Castanea Old Town Hostel Reviews

Kindstugatan 1, Old Town, Stockholm, Sweden

No sign to see when looking down the street. Makes it difficult to initially find.

Yes, I agree it's a bit hard to find Castanea with the tiny sign on the front door. Glad you bring it up. We really should have a bigger sign.

I really enjoyed my stay at Castanea. The receptionist was very nice and let us store our bags in the luggage room, which had a key code lock. Very safe. Reception hours are limited but the staff go out of their way to make shre you are comfortable if you arrive later. The atmosphere was more laid back, it is definitely not a party hostel but its great location gives you access to many bars and entertainment. Lots of resources about the city are available. This hostel set a standard for me.

• 1st Feb 2015

Thank you for staying at Castanea and thank's for your good words! Glad there now is a Castanea-standard:-). /Cecilia

We had a great time in Castanea! Good location, helpful staff and very clean.

• 1st Feb 2015
  • Spain

Very nice to hear that you had a good time here at Castanea! That's all we want :-). /Cecilia

Had a great stay in a 14 bed dorm. A mix of travellers and students, everyone super respectful, showers and kitchen clean and efficient, lovely helpful staff and beautiful building. I will definitely stay here on my next visit to stockholm.

• 24th Jan 2015

Castanea offers a pleasant stay in the most conveniently located spot in town. It's perfect organization was showed with an initial warm welcome, support throughout my stay, and fond farewell. Cleaningness and good hygiene standards (despite "darlings'"constant counteractions) raised positively my average hostel expectations. Paula's attentive and kind interactions were an outstanding contribution and sign of professional dedication.Thanks so much.

• 22nd Jan 2015
  • Spain

One the best hostels I've been staying in. It's located in the heart of Stockholm Old Town, the most picturesque part of the city. It's very clean and the atmosphere is very nice. I liked to sit in the common room because it felt very homey. The staffs are all extremely nice and helpful. The part that I think can be improved is that the pillow could be a little thicker. It was too soft for me that I had to fold my blanket and use it as extra padding. But all in all, would definitely come again!

Possibly the nicest hostel I've ever stayed in. It was so beautiful! The staff were so friendly and helped me print tickets when I needed to, and the showers were so nice and never ran out of hot water. The whole place was beautiful, and it was one of the most lovely hostel experiences I've ever had. I met a lot of great people there. The only downside was that the quiet hours were super early and there was really nowhere else in the hostel to talk and get to know people after 10PM.

Great location. Cozy environment. Stayed at the 16-bed dormitory with my brother; it was clean, organized. Enjoyable stay and recommended!

• 10th Jan 2015

Wonderful hostel, like a home away from home! Quite, clean, had eveything you'll need! Staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful; had many lists of things to see and do in the city! Thoroughly enjoyed my stay

• 10th Jan 2015

Great hostel in an awesome location. The kitchen is excellent and with heaps of free basics! Atmosphere was slow but it was the off season. Bedding cost extra and the reception had limited hours to check in. One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in.

Very nice hostel in the best location..i unconditionally suggest it!!

• 31st Dec 2014
  • Greece

Great location,very clean and generally a nice place to stay

• 29th Dec 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The location is truly strategic but the pathway to the hostel is a bit slippery during winter. There should be a bigger sign board for the hostel to ease people to find the hostel during night time. The staff is friendly and helpful.

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Malaysia

The staff was very friendly and helpful. I had a good experience as a single traveler over Christmas. The common room was o.k., but it was sometimes a little boring. A little entertainment, e.g. a TV or video with subtitles and headphones could be a solution, because windows find only in the sleeping room. All in one I had a good experience because of the other guests and the personal. I will come back.

Very little to complain about. The hostel was in an excellent location in the Old Town - walkable to a nearby Metro station, and a slightly longer walk to Stockholm Main Station. Most of the main attractions in Stockholm are a walk away, and there's plenty of restaurants, etc in the Old Town (although expensive.)

It was really good staying at Castanea hostel. Very helpful and friendly Staff that makes you relax. Location is perfect for old town, well equiped kitchen you can prepare own food,So cute common room. For bad sides ; The room that ı stayed was a bit crowded, i would like to stay with females. And linen wasnt included .s.However it worths to stay there :).

Great Staff and the best location you could think of. It's close to a subway station which enables to go anywhere in town quite quickly. Party locations are not too far and if they are just take the metro. I'd recommend it to any backpacker 👍

i met a bunch of cool people here and we can talk and cook together here! it is one of my favorite hostel.

definitely one of the best hostels in stockholm, gamla stan is the perfect place to be. you are perfectly centered in the middle of the city and you can reach everything with the metro. the hostel atmosphere was super chilled and you got in contact with some nice people. all in all perfect for that price

• 21st Nov 2014

I'm a Swede who sometimes stay over in Stockholm. Where better than this place, right in the middle of things. The Old Town is where I always meet up with people for a cup of tea, the great Söder area just next to it. Superb cleanliness and very cost-worthy. It's not the most "fun" or unique hostel I've ever seen. They could perhaps have one all the way for Swedishness and had shoes-off inside the hostel :)