El Viajero Cartagena Hostel Reviews

Calle 7 Infantes, Cartagena, Colombia

Good breakfast and the enviroment is great. Cold showers, but Cartagena is so warm that this is not a problem at all. There is no fan in the dorm, which is really warm during the day while the aircon is off - which is not a problem as well, once you are spending the day on the beach or walking around the walled town. Close to the supermarket, restaurants and atm. Definitely recommended.

Great atmosphere, nice people. Wifi was crappy. I moved here from Media Luna because it was too loud: this was just the right mix of party and chilled out atmosphere. As for security, I wasn't too happy with the wooden storage under the bed - big but too easy to open, especially considering that none of the doors can be locked. There were little safes though, big enough for your phone but not for a laptop. Still I think this is one of the best hostels in town and I'd definitely stay here again.

It was my first time on a hostel and was a great experience! The bedrooms are great and the location is very good. It has very good price for the location and structure. But the best thing about it was the DEDITOS! Deditos is a snack served on the breakfast. Have to prove to undertand!

• 13th Nov 2014

The Hostel is in the old city and not in the "party hostel street", however the area is in walking distance (10-15min) and the old city area offers a lot of bars and restaurant in the night as well. We were happy to stay closer to the old center (we changed hostels and were in the party street outside the old city before). The atmosphere and the facilities are very nicely set up (well equipped kitchen, tables, hammocks, own bar). However, the staff was a bit grumpy sometimes

The hostel building is one of the cool old edifices in the old city. Easy access to all of the old city, plus it's close to the gate to get taxis to the rest of Cartagena. The staff was surprisingly unhelpful and unfriendly for hostel employees, however. There was only one hostel-wide activity during the 6 days we were there and it was to go to a club at another hostel. Moreover, the hostel is shaped like a horseshoe, so you have to worry about everyone bring loud - not just your roommates.

I stayed here for two weeks and would have stayed longer if not for flights that i had booked. Perfectly located. Within walking distance from pretty much everything. The layout is really cool, all the rooms surround a courtyard which makes it hard not to meet people. Bar was great and there was always something happening at night. TV room was perfect for the morning after with airconditioning and netflix :) Staff were super cool and friendly especially the girls. Twas mad fun! luv zach xoxo

• 11th Nov 2014

Nice place, well located, huge hostel with many people. There is a bar, which has beers with good value. Nice place to meet people.

We didn't extend our stay because our private double room was next to the bar and it was very noisy till late at night and then again early in the morning.

• 11th Nov 2014

Nice hostel in good location. Very popular place. Staff were generally friendly, except for one individual working in the bar who appeared to be a bit arrogant. Good place to socialise and meet fellow travellers.

Social hostel. Rooms are air condition at night which is really needed because of the humidity. Decent bar area.

I had the absolute best time here!!!! I would definitely stay again and recommend it to anyone traveling through Cartagena!

• 6th Nov 2014

The location of the Hostel is perfect because it is close to the center of the Walled City and everything you want to see there. You can go anywhere by foot. I went tripping with my boyfriend so we stayed at the quiet side of the hostel. And the fact that breakfast is included is awesome cause you wake up, put something good and warm in you stomach and leaves to enjoy the day. The staff is great. I surely recommend it.

• 4th Nov 2014

Location is great. Great atmosphere when I was there - a lot of mingling between guests. Generally clean. The complaint is the staff - they didn't really offer much help in terms of stuff to do in Cartagena, and one of the girls made it seem like we were annoying her with by checking in. Also, when we booked the bus to Santa Marta, we were never asked to pay (we thought we were gonna pay the bus directly) and then were subsequently yelled at for not paying upfront when the bus came.

The staff are terrible and couldn't be more disinterested and are visibly annoyed when they have to look up from their phones to talk to you. There is no real atmosphere compared to other hostels in Cartagena and bar was closed on our stay. There are much better and cheaper places in Cartagena. The only good thing is the aircon

The staff are amazing - always happy to help and the atmosphere every night is really social. I met some great people here while travelling alone so would 100% recommend for solo travellers. I wouldn't recommend the ensuite rooms though, as the bathrooms are old and not too clean. The normal bathrooms/showers are much nicer. I returned for a second stay and just booked a regular room without ensuite.

El Viajero was the first "party" hostel I've ever stayed at and to be honest, I'm glad I did. I didn't think that the noise was too loud & boisterous at night (as others have said in their reviews), since the hostel bartender would close the bar around midnight and usher everyone to partake in a bar/club crawl outside the city walls. Decor was super cute & colorful, staff was friendly, nightly group events were plentiful - overall a great place to meet people & maximize your time in the city!

• 1st Nov 2014
  • drobles7856005

This hostel was very clean and nice. The showers were great compared to most hostels. There are plenty of them, so you never have to wait. Water pressure is good. No temp adjustment, but the cool water feels great on a hot day, anyway. A/C in the rooms is a life saver. Helpful staff.

great atmosphere, staff, and fellow travelers

• 28th Oct 2014

Was a nice place. Cheaper hostels about but overall there is always a nice atmosphere

Nice hostel, very clean and pretty. Good breakfast and wifi. The staff was ok, but the cab drivers were more helpful with tips. Cool bar and people.

• 25th Oct 2014