India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

India House is a lot of fun. Folks are friendly and outgoing. It's a great place to meet people from all over the world. The owners/managers/long term staff are fabulous. The desk staff are generally pretty good, too. The location is terrific....right off Canal St., with easy street car access to the Quarter. The hostel's main building is a gorgeous old house. It's not in the best of shape, but it's interesting and quirky. The outdoor spaces are gorgeous, and there's even a swimming pool

Had a great stay. Loud and lively house. Not for everyone but I loved it.

• 25th Nov 2015

Disgusting but friendly and fun

• Turkey

Great location right near Mid City with a tram right a block away! Met some amazing people, and re-kindled friendships with Mike, Mark, and Pocket! Thanks so much, everyone! You are a great group travelers!

• 25th Nov 2015

I was staying over Thanksgiving weekend. Lots of people coming and going. Although I needed to be moved to a different room during my stay, the staff made it super smooth for me. Staff was always responsive, helpful, respectful and prompt. 1/2 block from streetcar, 3 blocks from awesome music venue.

• 25th Nov 2015

Awesome place, awesome people, awesome atmosphere. Can't wait to go back. Making a point to be there for next Thanksgiving the meal was that good.

• 24th Nov 2015

The hostel was very easy to find and the staff is friendly and accommodating. As soon as I walked in, I felt like I was walking into my own home. Great atmosphere and vibe!

• 23rd Nov 2015
  • Philippines

India House is really well done. Organized, clean, safe and social. Affordable eats and great prices beds. The 4 person ensuite is great value.

Great stay at an awesome hostel! The bed was sunken in a tad, but one can get past that. Man, what a place!

• 21st Nov 2015

A warm and welcoming environment in a good location. Unfortunately, it has a hippy aesthetic without the ideals: every meal must be eaten with disposable plates, cups, spoons and silverware. The waste was unacceptable so we used our own backpacking dishware. Full sets of dishes and drinkware can be purchased for a few dollars at the thrift store.

• 20th Nov 2015

Not the worst spot. They make food which is good. Good spot ta hang out. One thing i did not like is that they dont seem to have a check in time so people are checking in at 8am 9am when u are sleeping. And check out is at 12. That means they cant clean the rooms right. But i would stay here again staff are friendly and helpfull.

Loved it. I will most certainly stay again.

This place was great. I felt at home. Very cozy and comfortable! A great vibe.

Overall, great hostel! The outdoor area is open and inviting, and the location is awesome. Funky old house with creaky floors and pretty standard bunk beds. Everyone was friendly and there for a good time. Very friendly staff. The booking system is absolutely ancient - they should get a better system! It took ages to get checked-in. I'd stay again.

Me and my husband had an awesome stay here! We got a private room and bathroom and it was really nice. The bathroom was beautiful especially for a hostel. The bed was comfortable and the whole place was great. The girl at the front desk when we first arrived seemed pretty rude and we even overheard a conversation she had with an older man who was staying there and neither of us liked how unhelpful she was to him. Other than that the rest of the staff we met was great. The cook made great food!!

• 13th Nov 2015

Great!!! Loved it.

You truthfully advertised your location as a bawdy spot. I am in NO WAY bawdy. I thought I would have enough room to avoid that atmosphere. Hated it! But I praise Rudy the night clerk who calmed and corrected the atmosphere when it began to be too callous.

Great staff! Love the people there. Clean and inviting

• 13th Nov 2015

Very cool place. Everything I hoped it would be. An easy trolley ride to all the New Orleans fun.

• 12th Nov 2015

Front desk person confirmed that we had a private bathroom then tried to show us to a room without private bathrooms. Asked if I was sure we paid for the private bathroom and then showed us to the correct room after already seeing my documents and taking my payment (which is more than rooms without toilet). Left next morning to explore city, I made DOUBLE sure to lock door/shut off lights and check the lock was secured. Upon return the lights were on in our room and the door was unlocked. WHY!?

• 12th Nov 2015