India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Great value for money and without any restrictions that come with other New Orleans hostels. Located off Canal Street, India House is a 20-minute walk to the French Quarter or a short trolley ride away. Busy facility with hostellers coming and going at all hours.

• 10th Sep 2015

I loved India!! I have never met such amazing people all in one place. The place was so interesting and laid back, loved my time here.

We fell inlove with this hostel and will never stay anywhere else in new orleans! We felt very at home and comfortable.

• 10th Sep 2015

The staff is mostly really nice. The cleaning staff was pretty rude for a few days so was one particular staff member but other than that most of the staff was amazing and really nice. The atmosphere is really nice and the outside space is really good. Its not on the strip which makes it actually better. They don't offer towels or have basic tools in the kitchen for cookibg I find the level of roaches just far to high. When I go to pick up a knife and there are roaches crawling over them. Gross

• 9th Sep 2015

Had a great time at India House. The main thing they get spot on is the atmosphere. It's easy to chat to other travellers and I spent days sightseeing and nights drinking with many of the other guests. Their breakfast and dinner options were very reasonably priced and so convenient. Streetcar is 1 minute walk from the hostel which takes you into the centre. There's also a shop just 3 blocks away. Only thing to fault is lack of sleep due to people having sex in my dorm and loud drunks at 4am!

I had such an amazing time!! I can't wait to go back! The only thing I could complain about would be the wi fi wasn't great but that wasn't why I was there.

• 9th Sep 2015

Travel to a lot of hostels in Europe and South America as if it was a combination of both in the US. Would highly recommend this place for anybody who likes to experience staying at a hostel. Then go out and see the world.

Chilled out hostel with friendly staff and a good vibe. Would definitely stay again. Andy London

Pros: Breakfast was good, great hours. The bunk beds were great, spacing was perfect for use. Cons: We were in the Rex room, which was located in the back of the hostel... long walk from the only exit/entrance. We also had two doors in our room to exit to the street which were not supposed to be used per the sign on the doors.... had people trying to get in from the outside at one point & was worried the door wouldn't hold. The door was locked but didn't seem secure...

Fantastic.

• 8th Sep 2015

Wonderful hostel, helpful staff, and a clean environment.

• 7th Sep 2015

I had a good stay but my previous stay was better. We have felt that our questions to the Friday night staff when we arrived were boring for them... I've known a better welcoming check-in in this hostel!!

Good location (streetcars right across the street that bring you directly to the French Quarter), staff very helpful the only negative point is the cleanliness especially in the bathroom.

I had a great stay! I would have liked it if the staff had been a bit more aggressive about keeping other tenants quiet late at night, though this was only a significant problem for me one of the nights I was there, in spite of the fact that there seemed to be people up and about 24 hours a day. All in all, it was a great value, and I hope to come back again sometime.

• 4th Sep 2015

This hostel has both an exciting atmosphere, and a home style one. The staff are very friendly, and the rooms are very quiet. I would define lay reccommend this to anyone especially if you are a solo traveler.

• 4th Sep 2015

Hands down amazing. It's like a little villa. Breakfast every morning rocked

• 2nd Sep 2015

We stayed in a private room and so cannot speak of the dormitories. The private room in which we stayed was immaculate and air conditioned and very good value for money. The location was a little out of the centre but still within a 15-minute street car ride to the centre and so was easily accessible. Having been to South Asia I didn't feel the hostel could be described as a truly Indian experience but still had a communal atmosphere. The cleanliness of the kitchen leaves much to be desired.

I found the staff useless and painfully slow. I arrived a day early and was able to check in for 1 day only and had to check in again and move rooms. The hostel is a lovely old hose, very atmospheric and good for meeting people in and around the pool in the back. The hostel isn't that close to town, about 40 mins on foot but 10 mins on the tram that runs close by. The place has the potential to be an excellent hostel if the changed the staff attitude/culture

Amazingggg the best people youll ever meet!

• 31st Aug 2015
  • Israel

I stayed there 12 years ago and it was ok, but after going back it has improved a lot. Rooms are much better and the woman who answered all my questions was brilliant.

• 31st Aug 2015