El Viajero Cartagena Hostel Reviews

Calle 7 Infantes, Cartagena, Colombia

Staff friendly, lockers under the beds, pod air con (night time only), perhaps a little over priced

Pretty much perfect.

• 21st Jun 2014

The hostel was full of young drunk tourists being loud until 4:30 in the morning. They left a huge mess for the women who clean in the morning. I asked one of the women if it is always like this and she said the majority of the the time. So if you like drunk obnoxious peolple who don't respect the f act that other people are sleeping then by all means stay here. If you want sleep at night and wake up to a clean common area then find another place to stay.

• 21st Jun 2014

Great location, great people, nice place, but the worst sheets and pillows i have ever seen in a hostel. You could boost the place a 100% just not giving towels with holes, and sheets in a bad condition. Lourdes is amazing, she is the cleaner and she was very kind, and warm with us. Its not that she doesnt fullfill her obligations (e place is quite clean) but the pillows, sheets and towels, are in a very bad condition. We had a private room in the anexo, very quiet place.

Useless staff and poor conditions for the heat.

• 20th Jun 2014

Had a great night. Decent breakfast, great atmosphere and hang out areas. Met lots of great folks and we all went out together after the free salsa lesson.

This place is good for one night to party. Otherwise, if you're unlucky enough to get the rooms near the bar you will not have good sleep. The place could be cleaner.

I liked this hostel, I met a lot of nice people there. Intimacy is really good in private rooms, the dorms are also quiet and confortable. I liked the general atmosphere, but it's not a place for intense partying.

Shower pressure not very good. Private rooms not worth the extra money.

Hey the hostel is actually very nice but still we would not stay there again because it was so complicated to book it. (It is much cheaper to book it online which we found weird). Also there were some problems with the system at the reception and the staff there was not very helpful and friendly compared to other hostels we have stayed before.

• 16th Jun 2014

This hostel was in a great location and has pretty good common space with ok rooms, Cartagena is really hot so my advice is to rent a room with AC!

Went twice, loved it ! Great atmosphere

The Hostel also has an Annex area which I stayed in. While this would have been Amazing for couples, my friend and I felt a bit isolated in the Annex area from the goings on at the hostel. Would be great if they made this separation clear prior to booking.

• 13th Jun 2014

Stayed in the private Single again, was very happy about it. Aircon and location are great. The part of the hostel with private rooms is quiet. Breakfast and everything is good. Supermarket nearby. Would stay there again.

Well, maybe I was just not lucky, when I got the was around 10am and the told me to wait 5 hours for a room, also the bathrooms were packed and the place used sheets on the floor near the bathroom so is pretty disgusting. I stayed in the Viajero San Andres and that's why I thought on giving this one a shot but didn't work out. San Andrea was tidy and bigger and never with the dirty sheets in the floor.

• 10th Jun 2014
  • Peru

A bit worn but well located and with lots of other travelers.

We booked this place because of the high rating and low price, but they never answer to emails, and the staff is not that friendly. We paid on the first night (as they asked) and then when we checked out they claimed we didnt pay.. The atmosphere was good. Half of the showers didnt work. Overall the stay was good but we've had some faults.

The Good: great common area encourages people to be friendly. The staff were happy to help with requests and generally helpful, the location is great in the old town. The Bad: constant infestations of bed bugs. We had a booking for 5 nights, took a day trip to Santa Marta which ended up being a night as well, when we returned to our room we found that it had been fumigated with our bags inside the room. Had to change rooms and air out all our gear which had fumigation chemicals through it.

• 3rd Jun 2014

Big hostel in the historical center of this beautiful city. The size of this hostel makes it less cosy then a lot of smaller hostels in South-America, although the facilities are fine. Hammock - Bed ratio could have been higher. There where only 2 hammocks for the 30 (!) dorms they have. The heat on the Caribean cost actually requires a swimming pool, which this hostel does not have.

Good hostel, lovely staff