India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

You would think that the staff would know the airport bus schedule or at least update the posted schedule...as even though I asked twice...where i could catch it, and would it stop there while reading the dirty worn down schedule, they said yes, yet there was no bus at that time in the morning....thus an exspensive taxi ride:( it's a grest place if you're 18-25 and want to drink at the hostel every night...

The only real complaint I had about this hostel was that, during my week-long stay, my fellow hostel-goers seemed to be more than content to stay in at night rather than go out and explore the city. However, this is not the fault of the hostel itself so I can help but highly recommend this place.

• 17th Nov 2014

This place is absolutely disgusting. I got a private room which was a shack out side in the back patio. The door was a makeshift door with a padlock on the door as a lock. the light (a clip on light) didn't work and there was a bottle of Raid (cockroach spray) next to the bed. There was no heat! The walls were covered with graffiti. Only good thing is it's on canal st. and it's close to a whole foods! P.S. They don't allow their own Louisiana residents to stay there which is discrimination!!

• 15th Nov 2014

The best place to stay. The beds aren't anything worth raving about, But let's be honest... You'll hardly be using them and by the time you do, you won't even notice.

Super low prices. One added plus is that the hostel staff prepares very tasty breakfast and dinner every day. Average dorm rooms, reasonably clean, although not very warm when it gets cold. Wi-Fi was always working. Hostel is located conveniently near the streetcar station which takes you directly to Downtown. You can easily meet people and the hostel suggests some Jazz/Blues events/places every night that are worth of visit. I had a nice stay in the Big Easy and I do recommend this hostel.

I was extremely disappointed in the matteress. It was so thin and worn out that I could feel the springs. It was the worst bed I've ever experienced. I had trouble sleeping. The price for staying there was good but, even at $30/night, it wasn't worth not being able to sleep.

• 9th Nov 2014

Hostel had a good social vibe however facilities were poor. Water did not work in the showers, dirty and not all toilets were funcitiong. There seemed to be confusion about bed allocation meaning some people were left bed less. Better hostels in the area

I would encourage anyone to stay here for the location, atmosphere, and good facilities (especially for long-term travellers - washing facilities, kitchen, common areas are excellent). However, the staff are quite rude, probably because they're overworked and have an archaic booking system, and will make you feel like you're asking for one of their kidneys, when you just have a simple question or want to check in or out. Don't let that deter you though, it's a lot of fun staying here.

Thia place is highly recommended.. i loved it!

• 8th Nov 2014
  • Indonesia

This being my first hostel experience I found it to be wonderful. I enjoyed the common areas, this is how I met most travelers. The hostel has a very unique look about it. The murals and arrangement alone makes adventurous persons feel home. I enjoyed the give one take one book section, who thought id be reading on vacation. It wouldn't hurt to have heavier blankets. The one I got was very light, so if you plan to stay you may want to bring one along. All in all I enjoyed it

• 7th Nov 2014

We loved it! After travelling through we decided to come back and stay here. Great atmosphere, very easy to get to bourbon street and around town by using the trams. We stayed in a private dorm. Basic, good sized rooms, clean and all you need. Would definitely stay here again!

• 7th Nov 2014

I'd never stay anywhere else! Staff was Accommodating for me because I'm in a wheelchair. I was able to get around easily. Short walk to the Canal street cable car. They serve bfast

• 7th Nov 2014

Very nice hostel with a wonderfully warm atmosphere. We had a room which was in a house next to the main building, with it's own entrance. Feeling like going home! We had a car and parking is easy in the street. I would definitely stay there again for a next trip to NOLA.

• 7th Nov 2014

The place was charming, offered everything you might need from food to advice to internet, was in a good location, and had very low cost so great value. The negative points were that the bathrooms were not very clean or functional and we never had hot water. Also our beds were very uncomfortable, particularly the top bunk which allows one to feel every metal slat supporting the thin mattress. Our private room wasn't heated and we were pretty cold.

• 7th Nov 2014

This place had a very cool, backpacker feel to it. Not as clean or security conscious as some more boutique-type hostels I've stayed at in Europe, but this is definitely a good option for young people who don't want to spend too much money on a hotel in New Orleans). Great breakfast for $5 made to order. Lots of space to hang out both indoors and outdoors. A good place to meet people. About 10 min/$10 cab ride or 25 min (

Overall, I enjoyed the stay and would recommend it to others based on the atmosphere and good value for money. The kitchen was kept clean, however the same was not true for the showers and bathrooms. The toilets were repeatedly blocked though the problem was generally resolved in a few hours or so. The dorm was very cold at night!

• 6th Nov 2014

Really enjoyed my stay here. Plenty of friendly people and a good environment.

• 6th Nov 2014

Really enjoyed my stay!

• 3rd Nov 2014

Great place and great atmosphere to hang out and meet new people, quaint and organized. Conveniently located a few steps from the bus stop.

I was surprised that towels need to be purchased, and yet, what the heck. I REALLY, REALLY appreciated that you have a short order-specialty cook that makes wonderful breakfasts/brunch. That is the best, ever. The layout was fantastic. I also appreciated the ease of using the Canal streetcar line, just across the street that goes to the French quarter. I would stay again.

• 31st Oct 2014