India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

they charge $5 to hire a towel which i think it pretty ridiculous. You can store you're own food but there is hardly any cutlery or bowls to use. my bunk bed was extremely noisy and this bothered me and probably the others staying in the room. There is only 1 bathroom for each floor which could become congested in the mornings. The food cooked at nights was very good and i highly recommend that. I'm sure some thoroughly enjoy the hippie atmosphere but i found the hostel very random and unclean

• 22nd Jan 2015

Price good, Kitchen below average, bring can opener, cups & cutlery if you can. They dont have much stuff for self-cooking. Barely enough to get by. They sell really good cheap meals and its more geared for bought meals I think. Heating and Aircon was all messed up for a bit when i stayed. its not very close to Frenchman street but a taxi there is about $11. I wish it were closer to Frenchmen St, thats the best place to hang out. Bourbon St is just messy. Staff were nice :-)

• 22nd Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Stylish hostel close to Canal St which brings you to DT by streetcar in 10min. Rooms were clean and with high ceilings. Staffs friendliness was average. There's a rather small breakfast for $6 and an inexpensive dinner for $5 being served.

It was great! You get to hang out with people from many countries and definatelly makes the amazing experience of being in new orleans even better, 100% recommended. Just one thing that you need to know... they sell the towells, they don't give you one ;)

• 19th Jan 2015
  • Chile

Nice hostel as you would expect it, though a little raunchy but with style. Quiet neighborhood, 15min by streetcar away from DT NO.

India house continues to get better and better. It is located directly off of the canal street car line making easy to get to almost anywhere in the city. Its facilities have improved in my last several visits and the value is fantastic!

I've stayed here a few times and have always been happy with my choice. The hostel is always super clean, organized and laid back (a difficult combination for many places). It is by far the best option financially in the area and you honestly don't even need to leave the property to have a blast.

• 16th Jan 2015

A If I ever come back to New Orleans, I will definitely stay at this hostel again.

• 15th Jan 2015
  • Ukraine

Cracking place, top marks!! Free coffee, free wifi, affordable breakfast and traditional meals are also available. Great people, nice location, great hostel vibe, all around fantastic experience, wish I stayed longer! Best Hostel!

Very good value for dollar. Generally accommodating staff, bathroom cleaned more than once daily, free coffee was a big plus for me. Easy access to downtown via streetcar. Neighborhood seems a little bleak if you're not expecting it, but didn't actually feel unsafe at all.

• 13th Jan 2015

The staff was very helpful from the start and set the tone for a happy stay. That had a cozy and somewhat festive courtyard in the back for gathering together and having one of the inexpensive breakfast or dinners that they cooked. Each night I was there the dinner had a signature New Orleans theme such as Red Beans & Rice and Dirty Rice, which were right on.

• 12th Jan 2015

Not the best, not the worst. Very basic, bathrooms need a serious overhaul. They charge the same price as everyone else in town but provide less.

• 11th Jan 2015

Absolutely loved our stay here. The staff was friendly, the hostel very clean and only a streetcar ride away from downtown, and the price we paid was excellent. The only issue I had with our stay was the heating situation. I realize that is not normally an issue, but it was particularly cold in New Orleans that week and the heat in our dorm did not work. This made sleeping very difficult for my friend and I, as well as other guests. More blankets and space heaters might be good to have around.

• 10th Jan 2015

Staff seemed pretty informative. Always someone at the front desk. Bathrooms and common spaces cleaned daily. Breakfast & dinner for a few bucks or you can use the kitchen. Right next to Canal St for easy access to the streetcar and downtown. Only big complaint was that it attracted the college party crowd. Lots of drinking and shouting (and vomiting) all night. I got woken up during the night a few times. If that's your speed then maybe this is the place for you, otherwise look elsewhere.

• 9th Jan 2015

It's a good place but it would be great if there was any competition to keep them trying for it!

• 8th Jan 2015

Hostel is great, lots of rooms and spaces and a great lounge area. Has a little cooking area for breakfast and dinner for very cheap which is great. Pool is nice, but didnt go in since it was too cold in January from an arctic blast that left most of the US in frigid temperatures. (-2 C!) It's about a 10-15 min tram ride to the French Quarter, but its only $3.00 for a day pass on the Tram, or $1.25 per ride so totally worth it. I would stay again, I just hope next time they have more heat.

It was very cold in my private 'room'. My 'room' was more like a cabin, right next to a pool with a fountain. But the staff was kind enough to turn off the fountain when I asked for it.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Belgium

This was my second time at the India House and I always love it. There's some kind of really special, great atmosphere there that just makes everyone really sociable and open. It's pretty standard as far as what you get for your money, but they also have a great on-site cook who makes breakfast and dinner (which you have to pay extra for, but is also extra delicious). This time it was surprisingly cold, and we froze a bit in the dorms. Other than that, great stay!

staff was helpful and open minded. They were open to talk and answer local questions. Interior is unique, I stayed in more bedroom dorm, unfortunately the cold and dry AC air was a uncomfortable room climate. I got dry skin and it was cold most of the time. The blankets were super thin for the aspect of winter terms and I saw me and several other people sleeping in cloths because of the cold. Insects in the kitchen, it got cleant after the secound day. No cooking utility. Oil, salt, pepper.

• 3rd Jan 2015

The atmosphere is excellent but the facilities is very old. However, the cleanliness is ok. If you going to evaluate about the benefit cost is good because the price is very good.

• 2nd Jan 2015