India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

India House Hostel is a very special place. I felt totally at home, and met quite a few really fantastic people. The staff is helpful and friendly, and the facilities are absolutely awesome -- huge value for your money. I stayed in a private/ensuite room, so I can't speak for the shared dorms, but all the guests staying there seemed happy and satisfied!

• 20th Feb 2015

This hostel is an amazing place to stay at in New Orleans; the location is great, the guests are friendly, there is a little pool, and the outside area is nice to hang out and have a drink; they also serve very good and cheap food.

• 19th Feb 2015

Coldest night I've spent in a hostel. Can't speak for all the room but the 12 bed mixed dorm I think it was called "praise" was freezing with only one working small portable heater and no extra blankets available,although the staff were pretty friendly the running of the hostel seemed quite unorganised with from what I could see there was just one staff member per shift resulting in lots of waiting around to check in/out. Interesting hostel that has a old community feel but wouldn't stay again

Great hostel with a great atmosphere. The place is a little run down and not that clean, but if that's not too important to you and you want to be in a place where you can have a good time and meet people then India house is great. Will definitely come back

• 19th Feb 2015

Staff always seemed to be in a bad mood and there was always a line at the front desk. They overbooked our dorm so someone moved my stuff off my bed and took my tooth brush. Can't complain too much for the price but it's still bad that they only accept cash under $80

Would recommend to all travelers. They have breakfast and dinner for reasonable prices and the staff are all very friendly.

8 bed dorm? Try 20. Hot water? Towels? No way. Your neighbors, due to their sheer quantity, will tend to stand out for their quirkiness, like accusing you of theft and walking around without any pants or underwear on. Did I mention the smell? There's a smell. Once I had a plaster cast for a broken foot for almost three weeks. This place smelled worse than my foot after cutting that cast off.

• 18th Feb 2015

Great value for money. Comfortable beds. Location is a 15 minute streetcar ride from downtown. Streetcar stop is 2 mins. from the hostel. Make sure to bring your towel or be charged $5 /towel. Credit cards not accepted if your bill is less than 80 dollars. I stayed in the male dorm; shelf space & locker availability was very limited. Toilets don't have soap, so carry your own. You can cook your own food or buy meals made on-site. Ensure that the key deposit amt ($5) is noted on the yellow card

My fiance and I were very satisfied with our stay at India House. We were only there for one night. The room was clean, we were surprised and pleased that you offer meals at the hostel. The location was great. Our only complaint was that the room was cold- very cold- in the middle of the night. The radiator really wasn't enough to warm the space. (We were in Lagniappe).

• 16th Feb 2015

Everything was fine but it is wrong and rude that you have a prominent sign at your desk that says "now hiring irish need not apply" I was traveling with an Irishman and we found this rude. If you dug up an old "no coloreds" sign, would you put it in front of the building because you thought it was funny? Maybe "whites only"?

• 15th Feb 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at the India House. The staff was excellent; they were able to keep everything running extremely smoothly during the chaotic mardi gras holiday, while still providing a relaxing, comforting atmosphere for myself and the other guests to revel in. I was quite impressed with the number and condition of the facilities made available to the guests; a shower, sink, toilet, refrigerator, etc. was never unavailable or unpleasant to use.

• 13th Feb 2015

Great location for Mardi Gras, only 20-30 minute walk to the centre and the Endymion parade went right passed the hostel! The staff were really friendly and helpful however the room (twin bed room) had sheets that were dirty and too thin. We were shivering all night. The main issue was lack of noise insulation. You can hear everything in other peoples rooms. Great if you want an all night party but not if you want to sleep!

• 13th Feb 2015

Great private rooms, especially for the price and during Mardi Gras. Location good for midtown Mardi Gras parades. Front desk girls were exceptional. Thank-you.

better than a hotel that was triple the price!

• 12th Feb 2015

India house is a beautiful place.

• 11th Feb 2015

This is a great hostel. I've stayed here before and am glad to have returned. It's in a fantastic location, easy to get to and from the action, and has a fun environment!

Awesome place to stay. The patio commons area is perfect for meeting people. And there's a pool! It's a 30 second walk from the Canal Streetcar that drops you right on Bourbon street. Beat hostel in NOLA.

• 9th Feb 2015

The vibe of the hostel is really cool and it's easy to meet people because of the setup. The pool is a nice feature and the breakfast, though not free, is cheap and delicious. Staff are helpful without being super friendly. The rooms are a bit shoddy - old, cold and sort of crumbling... but they did give space heaters and extra blankets on request. All in all a decent hostel and a good place to meet folk.

Awesome hostel!!

It was good stuff; everyone was very nice and welcoming. Cool ambiance, clean for a hostel, I really enjoyed it. It's right next to the trolley car stop so very convenient to get into town. Rudy at the front desk gave us some great recommendations, and breakfast, despite having one cook for over 20 travelers, never took too long and was delicious.The weather was great, which is obviously out of their control, but still added to the positive experience we had staying at India House. =)

• 5th Feb 2015