Cambie Hostel - Gastown Reviews

300 Cambie St., Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

The hostel was in a great location, near public transportation, Gastown, and the Waterfront. The staff was very helpful and willing to recommend places to check out. The hostel was very loud, with a lot of noise coming from the bar downstairs and the street outside. If you are not into drinking and partying, this hostel may not be the best choice. Some of the hostel seems to be in disrepair, the hallways are very warped and pigeon feathers and droppings tend to drift in through open windows.

I was happy to be welcomed so friendly at the hostel. The atmosphere was lively and was a good introduction to the atmosphere of the City. The adress is comfortable to explore Vancouver. Thank you for my first night in Canada.

• 22nd May 2015

Large very clean rooms. Noise from the bar comes up right through the window, so if you are planning on sleeping before 2AM bring earplugs. Bathrooms are clean but could benefit from a privacy curtain around the shower so you can dry off out of the shower cubicle but not in middle of the bathroom. Also some hooks to hang clothes would be helpful, Breakfast is great.

Great central location with easy transit access. The staff were also helpful and always welcomed me with a smile. Maybe advertise the Cambie Card a bit more. I know it made my stay more affordable and I'm sure it could do the same for others. Overall, good experience. It was a little weird waking up one morning to see a man who could've been my grandfather asleep on the bunk across from me though.

Good value for a great location. Wi-fi was not terribly debendable but managemt indicated improvements are on the way. Good place for meeting fellow travelers. A few more plugs would be handy for charging smart phones and tablets.

• 14th May 2015

Fantastic place to stay. Good atmosphere, decent coffee and muffin for brekkie too.

I hs Had bad expiriences there. The kitchen is too small snd always dirty. The bathrooms are also too tiny. How can a whole floor share only 2 toilets and 2 showers? The rooms are really dirty. There are no rules about eating in the room which result in a lot of left over trash and crumbs leading to mice. II didn't feel comfortable there. The house is super old and falling apart. The pub attached to it is really nice and the location of the hostel is right downtown whic is good.

Thanks for staying and we appreciate your feedback! In just 3 weeks guests will find the kitchen fully renovated with 2 fridges,2 stoves,2 microwaves, plus a wall removed for a ton of extra space! We're all very excited! We do have facilities on 3 floors and some rooms, showers are all brand new too. The hostel is kept clean daily by a team of housekeepers..and if anything isn't up to expectations when they're gone please see front desk! We're always happy to help with anything :)

Excellent hostel, very helpful staff, sweet bar with events and great food, great cafe next door. Will def stay again when in Van!

While the location was great, the staff was very friendly and the breakfast option superb - I wasn't very impressed with this hostel. The facilities weren't very clean. There were mouse traps in our room and bedbug warning everywhere (which are good for precautionary purposes, I suppose, but unsettling). After our first night, which required earplugs since the walls are paper thin, I went to the bathroom and found a half-full bottle of vodka in the toilet and beer cans. Lovely!

• 9th May 2015

Old building; a lot of construcion going on when I was there. Only 1 barhroom available. One gigantic bar downstairs with super loud music - not exactly the best place to meet other travellers.

There was snot on the ceilling above my bed, and it gets REALLY noisy at night, so bring ear plugs.

• 7th May 2015

My partner and I stay here every time were in Vancouver. It's the cheapest hostel for private rooms with a kitchen. We also love gastown such a better neighbourhood to be in than Granville street! The only thing is almost every time were checking in there's abit of a lineup of people to check in.

It was alright. Norhing more than we expect, but we had a good time. Good location, the little breakfast is a plus, and the rooms looks clean. You have acces to a kitchen, but with a very minimum of facilities. Lots of place for improvment in that side.

• 1st May 2015

Front desk staff 24/7 was great. The beds were really comfy and huge. The muffins are so good! But don't go there if you want a calm stay. It's over a bar, so obviously it's loud. The kitchen area was never really cleaned. There was no light in our side of the dorm so we couldn't see a thing at night. The lockers are very small. It's an old building so it could be kind of cool but instead just mostly felt like it was falling appart. But the location is amazing and it's a great place to party.

Home away from home. Have come back to the hostel many times since being in Canada. Ryan is super helpful and friendly and the other staff are just as good. Even though it's a bit of an old hostel it's always very clean - apparently renovations are happening soon to update it and make it better. Stay in the 8 bed dorm if you want to meet people. If you're staying for a few nights make use of the Cambie card. Great breakfast deal. Downstairs the bar is always pumping - gives a great atmosphere.

It was awesome! I loved it. Everyone was very nice and super helpful. The location was perfect, get off the plane, take the train, and then walk two blocks! I am definitely comming back.

• 30th Apr 2015

This was the worst hostel I have ever stayed at. It's impossible to sleep at night because the entire room was shaking, the rooms are really crowded and unclean, and there was a guy in the girls washroom when the shower stall is right across from it! Please avoid!

Great hostel. Free breakfast, which is always a bonus. Strong wi fi throughout the whole place. Only downside was the showers weren't very private, but hey, its hostel life!

great hostel, great staff, great atmosphere! highly recommend it!

The beds in my room were INSANELY uncomfortable. The bottom bunk (mine) had a thin, soft mattress that made every slat painful on my back - AND was missing a slat right where your upper back hits. The upper bunk was a rock hard mattress, and the whole structure was VERY rickety. The noise level was tolerable if you listened to an ipod at night (or was on the 2nd floor). I was given keys to two different (occupied) rooms before I was given a key to my room that had a spot so their records are bad

• 25th Apr 2015