India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

The hostel is a few blocks away from a bad part of town. Thankfully the street car is literally a few feet away from the hostel so you do not need to walk past the bad parts. It was a shock though arriving late at night and hearing my shuttle driver tell me to avoid walking to the next block. The staff is great and very knowledge about the area. They even hosted a a free crawfish boil when I was there that was a lot of fun. Very friendly atmosphere with international travelers. I would go back.

• 2nd May 2014

You'all rock!!!!

• 30th Apr 2014

Had an amazing stay at India House, met some great people and the breakky was incredible! Definitely staying there again when I'm back in New Orleans.

Cool hostel , you meet travelers from around the world.

Very fun place to stay! Lots of areas to socialize and yet my sleeping place was nice and far away from that. I will say that the girl on staff was originally not so friendly about the "cash only" rule, sassing to us that "it's ALL OVER the Web site," though myself and the girl in front of me were unaware. However, she earned points back by calling the manager and allowing the girl to pay on her card. Otherwise, staff was lovely, rooms seemed clean, LOVED the big blanket.

We were greeted by a friendly girl who showed us around the place and made us feel at home. It is a very laid back hostel with mostly young, open-minded travellers. Very easy to meet people from all over the world there. We loved that it had a pool so we could go for a dip in the morning. They also serve meals which was very handy if you needed a quick, cheap ($5) bite. Very chill atmosphere. Definitely worth the money!

• 29th Apr 2014

Great hostel in New Orlenas. 20 minute walk to french quarter, but very close to public transportation. Very close also to Jazz Fest. I loved my room - West Wing, very big, 3 showers in it! Awesome facilities. Only small "complaint" is that they don't sell alcohol at the hostel.

VERY Awesome!! Thank you!!

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Poland

I can only speak for the "private rooms" that are located outside the main house. Small changes like a mirror in the bathroom and shelves/hooks/chairs in the main room would have gone a long way. I didn't like having to keep all my things on the floor, especially after discovering the giant roaches i shared my room with. Also, the linens were terrible quality--rough and stained. I know its a hostel, and not fancy, but small improvements would have made a big difference.

• 24th Apr 2014

I have stayed at India House a half dozen times. The staff are always super helpful. You cannot beat this place for the location, the price and the fact that they make you feel welcome. They really don't advertise, but they make outstanding meals for really cheap. I would highly recommend this Hostel. As my niece says, she will never stay anywhere else in New Orleans!

• 23rd Apr 2014

This hostel was cool as hell. Awesome atmosphere and good people, for the most part. But not the place to go if you want a good night's sleep. Or, sleep at all. I've hosteled all over Europe and this place had, hands down, the worst beds I've ever experienced. No A/C in the dorms, either. Definitely a cool spot to meet people, but be prepared for a rough night if you're trying to catch some Z's.

First appearances not good, but what an awesome life decision to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 22nd Apr 2014
  • South Africa

Good hostel! They have very cheap breakfasts on site until 1pm, a big outdoors area with a pool. Although its not located in a very happening area, you can get to the city centre within 10 min on the streetcar located right next to the hostel. Wifi is good and we could catch it from our room, air con, privates have a double and a single bed (bunk). Nothing really bad to say about this place and would definitely recommend it

Great location close to the street cars. Rooms are very basic with very hard mattresses. Staff are very unwelcoming and look like they would rather be somewhere else.

Clean beds and bathrooms, nice quiet sleeping areas and fantastic common areas - great for meeting and hanging out with other travellers. Awesome wall art and an affordable cooked breakfast. Convenient transport to downtown with the trolley pretty much door-to-door.

This place is awesome, I can't think of one bad thing. One of my favourite places, bar none.

• 18th Apr 2014

The India has to be one of the most expansive hostels I have ever been to. The maze of dorms, kitchens, social rooms turned this place into a very unique destination to stay while in NOLA. Their cheap breakfast gives ample reason to get up, hang out, and then check out the city. The beds are horrible, but otherwise great spot.

Loved this place. Best hostel I've been to in the U.S.

• 14th Apr 2014

Really loved it here. Cool hostel, very much like others of its kind in Europe. They also offer breakfast and dinner, which was cool. The pool wasn't open during my stay but that's definitely a perk. Thanks! Can't wait to go back.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. The staff is FANTASTIC... in fact, I am planning my next vacation to make sure to include more time to sit and enjoy the ambiance, catch up on some down-time, reading and visiting with the other guests, Which added volumes to my enjoyment of the India House. Keep up the awesome hospitality !! T Brown

• 13th Apr 2014