India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

This place was an absolute charm! The atmosphere was unigue and artsy. This was way better than staying in a hotel. Even though there was a lot going on outside at night, falling asleep wasn't an issue.

• 17th Oct 2015

My bed was like it was a used bed from a prison, a prison from the turn of the century! Worst bed in my whole life!

• 16th Oct 2015

Everything was great. Cheap, easy access to trolley, excellent WiFi, warm showers, decent toilet paper Only dings are non computerized booking system and substandard lobby for leaving luggage.

• 16th Oct 2015

Great place to stay but is a bit run-down; that said the area is kept pretty clean by the cleaning staff. The hostel itself is a collection of buildings in the same area. Looks like they were flooded during Hurricane Katrina and have since been fixed up into hostel rooms. The social areas are very good; hanging around outside near the pool or inside watching TV. Bathroom facilities let the hostel down though as most are botchjobs jammed in. There are lockers supplied but some aren't in the rooms

When in New Orleans....I prefer to stay at the India House.....

• 15th Oct 2015

Itcwas close to the Garden District and walking distance to cafes and Uptown area.

This place was awesome! I wish we could of stayed for longer but the time we did spend there was a blast! I loved the vibes and all the different people there really made it feel like a unique place in the world.

• 15th Oct 2015
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I loved India House! I had a wonderful week there for my vacation and it was everything i expected it to be and wanted it to be! The staff was friendly and the people I met there I'll never forget! It was amazing and I'll be back in February😊

Super cool building, pool area is fantastic on a hot day and they even had live music on a Tuesday! Absolutely nothing is free so make sure you have hella cash if you want to eat or shower. There is a Whole Foods walking distance and also a Walgreens so definitely buy food to cook! Perhaps some paper plates and stuff too :)

A really amazing hostel, great common areas, fantastic facilities and breakfast, great location and overall a bizarre and unique place to stay. Would definitely recommend, and will definitely be coming back.

Don't leave anything in the fridge or common spaces if you actually want to keep them. We had almost all of our food and beverages stolen. Besides that, it's right by a trolley stop, which is great, and about a 20 min ride to bourbon/french quarter. The bathrooms were surprisingly clean and the breakfast/dinner was great and cheap!

• 12th Oct 2015

Social atmosphere was excellent, I met alot of awesome people there and the staff was really friendly. The only food was good, it was cheap, and very comfortable. The only thing I had a problem with was that they had to switch me to a different room to accommodate another large party which kind of blowed. The place was clean but I can't tell of I got bitten by mosquitos or bed bugs...I'm going to say mosquitos because it's Louisiana.

This is one of my favorite hostels I have stayed in. The vibe is awesome and it's like a mini hostel city. Met some of the greatest people here. The trolley runs right by the hostel and getting around is easy. Of course the cat is always chilling and hanging out. There is a lot of room to hangout and meet people.

• 12th Oct 2015

Very cool backpackers hostel with awesome vibes and a real New Orleans feel. Will definitely be recommending this to friends in the future. The only downside was the staff could be a bit more knowledgeable about the city. Other than that it's awesome!

• 11th Oct 2015

Great hostel: staff, food, common areas, and, mainly, the atmosphere. For sure it's in the top 3 of the ones that I went to.

• 10th Oct 2015

It was amazing.

• New Zealand

The food at the hostel was the best food in New Orleans. I was so impressed! The courtyard area is absolutely beautiful. The hostel has a gungy theme, but is very clean. The staff was the most friendly staff of any hostel I've stayed at.

• 9th Oct 2015

Great place to meet people and have fun

• All Male Group, 25-30

It was loud and LOTS of drinking. Granted, that's what you should expect traveling into New Orleans. Didn't feel completely comfortable with the other residents there -- especially the drunk guys. I didn't feel necessarily safe in the environment. That didn't make me feel safe .wouldn't recommend it. Breakfast isn't as great as the reviews made it seem. The cat is heartless and loves no one.

The hostel was really funky, but in a nice way. The streetc ar was one minute walk, which was great. The staff was nice and helpful. There was only one bathroom on each floor, which wasn't great, but it was fine for one night.