Cambie Hostel - Gastown Reviews

300 Cambie St., Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

Staff made me feel welcome from the moment I arrived, and always had time to discuss happenings around the city. Ryan especially stands out amongst a strong group. Will definitely be back. Thanks guys.

Met four different staff members at the hostel reception during my stay and they were all so friendly, welcoming and helpful! Maybe they could teach a few things about being friendly to your bar staff.....?!

• 13th Feb 2015
  • Scotland

The staff were friendly - they took the time to learn our names - very helpful and the location was very good in relation to getting around Vancouver. The bar downstairs was very loud so don't expect much sleep on a Friday or Saturday night. In terms of facilities only one shower was working in the ladies and the kitchen was very, very small and in comparison to other backpackers which I have stayed at, was not up to scratch. Only one person would be able to cook at a time which isn't practical.

• 6th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

This place is nothing special, the bar downstairs being the highligh.

I really enjoyed my stay. The location was great, and the staff very friendly. The pub below was a treat to patron since it had amazing staff, and tasty food for a fair price. Overall a great environment to come back to after a day of adventuring to explore Vancouver.

• 30th Jan 2015

Great stay at Cambie. Thanks especially to Ryan at the front desk, who is truly a gentleman & a scholar, and who works tirelessly to ensure customers' complete satisfaction.

The Cambie Hostel is a very good place to stay in Vancouver. The staff is super nice and helpful. Being connected to the Cambie bar and the bakery, the hostel is well located. It's always fun to go downstairs and have some drinks at the bar as there are a lot of people. Compared to other hostels, the beds are good and you can easily stay there for several nights.

• 17th Jan 2015

I had an amazing stay at the Cambie Gastown. The staff were over the top helpful and went out of their way to assist you or solve minor issues that arose. I will recommend to all my friends heading to Vancouver.

• 7th Jan 2015

Our stay at the Cambie Hostel was very nice and we will be back. We stayed there new years eve and with the hostel connected to the bar we couldn't have asked for much better. The staff was very nice and helpful with any questions we had. The rooms could have been cleaner. Ours had some left over trash on the floors from previous tenants, but we weren't too upset with it. Also, we didn't have any lockers in our room, but the one my friend was in had 4 lockers and the beds were the same price.

When we went there was an issue with the ensuit bathroom. But the staff were quite eager to fix the problem. Go Cambie hostel.

• 10th Dec 2014

Good atmosphere. Just around the corner from the Amsterdam Cafe. Over there you can smoke or use a vaporiser. Enjoy

The best staff you'll find in Van. Great location and atmosphere!

Both sinks in the kitchen were broken and dirty dishes were piling up which made cooking impossible. The shower in my room was cold, lockers were broken... I wouldn't go there again.

I understand that hostels tend to be party locations, but the groups partying in the upstairs common areas were out of control the Friday night I stayed there. In addition, the bathrooms were disgusting - pipes were leaking over the shower, there was a bandaid by the sink, empty bottles everywhere... and my comforter had a burn hole in it. Very unpleasant place to sleep (actually, not much sleep happened, to be honest). Would not recommend.

• 21st Nov 2014

This hostel is in dire need of renovation. My room was small and my bed was vibrating still at 3am from the music from downstairs which made it very difficult to sleep. The bathroom was pokey and small. Every time I lifted up the toaster about 3-5 cockroaches would run out from underneath and I was eating one day and I heard a mousetrap go off and another day while I was eating a mouse ran from under the sink to under the fridge. The staff were great, friendly and helpful with my early checkout.

The night receptionist was unfair and punished us for bringing two people we just met into the bar and claimed we "snuck them into the hostel". Resulting in us walking the streets at 3am with 30kg of baggage and no money.

• 25th Oct 2014

I sent a facebook msg to the manager and got no reply or acknowledgement of the message, the visit was decent, but the staff was not. I did not receive a receipt nor sign anything acknowledging my card charge, therefore it can be disputed. I also told the desk attendant at 11pm that someone had vomited in the shower...4am it still had not been cleaned up. One morning the front desk attendant had been terribly rude to us for no reason besides being cranky. The beds were comfortable thankfully.

• 18th Oct 2014

social place with a great bar and international people

• 19th Sep 2014

Bad hostel to stay, poorly ran. Kept us waiting to check in for 2 hours and wanted us to stay elsewhere due to bed bugs and not even refund the deposit or compensate in any way. Managed to get a room for the night there, but I wouldn't of stayed another if they had paid me.

Good location, right in Gastown and near Skytrain stations. Noisy as it is beside a bar. I can't complain about as I knew that beforehand. Beds were terrible. I could feel the springs of the mattress digging into me. The men's showers were small and did not have hot water. Some showers didn't even function. Floorboards were old, creaky and there were parts where if you step hard enough you could fall through. Had to wait 15 mins to get checked in. I recommend Same Sun on Granville instead.