India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

No real complaints, paper thin walls in private room, and water constantly changing from hot to cold in the shower. Besides that, great stay.

This is the worst hostelworld I've stayed in. The staff are rude and unfriendly, one guy is very overweight and always dresses grubily and ignores you once you've checked in. The tall dark lady only talks to you if she has to. My dorm was large but hadn't been swept in months and the bathrooms always unclean. The ceiling fan and air con was automatically switched off around 11pm every night leaving you to swelter. It's in a dodgy part of town but is close to the street cars which is something.

Our stay at India House in New Orleans was fantastic! Our room was in the newest building. I would compare it to a nice hotel...hardwood floors, fresh paint, very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the other backpackers we met were nice. They served breakfast and dinner for just $5 each which was great. The hostel was also quiet at night so going to bed early after an eventful day was easy. I would definitely stay again!!

• 13th Jul 2014

Great place to meet people! Breakfast and dinner are yummy and cheap as well if you dont feel like going downtown that early! Wifi is great (or was in our room!)

India House offered value for money. However, showers could vary in temperature, sometimes scolding and other times freezing (I stayed in Praise) and the politeness of staff varied considerably. The blonde lady who checked me out was particularly brash. I have moved on to Hotel Monteleone now, so can't really complain. For the most part, India House was delightful! When asked, the staff were happy to recommend things to do: the Maple Leaf being my favourite.

• 12th Jul 2014

Amazing hostel, amazing staff. It was the perfect location and the cleanest hostel I have been in. The rooms had just the right amount of people and space. The staff were so helpful, almost like having a free tour guide service. Can't wait to go back.

• 11th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

Fantastic location, great atmosphere and environment, accommodating staff . Truly a unique New-Orleans experience.

• 11th Jul 2014

I, as a senior lady(70+)traveling alone, I was very confortable with the younger guest at India House. Would do it all over again

• 10th Jul 2014

Very nice atmosphere and delicious homecooked dinner for only 5$ Probably one of the best places in New Orleans to meet fellow backpackers

Writing this review as I'm killing time waiting for my bus to Memphis and hating the idea of leaving this place. It's easily the best hostel I've stayed at. All the facilities you'd need from a hostel, a great atmosphere and unbelievably friendly and accommodating staff. (Shout out to Melissa for her help and friendly attitude.) 10/10 would recommend this place.

I expected a friendly place and found only a business. Although I stayed only one night so maybe my feedback is biased... Plus, at 31 I feel too old for this kind of place. But the truth is, beds are really not comfortable at all and I didn't sleep well !

• 9th Jul 2014

A fine hostel, book ahead

• 8th Jul 2014

India House is awesome. Great for young travellers. I felt right at home.

• 7th Jul 2014

So this hostel had extremely nice rooms that would make me want to stay here again... and then they had really old poor rooms that make me not want to return. If I were to stay at this Hostel again I would hope for nicer staff and request a specific room that is one of the newer/updated rooms with AC.

• 6th Jul 2014

We stayed in a private room with a bathroom which made all the difference. It was quite & easy. However, the staff seemed to be clueless most of the time and almost worked in slow motion. I avoided asking for help or questions because I didn't want to be met with a rude attitude or a blank stare as if asking what time the trolley typically runs was the weirdest question they'd ever heard. Anyway, The private rooms were great but the staff made our stay a bit uncomfortable.

• 6th Jul 2014

A really good backpackers facility- good feel.

• Couple, 41+

Cheap, but the private rooms are pretty rough and its far from anything worth doing. Streetcar takes forever so we ended up cabbing everywhere. Our room literally had a big hole in the wall, and the dusty old air conditioner made me sick. Staff are 50/50- some are lovely but others are rude and indifferent.

The private room is a shack near a noisy filthy fountain that has a hook to lock the inside of two peices of plywood acting as a door and a padlock for the outside. There is ONLY a bed a reading lamp and a ledge! The bathrooms and showers are unisex no privacy. The 8 bed women's dorm was spacious clean and decent with a real lock. Didn't like the wood platform leading to the shower but it was private and clean. There always was a group hanging out in the back. Won't be back EVER!!!

• 4th Jul 2014

Great hostel. I would stay here again. Enjoyed hanging out in the lounge area, and meeting new people. The staff was very friendly, and accommodating. The shower is a little busted, and it's a trek to get home from Bourbon Street when there are no taxis available. Had a great time though!!!

Need to fix air conditioner in all rooms. Food was great. 75 percent of the staff was friendly and bad knowledge of the area

• 2nd Jul 2014