El Viajero - Downtown Hostel & Suites Reviews

Direccion Soriano 1073, Montevideo, Uruguay

A cockroach visited us by the night but the thing that really annoyed us was the night shows at our door. The music was basically inside our room. I think is great that the hostel put up this kind of activity put maybe is more honest if those rooms have a lower rate or a warning before making the reservation.

The main floor rooms have no windows, so the humidity is high and the room doesn't smell so good. There are bathrooms for girls and boys separately but twice I went to the girls bathroom and suddenly a boy came in, as an usual thing :/ I've complained to the staff, but nothing was done. The staff wasn't able to indicate tours around the city neither prices and etc.

Ir's a good hostel. The breakfast is simple but good, with bread, cereal and dulce de leche. The bedrooms are not the cleanest, and make sure you don't get one near the common area because of the loud music until late night. The hostel is worth the money and the staff is really helpful.

Good location. Most of the staff were very helpful and nice. Dorm rooms are crowded but met expectations. Shared bathrooms were always dirty. Breakfast is bread and juice. In house bar was a nice feature.

I stayed here for 2 nights and the room was good. There is air conditioned and the staff helped me a lot with everything i need. Even, i forgot some clothes and they kept them and gave me them back a week later. Definitely i will come back again.

It's an ok hostel, though having been at other Viajeros in Colombia we expected better. Pros: The common areas are nice, there's breakfast and it has all the standard facilities. Cons: the beds were small and not so comfortable. Some dorms don't have a window. The morning staff guy will ignore you unless you're a girl and they play horrendous uruguayan rock music all day. Overall: ok.

Good hostel but incredibly noisy every night until around 1am. Most dorms face into courtyard where the bar is and if you like an early night or some quiet you're not going to find it here.

Great hostel, located in the heart of Montevideo. Just 3 blocks away from the famous Fun Fun Tango Bar and 2 from the main avenue of the city. Staff is great, they do live music every Saturday and salsa classes too! Some rooms have TV and air. Nice breakfast too!

The main problem was cleanliness because the room was very dirty.

Nice atmosphere, good location

This is the WORST hostel I've ever stayed in. The staff isn't helful at all, sooo dirty and the rooms and bathrooms are moldy and smelly. You can't party and you can't sleep, cause the rooms have only 1 vent that doesn't quite work either. Wifi is weak. Breakfast and location are ok... Plus, my things got stollen there and noboby did anything! DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOSTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at first it seemed to be a nice place. But tthan, they have a mess about the prices we combined couple months ago. In fact, one of the staff told us that the money advance booking we had paid was not for them , so we could not cash in the total amount . they also charged us for the same water three different values ​​one day after the other. and the explanation was : this is the way. So, we didi not expend the time we sould there., we have just gone to another place.

• 26th Dec 2014

i am a handcap and theres no wheelchair access, thats no cool. and the guy has want cover another fare because the dolar, but cover was be print when I told that was wrong

The hostel was easy to find and access, and I received a very warm and friendly welcome from the reception when I arrived. The neighbourhood seemed safe all day and night. The only disappointing thing was that the bathroom in my dormitory room wasn't very clean even though other common bathrooms outside were all kept clean.

A chill place with a good vibe.

• 22nd Dec 2014

Basically, if you're the party type, here's your place to stay, but if you're not, and would like a good nights sleep, stay somewhere else. The location was great and the staff was nice, but the hostel was too loud - parties in front of the rooms every night till 5am, no individual plugs or lights in the dorms, no locks on the doors, nothing too clean, and only 3 showers and 2 bathrooms for people who don't have ensuite bathrooms in their dorms.

Only very sweet stuff for breakfast

• 20th Dec 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

We literally just slept at the hostel, our travel schedule didn't even allow us to try the breakfast but: comfy mattresses, only a fan in the room-no AC which made it quite hot, our room smelled a bit of mold too, but the hostel had a great colonial feel to it with gorgeous floors, glass roof and colorful paintings. A nice vibe and good hang-our areas.

Me and my girlfriend stayed at a double bed private room, the room was kind of old, with broken doors and had a strong smell coming up from the bathroom's drain. The kitchen was as old as the bedroom and had few cooking tools. The positive things were the Staff, the location, the common areas, the free internet access and the fact that we could rent a bike and just leave it at the hostel. In general I liked it.

• 9th Dec 2014

Hi Caio! It was a pleasure to have you here like a guest, thank your four your comment! we try all the time to improve our service! See you again on your next time in Uruguay Regrards Santiago, Jefe de Recepciòn

Everything is pretty good at this hostel. My only complaint would be all our stuff that went missing. An entire toiletry bag just disappeared. Annoying to say the least! My bed was also taken apart and the things on it thrown out by the cleaning staff.

Thank you very much four your comment Angela, about your complaint we want to make you know that now we have cameras all around the hostel trying that that situation won`t repit again! Regrards Santiago, Jefe de recepciòn