Guest House Pongyi Reviews

2-22, Rokumai-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Kanazawa, Japan

This hostel was fantastic, the staff were very welcoming and put on some activities for everyone. It's nice and cosy, and pretty close to the station. Would definitely recommend!

Guest House Pongyi was absolutely fantastic. It is located in a beautiful old Kimono shop and staffed by perhaps the loveliest people we met in Japan! Very welcoming and hospitable, they went out of their way to make us feel welcome and involved in a number of Japanese New Year traditions. They provided great information about Kanazawa and Japanese society in general. If you want to experience real Kanazawa, I would not stay anywhere else!

• 31st Dec 2015

Small but good atmosphere. Enjoyed our stay here. Good experience

A Lonely Planet recommendation that exceeded my expectations! Great location, and the hostel itself is in a converted kimono shop. The owner and his staff are friendly and keen to talk to the guests and explain Kanazawan history. There are activities in the evening, such as folding paper cranes (trickier than it looks). Overall, an excellent stay and highly recommended!

I wasn’t sure what to expect before staying with them, but definitively exceed those expectations for what’s worth. If you’re lucky enough to catch one of the ten spots they’ve, the attention you’ll receive in exchange will be amazing. My only day there was Pocky Day in Japan (11/11), so we’ve a party with the whole gang of guests that night. It’s nice to share our travel experiences with everyone and then keep talking like good old friends. Also, the location is perfect, just a 8-minute or

Very very cute place. I love how the staffs always introduce you to every guests, which make it feel very home-like. It very charming. It very clean and well maintained. Slept well and really enjoy the tea and cups they provide. They even have tea ceremony etc. About 10 minute walks from JR station. The only think I don't like is the lack of dryer after doing my laundry.. The ladies are really nice.

A nice homely hostel... a little on the smaller side but did not find it to be a major problem

Wonderful little hostel with friendly staff who speak English. The staff here were great. They suggested things to do nearby, gave us a map and told us all of the things going on in the town that weekend. It used to be an old kimono shop, so it's full of history and charm.

• 17th Oct 2015

The hostel has a very vintage feeling and the staff, Yuuko-san and Maru-san, are very friendly. Each night there is a small event for all guest (when i was there, it was a tea party and going to public bath). Everything is clean and the bedding is so soft (compared to other hostel I was staying). Definitely worth the money

One of the best hostels in Japan. So homely! Yu san and Maru san are the best!!! :)

Fantastic place.

Pongyi was amazing! The other travelers were friendly, the hosts were fun and helpful, and the city was just beautiful. While I was there I was interviewed by a TV show with 2 other guests, which consisted of being driven around all day to a variety of sites and having everything paid for! This happened because Pongyi is a gem and the owners are connected to the community so journalists come to them with questions about travelers. Also we had a public bath and dinner party - 2 fun nights!!

Best hostel I've stayed at in Japan! Everyone is super friendly and the lovely owners cultivate a community atmosphere. It is good for solo travellers like me to feel like home and meet other people.

Very excellent hostel/guesthouse. The staff are very welcoming and extremely friendly and considerate. The hostel is very small but very cosy and comfortable, and the staff introduce the new guests to the others, creating a warm and fun atmosphere. There are also some very cool activities, like folding cranes, and I was even served shaved ice (which was very welcome in the summer heat!). The only issue is that there is only one shower, but as I said it is a very small hostel. Great location.

This is a top hostel, they dont get much better than this. It feels like going home when you head back for pongyi after some sightseeing in Kanazawa or nearby regions.