Cambie Hostel - Gastown Reviews

300 Cambie St., Vancouver, Vancouver, Canada

Great place to stay. Central. Great staff. Nice pub. Within a block of Vancouver film school.

• 12th Jul 2015

This place is in a great neighbourhood and well located to the sky train etc. The room was a little hot and loud, and could have done with a good clean. But it was a good price and the beds were clean and comfy. Great helpful staff too. Best bit was lush muffin and coffee at the place next door for breakfast - that was worth about 6 bucks alone so it was good value.

Loud from crazy bar downstairs.

I read in the reviews that it was loud, so I knew what was coming.

super small (see through) showers. LOUD bar, that runs till 2 am right outside. bar staff were not friendly. a bit run down and dirty. free breakfast was good and nice location overall, decent place, a bit run down and loud but decent prices for Canada

One of our friends had accidentally booked one bed in a room of six instead of the entire 6 person room, and the staff was INCREDIBLE helping them sort it out. The staff at the front desk worked hard to make something work and ended up finding everyone a bed / allowing a few of them to pay a guest charge to stay in the room I had booked. It could not have worked out better and we are so grateful!

• 5th Jul 2015

We enjoyed meeting new people and sharing time in the kitchen with other guests.

• 3rd Jul 2015

We had so much fun

• 3rd Jul 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

The showers are better and the beds were bigger than the Seymour location. The downstairs bar was always packed and noisy and I was pleasantly surprised I couldn't hear it at all from my room. The breakfast upgrade right next door can't be beat.

I enjoyed the staff and understood that you get what you pay for, however the quality/state of the linens with cigarette burns, etc. had me not chancing it and sleeping on top of them. There was only one outlet by the light switch which sucked (however, I am sure this is due to the age of the building and difficult to change). The utterly worst part were the mice. Tons of mice. TONS. I did not see any in my room, but in the commons area at night there were upwards of 10+ running all over. Yuck.

• 1st Jul 2015

Great location, staff and atmosphere.

• 30th Jun 2015

Room was extremely hot without ac or a fan. Much warmer in room than outside temperature.

• 28th Jun 2015

・Staff was so kind. ・Too noisy in midnight. ・Bathroom was so tiny.

• 27th Jun 2015
  • Japan

We loved the Cambie Gastown! The staff was fabulous and we felt very safe. We were there when the temperatures in Vancouver were close to 30C so the room was very hot (as there was not much air flow) but it was bearable and understandable since Van doesn't usually get such hot weather and it's in an old building. The pub attached to the hostel looked so fun -we only stayed one night so didn't get a chance to check it out. Would recommend this hostel to others and would definitely stay again :)

• 25th Jun 2015

The cambie is rad! You meet cool people and are in a great location.

• 25th Jun 2015

The hostel rooms are on top of a bar, so depending on where your room is it can get quite noisy very late into the night. The staff was really helpful and friendly, the location is excellent. The breakfast was good and convenient. If the room lockers were a bit bigger that would be great. Otherwise it was a good place to stay!

The front desk were extremely helpful and friendly. Had a great location being right next to the sea bus and the train station. Would stay again

Mice run freely in the kitchen on the first floor. Partying in the pub downstairs is rowdy and if you like to sleep at night, then this will bother you. The building is old and the floors are wooden and dirty. I did like the cheap laundry and the free muffin and tea for breakfast next door. Wifi was slow or only intermittent. Location was in the middle of a neighbourhood overflowing with the smell of burnt drugs. Overall a very poor hostel experience.

• 21st Jun 2015

Was initially sketched out by the neighborhood and the atmosphere on arrival, but the extremely friendly man at the desk immediately dispelled that. It's got a very grungy, down-to-earth charm to it, and it certainly was outside of my comfort zone, but I loved it. The staff here was extremely helpful, plus the bar downstairs has some pretty great beers on tap, not to mention a very lively nightlife. There are no lockers, so have a lock that can fit your luggage. Definitely would stay here again.

I very much enjoyed my stay at The Cambie. The only thing that slightly bothered me were the small holes in my ceiling, on the top bunk I was very close to the ceiling and imagined lots of creepy bugs crawling out every night when I was trying to fall asleep. But I still had a great time!