India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

It was very hard to feel comfortable here because it was so dirty. The bathrooms, the dorms, the kitchen all had dust and dirt hanging from walls to floor. The staff was doing the best they could. It needs a serious cleaning, painting and furniture update. There need to be hooks and shelving/cubbies in the dorms and bathrooms. Tiles in bathroom broken. Toilet seats were ill-fitted. We did not want to hang out here and left and stayed away as long as possible.

• 13th Apr 2015

The people we met at the hostel were excellent. .the staff were not. They were a bit rude and non informational. .there was also a cat inhabiting the hostel which I did not know and there was nothing on the website about it. And I am highly allergic to cats and had a bad allergic reaction. I stayed at this location 2 years ago prior to last week and had a great experience. This stay however. . Was not. I most likely will not stay here again

• 13th Apr 2015

Nice place, nice people... Can't wait to come back !

• 12th Apr 2015

I enjoyed my stay. The staff were friendly and helpful. I loved the proximity to the Canal Street streetcar, so although the location is a little bit out of the central sites of interest, it was inexpensive ($1.25 single fare, $3.00 day pass) and an enjoyable experience riding the streetcars.

I had an AWESOME experience at India House. I'd never stayed at a hostel in the states before and was a little nervous, but it was just as good or better than all the ones I've stayed at in Europe. Very homey, good environment to meet people in, the staff was great. The only thing I have to complain about is the location, which wasn't in walking distance and a tad sketchy. Other than that though, great experience, especially for the price. Also the food/pool/courtyard are LEGIT.

• 10th Apr 2015

The rooms were quite, they provide a breakfast for reasonable costs,

Amazing experience! Staff was very helpful and the facilities were very clean. Would definitely recommend!

• 9th Apr 2015

I really enjoyed my stay at India house, it's a great place if you're looking for a social environment. I was here during the week and it was still full of interesting people from all backgrounds. When I come through on my next trip, I'll definitely be staying here again

This is really the ideal backpacker place. Great atmosphere, every facility you can dream of is available (for little extra cost), nice location, staff is extremely helpful and knows a lot about the area . We stayed in the double room with private bathroom several times and would recommend this place to anyone coming to NOLA.

• 7th Apr 2015

Awesome hostel! Felt safe and great location. Some staff were slightly rude though.

• 7th Apr 2015

The staff can really set the vibe for a hostel. In my opinion, they could do a better job at making the hostel guests feel welcome. Otherwise, the property is beautiful and somewhat conveniently located if you don't mind taking the train for about 15 minutes to reach the French Quarter.

• 7th Apr 2015

We had a great time at India House. The dorm was clean and all the staff were very helpful. Loved the atmosphere at this hostel - everyone was there to have fun.

• 6th Apr 2015

I had a short stay at India House, but it definitely made my experience in New Orleans even better. They seemed very organized, and the room and the bathroom were really clean. The location was also good. There's a street car that takes you towards the French Quarter, which probably takes less than 15 minutes. I think they have a very reasonable price for what they offer. I really liked the atmosphere, and would definitely not think twice about staying there again when I go back to New Orleans.

• 5th Apr 2015
  • Philippines

Really just slept there after all. Fyi taxi from the airport is 37 dollars not 8. E2 bus is nearby but really unpredictable it may stop and it may not. Street car to French Quarter is awesome and costs 1.25 each way. ATM at hostel is helpful as they have an 80 dollar minimum and require cash for most things.

• 5th Apr 2015

Really nice, relaxed place that breaths the sphere of the Big Easy.

Spent 6 days in NOLA. Had an amazing time here. Quite affordable breakfast everyday, pool and live music were definitely my favorite things. I met a lot of people from everywhere. People at the reception weren't helpful at all I was always asking for things, they were very distracted all the time.

Great location, just across the street from trolley and only a short ride to Bourbon St. and all the resturants and nightlife. From there a pleasant ride through the Garden District, past cemetary and war museums to the Audobon Zoo and Park. We had a good 2 nights here and only saw one small cockroach (It is NOLA) NO bed bugs! Stayed in 4 bed (2 bunks) private for our group of 2 'seasoned' hostlers and 2 newly 21 year olds, running hot/cold water,air, decent beds, slept quiet, everyone happy!!!

Really great experience, with an insane amount of cool, chill people. What more could one want?

I think having an $80 minimum on credit cards is unreasonable. I mean, why? To avoid taxes? Or to collect fees from everyone who needs to get cash out of your ATM?

• 1st Apr 2015

This place was filthy! There was mold on the ceiling and the blankets were dirty. I would not stay at this place again. The staff really didn't seem to care at all. There is a difference between funky and filthy. This could be a great place, but it is very neglected and rundown.

• 1st Apr 2015