Cambie Hostel - Gastown Reviews

300 Cambie St., Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

Bunk bed in a dingy room. One uncovered plug in the room behind an empty bed frame. Internet didn't work in the rooms. No lights by the bed. Super loud - my bed was a 2 person room over the bar with insanely loud bass and music in the room until early morning hours. When I mentioned the Internet and the fact that I hadn't slept because of the music, the manager Ryan was super rude and then started yelling at me in front of all the people in the lobby. Then tried to kick me out for complaining.

• 30th Jul 2015

Best for a short stay. Very nice guests and staff, the bar downstairs is busy all week and very good!

• 28th Jul 2015

The rooms were really dirty and hot with no fan or air con. I barely slept and there was a really unpleasant smell in our dorm. A few of my belongings went missing and the staff were really unhelpful. I woke up to a cockroach on my pillow and I was on the top bunk! On my last night I came back late and my friend had the key upstairs. They assumed I was trying to sneak in and were very rude, basically tried to drag me downstairs so they could check my ID. Very very unhappy with the whole stay.

• 28th Jul 2015

If you arrive at night/late evening, you will probably have a bad first impression because you need to pass through the crowded and loud bar and it looks pretty old and dirty at night. The rooms and washing rooms are okay but old. If you are looking for a huge party mess, this is the place to stay! The location is perfect!

Very loud. Most nights I could sleep with my ear plugs but the last night the base was so thumping I couldn't get to sleep. Staff was very nice throughout my stay.

The member staff did not tell me about the key chip to open the door to the second floor, which I thought just a key holder. It was very easy to come off and when I asked how to get up to the second floor, it had come off and I would be charged if I couldn't find it. Luckily, someone had found the chip in the bathroom had taken it to the front dest, but they shouldn't have put the chip in a way which is easily disconnected and told me it is for opening the the door.

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Japan

Very pleased with my stay at the Cambie. Loved the neighborhood, the no curfew and the facilities provided. Everything was clean and in fair shape. The bar & next door breakfast place attached were great and made the atmosphere feel much more welcoming and safe. Would definitely recommend the Cambie and would stay there again.

• 25th Jul 2015

The location is nice and it could have been a nice hostel but: - not enough showers - washroom is tiny (at least on first floor), no space to put your stuff and get changed - washrooms are dirty - beds are awfully old and loud - dorm door didn't lock at all - it smells either like weed or food from the kitchen downstairs - rooms are run down - no plugs in the washrooms (so no hairdrying or shaving or...) - not enough plugs in the bedrooms Not worth the money you pay

Hostel is right above a famous bar in an interesting part of downtown. Kitchen well-equipped with a good vibe in the common room. The free breakfast is coffee and a large muffin--good enough. Wifi is good when it's working, but it's not always working. Dorms are small and crowded. Mine had one electrical outlet and broken lockers. Bathrooms are not private but acceptable. This would be a great hostel with better internet, a few fixes, and more plugs. But overall, I would stay here again.

Best thing about this hostel is the price. I had a top bunk with no rails. The ladder could detach, would wobble, and had a hole in the first rung from a natural knot in the wood. I was too scared of moving around and getting down from the bed to be able to sleep well. In the morning I found a clump of hair in the bed that wasn't mine. Live music was played until 3am, so not a good place to stay if you want to sleep earlier.

Hey! I had an awesome time at the Cambie Gastown! However, the washrooms could honestly be improved a little - especially the tiny one on the 1st floor... PLEASE SIMPLY ADD SOME HOOKS - CHEAP AND EASY :-) Thank you for a great time & many cheers !!

• 22nd Jul 2015

Everything was great, free breakfast from the cafe next door, awesome!

sorry i lost my keys, i will try harder next time to keep them handy. be well

• 18th Jul 2015

The bed was one of the best I've had at a hostel, but for a room of 4, and there were only 2 outlets and 4 lockers, one of which was broken. For the entire floor, there is one bathroom with only 2 showers and 2 toilets. There wasn't a common room to hang out and meet people- only a large bar, where there were many people not from the hostel. It is very loud at night b/c of the bar. But, they will store your bike for free, bfast is very good, and the people working the desk are friendly :)

Very friendly staff. The hostel includes also a very nice bar, which I visited several times after I had to move out, because all was booked.

• 16th Jul 2015
  • Denmark

The facilities are ok, but the location is great and I met very nice people. I'll definitely come back for my next stay in Vancouver.

The staff was incredibly friendly. The location was superb. The rooms were a good size. I thoroughly enjoyed the bar downstairs and the general hostel experience. Two things that could use work: 1) Wifi could use some work, it seems that the best place for Wifi was in the stairwell. We met some good blokes there but it would have been nice to have consistent wifi in our room. and 2) the beard guy that runs security for the bar should relax a bit. He was way not chill.

I'd realy enjoyed my stay at the cambie because you could meat soo many funny other traveler :) the only thing i would recoment that the cambie shoult at least provide some oil and salt for cooking reasons :) other than that AWESOME!

• 15th Jul 2015

The rooms were quite dirty and the floor boards in the hallway were in disrepair.

Great place to stay. Central. Great staff. Nice pub. Within a block of Vancouver film school.

• 12th Jul 2015