India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Very good value for dollar. Generally accommodating staff, bathroom cleaned more than once daily, free coffee was a big plus for me. Easy access to downtown via streetcar. Neighborhood seems a little bleak if you're not expecting it, but didn't actually feel unsafe at all.

• 13th Jan 2015

The staff was very helpful from the start and set the tone for a happy stay. That had a cozy and somewhat festive courtyard in the back for gathering together and having one of the inexpensive breakfast or dinners that they cooked. Each night I was there the dinner had a signature New Orleans theme such as Red Beans & Rice and Dirty Rice, which were right on.

• 12th Jan 2015

Not the best, not the worst. Very basic, bathrooms need a serious overhaul. They charge the same price as everyone else in town but provide less.

• 11th Jan 2015

Absolutely loved our stay here. The staff was friendly, the hostel very clean and only a streetcar ride away from downtown, and the price we paid was excellent. The only issue I had with our stay was the heating situation. I realize that is not normally an issue, but it was particularly cold in New Orleans that week and the heat in our dorm did not work. This made sleeping very difficult for my friend and I, as well as other guests. More blankets and space heaters might be good to have around.

• 10th Jan 2015

Staff seemed pretty informative. Always someone at the front desk. Bathrooms and common spaces cleaned daily. Breakfast & dinner for a few bucks or you can use the kitchen. Right next to Canal St for easy access to the streetcar and downtown. Only big complaint was that it attracted the college party crowd. Lots of drinking and shouting (and vomiting) all night. I got woken up during the night a few times. If that's your speed then maybe this is the place for you, otherwise look elsewhere.

• 9th Jan 2015

It's a good place but it would be great if there was any competition to keep them trying for it!

• 8th Jan 2015

Hostel is great, lots of rooms and spaces and a great lounge area. Has a little cooking area for breakfast and dinner for very cheap which is great. Pool is nice, but didnt go in since it was too cold in January from an arctic blast that left most of the US in frigid temperatures. (-2 C!) It's about a 10-15 min tram ride to the French Quarter, but its only $3.00 for a day pass on the Tram, or $1.25 per ride so totally worth it. I would stay again, I just hope next time they have more heat.

Movement and noise in a hostel, nothing more normal. But then, it was really crazy. In a room next to ours, endless stream all night, with lots of people from the outside: everybody was screaming in the hallway. Alcohol and cigarettes. Big, big nuisance. The staff acted on our request, but softly. For the rest, staff mood's uneven and not really smiling. And then a big hole in the wall of the room,

• 7th Jan 2015

It was very cold in my private 'room'. My 'room' was more like a cabin, right next to a pool with a fountain. But the staff was kind enough to turn off the fountain when I asked for it.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Belgium

This was my second time at the India House and I always love it. There's some kind of really special, great atmosphere there that just makes everyone really sociable and open. It's pretty standard as far as what you get for your money, but they also have a great on-site cook who makes breakfast and dinner (which you have to pay extra for, but is also extra delicious). This time it was surprisingly cold, and we froze a bit in the dorms. Other than that, great stay!

staff was helpful and open minded. They were open to talk and answer local questions. Interior is unique, I stayed in more bedroom dorm, unfortunately the cold and dry AC air was a uncomfortable room climate. I got dry skin and it was cold most of the time. The blankets were super thin for the aspect of winter terms and I saw me and several other people sleeping in cloths because of the cold. Insects in the kitchen, it got cleant after the secound day. No cooking utility. Oil, salt, pepper.

• 3rd Jan 2015

Great vibe! Loved the communal areas, and the barbecued breakfast was the best way to start the day. Super close to the tram which was handy as - the best way to get in and out of the city. Staff were very helpful with any and all of our questions.

The atmosphere is excellent but the facilities is very old. However, the cleanliness is ok. If you going to evaluate about the benefit cost is good because the price is very good.

• 2nd Jan 2015

When we first arrived, the room was smelling very bad and there was no lights working. The bathroom was shared and had no lock. Moreover, the showers were separated by a transparent plastic. On top of all that, we almost got stuck outside of the building, because the keys didn't work properly.

Awesome place, great location, big enough to meet a bunch of people and explore the city together. The in-house food option is a big plus, cheap local food option - great !

Great place for its value. Nightly local cheap dinner option is a great plus!

This is a wonderful place for backpackers. The atmosphere is exciting. I got to stay 3 days at this place and no other place gave me such a joyful stay. The kitchen is well maintained and they also serve breakfast, lunch and dinner at a cheap price. I had no issues with the management. They were very friendly. This is undoubtedly the No. 1 hostel in NOLA.

This hostel has so much soul and identity, we loved it so much. It's uniqued is the most positive way. We loved hanging out there, the room was great and the staff - amazing!

Stayed here for four nights and really had a great time. There is 24 hour staff to help out. The location is right next to the Canal Street Streetcar line so it is easy to get to. There is a little place on site to buy food (mine was tasty) and we met a lot of great people. If you are not used to hostels you might be turned off by the cleanliness of the place. The ceiling was leaking in the bathroom and the walls are covered in graffiti and are somewhat dirty. Bed comfy and sheets clean.

• 26th Dec 2014

The staff and several other travellers were very nice, friendly & communicative, and most importantly experienced travellers and interesting people to meet and talk to. It's mostly these people, and the authenticity of the houses that composte the hostel, that are in my opinion/experience the good reason to choose India backpacker for lodging in the New Orleans. The travellers should be aware that also many 'no-backackers' such as 'cellphone/FB addicts' :( chose this hostel from some reasons.

• 25th Dec 2014