India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The staff is FANTASTIC... in fact, I am planning my next vacation to make sure to include more time to sit and enjoy the ambiance, catch up on some down-time, reading and visiting with the other guests, Which added volumes to my enjoyment of the India House. Keep up the awesome hospitality !! T Brown

• 13th Apr 2014

Listen to the advice: do not keep food in the room. In the words of the great Marley... one roach, one mouse, lets get together in India House! Apart from this, great atmosphere for a great city.

• 12th Apr 2014

Really nice experience. My only complaint is that it wasn't made clear that you had to pay in cash if your stay was less than $80. Mine was over that until I paid the deposit, and then I was forced to get cash out at the ATM. I had credit card points for travel that I was planning on using, so this was a disappointment. Otherwise a great place in a great city.

• 11th Apr 2014

Wonderful place! Great staff and atmosphere. Breakfast and dinner served at great prices. Wish doors and locks on Voodoo and Bayou rooms were more sturdy/reliable. Will be back again soon!

• 11th Apr 2014

We had an awesome time. The people who were staying at the hostel were of all nationalities, ages and types but had in common respect of one and other and the facility. The atmosphere was chill and set up so that we instantly mixed with the other people staying there and felt at home and part of a family of cool-ass people right away. We plan to return. Thank you to the India House for a wonderful place to stay in a wonderful city. P.S. I don't usually do reviews but wanted to tell you.

• 10th Apr 2014

Very fun and respectful place to stay. Lots of travelers from all over. Definitely enriched my NOLA experience.

• 10th Apr 2014

If someone lives outside the area, they should be allowed to stay. When I started staying at IH, I lived in Oregon. Now that I've moved to inside of LA, they say I can't stay any more, even though I live 3.5 hours away. Movie shoots and other events bring me to NOLA, for work. I should be allowed to stay and would appreciate a response.

• 9th Apr 2014

Great value for you $$$!! One of the best around the city, well certainly so close to the Quarter and the Cemeteries! Great location with super easy access to the trolleys. They have a morning breakfast with a great menu and prices couldn't be cheaper! $6 get you breakfast for myself and my girlfriend!! They also do dinners and have live music in the back which adds to the experience, makes it one of a kind in NOLA. If you do find something you don't like it'll probably the other guest, typical.

• 8th Apr 2014

Awesome environment! Worth staying! Relativelly close to city center, you can take the street car that is right outside the hostel and be there in 15 min. Recomend to everyone!

Quite far out but less than 30 seconds walk from the streetcar, the longest wait I had for one towards Bourbon Street was about 2 minutes! Fantastic vibe at India House, plenty of common space for socialising, and plenty of storage for food. Rooms have lockers (though you need your own padlock) and don't feel cramped. Staff very friendly, offering cheap breakfast every morning and numerous tours are advertised at the front desk. Would highly recommend for a few nights on a budget in NOLA

An amazing place with awesome staff. Easy place to meet new people to hang out with. Had a very welcoming environment, with a nice homely feel to it. I would highly reccomend for my friends to stay there.

• 4th Apr 2014

Super helpful and welcoming staff! Yummy breakfast! Chill, laid back atmosphere Very accomodating

Bohemian vibe with a slightly overgrown and disheveled quality....which means it fits in perfectly with New Orleans. Friendly and helpful staff, a great kitchen and common area (probably the best I've seen in US hostels), that important greasy breakfast until 1pm, and a collage of characters to boot. Right on the Canal St. streetcar line too, which aids travel within the city immensely. Highly recommended!

It was adequate. Nothing more.

• 2nd Apr 2014

Awesome hostel! Really good dinners for $5 a plate which was awesome and the staff were really friendly. We stayed in a private room which was a decent size and basically had room for 3 people. Easy to get to the French Quater as well. Would definitely stay again :)

• 1st Apr 2014

I loved the hostel! It was a great vibe and the people there were very friendly. It was a comfortable stay and the location was amazing.

A bit of a party hostel, which is awesome if that's what you're looking for. Falling apart a bit but that's a bonus in my opinion. Staff are very nice. Neighbourhood's a bit sketchy but hey it's Nola.

• 1st Apr 2014

India House was a really cool spot. I love that they do affordable made to order breakfast and dinner. The staff was overall very friendly and helpful. The private room was not pretty but it was clean and warm. The only downside is the location, it's about two miles from the action. Having said that, there's a streetcar stop right outside the hostel.

The people and the atmosphere were just great, it is a very good hostel and it makes much fun staying there. I definilety recommend it to everybody!

I stayed two nights and had an amazing experience. I met people the first night out at the gazebo in the back and had a great time chatting it up and drinking some beers. I didn't go out either night, but although it's not right next tithe French quarter, it is right next to the street car so you can get there easy. There was a great vibe at this place and I would love to go back again soon just to meet new people and hang out!

• 30th Mar 2014