El Viajero Cartagena Hostel Reviews

Calle 7 Infantes, Cartagena, Colombia

Liked -- location was great Disliked -- staff was not very nice. They lost our confirmed reservation and the guy at the front was very rude about it. They promised us a private room to make up for the mishap but when we returned in the afternoon they had changed their minds. The guy acted like we were stupid to even think we would get a private room. Toilets, rooms were gross. Men's toilet had a stuck beer bottle inside and none of the staff took care of it. Too pricy for what you get

This is a dilapidated hostel with a lot of run down and broken pieces. The hostel is overpriced for what it is and dirty. My locker had a dead cockroach in it, one of the showers had a pile of dirt in it during my entire stay. The staff is unhelpful and the manager was especially rude. I was overcharged for my stay and they refused to change it. I will not book thru hostelworld as you only provide the balance in the original currency and the hostel uses their own beneficial exchange rate.

• 30th Dec 2015

The private room itself was ok, but since it has a window out to the street it was very loud and therefore overprieced!

We rented a private room, so that meant we stayed in their second residence down the street. That was really great for us because we wanted to more relaxed, quiet atmosphere. The staff was extremely helpful and spoke english fluently. They even let us store our luggage in the luggage room when we were back in Cartagena for only a few hours before our flight!

• 25th Dec 2015

Great location and good place to meet people if you travel alone. However there are some points that I didn´t like. AC does not work during the day and it is really hot in Cartagena, bathrooms are far away from the rooms, mixed showers, most of the staff is not friendly and helpfull, party hostel if you have problems to sleep this may not be the place to stay. I recomend a room with bathroom it was so annoying to have to walk a lot to go to the bathroom like a zombie among people.

Staff wasn't very friendly. Also they were very organized. I left my backpack in their storage but I didn't feel comfortable leaving my valuables in their safe. Beds and facility's were club though. It seems like a big European hub.

• 23rd Dec 2015

We had a christhmas dinner, for 45000, but it was really bad. Had to wait till 4pm to get in, even saying that id be there at 2pm.

stuff could wear a smile every once in a while, and could give more information on trips etc, rather than the bare minimal which often end up in a disappointment. Christmas dinner was a rip off in terms of money for value.

• 22nd Dec 2015

Not the most helpful staff. Bar was ok on salsa night but otherwise quiet. Happy hour cocktails not great. Was told that my dorm would be closed for fumigation the following day but I could extend for that night...?! Some technical difficulties - staff unable to get the projector to work on movie night and the music volume fluctuating wildly during the day. Just a bit of a disorganised ramshackle air about the place.

The place is lovely but there was one huge problem. They kept the music blasting for much of the night. I had to wake up very early but could not sleep at all because of the music. If this is a place for people to sleep it should not also double as a club. There are plenty of awesome places outside the hostel to party. It was incredibly frustrating. I asked the staff about it who turned it down a bit but it was still extremely loud. I've never stayed in a hostel where music is blaring all night.

AWESOME!!!!!!! I spent a great night in Cartagena, people are so warm and nice, thank you Alvaro

• 20th Dec 2015

It's a great hostel if you travel alone and want to meet people. Great staff and I def recommend it.

The hostel was very organized and in a great location. The excusions that they have are very organized. The only suggestions that I have would be that they didn't turn on the air conditioners until later in the evening so when you get back from beach excursions your rooms are pretty hot. The other thing is that the kitchen only had one crappy knife so preparing food was slightly difficult.

• 19th Dec 2015

Biggest complaints were they turn the AC off during the day and even running not that cold. Lost my passport there and for two days, 3-4 phone calls they said they'd email me a copy and never did. Other than the not so great customer service otherwise good location and place to stay.

Excellent.. My gf and I stayed in the private rooms it was clean, quite, good AC, good breakfast and safe.. Highly recommended.. Oh also love the free salsa classes.. Can book all your excursions here too..

The atmosphere at El Viajero was fantastic. Very social scene which was great. Facilities were not great though - the showers were freezing and I found some small broken glass pieces on the floor of the bathroom. Overall great experience though - people working there were also very friendly and helpful.

A/C in all the dorm rooms, sooo necessary! And it's on almost all day, so you don't have to wait until night time. There was this one staff member who just had a bitchy look on all the time, and she was kind of a downer. Everyone else was fine. Met nice people, the salsa and bachata lessons at night were fun. Fantastic location, easy to just walk around everywhere within the Old City. Felt very safe. Lots of fun tours organized through this hostel too.

Convinient location, nice staff, AC. Good hostel in general, breakfast could be better. S/O to Alvaro!

• 15th Dec 2015

AWESOME!!! Best hostel I've ever been to by faaaar, thanks to Alvaro for all the help and info on the city

• 15th Dec 2015

We stayed in private bathroom room. We liked the place and the room. Staff was very nice but we stayed in a separate section (different building very close to the hostel) and there is no staff there. One night there were guests hanging out close to our room and they were very loud. We asked them politely to keep low the music down and it helped a bit. If there was staff there it would be better.