Castanea Old Town Hostel Reviews

Kindstugatan 1, Old Town, Stockholm, Sweden

Favorite hostel so far. Great rooms, a little hot in summer (lack of cooling system as well as lack of lockers), locked by key. Shared bathrooms/showers with warmed floors, shared kitchen with cooking equipment+fridge, common-room with good wifi and great atmosphere. Friendly staff that accommodated us for an extra night's stay. In old town, walking distance from central square and shopping area, 5min walk from palace and main street. Have a leave-things-behind policy, lots of free food/soap etc

Glad you like!

Very pleasant and well appointed small hostel, ideal for the quiet traveller. Staff exceptionally helpful. The hostel is very clean and quiet and the old town and other attractions are immediately on your doorstep.

Great hostel, nice common room and kitchen. In a great place in the city.

• 6th Jul 2014

A washing machine and dryer would be great, Staff very nice. Liked the food recycling in the kitchen. I would only have two issues and these would be noise related - as our room was off the common room people did tend to chat outside past the curfew. Also there were a lot of extremely noisy deliveries on the street below week days mornings from 7 which I know is not the fault of the hostel and can't be helped probably due to the location, narrow streets needing to be accessed very early etc.

• 5th Jul 2014

I agree that a washing machine would be great :-) We are discussing where to place it, we're short of space. Sorry you were disturbed by other guests and by the deliveries. Mostly other guests respect the policy not to use the common room after 23. About the deliveries - I think that happens from time to time in all city centres. Thank you for your nice review! Always welcome back! Kind regards, Cecilia

Castanea is so clean and the showers were really great. It was very pleasant to stay there.

• 5th Jul 2014

Excellent, beautiful location; very clean; comfortable bed; quiet at night.

Great location. Great... everything. Kitchen is good, especially for highly expensive Stockholm.

One of the best hostels I ever stayed in. Fully equipped kitchen and nice common area are a very good opportunity to meet new people.

The location could not be better for a tourist, but staying in a 16 bed room at least was off-putting. It was more like staying in a strict aunts house than a hostel. I was afraid to touch anything in the common area lest I make it unclean. No receptionist at 3 in the afternoon and no way to get in. Luckily another guest help me. Receptionist looked inconvenienced at my checking in. Kind of intimidating stay.

The hostel is really nice, well ubicated on the middle of old town, sorrounded by streets filled with history, but if you are looking to party, you came to the wrong place, is kind of quiet and peaceful. Also Sweden's pubs and restaurants are expensive and mostly on alcohol, so buy in duty free or else backrupcy is a choice LOL but overall Castanea Hostel is a cousy place to stay I'll say is a good place to land with great ubication! Facilities also helps a whole bunch!

Excellent hostel, in particular staff and cleanness. Staff was not only kind and helpful, but interesting people. Nice to stay at Castanea, it was an excellent choice. Congrats for your place.

the hostel is very well locatedin Stockholm. it was clean, nice and cozy domitory. i recommend this place ti other people!

• 25th Jun 2014
  • South Korea

-best hostel I visited -everything clean and looking nice and modern -comfortable common room with no tv (I think thats good, but others might think its bad), but near the hostel are pubs if you want to watch sports -slept in the 16 dorm without problems -there is a luggage room and in the 16 dorm are lockers. -reception times for check-in/-out are rather short (9:00-11:00 and 15:00-18:00) but the 3 days I was there, the recption was opened earlier/longer. -good email communication

• 21st Jun 2014

We had a pretty good stay at castanea. On side : Facilities are very clean Hostel is located in old city center, walk distance (15min) to Centralen station On - side : Sheets are charged for 7,5€! 16 people dormitory room might be noisy (especially when people are going in and out)

Really enjoyed my stay here, staff was friendly and the showers were surprisingly good! My one comment would be that (with the long daylight hours in summer) some darker curtains would have been nice, the white ones in the small twin room I was staying in don't do a lot to block out the light, so an early wakeup was inevitable.

• 19th Jun 2014

One of the best kitchen set ups I've seen. Excellent location. Fast internet. Friendly, knowledgable staff. Lovely guests. Plenty of toilets and showers. The place was cosy but never felt cramped.

We had a very pleasant stay and felt very comfortable.

Excellent value for money in stockholm withe the perfect location

the basement floor Only have One toilet, its crowded! (there are Only tourist in old town)

• 8th Jun 2014
  • Denmark

Everything was perfect apart from the fact that there are not many toilets or showers, but I was lucky that I used them at non-busy times.... excellent location and very friendly staff!! ;)