India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

the building is renovated from the outside, but so old and gloomy from the inside. Cleanliness is not there at all; not in bed sheets, pillows, bathrooms... the bathrooms are mixed (male

This place is OK & has everything you need it is well worn which suggests its a place that people want to be at,everyone is friendly and I met some terrific people here which made my stay memorable. There is a cooked breakfast for $4-$6 if you want and a $5 meal at night which is OK. I would stay again

I have travelled all over the world and to all of the US states, however, the India House is by far the best for the buck, as well as the social interactions!!! A hop step and a jump, literally, from the trolley car and one is downtown on Bourbon Street in about 15 minutes, in the heart of the day or nightlife!!!

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Jamaica

This was exactly the kind of hostel experience I was looking for, in a trip to New Orleans. The atmosphere was very laid back and international. The trolley was just a few quick steps from the front door. The omelets were top notch.

• 26th Mar 2014

1st. It would be nice to tell or post on the hostel web site that upon check in the balance is due in cash otherwise if a credit card is used the minimum charge is $80.00 [How about adding modern alternatives to collect payments like PayPal?] 2nd Staff: Amila. She was very friendly, helpful, demonstrated patience while helping other guests. Good luck to you and your future endeavors

• 25th Mar 2014
  • Venezuela

Such a great place to stay. There's really not much more to say. If you're passing through New Orleans, it'd be a mistake not to stay here.

• 24th Mar 2014

Awesome place to stay. I've really enjoyed my time at India House. The staff is great and the atmosphere is spontaneous. I really enjoyed the quality breakfast and dinners. The 8-bed male dorms are not the best place to get sleep. They're located to the next to the main social area. Shift your sleep schedule 4 hours and you'll fit right in. Major downside is the location. Streetcar is needed to get from and to French Qaurter.

I loved staying at the India House, it was fantastic! It is about a 25 min. walk to the French Quarter and next to the trolley station if you don't want to walk. They offer delicious home cooked meals for $5 and have a lovely commons area where everyone hangs out. They only complaint I would have is that the bathrooms are made for one person at a time, so oftentimes there was a line. Also there are small lockers available but you have to bring your own lock. Definitely would recommend this place

• 23rd Mar 2014

The allowance for problems in reservation could be more organized.

• 22nd Mar 2014

Amazing atmosphere! Huge common areas make it very conducive to meeting people. We enjoyed a delicious, cheap meal that the hostel made, beers, and new friends each night we were there. 10/10 would recommend, would stay there again

This place is fantastic! People complaining about it being too loud or crazy probably shouldn't be staying in a backpacking hostel...this one was relatively tame in comparison, while still having a great atmosphere! The staff and people were super friendly and helpful, the place had everything you could ever need (including GREAT water temp/pressure...quite the luxury after my travels in different hostels throughout the world...), and the place is located within 20 minutes of anywhere!

• 19th Mar 2014

The ad. of city, swamp and plantation tours R in the lobby. Before I booked 3 tours via the hostel,I asked the staff (a male about 50) twice about the discount. He answered vaguely. But the next day the tour guide said"U can have $8 off if U book 2". I asked I booked 3 why no discount. She said U should asked the staff.The staff said "I don't know, I just help U call them." I felt being cheated by them. They should tell me in advance or I can book the "cajun encounters" on line by my own.

Good for those who just need a bed and a shower! Will keep in mind for next trip to New Orleans!

• 15th Mar 2014

Great hostel with plenty of opportunities to meet other travelers. Huge as well. But there are a few odd things that won't affect your stay which could be improved, like there is only one bowl on the whole hostel, the shower curtains in my dorm only covered half the shower, so everything got wet. All in all a very good hostel.

Met some cool people, this hotels has everything that you need

• 8th Mar 2014

Bathroom upstairs was dirty.

Bed didn't have a sheet on it when I checked in at 3...was told it would be put on later, showed back up at 11pm and it still wasn't on my bed. The plastic covering that was on the bed had a hole on it as well. The hole on the wall next to the bed was ugly as well. Bathroom toilets were filthy. Staff and the house kitty were the only highlight of the hostel.

• 5th Mar 2014

Loved my stay here-- really fun atmosphere and the streetcar is right outside. I've never statyed in a hostel quite like this with all the seperate buildingd, but I loved it!

• 2nd Mar 2014

I love India house and always will

Cool vibe!!! Good people overall...

• 2nd Mar 2014