Cambie Hostel - Gastown Reviews

300 Cambie St., Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

I usually stay at the other Cambie Hostel but it was booked up for the night. Wow! I had a friggin' double bed! I couldn't believe it! And my room window was facing internally so no pub noises for once!!!! It was a good stay but a little far from everything except for Gas Town. PS You get very tired of the breakfast muffin.

Very good burgers and sandwiches in the cambie bar. Very Very good location for any Trips in and around vancouver. We will definetly come back!!! The only thing we didnt like was the Kitchen and especially the dirty fridge. It would have been nice if the showers were a little Bit bigger.

• 19th Jul 2014

It was in a good location and I had a relatively relaxed and troublefree stay. Other reviews mentioned the noise before I booked so I was aware there was an issue and a bar downstairs. For me, it was OK because I liked the music and slept well. Occasional loud noise on the street was an issue one night though and did wake me up. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

This hostel was extremely unclean. For example the floor was extremely dirty. There were some pieces of chewing gum stock on the floor of the room. The staff was really nice tough.

• 17th Jul 2014

The bar is great but the hostel itself needs a revamp. The communal toilets were not great. There was only 1 working womens toilet for the whole 2nd floor the whole week we were there. The rooms are basic and the wifi came & went a lot. There are a lot of beggers & drug dealers about but they don't bother you. The good thing is the location is great & the staff here are friendly, informative & helpful. Just wish the hostel could have a makeover coz what you get for your money isn't great.

I'm an experienced traveller who have stayed in plenty of hostels over the years. This one has an excellent location and is very cheap - Vancouver is an expensive city. We were staying during a heat wave and even though I'm sensitive to cold, the heat was unbearable. It would've been nice with some fans. The bar downstairs is infamous for being loud, and I must confirm that it was difficult to sleep. Try to avoid the first floor if possible. In addition, the room were we stayed was leaning...

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

I don't mind staying in old buildings but I do mind cleanliness, the private bathroom was really old and very minimal I shall say. The bed was lack of elasticity which refelcts that it doesn't have support anymore. I stayed at this Hostel to give it a try during my one week stay in Vancouver and unfortunately I won't go back again. The staff were friendly but I understand that they only have one person on duty which makes check out or whenever people need things more difficult.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • Taiwan

Stayed 2 nights in a 2 bed female room. There was a heat wave going on and it was very hot and stuffy indoors, not built for that type of weather. No lockers in the room, but 2 mouse traps in the corners - one of which went off in the middle of the night (thankfully without catching an animal). The lock on the room door wasn't working properly, and the staff were mildly uninterested in helping/fixing it. Over all a below average hostel stay. Bathrooms pretty clean. Ok breakfast.

• 10th Jul 2014
  • Sweden

Overall pretty good. Some dodgy areas around the hostel (obviously out of their control) but it may pay to forewarn guests - saw some crackheads fighting it out. Would've been nice to have more group activities to try and meet more people around the hostel.

Great location but VERY NOISY do not expect to get any sleep. Is above a huge pub which is really fun and cheap but if u actually want to sleep maybe this hostel is not for you or get some good ear plugs

Me and 2 girlfriends stayed in the Cambie recently in a female dorm for 4 and got lucky enough to have the room to ourselves. The staff was super wonderful and accomodating and helped us in determining what we should do with our evening. The hostel was filled with warm people left and right and the Pub right below was so convenient for a well priced dinner/drinks. I would go back in a second!

• 19th Jun 2014

I had a pleasant stay. Facilities clean and tidy, bar and food on ground floor, nice breakfast served with coffee next door for $5. Great wifi! Everything you need for a comfortable stay.

We stayed Saturday night. Our room was on third floor, street side. Weather was nice and a lot of the bar noise spilled onto the street late into the night.

• 14th Jun 2014

VERY friendly and accommodating staff. Wish the room I stayed in had a window that could open; it got pretty stuffy at times.

• 13th Jun 2014

My only comment to travelers would be to pack light because there's no elevator. I learned that the hard way dragging my bag up flights of stairs. I was a solo female traveller and always felt safe and secure in the shared room, but I did wish there were lockers inside. Awesome location with convenient bus routes nearby and a quick walk to China Town, the Vancouver Lookout Tower and the harbour. Cool bar with really good food and drinks for low prices, which is hard to find in Vancouver.

Old locks on doors should be replaced.

• 30th May 2014

Absolutely atrocious, will never stay here again. Soo noisy, and basically non exists be wifi. Freezing cold. A female toiled over flowed and when the maids were informed pretended to not understand to avoid having to clean up. Terrible front desk. Not enough showers, toilets and the showers are tiny.

Atmosphere and who you meet in the bar or social room makes this hostel well worth staying in.

Great location and good atmosphere. Could do with better lighting in the dorms and also shower facilities and internet connection weren't the greatest.

It was awful and I'll never stay in it again