India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

India World was a treat. I came to NOLA for a wedding and while my friends' nightly rate at a hotel was the entire amount of my private room for the weekend. So great! The pool is such a treat because it's so hot out and easy to meet people. America doesn't have a great hostel network like the rest of the world so I was very surprised just how great this place. Thank you and I hope to come back soon!

• 22nd May 2015

Fantastic stay. The place is extremely conveniently located and I was able to meet people from all over the world.

• 19th May 2015

The hostel was definitely somewhere I will return in the future. Very clean and homey like. The facilities are wonderful my reasoning for the 4/5 on that is because of their being no air conditioning in the kitchen but understand why there isn't. I've never stayed in a hostel until now and it was a great first experience.

• 18th May 2015

fantastic atmosphere. staff were awesome. located just off canal st, very easy to get into the French quarter by street car or walking. wouldn't stay anywhere else in new Orleans

Place to stay if you want to party. Easy and cheap to catch the trolley to French quarter. Check out parkway bakery nearby does great po'boy and has been around since 1911. Swamp tour was really good.

Before I booked this hostel, I checked out the pictures on their actual website which looked decent. Our actual dorm and bathroom did NOT look anything like the pictures. The dorm rooms & bathrooms were a lot dirtier and in need of repairs/paint throughout. Hostel smelled musty. Mattress covers were ripped and needed to be replaced. We only stayed one night and ended up cancelling the remainder of our reservation. The hostel was conveniently located about half a block from the streetcar.

Married couple booked a double bedroom - bit disappoineted that our room had bunk beds . Room wasn't v clean and very cramped. Hostel has great facilities, very friendly welcoming staff and very nice atmosphere. Enjoyed our stay but do think for the price could have been a bit cleaner.

• 15th May 2015

There pics on the walls are cute and there's nothing wrong with this place that I haven't seen in other hostels, but I've had better stays elsewhere.

Nice private room with en suite. Bare basics, but clean and comfortable enough. Funky decor, nice neighborhood. Lots of interesting, friendly people.

• 13th May 2015
  • Couple, 41+

While at the India House, we did enjoy the close proximity to downtown and the French quarter, but we were very unhappy with the level of service from workers and cleanliness we experienced. I also am skeptical of the cleanliness of the pool, as for the first time in my life I gained an eye infection after swimming there.

• 13th May 2015

Great stay. Good atomopher. They have a $80 credit card min so bring cash. Lots of common areas. I would stay again.

It's a heavan for young Travellers - you always fond a cool group, a cold beer and somebody to flirt with!

• 10th May 2015

Nice place with a wonderful layout. Right next to the trolley lines, so its easy to get around. The staff are generally friendly (though--not that it really matters--some can be a bit brusque). I see some of the reviews say its dirty or loud . . .well, yes, it probably could have been a bit cleaner, but as for noise: why stay in a hostel if you can't stand noise? So: highly recommended--especially for the price.

This was my second time staying at India House. I have stayed in the dorms as well as the private suite with private bath and really enjoyed both stays. I don't go to New Orleans for the hotel, I go for the fun and this place is definitely fun! Safety is always big for me wherever I stay and although the house is on a poorly lit street, I would sit outside all night I felt so safe there.

• 9th May 2015

India Hostel is a busy place. Lot of people, lot of room, lot of noise (including air conditioning !)... It's not very clean and there is not a lot of privacy in bathroom. But it's still a nice place !! It's not such a probleme to share the place with others travelers like you. The pool is great after a day strolling in New Orleans. We had also a very good Jamalaya for 5$. Location is great with the streetcar across the street (3$ day pass). It's good value for the price.

The dorm is in a courtyard where there is no silence hour in the night. So you can sleep at 3am and stay people in the courtyard drinking, singing and laughing. Staff just 'not customer-oriented'. This is the minimum bad you can say from them. They claim minimum $80 amount for any credit card payment. An absurd limit never heard before. The true reason? 'Please take cash from my ATM inside that I receive a commission and client extra-extra-charge'. This is how this hotel treat their clients.

I might have enjoyed this hostel if I had been 30 younger.This is definitely a hostel for people younger than 30. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have slept in for some time

This was the best decision I ever made staying in New Orleans. The location is perfect, the people are amazing and the kitchen food that is prepared is so damn good. Stay here because it is cheap badass.

• 6th May 2015

Very dirty place. Bathroom faucet broken. The facility in general are falling apart. Doors are dirty & in need to fresh paint.

• 6th May 2015

We had a private room + private bathroom in the home of the back of the hostel. A chair and table would be appreciated. Sound isolation is very poor (we hear people in the hallway and in the room next to us.

• 5th May 2015