India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

It's difficult to rate this hostel: in terms of cleanliness and safety, it's the crappiest hostel I have ever stayed at - but I met some great people here. And it's cool that there is a pool (but how clean is it?). The large amount of bugs, the half equipped kitchen (no proper silverware, dirty) and (very) dirty bathrooms made me decide to give a negative review.

India House is my favorite place to stay in NOLA. I've never had a bad experience there.

• 20th Sep 2015

My friend and i stayed for 3 nights in a private room w/ private bath. Only furniture in room is bunk bed, which was fine. However a small table would have been nice. This was our first hostel experience, and we enjoyed it very much. We met cool people and would recommend India House to others, despite majority of staff not being very friendly. A couple staff where nice, however most almost seemed annoyed by our presence. Good location, 10 min to French Quarter by street car.

• 19th Sep 2015
  • American Samoa

Nice place, cool atmosphere. For New Orleans, it's a great price. We stayed here in a twin room with private en suite and it was a bargain. Staff were really friendly when we arrived. It's a bit out of the main city area, but there's a tram only 50 meters from the front door that takes you straight into the main city (and Burbon St) and it's only $1.25. We walked into town our first evening stopping at a nearby shop along the way for a couple of 40 oz beers :-). If you're on a budget, stay here

• 17th Sep 2015

Great place, fun hostel but I don't know what I'm paying for, considering it's not close, breakfast isn't included and they can't even make the beds or clean them up apon departure.

once we found the tram/ a okay.top spot

• 15th Sep 2015
  • New Zealand

Great to find a hostel with a pool! The main house could do with more bathrooms and make sure you package any food you keep in the kitchen well - they do get some bugs.

One of the best hostels ever.

I really enjoyed my stay here. It was a good location and was right beside a street car. It's only a couple of stops away from the French quarter. The staff were friendly and helpful and there was free coffee.

• 11th Sep 2015

The place was neat, the atmosphere was good, the location was excellent, most of the staff was friendly and helpful, but the staffer cooking breakfast in the morning for a fee was surly and didn't cook my juevos rancheros worth a damn. Cheese should be warm, at the very least. You get what you pay for, but still...

• 10th Sep 2015

Great value for money and without any restrictions that come with other New Orleans hostels. Located off Canal Street, India House is a 20-minute walk to the French Quarter or a short trolley ride away. Busy facility with hostellers coming and going at all hours.

• 10th Sep 2015

I loved India!! I have never met such amazing people all in one place. The place was so interesting and laid back, loved my time here.

We fell inlove with this hostel and will never stay anywhere else in new orleans! We felt very at home and comfortable.

• 10th Sep 2015

The staff is mostly really nice. The cleaning staff was pretty rude for a few days so was one particular staff member but other than that most of the staff was amazing and really nice. The atmosphere is really nice and the outside space is really good. Its not on the strip which makes it actually better. They don't offer towels or have basic tools in the kitchen for cookibg I find the level of roaches just far to high. When I go to pick up a knife and there are roaches crawling over them. Gross

• 9th Sep 2015

Had a great time at India House. The main thing they get spot on is the atmosphere. It's easy to chat to other travellers and I spent days sightseeing and nights drinking with many of the other guests. Their breakfast and dinner options were very reasonably priced and so convenient. Streetcar is 1 minute walk from the hostel which takes you into the centre. There's also a shop just 3 blocks away. Only thing to fault is lack of sleep due to people having sex in my dorm and loud drunks at 4am!

I had such an amazing time!! I can't wait to go back! The only thing I could complain about would be the wi fi wasn't great but that wasn't why I was there.

• 9th Sep 2015

Travel to a lot of hostels in Europe and South America as if it was a combination of both in the US. Would highly recommend this place for anybody who likes to experience staying at a hostel. Then go out and see the world.

Chilled out hostel with friendly staff and a good vibe. Would definitely stay again. Andy London

Pros: Breakfast was good, great hours. The bunk beds were great, spacing was perfect for use. Cons: We were in the Rex room, which was located in the back of the hostel... long walk from the only exit/entrance. We also had two doors in our room to exit to the street which were not supposed to be used per the sign on the doors.... had people trying to get in from the outside at one point & was worried the door wouldn't hold. The door was locked but didn't seem secure...

Fantastic.