Bon Paul & Sharky's Hostel Reviews

816 Haywood Road, Asheville, USA

Although my time at the hostel was short, it was thoroughly enjoyable. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. I loved the giant wall map and the front porch is one of the best places to hang out and chat. The location is really cool and has a lot to offer. I totally recommend the gas station bar (brew pump). It is too fun.

• 20th May 2015

They were amazing!!!! Joey was sooooo helpful and nice!! It was completely worth the money and had cute shops all around. I would and will definitely come back!!! I love this place!!

• 5th May 2015

One of the better US hostels I've stayed in. Great staff; very helpful. Laid back atmosphere. Decent location with easy access downtown via a $1 bus. Lovely little place to stay, I highly recommend it.

We thought the room itself was good and clean, all the linens felt clean, and the bed was comfortable. The bathrooms didn't feel clean to us though. Mainly the bathtubs felt like they needed a good bleaching, which made the rest of the bathroom not feel clean (it might have been, but it was hard to tell). Also, there were people slamming doors after the 10:00pm "silent time" - I know the hosts likely didn't know that, but telling people to be careful with doors because it's LOUD in the rooms.

• 20th Apr 2015

Yep, painting the bathtubs is on our short list of things to do. Trust us though, we spray bleach in them twice a day (as well as wipe down the sink, toilet and floor). Sorry about the guests slamming doors. You'd think common courtesy would have people be quiet during quiet hours, coming in late, and not slamming doors. But alas, it happens in a hostel. We do offer free earplugs on the front desk in a hot pink box that says FREE real big on it. Maybe you missed that.

I stayed overnight while passing through. Decent hostel in a lively neighborhood. Helpful staff and a good kitchen. The bathrooms could do with a renovation, but they were cleaned regularly. I'd stay here again.

Super friendly staff and full of Asheville's city knowledge. I would stay there again if I am around. And yes the dog is friendly too !

John and Lauren were wonderful and very helpful! The beds were comfortable and the hostel was overall very clean and well organized. The neighborhood was warm and welcoming and there was lots to do within walking distance of the hostel. Could not have asked for a better place to stay!!

• 16th Jan 2015

The location in West Asheville is good, the beds are comfy, and the hostel is clean. Unfortunately, two unacceptable issues marred my stay. First, no staff were on hand one night. The hostel devolved into obscene pandemonium. A family of five found it so intolerable as to leave. Second, a vicious dog is kept at the hostel. The dog snarled and lunged at me more than once, bit my shoes, and bared its teeth and put them around my hand and my leg. This animal is an accident waiting to happen.

We're sorry for your unfortunate stay. The night we did not keep regular hours was Thanksgiving. Our apologies the other guest here that night did not behave themselves as we spent time with our families. The dog is a puppy and a herding breed. She has nipped at, but never drawn blood from anyone. She'll be moving out soon to avoid any potential incidents.