Backpackers by the Bay Reviews

12 Hermitage Drive, Airlie Beach, Airlie Beach, Australia

I liked this hostel. It's a 10 minute walk from the center of town, but it means that the partying is kept to a minimum and you can sleep in peace. It was clean and comfortable with good storage space. The common room was a bit sparse--no couches or TV, but the kitchen is well stocked and the staff are nice

The pub quiz never started on time. ;-)

Great hostel, close walk to town but far enough away to be quiet. Friendly staff and relaxed atmosphere. Great place to meet fellow travellers over a few beers and some trivia at the bar.

• 5th Jul 2014

One of the best hostels ive stayed at so far. Nice common area, friendly people at reception, nice activities and in general friendly and diverse people staying there. Only disadvantages are that wifi is not free and that the walls are pretty thin so i woke up quite a few times at night.

Great hostel, nice staff and good location

Room smelt, even though window was open most of the time. Insects in the kitchen drawers. Good staff.

Really enjoyed my stay at By the Bay, it made a rainy week in airlie much better. Beds are super comfortable, and each bunk has a bench where you can keep your bag and clothes. Great kitchen, outside seating area and bar are great and everything is cleaned to a really high standard. Staff are really friendly, as they are backpackers themselves they are all aware of what the traveller needs. Wifi is really decently priced and has a good connection. I would definitely stay here again

Nice place, away from the town but not by far. Clean showers and toilets. Near to the bus station but still get picked up.

Staff was excellent, except for people literally living in the hostel for a year or so. The quiz is a nice initiative, the atmosphere is nice, location is out of city (10 minutes walk) but next to the bus station.

One of my favourite hostels I have stayed at in Australia. It's small so you can chat to most people that are staying there and get to know the staff. The rooms were nice with room for bags etc, however there were only 2 plugs between 4 people which can be annoying sometimes if everyone wants to charge phones etc. The bathrooms were clean, as well as the kitchen and communal areas. Good hostel if you just want a quiet night in as they do a quiz every night, but also good if you want to go out!

The hostel is clean and the staff are nice!

Such an amazing place, staff are so great, rooms are so clean and definitely worth what you pay! Perfect location, not too noisey but still good for getting a night going! I will miss this place so much and I reccomend it to anyone staying in Airlie! It's like a home, and they are my family!

• 10th Apr 2014

Short walk to town. Good that they do a quiz every evening to get people involved. No security lockers. Friendly staff.

I didn't enjoy my stay here at all. I trusted the reviews on hostelworld as they are usually pretty accurate, but they couldn't have been more wrong about this place. The hostel was very dated, the kitchen was tiny and full of ants everywhere, my room was dark and smelt musty, the showers would reduce to a drizzle when more than one was in use and there was absolutely no atmosphere at all. The hostel also turned into a party hostel every night with the staff being the main party starters! Awful.

l apologise to Nicole for anything we have done or not done to spoil her expectation of us - our kitchen has recently had a full makeover, but the reason that sugar ants will come in is because of food that is left by guests and every kitchen gets them in the warmer months and finally the lack of atmosphere may have had something todo with 'cyclone Ita' heading towards us - again my apologies

Had a great stay here! Very relaxed atmosphere, it is a 5 minute walk to town which means you are close to everything withhout the noice of the city bars. Triva games where a lot fun and where a great way to meet other people.

I loved this hostel! It's not that crowded and there is plenty of space for everybody. I loved to chill out in the garden, which overlooks the bay. The kitchen is very clean and offers all the facilities you need. Everynight is quiznight, which is always good fun. The best thing was to check in at 7am, after a long overnight busride, without extra fees. So I could take a nap straight away, which was a relief after the not so comfortable busride. Thanks for that guys :)

Impossible to talk to new people, even when joining in with activities. Very cliquey. Reception couldn't fake any enthusiasm. I wasn't warned that the "mixed" bathroom had urinals and is almost exclusively used by guys. Not the worst hostel around by any means, but not great for lone travellers.

We're really sorry that you did not seem to enjoy her stay but the issue with the mixed bathroom being used mainly by males is because she booked an 8 share room which is on the males side and every guest has it explained that the female only shower/ toilet block is on the,female side which all females can use - l am very disappointed though that she did not seem to be made welcome in a genuine way because l honestly think we have most attentive staff of any hostel - so l apologise wholehe

Nice hostel, really friendly and helpful staff. Beautiful view and relax atmosphere (and good night sleep!). Closest hostel to the Greyhound station and just a short walk to the city center. I really enjoyed my stay, definitely recommend.

Nicole was really friendly at the front desk, could do with free wifi but this seems to be a thing across all hostels in Oz! We stayed before and after going on cruise and it did the job. Could probably do with a general tidy up in the shower and toilet facilities but overall not too bad.

Great hostel! Fast wifi. Staff were super friendly and were able to recommend and book tours to the Whitsundays. There are tons of brochures around the hostel for tours all up the East Coast. AND they will book your next hostel for free. Nice, clean rooms, big kitchen, and pool. the hammock area was awesome to chill out. Have drinks if you want to, but is quiet if you want to hang out once partiers go into town. I will definitely recommend this hostel.

View all Airlie Beach Hostels