Castanea Old Town Hostel Reviews

Kindstugatan 1, Old Town, Stockholm, Sweden

Loved our time at Castanea. I was in the 16-bed mixed dorm, the set up is very good, it doesn't feel like that many people. The staff were very welcoming and helpful. The Old Town of Stockholm is absolutely beautiful, and I'm so happy we stayed here. My only real complaint is that the showers smelt damp, however they were very modern.

Hey, thank you for your awesome review! We will check the showers and make sure the ventialtion is working as it should. Kindly /Lotta

This place was really great. A bit difficult to find in the Old Town and a bit too quiet for me; these are my only complaints. Overall, an excellent hostel with friendly staff, clean & comfortable facilities, and nice people. Perfect for that weeknight getaway.

Great welcoming staff. Very clean shower room and toilet. Too bad that they charge extra rent for bed sheet. The old style lift is really cool. Best Location in Stockholm.

Thanks for all the nice words, I'm glad you had a nice time staying here! To not include the bed linen is very common in Sweden, and really helps to keep the prices down as you are always welcome to bring your own as an alternative. Kindly Lotta

A very nice staff and a really comfortable Hostel!

• 26th Mar 2015

Thank you for your kind words! I hope you liked Stockholm as much as you liked Castanea, so we get the chance to see you back here again... Kindly Lotta

Very nice room and community area, friendly staff, and the hostel is located right in the old town of Stockholm.

Thank you for your review! Glad you enjoyed your stay. Kindly / Lotta

The room was too small. More spacious options were available elsewhere.

Great accommodation for a fair price, great ideas about off setting carbon and reuse of left over food.

• 25th Mar 2015

Hello! Thank you for your review and for staying with us! Kindly /Lotta

The hostel was right in the middle of everything so that was nice. The entrance as well as the dorm room had passcodes which means that anyone who had been to the hostel before could come back. So it didn't feel the safest. Also, the staff were not there very often. I didn't feel like there was much room to go and hang out and meet people with there only being one small living room. However, the hostel worked out and definitely didn't ruin my trip and the kitchen had lots of free stuff!

Thank you for the feedback! Although we love when previous guests returns to Castanea, they have to be updated with the door codes we change frequently... Glad you enjoyed the kitchen :) Kindly Lotta

Fantastic location. Tight security and good kitchen facilities. Limited showers, but it was never a problem. Small common area is nice, but there is no staff to enforce the quiet hours at night.

Amazing location! clean, neat and super friendly. I was traveling alone and must be honest it wasn't the most socially run hostel but there was always someone in the Common room to chat to and have a drink with. Definitely recommend it!

• 20th Mar 2015
  • South Africa

Hi, I'm glad you had a nice stay and thank you for your recommendations! Kindly, Lotta

It's an extremely clean and well-run hostel; the only issue I had is that the doors of many of the rooms are clustered around the dining table and there's no noise insulation -- a group of 5 people was being really loud there (they did move when I asked but it was uncomfortable). The hostel could insulate the doors better for noise.

• 16th Mar 2015

Best and cleanest hostel where i've stayed! Location was awesome and big thaanks to the staff, you were very helpfull. It was nice that in Castanea hostel people's age doesn't matter.

• 16th Mar 2015
  • Finland

Thank you, that's really nice to hear! Lotta

We realy enjoyed the stay in the Castanea Hostel! The room was cosy and clean and the hostel has a very nice atmosphere. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We like to come back again!

Thank you for your lovely reviews. You are always welcome back! Kindly Lotta

We arrived late at night, however the place was amazing, the facilities were beautiful and very clean. I totally recommend this place. Very good atmosphere and was close to all of the sightseeing views.

• 6th Mar 2015

Hi, Thank you for your awesome review, and for staying with us! Lotta

The location is perfect, but it took us a little time after entering the old town area because streets are confusing there. but everything there is nice!!

Thank you for your review! And yes the charming street of Old Town is not always so straight on... Lotta

The staff was extremely helpful. When I arrived i reserved a mixed dorm room, however I did not feel comfortable stating in that room as the only woman and with the average age of other occupants being significantly higher than mine. The staff was very helpful in allowing me to change . Unfortunately as well this Is the only hostel where I've ever had my food stolen out of the fridge, even though it was marked as mine . Something was taken from me at least once each day. Really huge bummer

This was such a cute hostel!!! The whole staff was super helpful directing me anywhere to go, and the owner of this hostel is so so nice as well. Always saw a cleaning lady every day who would thoroughly clean everything. Felt very very clean, had a great kitchen, a nice little lounge area. Very cozy place. Not a party hostel if that is what you're looking for but still a wonderful place to stay for sure.

Thank you, glad you had a nice time staying here! Kindly Lotta

The hostel was charming. However, if you're looking for a loud hostel with more of a party environment I would suggest looking elsewhere. I appreciated the quaint nature of the hostel. It was also easily the cleanest hostel I have every stayed in.

My stay at the Castanea was not that long, but the two-day stay had already felt like home. The staff was really nice although its a bit of trouble that they are not there at night. But its not a big deal. The hostel set in the middle of stockholm, so its like 10 mins walk from the central station, and within 10-20 minutes walk to other places like the vasa museum and city hall. There is also a tbana station nearby so its really convenient. Highly recommend esp when you are travelling alone.

• 26th Feb 2015
  • China

Castanea is a very relaxed family run hostel. I had a pleasant and comfortable stay here and met some interesting people thanks to the open and relaxed lounge area.