Backpackers by the Bay Reviews

12 Hermitage Drive, Airlie Beach, Airlie Beach, Australia

Really nice atmosphere with friendly and helpful staff. They host games which is a nice icebreaker if you want to meet people. Rooms, kitchen and bathrooms are cleaned throughout the day so no nasty mess builds up. It's a tiny bit away from the town, but it's only a 5 minute walk and they also run a shuttle. Definitely recommend this place!

Best hostel experience in Australia. This place has the most relaxed, chilled out vibe and I felt like family from the moment I walked in. Daily quiz nights to win a bottle of champagne (I was on the winning team... Twice!) were a highlight but I also loved just sitting around playing cards with the staff. Beautifully cool rooms with little padlockable briefcases for your valuables, clean loos and showers and great kitchen facilities too. Just awesome.

Unfortunately our beds weren't done when we arrived at about 12pm (Check-out is at 10am) and the room wasn"t cleaned, also not after we went to the beach and came back in the late afternoon. Wifi wasn't for free and didn't really work, for the price we pay it could be free and definately has to work.

Pub quiz is great. Air conditioning was brilliant and the hammocks were great. Slightly small kitchen but a huge dining area. Great place for before/ after whitsundays trips because its so close to greyhound and they do pickups!

• 23rd Jan 2016

Really friendly hostel. The quiz is a great ice breaker. It's a good location for trips and not too far from town. The hammocks and pool are great for relaxing and all the other facilities are nice and clean, overall a really friendly and chilled out hostel.

The hostel was fine for my weekend stay at Airlie Beach. I was in a 4 dorms room that was spacious enough, we had our own suitcase as a locker (bring a lock or rent it there for 10$). What could be improved is to have a light and an electric plug per bed. At winter time, the A/C only runs from 6.30pm till 9am the next day so it can be very hot in the room during the day. The bathroom is great, the breakfast is just ok (you have to pay an extra 3$) and free coffee/tea all day long.

Nice hostel, good beds and aircon in the rooms. Nice clean kitchen . Good outside space and nightly trivia quizzes to get to know others. The view is stunning. We arrived after reception hours and we had bedding and are key waiting. Would recommend

• 21st Jan 2016

Sheet on bed was torn. It was a bit far from centre of Airlie Beach as we got a private double room in a hostel in the Middle of Airlie Beach for the same price as 2 single beds in a quad room.

• 15th Jan 2016

Super chill place, busy and bustling from time to time, great place to meet other travellers.

Fun atmosphere with a good trivia night! They pick you up from the bus stop which is awesome! Could update some infrastructure but all in all a good experience

I wish I'd stayed here longer. Perfect location, friendly staff, very clean. I can't recommend them enough!! No noise as not next door to pubs but close enough to use them. Shuttle to the bus even though it's quite close, but in these temperatures you need the ride!!

I'm not sure I can say anything bad about BBTB as I had such a great stay there! Staff were really friendly and helpful, the nightly trivia was great fun and was a great way to get to know people. Bathrooms were pretty good and each bed had a shelf and small but adequate locker. My only complaint would be that the dorms need more plugs. The hostel is really near the bus station and Port of Airlie and is a ten minute walk from town. Would definitely recommend! Wish I could have stayed longer!

Fabulous hostel.... very chilled out vibe,nice people, clean, can't think of anything negative to say..... :)

Bed bucks!

• 21st Dec 2015

Really nice staff and very helpful

On arrival we were met by the reception staff just about to leave for the day and had left our keys in envelopes in reception, luckily ours was there but two girls hadn't found theirs and only just caught the staff in time to enquire about it. Showers and toilets were ok, but we had to always wait for a shower. Bags were left in reception- there was no storage rooms. Good thing was short distance to Greyhound and our boat start point.

Good hostel, got all you need!

• 14th Dec 2015
  • Sweden

Good location for the greyhound bus, 5-10 mins out of town. Quiet. Wasn't as easy to charge electronics as in other hostels as only two sockets between the four of us in the room, regularly taken up by the others especially if you are the last one in!

Place is clean, staff are friendly, good breakfast and they let you stick around if you have a late bus.

Very small rooms, small places for luggage, wifi isn't this good, but very friendly and helpful staff at the reception

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4