Ashoka Hostel Reviews

A Blk. Flr. 13, A4 Chung King Mansion, 36 - 44 Nat,Tsimshatsui, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Great place to stay! Jag a blast, really nice staff. Even though it lacks a true social area you can meet people in chungking market

• 29th Jul 2015

no recommended to stay, no clean,

The location is everything - Chung King is right out side a mtr stop which takes you to the centre in two stops! Sheets and towels changed every day, v powerful aircon, tiny room and handheld shower but always hot and you get what you pay for - no complaints and would recommend!

• 15th Jul 2015

It was badly organised, we were moved around several times when we arrived while they tried to put us in lesser rooms than we'd paid for, despite having booked several months in advance. The building looked like a prison, with no communal areas at all. The staff were rude and disorganised. The bathroom was moldy and the sheets were stained. The location is great, but I would definitely go somewhere further out next to escape this place.

Too many people around will try to sell you stuff like suits

• 14th May 2015
  • Namibia

Mould on the toilet in dorms. Made me sick. Did not feel safe at the entrees to chunking mansion at night. To many people falling after you and drag you away.

• 6th May 2015
  • Sweden

There was lockers in the room however I wasn't given a lock or key to use this. I was given the wrong key for my room so when I came back at night I couldn't enter my room. My bed was the top bunk and it didn't have a barrier (luckily I don't roll in my sleep!) my towel had dirty stains on it, the bathroom is very dirty, needs a good refurbishment!

Amazing location at Chungking Mansions. Atmosphere lacking / not a great place to meet lots of people but perfect if you just want a roof over your head while you enjoy Hong Kong. Great city, loved my stay overall.

Very standard hostel, not too many backpackers. A lot of dodgy people at the entrance of Chungking mansion where Ashoka hostel is located inside. So just enter the house without talking to them, take the first lift on the left side and go to the 16th floor to check in although the actual hostel rooms are on the 13th floor.

• 10th Apr 2015

Thx to all the comments here I was mentally prepared and yes, especially when you arrive with your luggage you will be greeted by a hord of Indians/Africans who try to sell you anything (room, bags, handwatches and one time a full list of drugs). But just see it funny, or as woman say "don't touch me", it helps. However I found this hostel/hotel had everything I needed and the staff was always friendly to me! This is why I give 100%. I loved my view from the 16th floor - in the middle of HK!!

actually it's a good hostel to stay, but it doesnt have many facilities for the guests. and even the room is comfort, it's an extra small room. I suggest to add more facilities for the guests, like forks, spoons, or even a kitchen.

A GREAT STAY, STAFF ARE ALWAYS SO HELPFUL.

• 31st Mar 2015
  • China

It was nice and good highly recommended.

• 30th Mar 2015
  • Thailand

It was a great experience!!! Great location, top-notch client service experience.

• 29th Mar 2015
  • South Korea

The Chaktomuk Mansions are infamous for a reason; loads of scam artists, dodgy people, visa evaders etc huddling at the base of the building. Follow the instructions though provided by Ashoka and with a small bit of streetwise you can avoid any drama. The place itself is very basic and not much of an atmosphere but if you want to stay in HK on a budget and just need a place to rest your head at night, i would recommend this place.

Coming from SE Asia, where great hostels cost 5 or 10 USD a night - this was certainly a shock. The location within Hong Kong is Excellent. You are a ten minute walk from the ferry - which costs 2.5 HKD to cross to HK island. There are many restaurants nearby, and the MTR is right below you. The actual building, "Chung King Mansion", is sketchy. There are a lot of hagglers and drug dealers right out front. This hostel has no atmosphere and no common area. However, it is clean and comfortable.

Rooms were clean, serviced and more than adequate for sleeping and showering. They are small, but far from cramped. We had a twin room for two and the space was never an issue. The location is also superb and the price the best you can find on a budget. The building is indeed a little sketchy, but not at all dangerous, especially once you're inside your room. In fact, the building and its inhabitants were colourful and really interesting! Perfect for budget travellers.

No hot water for shower, no toilet paper, the towel had ear wax stains, the doors did not close properly so I had to carry everything with me, did not feel safe to leave my belongings there.

• 17th Mar 2015

tiny dorm for alot of money. but it is the best price for the best location. because everything is realy expensive in hongkong. nice place to stay just for sleep.

Good stay there. As with any budget hostel location in Hong Kong, the rooms are extremely small. But they are maintained well and are very clean with a small, but comfortable bed. There is a refrigerator in the common area. The location in Chung King Mansions is close to everything including Harbor Bay Waterfront and the ferries to Hong Kong Island and Macau and only a short walk to the subway (MTR.)