India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

This is one of my favorite hostels I have stayed in. The vibe is awesome and it's like a mini hostel city. Met some of the greatest people here. The trolley runs right by the hostel and getting around is easy. Of course the cat is always chilling and hanging out. There is a lot of room to hangout and meet people.

• 12th Oct 2015

Very cool backpackers hostel with awesome vibes and a real New Orleans feel. Will definitely be recommending this to friends in the future. The only downside was the staff could be a bit more knowledgeable about the city. Other than that it's awesome!

• 11th Oct 2015

Great hostel: staff, food, common areas, and, mainly, the atmosphere. For sure it's in the top 3 of the ones that I went to.

• 10th Oct 2015

It was amazing.

• New Zealand

The food at the hostel was the best food in New Orleans. I was so impressed! The courtyard area is absolutely beautiful. The hostel has a gungy theme, but is very clean. The staff was the most friendly staff of any hostel I've stayed at.

• 9th Oct 2015

Great place to meet people and have fun

• All Male Group, 25-30

It was loud and LOTS of drinking. Granted, that's what you should expect traveling into New Orleans. Didn't feel completely comfortable with the other residents there -- especially the drunk guys. I didn't feel necessarily safe in the environment. That didn't make me feel safe .wouldn't recommend it. Breakfast isn't as great as the reviews made it seem. The cat is heartless and loves no one.

The hostel was really funky, but in a nice way. The streetc ar was one minute walk, which was great. The staff was nice and helpful. There was only one bathroom on each floor, which wasn't great, but it was fine for one night.

10 out of 10 for this this mad house!!

Very nice staff. Toilets can use some TLC. How about a hook on the walls in the rooms to hang a coat etc? Fun house, great location. Perfect for people who like to travel but can't afford hotels. Love the place!

• 6th Oct 2015
  • Norway

We stayed in a private room. The building our room was situated in seemed newer but the walls were paper thin and the floors caused everything to echo so it was extremely loud.

Enjoyed my stay here but the aircon in the room was far too cold and no decent covers provided on arrival

As far as security, I understand what other reviewers mean about the lack of security. There is so many people staying there, and the revolving door of people that work there, how do they know who is actually there and what they are doing? There were people there who weren't even staying there; just friends of friends, I suppose. I will say that the people who worked there were really nice, inviting and willing to help; especially Ish.

• 1st Oct 2015

Very convenient location, took the E2 local bus from the airport and it dropped me off a few blocks from the hostel. This was a great value and I will stay here again if i visit New Orleans

I loved the atmosphere, the staff and the music they play all day!! They have a very nice securiy who is around all night long. Loved it!!

• 1st Oct 2015

This hostel has great vibe. So many different cultures and ages in one place but everyone got along and we went out as group every night. It is little far from Bourbon and Frenchman streets but it is easy and cheap to catch the trolley down there. My only complaint is that the pillows were very old, saliva stained and needed replacing. Thanks for a great experience India House !

For party people only. Really noisy. Party are partying until 6am. If you want to drink all night in the common parts, stay here. If you want to enjoy the city in an other way, find an other place.

This is by far the best value for money hostel I have ever stayed at. The facilities themselves are quite basic but served there purpose and for $17 a night I can't complain. The atmosphere however is the best aspect of this hostel. The area designated for guest to mingle is fantastic made even better by the fact the hostel has fridges outside reserved for alcohol. The neighbourhood is very safe and not too far from downtown as the street carts are very close. Fantastic hostel.

I enjoyed my stay, the staff were the best thing as was the kitchen, outdoor area, and lounge. Things that need looking at are the power points which regularly had issues charging electronics with adapters, staff enabled printing, and the downstairs shower was hopeless.

This hostel went way my expectations. We ended up staying for three nights instead of the one night planned. Awesome place, awesome atmosphere and felllowship