India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

We stayed here for Mardi gras. It was easy to get to the down town and staff were very helpful for any questions we had about the city Prices of course go up for events but still better and cheaper then a hotel. Overall great stay for your money

• 12th Feb 2015

better than a hotel that was triple the price!

• 12th Feb 2015

India house is a beautiful place.

• 11th Feb 2015

This is a great hostel. I've stayed here before and am glad to have returned. It's in a fantastic location, easy to get to and from the action, and has a fun environment!

Awesome place to stay. The patio commons area is perfect for meeting people. And there's a pool! It's a 30 second walk from the Canal Streetcar that drops you right on Bourbon street. Beat hostel in NOLA.

• 9th Feb 2015

The vibe of the hostel is really cool and it's easy to meet people because of the setup. The pool is a nice feature and the breakfast, though not free, is cheap and delicious. Staff are helpful without being super friendly. The rooms are a bit shoddy - old, cold and sort of crumbling... but they did give space heaters and extra blankets on request. All in all a decent hostel and a good place to meet folk.

amazing experience. best value

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Vietnam
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Awesome hostel!!

It was good stuff; everyone was very nice and welcoming. Cool ambiance, clean for a hostel, I really enjoyed it. It's right next to the trolley car stop so very convenient to get into town. Rudy at the front desk gave us some great recommendations, and breakfast, despite having one cook for over 20 travelers, never took too long and was delicious.The weather was great, which is obviously out of their control, but still added to the positive experience we had staying at India House. =)

• 5th Feb 2015

Our room was a little chilly. An air-conditioner was located in the window, with plastic fittings surrounding it. Luckily I had a sleeping bag to help ward the chill off.

• 1st Feb 2015

I'm an older (over 40) traveler, and I was surprised that I was restricted to a private room. I chose to stay at a hostel to have a more social experience, but I was required to pay for two beds in a room although I only needed one. I felt a little discriminated against. I should be able to decide for myself if I can "handle" a dorm or shared room.

• 31st Jan 2015

Loved meeting range of guests. Location near Canal St tram is excellent. Loved NO. Thanks.

its nice to have a full bathroom with shower, toilet and sink :)

Very nice hostel, great atmosphere ! I like it more in the hostel than out in the city.

India House was able to give me last minute accommodations because of a cancelled flight. It looks great and I was treated very well. The sheets and bed were very clean and the staff was friendly. The location is right off Canal Street, so grabbing a streetcar is easy and if you wanted to, you could take a kinda long walk to the downtown area.

• 27th Jan 2015

Stayed at the hostel for 5 nights in a private room and had a great time. The room itself is very basic. A bed and a bathroom, nothing else but when you don't spend much time in the room it doesn't matter. The atmosphere was great and the communal areas were a great place to meet fellow travellers. It's only a 10 second walk to the streetcar stop so in a convenient location. The choice of food for breakfast was brilliant and very good value for money!

One of my favorite hostels in the u.s. hands down. 2 stays in the last 5 years.

• 25th Jan 2015

Lovely hostel. Great people, great vibes. Cheap food onsite. Right near the cable car to get down to the French Quarter. Could not recommend highly enough.

• 24th Jan 2015

It was easy to get to from the airport by bus. The staff were friendly and helpful. There is a cat that lives there too. He does not bother anyone, He is usually found behind the check in desk, front door or the top of the stairs. Everyone seems to love this cat. The rooms can be cold in the winter. It was warm when someone left the heater in the kitchen on at night. It is easy to access the streetcar on Canal street. Limited kitchen facilities. Great meals prepared at hostel.

they charge $5 to hire a towel which i think it pretty ridiculous. You can store you're own food but there is hardly any cutlery or bowls to use. my bunk bed was extremely noisy and this bothered me and probably the others staying in the room. There is only 1 bathroom for each floor which could become congested in the mornings. The food cooked at nights was very good and i highly recommend that. I'm sure some thoroughly enjoy the hippie atmosphere but i found the hostel very random and unclean

• 22nd Jan 2015