India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Great vibes and tons of people willing to socialize and have fun. Not the best choice if you want to have a calm stay.

Great people, great atmosphere. I'll surely be staying here again!

• 29th Mar 2015

Overall, the staff there were friendly and competent, except for when we first checked in. It took some time to go through the process and the person checking us in seemed out of it and disoriented. We would recommend that when payment is rendered, the receipt not be left out on the counter, as it contains partial credit card information. It should be locked away somewhere -- if not a cash register, then a locked box, so that it's not just sitting there for people to take.

• 25th Mar 2015

This hostel was disgusting. My room was one of the nicer ones and things were stained, falling apart, and dingy. The staff was generally civil but not nice. Every night loud drunk travelers stayed up until 4, 5, even 6 am being loud on the back deck, which was adjacent to most of the sleeping quarters. Bathrooms were also disgusting, with dilapidated furnishings and uncomfortable facilities. All furniture was stained, smelly, and falling apart. Stay here if you like to party all night.

• 25th Mar 2015

Location = v. easy to get to by streetcar or a $10 cab ride from the French Quarter. Comfortable and fairly clean, with sparse furniture but sheets/blankets provided. We had a private room, shared bath (2 toilets/3 showers in the house, all private but on the main hall). The lock on the door to our room was broken but the staff was very helpful & apologetic. We were able to leave our valuables there all week (before it was fixed on our last day) without having anything disturbed/taken.

• 24th Mar 2015

We had a great stay, I only wish I had more time so I could enjoy the pool! I ate dinner one night served by the hostel, and it was great. The location in proximity to the trolleys was perfect.

• 22nd Mar 2015

This is the best hostel in the world. It gets only better with time!

• 22nd Mar 2015

The facilities for the bathroom were poor and the room was quite dirty and worn down. Despite making reservations the room I had booked was already full when I arrived. Good atmosphere for socializing and easy streetcar access to New Orleans, but I'm too old (32) for this now. Adios, hostel experiences!

I had a great time meeting new people and making new friends from all over the world. The pool and common areas were ample and had a chilled out vibe. The facilities themselves can be a little better like more comfortable mattresses and non creaky and non squeaky bunk beds. Being a hostel you know its not a hotel and you don't ask for too much more, but this is basic. The beds made noise every time someone would turn in their sleep. Everything else was great. I would definitely come back.

• 21st Mar 2015
  • India

will be coming back to India House for my next trip to NOLA!

• 21st Mar 2015

Good facilities. Very nicely decorated and it has a pool, which was awesome! The India House is located one minute from a trolley stop that takes you right to the French Quarter and it runs until 4 am. Perfect! Great hostel in a amazing city! I really recommend it!!

Our private room needed sweeping, the bathroom needed a good scrub, and the lack of hand soap in our bathroom was irritating. Otherwise, our stay was enjoyable. Staff were helpful and the atmosphere was friendly. We found the location to be convenient enough to the French Quarter for our purposes, and the availability of parking was a big bonus.

The place was really really unclean, especially in the showers/bathrooms, but everywhere else as well. There weren't any towels left for us, we had to use sheets. The staff was nice though !

• 20th Mar 2015

very nice atmosphere. the location is convenient: it takes about 15mn to go downtown with the trolley

Really really dirty showers and rooms

• 19th Mar 2015

It's convenient to get everywhere by bus. Bus stop is 1 minute away. Love this place. It's the best choice for poor students ^^

I planned to stay for one night, but loved it so much I extended my stay for one more night before going onto my destination. I then booked a room on my way back through from my vacation because I enjoyed the people, the facilities and the environment so much! It will always be my first place to look when I need to stay in New Orleans.

• 19th Mar 2015

I had a fantastic time staying at India House. I especially loved the meals prepared by the Hostel's chefs. I would definitely return to India House in the future and will recommend it to my friends.

• 18th Mar 2015

Had a good time in Nola. The India House was definetely the right choice!

• 16th Mar 2015
  • Austria

I UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MUST RAISE YOUR PRICES ON HOLIDAYS BUT DOUBLING THE PRICES IS TOO MUCH. I PAID $160.00 FOR 2 NIGHTS FOR A ROOM THAT DID NOT HAVE VENTILATION AND A FAN THAT DID NOT WORK IN ADDITION, ONE EVENING,. THERE WAS NO HOT WATER AND I COULD NOT TAKE A SHOWER. ONE STAFF OFFER ED TO CHANGE MY ROOM. I WOULD HAVE HAD TO MAKE MY PACK AGAIN, THEN DRESSED UP, GET OUT OF THE BUILDING TO GO TO ANOTHER ONE. WELL I WAS TOO TIRED TO DO THAT.

• 16th Mar 2015