India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

I arrived a day late due tp journey delays and was pleased to find the hostel took a night's board off my bill with no fuss. The staff were friendly, welcoming and attentive and the atmosphere was vibrant and positive. The centre of town is easily accessible - just hop on a streetcar ($3 per day) and you can get anywhere.

• 24th Aug 2014

This hostel is great. It's really quirky and has a great atmosphere. Great value too. Would thoroughly recommend.

• 21st Aug 2014

Very homely stay here in big southern style house, swimming pool was a great addition to cool off after a day of sightseeing in the heat. Staff friendly and helpful, cool mix of guests. Hostel does delicious dinners for $5 a plate which is great, also cooked breakfasts for a fee. Most rooms air conditioned which is what you need down south - very hot! Real good vibe around the place in the evenings when everyone hits Bourbon Street. Really enjoyed staying here! 2 min walk from tram for downtown.

Good hostel with great access to the street cars. My only criticism would be the room I was in only had six lockers for 12 people which is just not good enough. There was plenty of room for more lockers. Also the lockers are very small and cannot fit a medium sized bag inside so you then have to take valuable outs and inside the locker. Also some of the staff are quite friendly while others are somewhat grumpy and don't look like they want to work there. Definitely need to change their mindsets.

• 17th Aug 2014

The room was like a fridge due to aircondition not regulatable individually... We slept with scarfs, sweaters and socks - outside temperature: 30 celsius!

• 16th Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

Loved it here, staff weren't very engaging though, and our room wasn't cleaned the whole time we were there. Pools fantastic though!!

I met the most amazing people here

• 13th Aug 2014

We had an AMAZING experience and I will never stay anywhere else when I go to New Orleans.

• 13th Aug 2014

The staff was amazing! Ask for max he's fantastic. And the environment was exuberant! I didn't wanna leave and plan on being back soon!! Ugh this place was the highlight of my vacation!

• 13th Aug 2014

This hostel has the BEST vibe to it! Great common room, good location! If you can get over the bugs that are around, you will have an amazing time here!

First of all, for such a big house, it's unbelievable that they have so few bathrooms. Secondly, the light in the room we stayed in was not working so at night we had to use our cellphones as flashlights. When I told the front desk, they already knew about the problem and were supposed to be fixing it soon. Also if your charge is under $80, you have to pay in cash. The food they serve looks pretty good and the breakfast is a great price. Just wish they had better facilities

Everything there is so old and dirty. In the room has old books, lamp, stuff. The air conditioner in the room doesn't work . it was hot all the time. The bathroom upstart is disgusting. The owner can be so much better just doing a reform and cleaning better

Such an amazing place to stay in New Orleans! The atmosphere is great and the place is so chilled out. The swimming pool is such a good idea. Best hostel I've been to

I stayed in the 12 person co-ed room, first floor, in the second house. This room was grimy, and the bathrooms weren't cleaned during my stay. It looked like the floors and curtains just hadn't been given any attention in years. Without explanation, there appeared to be a much older (mid to late 40s) American male living in a room just off of the dorm room, in what we all thought was a closet. Since this hostel requires student ID or foreign residency, I thought this was especially odd.

• 8th Aug 2014

Can't say enough great things about India House. I've stayed at Hostels all over. By far India House is the best. The people, vibe and atmosphere are msgical. Been here twice and can't wait to return.

• 7th Aug 2014

It was the worst hostel I've ever seen! The guy who worked there looked like he took some pills. So the atmosphere in the whole house was creepy. The rooms were so dirty and I guess it was months ago that someone cleaned up in the room. There were HUGE cockroaches in the bathroom! One of them flew directly on my arm, so I decided at the first night NOT to stay here any longer. I had to search for a hotel at 2:30 in the morning. So if you want to have a homeless experience please go there!

The price you pay is the value that you get. The area out back was pretty cool - the pool, tables to sit, fridges for both food and beer, etc. the a.c. Barely worked in my dorm room of the main house, which is pretty necessary in Nola's humidity and heat. It's not my first choice of hostels in the area, but it's a pretty good location and a social scene.

It's a good place, relatively large rooms, there is a pool. They also cook food, so you can buy something for breakfast or dinner. Nice common areas, in general it is a good hostel to socialize. However the staff couldn't be more uninterested. The staff would help you with directions or break a twenty for a street car(which you'll need to take every day to get to the city, 3$ day pass) however they didn't seem friendly. I'm not particularly sure they liked what they were doing.

My friend and I stayed in a private room. It had old furnishings and bedding but everything was extremely clean. The sheets smelled like bleach and the mattress was nice. The AC worked great considering the super hot temperatures. The bathrooms were totally functional and I never had to wait to take a shower or use the toilet. There were cleaning ladies there every day of my stay. The kitchen was great, too. Staff was helpful. Cool people and great vibes. Loved my stay-especially for the price!

• 5th Aug 2014

Great place to stay, right next to the Streetcar stop. Clean pool and helpful staff.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7