Generator Hostel Hamburg Reviews

Steinorplatz 3, Hamburg, Germany

Terrible and rude staff. No kitchen facility. Money-spinners not interested in offering a good service to their customers.

This place is unbelievably expensive for a hostel and very bad value for money. There is a very long and very slow line at the reception and it will probably take you close to one hour of waiting when you try to check in during high season.

• 4th Aug 2015
  • Greece

The hostel is generally good, but the staff is moody, antipathetic and doesn't really care for the customer.

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • Bulgaria

This place is great! It feels like a hostel but looks like a hotel. Awesome bunk beds with personal mini-lights and ports to charge your things and lockers under beds. The place was modern and clean. Friendly staff, good beer, close to lots of food, train station and sights.

The hostel is right next to the train station which is really convenient. The closest subway is 50 meters away and if you're still fit in the evening you can go down to the bar and meet people from around the world.

Only spent a short time here as was trying to catch a rideshare to Copenhagen. Despite that this seems like a pretty solid place with an awesome location right across the street from the central train station. Another of the modern, large hotel style hostels, this one seems to have managed to have kept the hostel vibe with a nice large bar area with activities running each night of the week. While I didn't spend time in the bar, it seemed quite lively even when coming back late at night.

It is located very close to the Central Station something very usefull for travellers without car. The 5euro breakfast wan't perfect but it was good enough. If I visit Hamburg again I would definetely stay at this Hostel.

• Greece

We cancelled out booking more than 24 hours in advance. Yes they still decided to charge my credit card. Have emailed them several times with no response.

• 2nd Aug 2015

I always know what to expect when staying at a Generator. It's a big chain of hostels, but they are good quality. They always overcharge on weekends by a lot. Could see raising a little to make a few extra euro, but it is way overpriced for what you get. Especially since they force you to buy their food as they don't provide a kitchen. Also when I was there every time I tried to order food they told me kitchen was closed. 6pm is quite early to close if you ask me! Needless to say I never ate...

Unfortunately I stayed on the 6th floor and it was so hot up there you could barely sleep because there was no air conditioning....

• 2nd Aug 2015

Excelent hostel, honestly one of the best i've ever been. The locations is just umbelievebly good!!!

• 2nd Aug 2015

A bit more staff on "check-in" hour to process people more quickly.

check in system took too long, its better too have more staff to serve the guests for check in. Its tired & bored waiting in standing position. Thanks.

• Indonesia

Basic and clean. Shower and toilet was tiny. They had place futon on top of the mattress, rather weird.

The hostel is located next to the train station and the bus terminal. While the noise could get pretty loud from the bar downstairs, the rooms are fairly quiet. Rooms are ok - it could get rather warm on some really hot summer days, and shower/toilet are really tight (had to make use of the one shared bathroom which is pretty good if not occupied). The staff are amazing even when reception got pretty busy. The price was a tad bit steep since it was the Pride Fest weekend, but otherwise good :)

The main reason why I choose this Hostel was because I wanted something close to the main station. It is really close. I just had to cross the street. The rooms are nice and clean. They are new or they look very new. The bed in a 4 room was comfortable. The breakfast was very good. I think I had to pay about 5 euro for it but it had all the necesary for a breakfast. I recommend this Hostel. The staff is very nice. It also has a locker room where you have to pay for the use of the locker :)

• 1st Aug 2015
  • Mexico

Enjoyed every minute here. Met a lot of new friends in the bar area. Very welcoming hostel.

The staff was rude.i had been traveling for two days and i accidentally booked for the day prior and instead of helping me the two receptionist laughed at me and told me nice try? It made me want to leave Germany entirely. Very cold experience.

Stayed one night, got there really early in the morning and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Partied in the hostel all night, very fun vibe and easy to meet people if you try

Handy being nearby to the main station. Makes getting around Hamburg very easy. I found this hostel really social, the bar is great at night.