India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Great atmosphere, friendly staff. Big rooms were a little too cold.

Good affordable accommodation during Mardi Gras, and one parade practically passed right outside the front door! Breakfast wasn't included, but they have a cook there where you can buy food from really cheap all day. The walk between the hostel and the French Quarter, is kind of dodgy, so I'd recommend catching public transport or getting an Uber. The staff are super friendly and give you a tour when arriving. India House has a great atmosphere and feels like a home away from home.

Met a lot of interesting people.

• 6th Feb 2016
  • India

Best time ever in the hostel! None of my stuff got stolen, and I was very irresponsible with my stuff. Only problem, the pool was not very warm...

• 6th Feb 2016

Very good stay, staff were helpful and the hostel was very good value for money

Very pleased with the cleanliness and safety of this hostel. We paid a fraction of what other college students paid for Mardi Gras lodging and were able to street park without issues. I would stay here again if I returned to New Orleans.

• 4th Feb 2016

That was the first time I stayed at a hostel, and I loved it! Definitely a good start and good first impression. Friendly staff, people from all over the world, great food, awesome atmosphere. If I had a chance to travel to NOLA again, I'd stay in India House Hostel again for sure.

Location is excellent! You can grab the street car right outside the door and get pretty much everywhere in the city. Atmosphere is laid back and the staff are very helpful/friendly. Only issue for me were the dorm rooms have a little wear and tear (more so then I was expecting). The rooms could use with some cleaning and painting but its nothing that a avid traveler can't handle. Overall for the price its an excellent choice.

• 31st Jan 2016

I had an amazing stay at India House. I've stayed at other hostels in the states, but this has been the best so far. It's like the atmosphere is different and everybody seemed to feel good. The staff was very welcoming and helpful and all wonderful people. I hope I get to go back to New Orleans one day and then I will definitely stay here!

Nice hostel, accessible in spite of the slowliness of the street car. The staff is helpful. The only negative point though is that the computer that backpackers can use is very slow and thus not very convenient to use when you only have 15minutes.

So for the price the location was good.but it really clean .not bathrooms for everyone. Old house everything was dusty and not really clean. The bathrooms need to be updated ! They are working on it though. It was okay for a hostel,but compared to other ones I stayed in it so good. Last night I was there,there was a on the porch.they also do not that there is a cat running around everywhere .

• 30th Jan 2016

This place was great! Great atmosphere, and thestaff is very nice and welcoming.

• 29th Jan 2016

The hostel did not seem very secure, looked as if anyone could access it even though they were not staying in there.

• 28th Jan 2016
  • Costa Rica

Awesome place to stay for the price! We had a private room with bathroom and it was tidy and quant. Plus we had access to all kitchen amenities and fresh coffee 24 hours a day! Right next to the trolley for easy transport to the quarter.

• 28th Jan 2016

From foggy and rainy Vancouver, Canada; I give thanks and appreciation for the staff at India House and for aiding me in having a wonderful time in N'Awlins! Monica

• 27th Jan 2016

Loved my short stay at the India House, felt very welcome and added to my New Orleans experience.

• 27th Jan 2016

Our stay was fantastic.

• 25th Jan 2016

The hostel is well located near the tramway but it is a bit old and the heater in our dorm didn't work... we were freezing (the blankets provided are super thin, luckily we had our sleeping bags). Bathrooms are okay... on our booking it was written "all tax included" but we had to pay extra tax.. why??? No idea.. so it is expensive for what it is! Atmosphere is "roots" and is not what we are looking for. For 2 nights is was okay.

There's a great relaxed atmosphere here which is very warming and welcoming. The cooked breakfast (which you have to pay for, but is definitely worth it) is very good and is the best I've ever had at a hostel. Staff are really friendly and helpful with anything you need. Would recommend to anyone and would certainly come back to this place. Downtown is a half hour walk or just a 5 minute taxi or tram.

The staff really made this hostel a 10/10 experience!

• 22nd Jan 2016