El Viajero Cartagena Hostel Reviews

Calle 7 Infantes, Cartagena, Colombia

Had a great night. Decent breakfast, great atmosphere and hang out areas. Met lots of great folks and we all went out together after the free salsa lesson.

This place is good for one night to party. Otherwise, if you're unlucky enough to get the rooms near the bar you will not have good sleep. The place could be cleaner.

I liked this hostel, I met a lot of nice people there. Intimacy is really good in private rooms, the dorms are also quiet and confortable. I liked the general atmosphere, but it's not a place for intense partying.

Shower pressure not very good. Private rooms not worth the extra money.

Hey the hostel is actually very nice but still we would not stay there again because it was so complicated to book it. (It is much cheaper to book it online which we found weird). Also there were some problems with the system at the reception and the staff there was not very helpful and friendly compared to other hostels we have stayed before.

• 16th Jun 2014

This hostel was in a great location and has pretty good common space with ok rooms, Cartagena is really hot so my advice is to rent a room with AC!

The Hostel also has an Annex area which I stayed in. While this would have been Amazing for couples, my friend and I felt a bit isolated in the Annex area from the goings on at the hostel. Would be great if they made this separation clear prior to booking.

• 13th Jun 2014

Stayed in the private Single again, was very happy about it. Aircon and location are great. The part of the hostel with private rooms is quiet. Breakfast and everything is good. Supermarket nearby. Would stay there again.

Well, maybe I was just not lucky, when I got the was around 10am and the told me to wait 5 hours for a room, also the bathrooms were packed and the place used sheets on the floor near the bathroom so is pretty disgusting. I stayed in the Viajero San Andres and that's why I thought on giving this one a shot but didn't work out. San Andrea was tidy and bigger and never with the dirty sheets in the floor.

• 10th Jun 2014
  • Peru

We booked this place because of the high rating and low price, but they never answer to emails, and the staff is not that friendly. We paid on the first night (as they asked) and then when we checked out they claimed we didnt pay.. The atmosphere was good. Half of the showers didnt work. Overall the stay was good but we've had some faults.

The Good: great common area encourages people to be friendly. The staff were happy to help with requests and generally helpful, the location is great in the old town. The Bad: constant infestations of bed bugs. We had a booking for 5 nights, took a day trip to Santa Marta which ended up being a night as well, when we returned to our room we found that it had been fumigated with our bags inside the room. Had to change rooms and air out all our gear which had fumigation chemicals through it.

• 3rd Jun 2014

Big hostel in the historical center of this beautiful city. The size of this hostel makes it less cosy then a lot of smaller hostels in South-America, although the facilities are fine. Hammock - Bed ratio could have been higher. There where only 2 hammocks for the 30 (!) dorms they have. The heat on the Caribean cost actually requires a swimming pool, which this hostel does not have.

Good hostel, lovely staff

Lovely hostel, ac was really effective, lovely bat area and the salsa dancing was great.

Good location, decent breakfast included and very clean.. downside was that the reception staff were miserable and uninterested in doing anything to help

Absolutely wonderful place. Staff were incredibly helpful In organising day trips. Air conditioning at night was perfect and much needed. Breakfast was very decent. Rooms were comfortable and plenty of space in the lockers. Stay here if you come to Cartagena!!

Most of the staff was nice, which made my stay not so nice at all, breakfast was ok but nothing fancy... are a no-go and therefore I wldn't return, especially because I heard they had someone complaining a week before and it seems they haven't solved the problem at all....

• 31st May 2014
  • Switzerland

Great location but very rude staff. They seem quite bothered by me asking questions about touring the area, which is ironic.

THIS HOSTEL CURRENTLY HAS BED BUGS. DO NOT STAY HERE. stayed in a dorm for 2 nights over the weekend and woke up each morning with dozens of bites. Hostel staff said absolutely nothing when I let them know. They couldn't switch us to a different dorm and made no attempt to apologise or do anything to help so we landed up checking out early. The place is actually great but definitely not worth the agony of bed bugs. Don't stay until the hostel confirms that the problem is dealt with.

Worst check in ever. Five people behind the desk, still took about 15 minutes to check in, no details on tours, nightlife etc. No air con during the day in your room, and Cartagena is hot! Otherwise a good hostel