Backpackers by the Bay Reviews

12 Hermitage Drive, Airlie Beach, Airlie Beach, Australia

Good location 5 mins walk to town and not a party hostel very sociable and great for the location to greyhound bus

Good hostel, just outside the center so no partyhostel. But just 5 minutewalk and you are in heart of town. Nice and kind staff. Atmosphere is laid back and awesome.

In general good hostel, staff always there to help you, kitchen and bathroom clean, room quite spacious with a bench + a attaché case where to put your valuable.

Really nice hostel and great atmosphere.

A nice and friendly hostel to stay at,it is not too big so you will get a family feeling while here :)It´s located a short 4-5 minutes walk from the mainstreet in Airlie beach. One thing that annoyed me was that the staff was very quick to tell about the storage fee on $6 for luggage after check out if you haven´t booked the tour with the hostel. They told me twice about this but it turned out it wasn´t completely true when the owner came, the fee only applies if you leave your luggage overnight

I loved this hostel!! Peter the owner and his staff are AMAZING! Really helpful when it comes to booking tours etc so book through them they give great deals and fantastic guidance on which tour suites you best. They have great quiz nights and the atmosphere is just amazing. Toilets and rooms always clean and the air con won't let you down! It's super cool! A bit of a walk from town (10/15mins) but it's a nice walk if you go via the marina. Definitely recommend!!

Out of the way compared to other hostels. The front steps to the hostel are lethal very dangerous in the dark. Bathrooms are full of mozzys never been bitten so much!! No atmosphere at all so very boring not many people staying there. Flys all around the kitchen bins. Air con in rooms is very loud and too cold. Stay somewhere better!!

This hostel is pretty quiet no real party scene and is a 10-15 min walk to town where all the nightlife , shops and day activities are so that's a bit of an inconvenience . However the staff were great rooms clean and comfortable , kitchen was great full of everything you would need! Nice pool and hammocks to chill in ! It was far from town and the nightlife but was quiet so if you were sleeping and having a quiet night it was amazing !!!! ID stay here again

Lovely hostel up a hill only a stroll away from the main beach and lagoon, the quiz is a good laugh and adds to the atmosphere

Nice and calm hostel. The sheets in my room were dirty though, my sheets had dried up blood on them.

I loved my stay here. Not much to do, but I enjoyed hanging out with the peoe and nice staff. The bathrooms at first I thought were disgusting then later found out I had been using the boys only showers 😝 girls were much cleaner. They do fun trivia quizzes and heap bbqs every night and a pick up from the greyhound station :) wish I had longer to stay with these fun people. Nice and relaxing, perfect for a quiet, early to be early to rise backpacker like me.

• 31st Dec 2014

Friendly atmosphere,clean tidy and still fun.A rare mix in hostels these days. close walk to town and from coach stop if you choose not to take the free courtesy bus!

Front desk staff were great. There was rubbish under the beds & used chewing gum on one of the bedheads. Bathroom was dirty & the cleaners in the morning looked like they hated their lives/jobs. Great location, room was an okay size, but it's a shame it was grotty. I've travelled around the world staying in all sorts of accommodation & this was disappointing

• 26th Dec 2014

Thank you for taking the time to offer our hostel a review. We take any unfavourable reviews seriously and try to use them as a way to improve. While not trying to make excuses, but to clarify this for potential guests, may I point out that the time of your stay coincided with Xmas Day. As a small business we only open for 2 hours on Xmas Day. We try to give our staff as much time off as possible and therefore only offer a skeleton clean on that day, compared to normal.

Great location close to the Greyhound station and the pier. A little walk into town, but that means it is quiet and relaxing. Good atmosphere for meeting new people, and the quiz is really fun.

Do not stay here. I have travelled south America, New Zealand and Australia with my partner and this has to be the most filthy hostel we have seen. Had 3 nights booked but only stayed the one night as couldn't stay here. staff not doing there job in relation to cleaning. Ants all over kitchen counter, sink and wall. Cutlery drawers were disgusting. Food scraps on tables. Hostel is run by amateurs. Previous reviews about this hostel must of been done by the employees of friends. All lies.

• 24th Dec 2014

Good hostel for a couple of days. Rooms comfortable and clean. Showers and toilets need more cleaning. Otherwise great. All staff seemed to be French or German, no locals. Quiet and friendly.

Nice place to stay if you don't want to be in the party zone. It's a bit further out but the closest hostel to the bus station. There is just a one hour free wifi which i din't like! Nice wooden beds and working aircon.

Was a wonderful vacation with excellent staff who went above and beyond. Thanks again

• 5th Dec 2014

Short walking distance to the greyhound. We could store our luggage for the Whitsunday Tour and could use all the facilities afterwards! the kitchen equipment was not that good and one of the stoves didn't work well.

This hostel completely ruined our stay in Airlie Beach and is the worst we have ever stayed in. Don't get fooled by their offer to get a free night by booking the Whitsundays tour through them. We made this mistake, resulting in a non-existing trip. Although confirming it was booked, they had only put it on a "to-do list" and then forgot about it. Because of the peak season it was not possible to get on another overnight tour once we got there. The girl who messed up didn't even seem to care.

• 27th Nov 2014
  • Sweden

Thank you for taking the time to offer our hostel a review. While the info you have outlined above is correct, the moment this was brought to the managers attention, he tried everything possible to book you an overnight trip. He apologised, discussed all options and then booked you onto 2 separate day trips at a heavily discounted price, offered 2 nights accommodation free of charge due to the mistake made – in all, a saving of $200, which at the time you said was satisfactory to you.

View all Airlie Beach Hostels