Generator Hostel Hamburg Reviews

Steinorplatz 3, Hamburg, Germany

Would have liked regular room cleans, stayed there for 3 nights and our room wasn't cleaned once, and didn't look like it had been cleaned prior to our arrival. Rooms were also excruciatingly hot, a fan would've helped. Other than that, really great hostel with a friendly, welcoming atmosphere and a few organised events.

On the whole this place was ok but to get to anywhere worth being, expect a ~15 minute ride on the trains, which dont really run after midnight. Staff wasnt especially friendly and worked incredibly slow. The bar had potential but wasn't anything special and was a bit pricy, plus they advertised food they didn't even serve. The rooms were also always ridiculously hot.Finally, don't even bother with the ensuite bathrooms unless you like struggling to turn around, just use the one down the hall.

Cheaper hostel bar, but overall a really nice hostel :)

There is nothing wrong with this place - the beds are really comfy and it's absolutely spotless but it's not a backpackers hostel and is really not suitable for backpackers travelling alone. The lack of kitchen is a bit of a joke, it seems like they've gotten confused about who their audience is - travellers looking for cheaper beds can't afford to eat out every night.

Don't wanna come down too hard on the staff because I think the main problem is that they're understaffed. That said, any time I needed to talk to reception it I would have to wait in line for about 20 minutes. Both times I tried to order food, I was told the chef was on a break or too busy, and it took them like 30 minutes to find laundry detergent for their machines. Some of the staff were helpful and nice but some were pretty unfriendly.

Everything was good! But bathroom and toilet was too small.

Great location right next to Hauptbahnhof so all public transportation is easily accessible. The bathroom and shower cabins were really small and still smelled a bit even when clean.

Such a great place in the heart of hamburg, very easy to get around from and the staff make it a great place. Security on the front door can be a bit intimidating but at least you know it's safe, thanks for a great stay!

The hostel is too hot during the summer. No air conditioning in dorms and the windows don't open at all. I had to move to another place because I was frying...

Excellent location just across from the central train station. I ordered food from the bar which wasn't the best food I've had and was definitely a little over priced and took a long time to come (nearly 40 minutes) even though the bar was quiet. Very clean and beds are comfortable. Lockers are a decent size and the storage room is great to keep your luggage safe after you have checked out. A decent place to get your head down for the night but not the best hostel I have ever stayed in.

I said at Generator Hostel for 2 nights and must say it is a functional but no-frills accommodation. The rooms were clean and big enough, but I missed a kitchen and soap etc. at the restrooms. Further, the "bathroom" with shower is so tiny, that after taking a hot shower you immediately have to open the door, to get in some fresh air. otherwise it keeps beeing as hot and moist as in a steam sauna. so, if you need to stay very central in hamburg, it is a ok coice, but I'd recommend others.

Hello,Thank you for your comments.With regret I had to read that we did not meet your expectations.When we build the Generator we had due to histroical protection, a lot of restrictions.Even we knew they would be small we still decided that every room should have his own bathroom. We are above the hostel standard.On top we have installed additional larger baths on every floor.I would be happy if we get the chance to welcome you again in Hamburg. Sven Heberling, Assistant General Manager

Right beside the HBF, easy to find. Rooms have individual powersockets and reading light but the under-bed storage lockers are quite small, e.g. my pack-pack did not fit in there (own padlock). Otherwise a nice place to sleep.

The best hostel in europe. Value for your money, clean and excellent location. Congratulations guys and keep it that way!

Generator Hostels are usually a safe bet. This one proved no different. Nice location, close to the central train station and major attractions. Good facilities which are well maintained. Staff are welcoming, professional and knowledgeable. On site bar was rather pricey though and breakfast was a mediocre affair.

The positives: excellent location, comfy beds, spacious lounge/restaurant facilities. However, I found several things that were ridiculous - breakfast NOT included, 7 euros for towels, rooms get unbelievably hot at night and bathrooms are TINY. Also, staff is beyond rude (except for tall guy w earring behind the bar - he's fantastic) they act like they're doing you a favor by talking to you. Staff needs to be reminded they're being paid to work - that plus A/C and this would be a better hostel.

Hello, Thank you for your comments.With regret I had to read that your experience with our team was not to your satisfaction.Please be assured that the guest service is very important for us.I have taken the liberty to circulate the comments to our team managers to prevent other guest of having the same problems.I am glad that at least our Bar Supervisor made a fantastic impression to you. I hope you will give us another chance in the future.All the Best, Sven Heberling, Assistant General Man

Great location very close to the central station (easy to find), lovely new premises with a fantastic bar area. Rooms were modern and clean however the ensuite facilities were unique, think an aeroplane toilet but smaller. I stayed in a 6 bed mixed dorm on a lower bunk, very comfortable, private and clean. However, the upper bunks were side-by-side separated by a very shallow divide. This means you are sleeping inches away from a complete stranger if in the upper bunk.

Very easy to find, only 1 min from strain station on foot, very centralized in old-town. Rooms equipped with lockers and basic bathroom with shower. Very friendly reception and a lobby in which we were allowed to remain following a train-delay. Clean bed-linen and available laundromat service. Great value for money.

Definitely a youth hostel feel. Super safe with a guard out front. Very noisy sax player outside for that 3 days I was there, starts at 9am. Very nice rooms, had a female only dorm, fancy beds and nice linens with a private bath and toilet. showers were tiny but they were private :) Area was a tad dodgy but super close to bus station and train station. Nicest rooms I've had in quite some time. Love the hairdryer. Laundry facilities were good, didn't partake in the bar scene.

This hostel was very nice, the rooms clean and salacious with big lockers under the beds. Perhaps not the place for solo travellers as it has a very hotel-like feel and doesn't have much of a social element but a lovely hostel none the less.

I've known about Generator hostels for over 10 years but never stayed in one before. I was thoroughly impressed! The Hamburg Generator is right outside the Hamburg Hbf (train station) and it was very clean inside. The building is very large and looks brand new. The bunk beds were comfortable and each one had plugs for charging devices. There were even USB ports built right into the bed for charging phones and Ipods. Wifi worked throughout the hostel. Breakfast costs extra.