Castanea Old Town Hostel Reviews

Kindstugatan 1, Old Town, Stockholm, Sweden

-best hostel I visited -everything clean and looking nice and modern -comfortable common room with no tv (I think thats good, but others might think its bad), but near the hostel are pubs if you want to watch sports -slept in the 16 dorm without problems -there is a luggage room and in the 16 dorm are lockers. -reception times for check-in/-out are rather short (9:00-11:00 and 15:00-18:00) but the 3 days I was there, the recption was opened earlier/longer. -good email communication

• 21st Jun 2014

We had a pretty good stay at castanea. On side : Facilities are very clean Hostel is located in old city center, walk distance (15min) to Centralen station On - side : Sheets are charged for 7,5€! 16 people dormitory room might be noisy (especially when people are going in and out)

Really enjoyed my stay here, staff was friendly and the showers were surprisingly good! My one comment would be that (with the long daylight hours in summer) some darker curtains would have been nice, the white ones in the small twin room I was staying in don't do a lot to block out the light, so an early wakeup was inevitable.

• 19th Jun 2014

One of the best kitchen set ups I've seen. Excellent location. Fast internet. Friendly, knowledgable staff. Lovely guests. Plenty of toilets and showers. The place was cosy but never felt cramped.

We had a very pleasant stay and felt very comfortable.

Excellent value for money in stockholm withe the perfect location

the basement floor Only have One toilet, its crowded! (there are Only tourist in old town)

• 8th Jun 2014
  • Denmark

Everything was perfect apart from the fact that there are not many toilets or showers, but I was lucky that I used them at non-busy times.... excellent location and very friendly staff!! ;)

I stayed two nights in a 6-bed dorm. + The woman checking me in was really kind and helpful. Location was great, charming area. (hard to find a place where to get a late snack in the night though) Fully equipped kitchen, must have been nice for those who used it. You need to enter three codes before you are down in bed, that's safety. - The wifi was a bit sensitive, but good when working. The bunk beds were noisy when moving around. Only three toilets, I think? Although not a bit hostel.

Thank you for your kind words! Really nice to have guests like you :-). Sorry the bunk beds were noisy in your room, we will have to look into that. Good you let us know, so we can adjust. There are five toilets. Welcome back to Stockholm and to Castanea!

Top! Really want to come back again.

• 5th Jun 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed at! The newly renovated showers were great with a sink and area for changing, and although there were only 5 showers for the whole hostel I never had to wait. The rooms were spacious, and the windows big, providing plenty of light and fresh air. Also a great location in beautiful Gamla Stan, although it's a pricey and touristy area. However it is a bit of a nuisance that there is no check-in before 3pm as my boat arrived from Turku at 7am.

• 1st Jun 2014
  • Finland

Very friendly and helpful staff and especially really good location. Will stay again during my next visit of Stockholm.

You are always welcome!

Older female traveling with 20's daughter, my first hostel experience. Found staff friendly and accommodating, facility very clean. Liked the kitchen policy, quiet after 23:00 was helpful too. Shared bathrooms just fine, no problems. Great experience overall, budget-friendly in the city!

• 26th May 2014

Really nice hostel! The 6 person room is nice and light, if a little squishy when everyone is trying to get ready for the day. Very short reception hours: 9-11 or 12 and then check in from 3-6. Could be a problem if you're coming it at an awkward time and want to leave your bags. Overall nice hostel, a bit pricey, but in a beautiful part of Stockholm and close to the metro station.

Really glad you liked Castanea! There is no problem arriving late (or any time), just contact us before arrival and we provide you with all information you need to get in. Welcome back early or late :-)

Nice hostel. Location is beatyful an not too far away from all the good stuff (walking distance). Would book the same hostel next time again.

• 23rd May 2014
  • Switzerland

Very nice location, walking distance to all the other islands. The staff are very polite and gave allot of good suggestions. Stayed in the 16 bed dorm, good infrastructure overall. Would recommend this to everyone!

Thank you for recommending Castanea! We do our best...

The hostel was in a great location, but can be very tricky to find if you are not familiar with the old town. I would recommend using Google Maps location or GPS your first time getting there. The hostel had a very homey and cozy feel to it with a great atmosphere. The common area was small, but comfortable and great for meeting others. Everything was very clean and the kitchen was spacious. The rooms had lockers for your own lock, and beds were comfortable.

Fantastic hostel! Location was great, it was clean, the staff was friendly and the kitchen really helped offset the high costs of eating out in Stockholm

Hostel is up a very big hill on a cobblestoned street, if you are coming from subway with more than one bag, good luck. Also taxi took 40 minutes to find hotel one day with another member of our group.

• 8th May 2014