India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Could be one of the best hostels in America, just needs to clean the rooms up a bit...... Well a lot !!

My friend and I stayed for 4 nights all up and absolutely loved it! The staff were very helpful with any enquiries and put on a tasty affordable breakfast and dinner each day which helped us save plenty. The atmosphere was awesome with a great set up that allows you to meet so many different travellers or if you like you can easily find peace. The new rooms were very clean and for $25 each a night to have your own room and bathroom was really good. Made some amazing friends here! Hope I get back

Negatives: they don't accept credit card when you arrive and you have to pay $5 dollars more (that they give you back when you do check out). You must bring your lock or they will bill you $6 dollars to use them. And the common area's atmosphere is like New Orleans, scary.

Amazing experience! I haven't visited many hostels, but this is definitely a go-to while in New Orleans!

• 5th May 2014

This hostel is definitely for young people. We loved it however some of the staff weren't helpful at all when we asked questions. On our last day we met two staff members who were actually nice and helpful, which surprised us. Facilities are excellent and include a pool, and breakfast runs til 1pm which is handy. Would recommend but don't rely on staff for suggestions or help.

The hostel is a few blocks away from a bad part of town. Thankfully the street car is literally a few feet away from the hostel so you do not need to walk past the bad parts. It was a shock though arriving late at night and hearing my shuttle driver tell me to avoid walking to the next block. The staff is great and very knowledge about the area. They even hosted a a free crawfish boil when I was there that was a lot of fun. Very friendly atmosphere with international travelers. I would go back.

• 2nd May 2014

You'all rock!!!!

• 30th Apr 2014

Had an amazing stay at India House, met some great people and the breakky was incredible! Definitely staying there again when I'm back in New Orleans.

Cool hostel , you meet travelers from around the world.

Very fun place to stay! Lots of areas to socialize and yet my sleeping place was nice and far away from that. I will say that the girl on staff was originally not so friendly about the "cash only" rule, sassing to us that "it's ALL OVER the Web site," though myself and the girl in front of me were unaware. However, she earned points back by calling the manager and allowing the girl to pay on her card. Otherwise, staff was lovely, rooms seemed clean, LOVED the big blanket.

We were greeted by a friendly girl who showed us around the place and made us feel at home. It is a very laid back hostel with mostly young, open-minded travellers. Very easy to meet people from all over the world there. We loved that it had a pool so we could go for a dip in the morning. They also serve meals which was very handy if you needed a quick, cheap ($5) bite. Very chill atmosphere. Definitely worth the money!

• 29th Apr 2014

Great hostel in New Orlenas. 20 minute walk to french quarter, but very close to public transportation. Very close also to Jazz Fest. I loved my room - West Wing, very big, 3 showers in it! Awesome facilities. Only small "complaint" is that they don't sell alcohol at the hostel.

VERY Awesome!! Thank you!!

• 28th Apr 2014
  • Poland

I can only speak for the "private rooms" that are located outside the main house. Small changes like a mirror in the bathroom and shelves/hooks/chairs in the main room would have gone a long way. I didn't like having to keep all my things on the floor, especially after discovering the giant roaches i shared my room with. Also, the linens were terrible quality--rough and stained. I know its a hostel, and not fancy, but small improvements would have made a big difference.

• 24th Apr 2014

I have stayed at India House a half dozen times. The staff are always super helpful. You cannot beat this place for the location, the price and the fact that they make you feel welcome. They really don't advertise, but they make outstanding meals for really cheap. I would highly recommend this Hostel. As my niece says, she will never stay anywhere else in New Orleans!

• 23rd Apr 2014

This hostel was cool as hell. Awesome atmosphere and good people, for the most part. But not the place to go if you want a good night's sleep. Or, sleep at all. I've hosteled all over Europe and this place had, hands down, the worst beds I've ever experienced. No A/C in the dorms, either. Definitely a cool spot to meet people, but be prepared for a rough night if you're trying to catch some Z's.

First appearances not good, but what an awesome life decision to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 22nd Apr 2014
  • South Africa

Good hostel! They have very cheap breakfasts on site until 1pm, a big outdoors area with a pool. Although its not located in a very happening area, you can get to the city centre within 10 min on the streetcar located right next to the hostel. Wifi is good and we could catch it from our room, air con, privates have a double and a single bed (bunk). Nothing really bad to say about this place and would definitely recommend it

Great location close to the street cars. Rooms are very basic with very hard mattresses. Staff are very unwelcoming and look like they would rather be somewhere else.

Clean beds and bathrooms, nice quiet sleeping areas and fantastic common areas - great for meeting and hanging out with other travellers. Awesome wall art and an affordable cooked breakfast. Convenient transport to downtown with the trolley pretty much door-to-door.