El Viajero Cartagena Hostel Reviews

Calle 7 Infantes, Cartagena, Colombia

Cool staff, decent location, would stay there again.

Good hostel, the safes available in the dorms are awesome especially in this town and the Netflix on the tv with air con in the tv room is a great touch for a Sunday hangover

Well located hostel. Ideal for people looking to have fun and meet other travellers.

El Viajero is a nice hotel inside Cartagena's Old town walls. It has nice facilities and is clean but it's very impersonnel: the person at the front desk shows you through the video surveillance where the facilities are and give you your sheets, that's all. You have to do your bed. I found it a bit expensive but it seems to be the price in Cartagena.

• 19th Feb 2015

too bad locker didnt work. very pricy for what you get

I had a great stay in El Viajero, the dorms are a bit pricey, but they all have air con, which is priceless really in that climate. There is a nice bar which is a good place to meet people. The music stops after midnight so you can get a good night sleep too. Breakfast and kitchen facilities are alright. however if you're traveling to Santa Marta, DO NOT go with the bus company the hostel recommends (mobilizar). I arrived 4h late and the driver was a nightmare.go with Marsol instead.

Staff could be more receptive.

I didn't appreciate you telling me that my reservation was changed and then you never changed it for me. It's a terrible thing to do someone. I had to pay a lot of money for a last minute hotel room. Your hotel never took responsibility for it.

Great location, friendly and helpful especially Miriam. Good hostel to meet other travelers. Doors do not have locks ,but security locks available in every room ( some don't work.) Basic but free breakfast. I suggest that the hostel should add a third person behind the counter. This will facilitate people checking in faster and avoid the long line.

Pros: cheap, ability to lock things under bed if you bring your own lock, free breakfast that gives you the opportunity to meet other backpackers. Cons: This was the loudest hostel I've ever be in. There was a speaker outside my room that was blasting music well after 10 pm. Just be prepared for that, and if that's not your scene, find another place. Also, there are no locks on the bedroom doors -- that's why I rated it "poor" for security.

• 15th Feb 2015

This place is a well run hostel located inside the city walls. Everything you need is a quick walk away. My room was in the annex- just 100m from the main hostel- it's not far away at all and the area is perfectly safe (this is coming from a female traveling alone). Some reviews mentioned the staff as being cold but its probably because their English isn't good which I noticed throughout Colombia. I only wish there was a shelf in the shower room so I don't have to put all my stuff on the floor

Overall staff are a bit "cold" compared to the generally warm Colombian welcome I received in many other hostels in Colombia. The location is perfect. Heads off to the cleaning team for keeping the place clean constantly. One of the best beds I have slept in hostels. Koodoos to having aircon in the evening. It will help if staff gets more involved in communication with guests, it will help encourage participation in the hostel's social activities.

Hi Thank you for feedback and recomendation. We are working on improve our services and make better the place for our costumers. Hope we have the chance to have you back here soon. Best regards Margarita

I loved staying here. It is truly good value for your money as it is in the middle of the Ciudad Amurallada. Acople of blocks is a supermarket and it is also close to Plaza Fernandez Madrid which is surrounded by restaurants. Evertyhing is within walking distance of the hostel. I got a single room and it is defintiely a great value in comparison to getting your own hotel in the area. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Excellent hostel indeed.

• 11th Feb 2015

I spent 5 days here and no two nights were in the same bed. Your given a magnet to stick stick on your bed and if it falls off you could lose your bed for the night and end up in another bed. It seems that to be on the bed is more important than to be assigned the bed. Staff is friendly

A bit expensive for a hostel but Cartagena is like that. Staff are very patient and helpful. The hangout area is cool. I'd go back.

• 11th Feb 2015

Great location, staff were very helpful, loved how big it was and the fact that it had lots of bathrooms and showers as well as bar. Opportunities for lots of activities and good recommendations for places to eat and things to do.

This hostel is in a great situation in the city walls, because of this it was quite expensive for what you actually get. There was a great bar area for socialising and they did salsa etc which was fun! Dorms and bathrooms were basic but clean and they all have aircon which you need here it's boiling!

The hostel is to big! There are to many people, so there is all the time new faces. I didn't get a key for my room, and no one did, so everyone can go into your room. And since the hostel is so big, the staff can make sure that someone strangers goes into your room. The breakfast is free, and it's ok. It is toast, fruit, cereal and coffee. The music is to loud, and people are sitting outside the room - talking loud because of the music. So it can be hard to get some sleep before midnight.

Hi . Thanks you for your feedback. We are sorry your did not have a good expriencie staying with us. Dorms has not key becouse every individual guest has their own locker and security box free to use. We also use wrist band in order to identificaded our guests their visitors. The bar goes till midnight for people who wants to socialize with others. Thank you again. Margarita

Nice place, made heaps of friends, staff seem annoyed to help you sometimes, same with the bar staff. it made us not want to ask questions if we needed to. Otherwise a great hostel

For that price of a bedroom for two without a bathroom wasnt a good experience, I ve already found another hostals inside Cartagena Old City with bathroom with better prices. I cannot rent the bikes because of the hour!! awfulll, disgusting.... Felipe Rey philipoby@gmail.com

• 7th Feb 2015