Ashoka Hostel Reviews

A Blk. Flr. 13, A4 Chung King Mansion, 36 - 44 Nat,Tsimshatsui, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

there was cockroaches in the room.

• 5th Apr 2014

The room was small but that was expected, as was the shady building. If you overlook the random strands of hair on the towels and the mold in the bathroom, the room was reasonably clean. The only major thing we had a problem with during our stay was the cockroaches. I wouldn't stay here for the atmosphere, but it was an okay spot to sleep in for a few hours between long days of touristing. The location of the hotel couldn't have been better.

• 5th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

This hostel is small but clean. We had a double room with ensuite, it was tiny but did the job for a few days. Be aware of those hassling you as you come into th mansion. Our room was five floors down from the main reception we didn't mind as we area couple. Not great for meeting people though!!

It was my first experience staying at hostel. And I like it. First of all Ashoka Hostel is perfectly located at Kowloon, Tsim Sha Tsui subway station is very close, and not far from Ferry (for those who like to walk). All facilities are changed every day. The staff is very polite, I like friendly atmosphere of Ashoka Hostel.

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Russia

I don't think this hostel is proper to be called as hostel, and will never recommend to anyone in my circle to stay in.

• 26th Feb 2014
  • Indonesia

It was really good that I was told to ignore all the people downstairs. I don't know what would have happened had I trusted one of them and they tried to set me up with a different "guest house." The staff was great. The cleanliness was solid. Security would appear sketchy but I never really felt unsafe. I wish I could have met more fellow-travellers, but I got along just fine without it. The room got cold, but that was because of the surprise weather. TV only has 3 stations...

• 12th Feb 2014

Our stay at Ashoka was very short for only 2 days but I would say it was worth staying there.

The hotel is located on the 16th floor. The rooms are ridiculous small, but it is clean and not so much noise. The main entrance to chungking mansions can be a little bit shady but the hotel floor is fine. The location is super central. The wifi is ok.

The building it self maybe need an additional elevator especially for the service maintenance. Its not healthy to ride in the elevator after removing a bunch of plastic garbage . Its not also nice to see the linen and towels in the hallway. The pantry see to it that its always clean always fill water in the dispenser and have a ready lavatory for washing of utensils for your guest. Its nice to have 1 big bed and small one in 3 bedroom for your guest to move easily and conveniently.

• 19th Jan 2014
  • Philippines

No safe box

I stayed in a dorm with bathroom inside. Hot water at anytime, free wifi and a quiet environment there. The room has a tiny window, which did not help ventilation, making the room quite stuffiness, but it is common in Hong Kong. The staff there is helpful. Also, down to the building is a metro station, quite convenient for commute.

What the room lacked in size this small guesthouse/hostel made up for in good will and location. The staff are very friendly and quick to help out with most needs. Be prepared for a classic Hong Kong experience staying in this central location. Close the the Tsim Sha Tsui metro station, and 5 mins walk from anything! The beds are great, and facilities are well maintained, I've stayed in bigger hotels with less! Take the elevator to the 16th floor and start your holiday!

From what I read about other hostels in HK I think Ashoka is quite alright. I also had a bit of luck by having the girl at the reception when I checked in (she's a lot more welcoming than the guys) and getting the dorm with windows going out to the street. The elevator queue can be annoying, but other than that it's ok.

Ashoka hostel is definitly a hostel i would recommend to anyone who is travelling to Hong Kong. the location is set up in the prime area and the staff are super helpful and very understanding. they helped me when in need and i can never forget that. As for the hostel, the only 2 elevators are definitly a big let down as there are many people using it and you may end up waiting for 10 min or more. Double thumbs up fpr this hostel. Thank you for making my stay pleasant.

I know the phrase "you get what you pay for" is common to hostel reviews, but I genuinely thought this was a cut above that in terms of value for money. I had a private 1 bed (king-size) ensuite; yes, it was small but perfectly manageable (very much like UK student accommodation). Most important of all, it was spotlessly clean when I arrived - which counts for a lot. The staff were friendly and polite. WiFi was a but temperamental, but that is the only small complaint. Thoroughly recommended!

• 10th Nov 2013

not recommend

It was small but it is what we can expect at this price. The staff who welcomed me was very kind.

I've travelled 8 month - but I was never in such a bad hostel.

just fine. located in chungking mansions in tst area.perfect location.

Stayed 1 night in a 4 mixed dorm ensuite. Everything like in the description: 1x1m bathroom, fan+air con, noisy (room was facing the main street - earplugs!), airport bus stop close by. If you keep ignoring the situation on the ground floor, okay priced and very central location for your stay in HK.