El Viajero - Downtown Hostel & Suites Reviews

Direccion Soriano 1073, Montevideo, Uruguay

When we arrived at the hostel we learned that our reservation hadn't come through (some problem with the system). But what could have been a problem turn out to be the best of our stay, since the staff went beyond their way to compensate us! We got a free night in another room, the staff was friendly and helpful, the hostel was beautiful, our rooms were clean, the water was hot and there was a delicious pizza night. We stayed for two days and I didnt regret for a minute :)

Great location and character, but didnt aprecciate my stay overall. Breakfast was poor, they dont have lockers in the bedroom so everybody can enter. Staff was not very helpful, didnt deliver maps or give tips about the city. There was this flyer about a promotion of staying two nights in El Viajero you get a discount on the next night. When I asked about it they were kind rude saying it was not valid anymore.

El Viajero is always a good adress. The hostel is in a nice old building with ac/heating and big lockers in the dorms. The breakfast is good (fruits would be great) and the kitchen clean. The bathroom was a bit tiny but clean. The location is nearly perfect, close to the old and new center.

This hostel was great! Comfortable beds, good coffee in the morning and really hot showers. The staff was always helpful and friendly and always organizing cool things for us to do at night. When I was there we had free salsa lessons one night and on another some of the staff played music for us. It was a bit loud because all of the rooms are centered around this patio, but people quieted down by 1 or 2 on the weekend. I stayed there for a couple of nights and wish I could have stayed more!

• 28th Jun 2015

There were a couple of amazing staff members, who helped us plan our only day in Montevideo. They rent bikes, which is definitely the best way to see the city. 24/7 security was great. Breakfast was okay. Dorm rooms can get crowded, because the hostel is a popular one.

This hostel was awesome and the staff were some of the sweetest and friendliest of hostel staff I have ever encountered, and I have stayed in over 10 hostels in the past year. Thank you so much for welcoming my friends and I into your lovely hostel!

I had a great time here and all the staff are fantastic especially Ronald and Federico. Would stay again!

The air in the room is no fresh. No windows in the rooms. Poor break tests.

The other reviewers are right- if you are looking for a quite night make sure you book a private room or bring some ear plugs because the doors will not keep the noise out that comes from the courtyard. Breakfast is typical Latin American fare- bread, butter, jam, cereal, yogurt and sometimes hand fruit. They do have a decent kitchen, bikes for rent and they offer tours that are more affordable than the ones i found online.

• 14th May 2015

It seemed like a party hostel to me. Everyday loud music on the patio and all of the dormitories surrounded the patio so you just can't sleep. That I'm not going to mention that they were people checking in the room in the middle if the night (like 2 am) and then the stuff was just switching on the light and explaining everything in the room like it was middle of a day. And it wasn't one night event. Not enjoyable at all.

Thank you for being wonderful hosts. My friend and I enjoyed staying here very much!

Really nice chilled hostel, close to the beach and with amazing staff. Really good breakfast as well. Would come back for sure

For sure it's a good place whatever you are going to do in Montevideo!

• 8th May 2015

Nice hangout area to meet new ppl. They organize activities every day which is nice. Kitchen is well equipped. The room was a bit chilly as the heater didn't work. The bathroom was narrow and open, it was way too cold. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Nice hostel and good atmosphere. Good location.

Great hostel, very helpful staff and great location. BBQ and live music on the Saturday night was awesome!

It was amazing!

• 1st May 2015
  • Colombia

It is a great hostel! i've been there a couple of times and i always have a great time :) people from the hostel is awesome they are always willing to help and to make you enjoy your stay, I will definitely return

My fiancé and I stayed here for 3 nights. The hostel has great architecture and the common areas encourage socializing. They also do a nice job of putting together bar nights with music which creates a good atmosphere. Our room was clean and nice. The breakfast was very basic, but it's free so you can't really complain. Hot water and wifi worked well!

The best hostel in Uruguay!! Staff was AMAZING!! Recommend me a lot of good advices! Thanks, besides that super god beds!, clean and very good atmosphere