Generator Hostel Hamburg Reviews

Steinorplatz 3, Hamburg, Germany

Good hostel, quite similar to the others in the Generator chain. Clean, well staffed, with an okay bar. The place is extremely big though, 6 floors and a couple of hundred rooms, so it can be a little harder to make friends than at smaller places.

I'm one for having fun at work but the bar staff were always too busy play fighting to take an order. reception staff were usually emotionless and if any emotions did appear it was rudeness.

Really close to the central station, with its own nice cafe, small but functioning and clean bathrooms inside the rooms.I'm coming back for sure!

Great location, brilliant staff very friendly, great atmosphere, quality rooms, very well maintained.

Pros: Great facilities, very clean, very modern decor. The seating areas in the lobby and bar were awesome. Security guard was friendly. Cons: BAD BARTENDER. Ordered a happy hour drink and she had no idea what the happy hour deals were and refused to read the sign or give me the discount. Was a very uncomfortable experience. Also, no age limit for the dorm room, so we had an older guy in the room who was a bit grumpy and asleep by 8:00. I would give the hostel another chance. It was nice.

Althoug I already paid 10% of the entire amount beforehand (more than 60 euros, since I booked for 7 people) a the reception didn't consider my reservation number and the money I spent in advancem saying those were part of the hostelworld website's reservation fee... they didn't leave us a receipt when we paid, so I cannot even prove it. (worse than Italy, from this point of view :-P)

Very good. £37 for a night is kinda expensive for a 6-people dorm though.

Very small toilet with no soap. In the "morning" (10) the cleaning staff came into the room, and left without doing anything, but slamming the door. Great location, though.

one of the nicest hostels I've visited. the only bad thing is that the staff. as costumed in big hostels, the staff is very busy and not so friendly, but that doesn't really matter - everything else is really good

Overall great hostel. Close to the ZOB and trains ( across the street), showers were amazing! Downside is no kitchen. Would definetly stay here if I'm ever in hamburg again.

Since there is a hostel staff here, they should be more concerned/courteous towards the visitors and spend more time attending to them. Helps increase the quality of stay. The ensuite bathroom was so tiny that we ended up using the common bathrooms more often. Would not recommend a private room to anyone.

• 19th Apr 2014
  • India

Great place! It's better than lots of hotels I've been to. Has everything you need!

• 18th Apr 2014

If you look for noise and party this is the place for you. If you want to rest after an intense day you should not go to Generator Hamburg. I stayed there in the Easter Holiday and it was crowded, a lot of drunk "kids" inside the hostel, screaming and disrespecting women, with NO reaction of the staff. If you are a woman I do not recommend you to stay in a shared dorm. If you are a man, I wish you good luck with your room. Nice but expensive breakfast and good location.

A stones throw from bus station. Great ammenities!

It's more like a hotel than a hostel. No kitchen. The bathroom of my room (6-bed mixed) was really small.

The hostel is central, WiFi was always working, the rooms are modern and there are spacious lockers (don't forget your padlock); also it was quiet during the nights. But the bathrooms are really tiny and weren't cleaned even once, and it took ages to get warm water.. There were also spacious bathrooms on the floor, but they were dirty. The keycards usually didn't work, and the breakfast wan't worth its price. The lounge closes really early and its staff was rude.

Great location, everything in the hostel was great some of the staff seemed a bit disinterested but the rest were great. The bar is really cool but still quite expensive for food and drink but overall was a great hostel.

The common areas at this hostel are great, and the staff is relatively helpful, although not really frendly. We stayed at an 8 bed dorm and the facilities were ok, even if the rooms are small, but it was really dirty: it smelled awful (like they hadn't cleaned or ventilated in a few days; I've often stayed in dorms, but never in one that smelled like this one) and the bathroom was disgusting. However, they did clean it right away when we asked.

Fantastic location, easy to get to from the central station. Great lobbies and central areas, although rooms are quite cramped and prefabricated. Wifi is good.

It is ok for a nigth or two if your idea is visiting the city and just using the hostel for sleeping and having a shower. It has nothing pretty bad but nothing pretty good, either. The staff is really unkind. The location is really close to the center.