Castanea Old Town Hostel Reviews

Kindstugatan 1, Old Town, Stockholm, Sweden

I was completely satisfied with Castanea. Trust me, I have been In hostels all around the world. This one is great. Clean, central, cosy, close to everything. And the amazing staff, congrats! We feel totally at ease there. Paula, a kiss for you. Carmo (Maria) machado, from Lisbon Portugal

• 27th Jul 2014
  • Portugal

I am very sorry to give a negative rate. this is due to the fact that the hostel does not accept guide/assistance dogs. Not allowing these dogs it is, in my opinion, a very discrminating act and ethically not acceptable.

It was an absolutely fantastic hostel, I couldn't recommend it enough! It's in the perfect situation in Gamla Stan, very central in the island so very quick and easy to get everywhere - then to walk to the other islands as well, it was perfectly situated. We didn't have to use the tunnelbana at all, everything was walking distance. Fantastic! It was also extremely clean, I was a bit dubious about sharing a bathroom, but it was incredibly clean! Brilliant staff and great value for money!

• 24th Jul 2014

The hostel was nice. I slept in the 16 bed dorm. It was good, however there was not too much space in the room. For a dance festival attendee who comes home late it was a bit difficult to be quiet when everybody else was sleeping but I managed. Most of the people went to bed at around 23 or 24. The door was noisy. The beds were Ikea metal bunk beds. If the beds were more steady, the other person sleeping on the other level would sleep better.

so comfortable and nice but too quite!

A very pleasant and convenient place to stay.

We were very pleased with everything!

• 20th Jul 2014
  • Finland
  • All Female Group, 41+

Everything about this place is exceptional ... Especially the staff ...

We enjoyed the ambience and the design of the interiors. We liked its closeness to the café with the big tree. Staff were very helpful and other travellers seemed to be very considerate. Bathrooms were very clean, ditto kitchen. We really appreciated the kitchen having a toaster!

• 15th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Castanea Old Town Hostel was the perfect base for our stay in stockholm. The location puts us in the middle of all the sights we wanted to visit. The neighborhood is charming and full of character. The facility is safe, clean and modern and well equipped with everything we needed. There are plenty of good dining options nearby when we didn't feel like cooking. The guests are respectful of quiet hours so we had restful nights. Wonderful staff.

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Mixed Group, 41+

This hostel is perfect!! It's in the old town, so perfect location. It's clean and cozy. Quiet at night. There's a nice kitchen and common area. Free internet access. The staff is really kind and helpful! Would definitely stay here again!

Thank you for your kind words! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay here. Welcome back :) /Joel

The hostel is excelent and Staff very kind. I felt secure and would get back. I just think that the room is small for 6 beds. If you put 4 beds it would be perfect!! Thanks.

Fantastic hostel, run by lovely people - we will definitely visit again. The location couldn't be better and the staff were so helpful.

Favorite hostel so far. Great rooms, a little hot in summer (lack of cooling system as well as lack of lockers), locked by key. Shared bathrooms/showers with warmed floors, shared kitchen with cooking equipment+fridge, common-room with good wifi and great atmosphere. Friendly staff that accommodated us for an extra night's stay. In old town, walking distance from central square and shopping area, 5min walk from palace and main street. Have a leave-things-behind policy, lots of free food/soap etc

Glad you like!

Very pleasant and well appointed small hostel, ideal for the quiet traveller. Staff exceptionally helpful. The hostel is very clean and quiet and the old town and other attractions are immediately on your doorstep.

Great hostel, nice common room and kitchen. In a great place in the city.

• 6th Jul 2014

A washing machine and dryer would be great, Staff very nice. Liked the food recycling in the kitchen. I would only have two issues and these would be noise related - as our room was off the common room people did tend to chat outside past the curfew. Also there were a lot of extremely noisy deliveries on the street below week days mornings from 7 which I know is not the fault of the hostel and can't be helped probably due to the location, narrow streets needing to be accessed very early etc.

• 5th Jul 2014

I agree that a washing machine would be great :-) We are discussing where to place it, we're short of space. Sorry you were disturbed by other guests and by the deliveries. Mostly other guests respect the policy not to use the common room after 23. About the deliveries - I think that happens from time to time in all city centres. Thank you for your nice review! Always welcome back! Kind regards, Cecilia

Castanea is so clean and the showers were really great. It was very pleasant to stay there.

• 5th Jul 2014

Excellent, beautiful location; very clean; comfortable bed; quiet at night.

Great location. Great... everything. Kitchen is good, especially for highly expensive Stockholm.