Guest House Pongyi Reviews

2-22, Rokumai-machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa, Kanazawa, Japan

Very excellent hostel/guesthouse. The staff are very welcoming and extremely friendly and considerate. The hostel is very small but very cosy and comfortable, and the staff introduce the new guests to the others, creating a warm and fun atmosphere. There are also some very cool activities, like folding cranes, and I was even served shaved ice (which was very welcome in the summer heat!). The only issue is that there is only one shower, but as I said it is a very small hostel. Great location.

This is a top hostel, they dont get much better than this. It feels like going home when you head back for pongyi after some sightseeing in Kanazawa or nearby regions.

Staff here are amazing! They were so friendly and welcoming and they really went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. The private room upstairs is great! And the hostel is in a really nice location on the canal, you can just follow the water all the way to the centre of town. Would definitely stay here again.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Guesthouse Pongyi! The house itself is beautiful, and the dorms are very nice, with comfortable beds, curtains for privacy and your own reading light. But the most amazing thing is the staff - I have never felt so welcomed in a hostel! They make such an effort to learn everyone's name and introduce all the guests to each other. There's lots of activities too - during my stay we played a traditional game called 'flowing noodles', which was hilarious! Stay here!

The hostel is a 100+ year old kimono shop (if I remember correctly), which means that it's fairly tiny. This could have been a big disadvantage, but instead serves to strengthen its charm: a very social and cozy atmosphere. Within 5 minutes of my arrival, I was thrust into a jinbei and taken along to a fireworks festival along the banks of one of the local rivers. This was followed by a visit to an izakaya, and the next day a visit to a local primary school festival. Can't wait to return.

Great hostel, staff were very friendly.

Best guesthouse ever go! The staff are all really nice! Thank you very much for preparing taste ice and firework for us!

• 20th Jul 2015
  • Hong Kong
  • All Male Group, 18-24

7 mins walk to train station, though not really close to any of the attractions, the hostel is situated right by the canal which is a nice stroll to the city centre. its a small and neat hostel, although i wish the dorm rooms had windows and were brighter. the owners and staff were both very good! helped me alot and even helped my friend who wasn't even staying at the hostel...thank you yuu!

Pongyi was one of the best hostels I've stayed at. There are activities every night (calligraphy, tea ceremony, origami, and fireworks are the ones I did), and the owner and two staff workers are some of the nicest people I've ever met and are involved with charity work, which I find admirable. Pongyi is very close to the station and is easy to find from the city center because you can follow a canal back to its location. I'll most definitely be staying there again when I return :)

Couldnt have asked for better staff or a better place to stay.

This was the best hostel i have ever stayed at! Felt very at home thanks to the accomodating staff

Fantastic small hostel with a homely feel. Maru-san and Yuu-san are keen to share traditional Japanese culture with visitors such as tea ceremonies, dressing in Yukata and going to the Sento bathes near the hostel. Each bed has a curtain and lock boxes are available for valuables. The hostel is cleaned from top to bottom daily and is beautifully clean.

I enjoyed the activities that the was carried out by the guest house every night. They were really friendly and extremely accommodating.

Amazing guesthouse! The staff are super friendly and personable, and the location is good: very close to the train station. It is a traditional Japanese house, and very beautiful. Beds were large and comfortable with privacy curtains However only one shower and toilet, but it's not a problem as it's quite a small guest house

Great staff and nice atmosphere.

Excellent time, wish I had more time. The Pongyi staff is so friendly, accommodating and love to teach Japanese culture. Thanks for a great time!

• 24th May 2015

Amazing hostel close to the main train station in Kanazawa. Maru-san and Yuu-san were amazing. We did the calligraphy lesson as well as the Japanese tea ceremony and they were both great fun! The hostel is extremely clean and it is very easy to meet people.

Very cool guesthouse site a staff very friendly. Totally love my stay.

Love love love Pongyi Guesthouse! Amazing people, amazing time. Some of my best memories in Japan.

Small place but very cozy!. The staff are really friendly and helpfull. They took me and other guests by car to a tattoo friendly onsen (because I have two big tattoos and most of the japonese onses don't allow tattooed people inside) and spend time there with us. So kind! They also showed diferents aspect about japanese culture, like how to do origami or how to prepare matcha tea. Good location! I really recommend it! :)