Generator Hostel Hamburg Reviews

Steinorplatz 3, Hamburg, Germany

2049 Total Reviews

Best Hostel I have ever visited (only 5 so far). Great people, great lounge, nice bar, tidy rooms

• 20th Jul 2014

The showers were a bit on the small side but apart from that everything else was perfect.

Nice and clean rooms, but there was some wierd smell from the ensuite bathroom. But other than that, it is a perfect hostel. Will book it next time i go to Hamburg

I had to sleep in the lobby one night. The room was too hot and had no air conditioning. The bathroom is tiny, shower it right at your face and the water gets everywhere.

Everything was >>great

Very clean, modern hostel. Good location because it's right beside the bus and train station, but in sketchy neighborhood. Bathrooms in the dorms are ridiculously tiny, but clean. Great food at the restaurant, friendly staff, and very secure. Go on the free walking tour... and the pub crawl! Would stay here again.

Would have liked regular room cleans, stayed there for 3 nights and our room wasn't cleaned once, and didn't look like it had been cleaned prior to our arrival. Rooms were also excruciatingly hot, a fan would've helped. Other than that, really great hostel with a friendly, welcoming atmosphere and a few organised events.

On the whole this place was ok but to get to anywhere worth being, expect a ~15 minute ride on the trains, which dont really run after midnight. Staff wasnt especially friendly and worked incredibly slow. The bar had potential but wasn't anything special and was a bit pricy, plus they advertised food they didn't even serve. The rooms were also always ridiculously hot.Finally, don't even bother with the ensuite bathrooms unless you like struggling to turn around, just use the one down the hall.

Cheaper hostel bar, but overall a really nice hostel :)

There is nothing wrong with this place - the beds are really comfy and it's absolutely spotless but it's not a backpackers hostel and is really not suitable for backpackers travelling alone. The lack of kitchen is a bit of a joke, it seems like they've gotten confused about who their audience is - travellers looking for cheaper beds can't afford to eat out every night.

Don't wanna come down too hard on the staff because I think the main problem is that they're understaffed. That said, any time I needed to talk to reception it I would have to wait in line for about 20 minutes. Both times I tried to order food, I was told the chef was on a break or too busy, and it took them like 30 minutes to find laundry detergent for their machines. Some of the staff were helpful and nice but some were pretty unfriendly.

Everything was good! But bathroom and toilet was too small.

Great location right next to Hauptbahnhof so all public transportation is easily accessible. The bathroom and shower cabins were really small and still smelled a bit even when clean.

Such a great place in the heart of hamburg, very easy to get around from and the staff make it a great place. Security on the front door can be a bit intimidating but at least you know it's safe, thanks for a great stay!

The hostel is too hot during the summer. No air conditioning in dorms and the windows don't open at all. I had to move to another place because I was frying...

Excellent location just across from the central train station. I ordered food from the bar which wasn't the best food I've had and was definitely a little over priced and took a long time to come (nearly 40 minutes) even though the bar was quiet. Very clean and beds are comfortable. Lockers are a decent size and the storage room is great to keep your luggage safe after you have checked out. A decent place to get your head down for the night but not the best hostel I have ever stayed in.

I said at Generator Hostel for 2 nights and must say it is a functional but no-frills accommodation. The rooms were clean and big enough, but I missed a kitchen and soap etc. at the restrooms. Further, the "bathroom" with shower is so tiny, that after taking a hot shower you immediately have to open the door, to get in some fresh air. otherwise it keeps beeing as hot and moist as in a steam sauna. so, if you need to stay very central in hamburg, it is a ok coice, but I'd recommend others.

Hello,Thank you for your comments.With regret I had to read that we did not meet your expectations.When we build the Generator we had due to histroical protection, a lot of restrictions.Even we knew they would be small we still decided that every room should have his own bathroom. We are above the hostel standard.On top we have installed additional larger baths on every floor.I would be happy if we get the chance to welcome you again in Hamburg. Sven Heberling, Assistant General Manager

Right beside the HBF, easy to find. Rooms have individual powersockets and reading light but the under-bed storage lockers are quite small, e.g. my pack-pack did not fit in there (own padlock). Otherwise a nice place to sleep.

The best hostel in europe. Value for your money, clean and excellent location. Congratulations guys and keep it that way!

Generator Hostels are usually a safe bet. This one proved no different. Nice location, close to the central train station and major attractions. Good facilities which are well maintained. Staff are welcoming, professional and knowledgeable. On site bar was rather pricey though and breakfast was a mediocre affair.