Hong Kong Hostel Reviews

A1, 3/F, Paterson Bldg., 47 Paterson St., Causeway Bay, Hong Kong, Hong Kong

I've been using Hostel world and usually when I see a hostel really well ranked I never had any complaints, but this time it didn't match my expectations. The pictures I saw on the site are not of the rooms they give you in the "other building". I stay in a really crappy room, that was part of an apartment, which means share the bathroom, who didn't had hot water, it wasn't clean and they store a LOT of things there!, which make it look even dirtiest. I will look for a different hostel next time

• Mexico

I had a small, but functioning room. Only minuses are, that the reception was in another building pretty far away, and the door to my room wasn't at all soundproof, so I was disturbed all night by other guests arriving. (It was a busy night.)

• Finland

In all honesty I have nothing negative to say about this hostel. Comfortable sleeping arrangements one grievance is the wifi didn't work in some of the rooms. Other than that I had a pleasant stay. Would highly recommend.

• 31st Dec 2015

its quite far away from center of the city but i am only one in 9 bed room)

• 29th Dec 2015
  • Russia

Good things- a central location to crash over in HK and they have a cute cat in the breakout area. Yes that's about it. Bad things- not the cleanest hostel, staff could be friendlier when greeting you, the wifi is absolutely terrible. Seriously for HK, the land of super fibre optic Internet, you're getting speeds from 2005, and for the price you're paying it's simply not good enough not to upgrade the wifi at that place. Would I stay again? Probably as a last port of call.

wifi. Cheaper hostels in Chungking Mansion have much better wifi signal everywhere

Too expensive, otherwise good

Great location and this seems be cheaper than others in area. Bathroom was very grotty and wasn't cleaned during the four days we were there. A little hard to find.

The Hostel rooms were spread over several buildings. The reception was hard to find, as there is no sign. The rooms (6er dorm, mixed) where good but it wasn´t very clean. There was litter laying around for several days that already seemed to be quite old and some clothes leftovers. We couldn´t close the bathroom door, which was bad as you could look inside from two beds. The hostel offers ok rooms for Hongkong but we were missing the hostel feeling in the spread appartments.

• 17th Dec 2015

This hostel advertise under 3 different names. The common area is tiny, wifi is bad, and the staff unfriendly.

Ridiculously awful service, had no clue about assigning individuals to dorms and constantly had to move rooms. Hard to find water . Good location (right next to shops) but not worth it for the hassle you will have to put up with if you stay here.

• 16th Dec 2015

Illegal Hostel, when entering the building an announcement of the Hongkong Ministery mentioned that the Hostel is operated illegally. Due to construction it was really loud and the rooms were extremly small.

The room is very small (although that is normal for Hong kong). Had to sit diagonally when using the toilet to avoid hitting the wall. told the staff once a day for several days that our shower door and shower head were broken, but they never fixed it. The WiFi does not work unless you are standing on top of the modem. On the plus side, the location is very central and has easy access to the mtr. Oh, they also sell the most expensive water bottles in all of Hong Kong.

One of the nicer budget hostels I visited in HK, the lack of toilet facilities is annoying at peak times.

• 10th Dec 2015

Staff Amy very friendly and accommodative. Thanks so much.

• 8th Dec 2015
  • Malaysia
  • Couple, 41+

Great little place. Not sure why there are negative reviews for things like the heat and humidity - it's like that all over Hong Kong! The rooms were fine, clean, there was plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Staff was super friendly and accommodating. WiFi worked fine, the lounge area was great and had that classic traveller/backpacker feel to it. Awesome location. Excellent prices - couldn't ask for anything better for what you pay for. Coming from the mainland it was like paradise :P

Nice hostel but maybe the price is a bit high.

I would stay here again. I found the hostel to be cramped and the staff to be a little unfriendly--however, my impression is that both these problemsare typical of hostels in Hong Kong. When there was a major malfunction with our toilet, the staff initially ignored our maintenance request and later repaired the toilet, but with no apology for the problem or the long wait. On the other hand, we greatly appreciated the free room upgrade at the beginning--that improved our stay tremendously.

I have stayed here before, and I picked it again on my way through Hong Kong because of its convenient location and relatively cheap price for Hong Kong. I would stay here again, but not in the bigger dorms. I signed up for an 8 bed dorm; they switched us to a 10 bed dorm, and this room was in another building about a block away. I didn't like that because the dorm didn't have any wifi, and was so far away from the main reception that it made getting to wifi/check out service was a hassle.

I've stayed at the Hong Kong Hostel all three times I've travelled to Hong Kong. It's in a great location - Causeway Bay, and is close to the MTR, buses and trolley with lots of shops and restaurants very nearby. I usually stay in a single private room with a bathroom - it was clean every time, with enough space for luggage etc. This is my go-to place to stay in HK.