India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

I might have enjoyed this hostel if I had been 30 younger.This is definitely a hostel for people younger than 30. The bed was the most uncomfortable bed I have slept in for some time

This was the best decision I ever made staying in New Orleans. The location is perfect, the people are amazing and the kitchen food that is prepared is so damn good. Stay here because it is cheap badass.

• 6th May 2015

Very dirty place. Bathroom faucet broken. The facility in general are falling apart. Doors are dirty & in need to fresh paint.

• 6th May 2015

We had a private room + private bathroom in the home of the back of the hostel. A chair and table would be appreciated. Sound isolation is very poor (we hear people in the hallway and in the room next to us.

• 5th May 2015

A lively hostel located just 10 mins away from Bourbon Street on the streetcar. The pool is great and the food they serve at breakfast is okay. Decent chill out room with a big TV. However, the staff were very miserable and always made me feel like they were doing me a favour (with the exception of Grace who was a great laugh). Also, it's not the cleanest hostel I've stayed in but it's liveable.

Extremely crowded living space. Filthy conditions. Location is isolated. Can do much better in this city.

The place was very dirty. Staff members unexperienced and/or not willing to help.

Gigantic cockroaches running across the floor in both bedrooms and kitchen, and uncaring staff who were quite rude when asking for help (with the exception of one Kiwi girl, who was lovely). If you can deal with the infestations great place to stay for meeting others, but never again for us. Better hostels available elsewhere!

• 2nd May 2015
  • New Zealand

It was okay; very minimal. Stayed in a private double room ensuite which was a bunk bed with a larger bed on the bottom. Would have preferred a normal double bed for a couple for $100/night. Towels are not included even in the ensuite and you can't rent them, you have to pay $5 each which we thought was quite high. They could've done more for that price which is more hotel-price. But good location, especially for JazzFest the price was reasonable. Not super clean, but not dirty either.

All dorms were booked on Hostelworld so I had to book into a private room. When I got there the guy at the reception told me that there was dorms available and changed it for me. But he said that I couldn't use my $ 11 deposit that I already paid for it? So I kinda lost out on that money. Other than that the hostel is pretty average. I had to wait half an hour to check out and the hostel is not the cleanest you' ll ever see.

Great staff, great location, cool people, cheap breakfast til 1 and free coffee.....I'll be back

• 1st May 2015

great hostel for jazz festival - only a 15 minute walk from the festival. loved the pool! awesome breakfasts and dinners can be ordered for a cheap price - definately worth it!

India House feels like my New Orleans home now. I love it's relaxed and easy atmosphere, artistic personality, and the great diversity of people who pass through there every day. It's easy access to the streetcar and to Canal St. makes it easy to get to wherever you want to go. No hassles!

• 30th Apr 2015

Staying at the India House is an incredible way to see one of the most fun cities in the US, especially if you don't know anyone in New Orleans. You will easily meet fun, friendly, interesting people here. You can hang at the hostel for awhile, then grab a crew, hop on the streetcar that stops less than a block away, and party downtown. The India House will quickly become your home away from home in NOLA, which is a valuable thing to have when traveling in an unfamiliar city.

• 30th Apr 2015

India house rocks.. Great community pool out back, they cook hot meals for the guests.. There's a stage out back.. Just book it, it's a great party!!

• 29th Apr 2015

What an awesome place! Basically everything you need is right here! It's easy to get to the busier parts of the city on the streetcars, but the hostel itself is in a quiet neighborhood, which was really nice. We had an awesome stay, loved the atmosphere.

The place had a good vibe like a bunch of friends hanging out. The sleeping quarters were less than greatl. We killed a live roach before our bags were unpacked. That didn't freak me out too much because I'm from Florida! The overstuffed chair was dirty and spewing forth stuffing. Also a cushioned seat was a bit grimy. Too bad cuz it wouldn't take much to have clean furnishings. The bathroom a bit shabby w/plywood but clean enuf to shower w/flip-flops. Funky is cool, dirty is uncool. Fun place!

• 28th Apr 2015

Nice and friendly staff, good value for money. Couldn't book rooms in person had to use the net which was annoying. But over all was a great place to stay

• 28th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Everyone on the staff was very helpful, it's in a great location and the people staying were very cool. I will be back.

• 27th Apr 2015

This was my second time staying at India House and I loved it just as much the second time. It's a really cool, clean, friendly hostel.