Brighton Youth Hostel.....by the Sea Reviews

11 Seafield Road, Brighton, England

Firstly, this Hostel is 3 blocks from the sea... In Hove, not Brighton. Breakfast is modest in price, and very close to local bus routes. Most of the staff was amazingly polite and helpful, however some seemed inconvienienced at being asked questions. Very tiny bathrooms...

We were a little worried after reading some of the reviews but were pleasantly surprised. The hostel was very clean and welcoming, and for what we paid great value for money! We didn't stay for breakfast so can't comment on that, but used the kitchen facilities in the evening and that was nice. Our only issue was that we were on the third floor and there's no lift, so ask for a room on the ground floor.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • British Virgin Islands

The entrance was scary and creepy, there was no light in the reception that was underground. The room, the sheets and the beds were dirty and really uncomfortable. It is far from city center, you need to take the bus (at least 30 minutes by walk). The shower... oh my god... worst shower ever! There was not a drop of even slightly hot water. I froze for five minutes (i couldn't stay any longer). Maybe if it was cheaper we wouldn't feel that angry, but the price/quality ratio is no good. To avoid

• 14th Jun 2014

DO NOT GO TO THIS HOSTEL We didn't like the hostel AT ALL: first, more than 35£/pers for a 16 bed dorm = RIP OFF. Wanna pay by card? = +5% Check out: 10am on a sunday morning: come on!! if you want to stay until 12am: please add 5£/per: WTF ??? We arrived at 2.45pm: room not ready: so why is the check out so early? Dirty room, 1 bathroom for 16 people, and check out at 10am: how could we all have a shower? The atmosphere is dark and gloomy. And the city center of Bright is a 40min walk...

Really enjoyed my stay here, friendly people and clean rooms. The garden is shut overnight though, which was a pain for me as I needed to get my bike early in the morning.. Other than that can't complain.

• 8th Jun 2014

Go to this hostel if you like being shook down for as much money as possible. Normal check out times were way too early forcing you to have to pay to check out later. They even charge you to store your bags in a space which is not even secure. This surely goes against everything that the hospitality industry should stand for. The location is also far away from the main righton station and nightlife. Do no go here.B

DON'T STAY HERE! This was the worst hostel experience ever. Pictures of this hostel are misleading. This is a dark, dirty and horrible place that left us in tears. The room was awful - filthy floor, squeaky, uncomfortable beds and a tiny bathroom with a toilet that didn't flush. We shared our 4 bed female dorm with a homeless woman who had been placed there. Spent our time trying not to touch anything and staying at cafes as late as possible so we didn't have to be at the hostel. DISGUSTING!!!!!

The staff was very bad informed - to give an example: I called from Brighton station to ask what bus I had to take. The receptionist told me that she don´t now and then guessed a wrong bus number!

• 29th Apr 2014

The main problem has to do with the ventilation. The whole building was not equipped with any ventilation system and the room that I stayed the windows couldn't be opened. However, the whole premises were being maintained clean in general. With a few exceptions, the staff was not kind, they didn't even say 'Good morning'. Finally, There were only 3 obsolete PCs and 2 of them were out of order. However, for approximaterly 9 pounds per night it's value for money is ok.

• 10th Feb 2014