HI-Halifax, Halifax Heritage House Hostel Reviews

1253 Barrington Street, Barrington Street, Halifax, Canada

A comfortable hostel. Good kitchen and eating area. I do think HI hostels should as a standard provide some sort of basic breakfast. Train and supermarket close by.

Enjoyed my stay there.

The hostel was great, staff was great and very helpful and accommodating, however the location was in a bad neighborhood, but yet it was very close to our destination so overall the stay was great. Thanks

• 25th Aug 2014

My only complaint is related to the fact that it is pretty hot in the dorms.

Nailed it!

There is no air conditioning in the building, and the place was really hot all weekend. There was a lack of privacy, particularly the bathroom where men and women share it at the same time.

It smelled like mildew in the female rooms. My cleanliness score would have been much higher if this problem was not present.

Rooms were nice and relatively big, bathroom facilities were clean, room could have been cleaner, good security, really nice kitchen and chill out area, staff could have been friendlier, good location but a little noisy, free towels

Big hostel in a good location near the centre of Halifax and close to the bus station. Very busy kitchen but plenty of fridges and storage. My room on the 2nd floor was very hot and small for 4 people with not much space for bags, luggage, etc. The staff were friendly and did a free bbq on Canada Day and a trip on the ferry to watch the fireworks.

I thought I was making a reservation in Halifax North Carolina, I called and cancelled. They were wonderful on the phone.

• 21st Jun 2014

I had a great time there while seeking accommodation in and around Halifax.You get to meet some great people.They do not offer a breakfast though but everything else was excellent.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • South Africa

This hostel is just ok.The kitchen is great!!! Unfortunately my room was not. I stayed in the female dorms, which are located in the basement. The rug was stained and cut up, and it was dark with a bit of a funky smell. It wasn't awful, but it was below average. If you are not going to spend time in the room, then I would say staying here is fine.

The staff were friendly and nice and the use of a code for the door made it safe. I felt that it would have been more value for money if a breakfast had been included and the computers had been working while I stayed there. Very clean, kitchen closed during the day to ensure this, although nobody really spoke to each other outside their groups.

• 21st May 2014

After staying at several hostels this one had pretty much everything you would be looking for: large fully stocked kitchen, secure staff access only luggage storage, lockers big enough to fit a backpack, 2 min walk from a grocery store, excellent location, clean bathrooms, and lots of outlets. The only thing they didn't have was free breakfast and they were a bit more pricey than other places I have stayed but overall I would say this was one of the best equipped places I have stayed.

This hostel was a nice place for the amount of money I paid.

• 2nd May 2014

Helpful staff, good location, cosy atmoshpere, dorms/ toilets a bit cramped.