India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Fantastic stay. The place is extremely conveniently located and I was able to meet people from all over the world.

• 19th May 2015

Before I booked this hostel, I checked out the pictures on their actual website which looked decent. Our actual dorm and bathroom did NOT look anything like the pictures. The dorm rooms & bathrooms were a lot dirtier and in need of repairs/paint throughout. Hostel smelled musty. Mattress covers were ripped and needed to be replaced. We only stayed one night and ended up cancelling the remainder of our reservation. The hostel was conveniently located about half a block from the streetcar.

There pics on the walls are cute and there's nothing wrong with this place that I haven't seen in other hostels, but I've had better stays elsewhere.

While at the India House, we did enjoy the close proximity to downtown and the French quarter, but we were very unhappy with the level of service from workers and cleanliness we experienced. I also am skeptical of the cleanliness of the pool, as for the first time in my life I gained an eye infection after swimming there.

• 13th May 2015

Great stay. Good atomopher. They have a $80 credit card min so bring cash. Lots of common areas. I would stay again.

It's a heavan for young Travellers - you always fond a cool group, a cold beer and somebody to flirt with!

• 10th May 2015

Nice place with a wonderful layout. Right next to the trolley lines, so its easy to get around. The staff are generally friendly (though--not that it really matters--some can be a bit brusque). I see some of the reviews say its dirty or loud . . .well, yes, it probably could have been a bit cleaner, but as for noise: why stay in a hostel if you can't stand noise? So: highly recommended--especially for the price.

This was my second time staying at India House. I have stayed in the dorms as well as the private suite with private bath and really enjoyed both stays. I don't go to New Orleans for the hotel, I go for the fun and this place is definitely fun! Safety is always big for me wherever I stay and although the house is on a poorly lit street, I would sit outside all night I felt so safe there.

• 9th May 2015

India Hostel is a busy place. Lot of people, lot of room, lot of noise (including air conditioning !)... It's not very clean and there is not a lot of privacy in bathroom. But it's still a nice place !! It's not such a probleme to share the place with others travelers like you. The pool is great after a day strolling in New Orleans. We had also a very good Jamalaya for 5$. Location is great with the streetcar across the street (3$ day pass). It's good value for the price.

The dorm is in a courtyard where there is no silence hour in the night. So you can sleep at 3am and stay people in the courtyard drinking, singing and laughing. Staff just 'not customer-oriented'. This is the minimum bad you can say from them. They claim minimum $80 amount for any credit card payment. An absurd limit never heard before. The true reason? 'Please take cash from my ATM inside that I receive a commission and client extra-extra-charge'. This is how this hotel treat their clients.

I might have enjoyed this hostel if I had been 30 younger.This is definitely a hostel for people younger than 30. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have slept in for some time

This was the best decision I ever made staying in New Orleans. The location is perfect, the people are amazing and the kitchen food that is prepared is so damn good. Stay here because it is cheap badass.

• 6th May 2015

Very dirty place. Bathroom faucet broken. The facility in general are falling apart. Doors are dirty & in need to fresh paint.

• 6th May 2015

We had a private room + private bathroom in the home of the back of the hostel. A chair and table would be appreciated. Sound isolation is very poor (we hear people in the hallway and in the room next to us.

• 5th May 2015

A lively hostel located just 10 mins away from Bourbon Street on the streetcar. The pool is great and the food they serve at breakfast is okay. Decent chill out room with a big TV. However, the staff were very miserable and always made me feel like they were doing me a favour (with the exception of Grace who was a great laugh). Also, it's not the cleanest hostel I've stayed in but it's liveable.

Extremely crowded living space. Filthy conditions. Location is isolated. Can do much better in this city.

The place was very dirty. Staff members unexperienced and/or not willing to help.

Gigantic cockroaches running across the floor in both bedrooms and kitchen, and uncaring staff who were quite rude when asking for help (with the exception of one Kiwi girl, who was lovely). If you can deal with the infestations great place to stay for meeting others, but never again for us. Better hostels available elsewhere!

• 2nd May 2015
  • New Zealand

It was okay; very minimal. Stayed in a private double room ensuite which was a bunk bed with a larger bed on the bottom. Would have preferred a normal double bed for a couple for $100/night. Towels are not included even in the ensuite and you can't rent them, you have to pay $5 each which we thought was quite high. They could've done more for that price which is more hotel-price. But good location, especially for JazzFest the price was reasonable. Not super clean, but not dirty either.

All dorms were booked on Hostelworld so I had to book into a private room. When I got there the guy at the reception told me that there was dorms available and changed it for me. But he said that I couldn't use my $ 11 deposit that I already paid for it? So I kinda lost out on that money. Other than that the hostel is pretty average. I had to wait half an hour to check out and the hostel is not the cleanest you' ll ever see.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7