Backpackers Hostel & Pub Reviews

13 School Street Everett/Boston MA 02149, Boston, USA

i liked the orange paint on the sidewalk that led back from the train station. i didn't notice that listed on the website, but it was a bonus.

• 17th Sep 2013

Good atmosphere and excellent staff. A bit far from the center though.

• 16th Sep 2013

Overall a nice place, a little far from the centre of town but they do run a free shuttle to the local train station which makes getting around a lot easier.

• 14th Sep 2013

Pros: Convenient to MBTA Orange Line and Logan Airport. Situated in a quiet residential area outside the city. Many restaurants and stores in the immediate area. Free breakfast in the morning. Friendly, hard-working staff Pub and other common areas are fun and cozy Private shower and semi-private shower in the shared dorm Laundry service Cons: Plastic mattress covers = constant sweating. Shared PC's need regular maintenance (virus and error scans) and virus protection upgrade.

• 14th Sep 2013

I thought it had a great family feel to it-boston Ray, Chris were funny . The staff was very friendly and ran shuttles regularly and when requested . Breakfast was unlimited and often extended to accommodate for late sleepers. I saw former reviews and was very skeptical when arriving, this being my first hostel experience. I would stay there again without thinking twice. Not sure what the big deal was. Yes, it's an older house but I thought it had appeal it. Great price too, really people!

The female staff was friendly and gave suggestions for sightseeing in Boston. Although the location is horrible (the street could be the scene of a horror movie at night), there is a shuttle every 30 minutes to the subway station. The hostel advertises for having a bar but it isn't really. Although there were many people in the common room, everyone just sat there looking at their computer screen which made it a fairly dull place. Dorms were small (but sufficient), not enough bathrooms.

Well, even in US terms of what is considered OK to pay for a night in a hostel, the value for money in this place is really bad. paying 50usd+tax to get not-comfy bed, in a not-that clean and maintained room, and in a far-from-city-center hostel - that's too much. the good side is the shuttle which helps in getting to the subway station (15 mins walking if not).

Not a great location but the on demand shuttle service is very good. Very friendly staff who are more than willing to go out of their way to help you. It's a bit expensive for what you get, but overall it's worth a stay.

Enjoyed my stay here. Can have no real complaints other than the location, but they run a free shuttle bus. Only problem is if your coming in late and the shuttle has ended. The walk is poorly lit. Staff were friendly ad there was a good atmosphere.

The other reviews probably summarise it; there's nothing really wrong as such, there's just better hostels around. The location is an issue, but the shuttle does actually work fairly well and ultimately you're probably just going to head out in the morning and return in the evening, and for that it's a pretty minor inconvenience. Wifi doesn't extend to the rooms, which means that the common room is full of people on phones and laptops... but that seems to be fairly universal these days too.

Cost efficient.

Great help from ray and gus. Facilities are great. Overall had a fantastic stay.

• 9th Sep 2013
  • New Zealand

Location leaves a bit to be desired. Helpful staff and free shuttle make it bearable. Place is a little run down but if you're not too fussy then you'll be fine.

The hostel is quite common but is ok. Not specially fun or beautiful but It is a correct place to stay some nights. The location is not excellent because you have to take a bus and the subway but the hostel organise a free shuttle which pick you up at the subway station and drive the guests in the other way about each 30 minutes.

This was my first time staying at a hostel and I had my reservations before I went. I was pleasantly surprised at the service offered. The rooms were cleaned everyday and staff were more than helpful. It felt like a family atmosphere. If the opportunity ever arises where I have to stay in a hostel in Boston, Backpackers Hostel & Pub will be my first choice.

• 4th Sep 2013

I was surprised to find out that this hostel was further out of Boston than expected. The only time I had contact with staff was at check in and when I was ordering something to eat (phone was free to use). The hostel was one long corridor. My room smelled of bleach and I didn't feel comfortable. The communal area had a bunch of people all on computers, iPads, iPhones and did not look sociable at all! Good aspect was the staff run shuttle from hostel to train station! Not the best/worst.

it was a great place, the only incident was my lost laptop, but anyway, I should have used the lockers.

This was my second time staying at backpackers, and first time in a dorm room! I found the staff to be friendly and helpful (even offering me a lift to Wellington Station outside the shuttle hours when I was running late!). Luggage storage is offered free of cost which was fantastic as I was flying late evening. There was never a shortage of hot water and even the other guests were all considerate to each other. There is a great social feel to the hostel, with a good location!

• 30th Aug 2013

I would like to make special mention of the shuttle driver..(sorry cant recall his name).. a cheerful, friendly person.... very good staff in general.. breakfast though simple, tasted good.. however accommodation was cramped..there should not be more than 6 beds in a dormitory..

Its based in Everett, not Boston but they do provide a shuttle to the nearest station so its not too bad. The staff and people were very friendly. At 55$ a night I wouldn't necessarily call it cheap but then again I guess Massachusetts is expensive. It was one of the cheapest place I could find.