El Viajero Cartagena Hostel Reviews

Calle 7 Infantes, Cartagena, Colombia

THIS HOSTEL CURRENTLY HAS BED BUGS. DO NOT STAY HERE. stayed in a dorm for 2 nights over the weekend and woke up each morning with dozens of bites. Hostel staff said absolutely nothing when I let them know. They couldn't switch us to a different dorm and made no attempt to apologise or do anything to help so we landed up checking out early. The place is actually great but definitely not worth the agony of bed bugs. Don't stay until the hostel confirms that the problem is dealt with.

Worst check in ever. Five people behind the desk, still took about 15 minutes to check in, no details on tours, nightlife etc. No air con during the day in your room, and Cartagena is hot! Otherwise a good hostel

Was shocked that in the suffocating heat that the AC was only available between limited hours. I decided to only stay one night as opposed to the 4 nights planned. All the rooms need multiple fans and better ventilation. Second, music is played uncomfortably loud in the lounge areas because most people are chatting. There is a need for AC in the lounge area or better ventilation to supplement the fans. Showers need better ventilation, privacy and more places to hook or put stuff on.

Too much people. Too much gringos!

• 24th May 2014
  • Argentina

Nice hostel, good staff. The rooms and common areas get blistering hot during the day as the air-conditioning is only on at night. A few fans would be a great investment here as hanging out in the hostel by day is quite unpleasant.

It's a very nice hostel, well located, full of travelers. We had an amazing time, met a lot of great people, we enjoyed the amenities. The AC in the rooms is great and really necessary due to the extreme temperatures we had in Cartagena. The patio is amazing and the kitchen is fully equipped with almost everything you could possibly need. The included breakfast is a plus that we really appreciated. The shared bathrooms could be cleaned more often. Both thumbs up for this hostel.

Got bug bites from the bed, brought them home with me. which totally sucks (this was the only place i stayed in colombia and i also woke up with the bites when i was there, the day I left. They need fitted sheets, you know with like elastics! . the sheets come off during the night and you end up with your skin against the mattress. not hygenic. overall pretty good though. some more nightly activities would be beneficial too.

The location of the hostel is perfect. Most of the staff is friendly. There is a nice bar+garden. The private rooms were disappointing. They were expensive, small and without private bathrooms. The dorms were fine.

Thank you all, especially Huan who helped me with lots of questions 😊

• 11th May 2014

Pillow cases are missing, sold every bed twice per night so the room was overbooked, removed my sheets, no service at all: have to make your bed by yourself, no towels and for all this way to pricy.

The room we stayed in was pretty gross considering the price. Having paid for a private room we were put in room 25 where the paint was peeling off the walls and the room overall felt dirty and uncomfortable. The music from the kitchen area was VERY loud even though there were few people there socializing. The set up of the social area made it difficult to meet people. Overall outrageously overpriced for a lackluster experience.

Breakfast offers a lot of quantity, quality and variety. Location is very convenient. The place was a bit noisy at nights, one night I woke up to ask the people who were listening to the music to play lower and it turned out that there was no party, the one playing that loud music was the guy at the front desk, very disrespectful. Kitchen was dirty.

• 9th May 2014
  • Argentina

Really good central hostel. We booked a private room, which was in an other building. Its just 50m but the main building is much better with more people.

It is overpriced and very crowded. When i arrived there were 4 staffs at the reception and still too much people were waiting at front. On the other hand, all the rooms are facing each other so there is small village atmosphere which is great at night to get social.

Great hostel to meet people

A great and fun hostel. Staff were friendly and knowledgable. Good location in the middle of beautiful old town in Cartagena. Close to the wall and close to the grocery store.

Great hostel. I stayed in a single room for one week, which was spacious and comfortable. It had aircon and a TV. Breakfast was okay, nothing special. Staff was very helpful. Location is nice and the hostel is good to meet people.

viajero was definitely a party hostel, people were up till 4 am, one of the guys in our 10 person dorm room must have either been partying pretty hard or was an extremely heavy sleeper because he was snoring so loud since he got back at 1 in the morning that I could hear it loudly though my ear plugs. I tried to tap him so he would roll over but he was out cold.

Excellent place! Was my second time there! And I would be come back anytime. Thanks.

My second stay at El Viajero! After arriving, I requested to change my mixed-dorm reservation to the same female-only room I had on the last visit and paid the difference in cash. Chevére! During this stay, I used the convenient patio kitchen with stove, oven and 2 refrigerators. Unfortunately, some sad viajero stole a 1.5 liter of water from my sealed reusable shopping bag, but Karma will find them. Overall, another great stay with Miriam and the wonderful staff at El Viajero. Gracias, amigos!