India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Such an amazing place to stay in New Orleans! The atmosphere is great and the place is so chilled out. The swimming pool is such a good idea. Best hostel I've been to

I stayed in the 12 person co-ed room, first floor, in the second house. This room was grimy, and the bathrooms weren't cleaned during my stay. It looked like the floors and curtains just hadn't been given any attention in years. Without explanation, there appeared to be a much older (mid to late 40s) American male living in a room just off of the dorm room, in what we all thought was a closet. Since this hostel requires student ID or foreign residency, I thought this was especially odd.

• 8th Aug 2014

Can't say enough great things about India House. I've stayed at Hostels all over. By far India House is the best. The people, vibe and atmosphere are msgical. Been here twice and can't wait to return.

• 7th Aug 2014

It was the worst hostel I've ever seen! The guy who worked there looked like he took some pills. So the atmosphere in the whole house was creepy. The rooms were so dirty and I guess it was months ago that someone cleaned up in the room. There were HUGE cockroaches in the bathroom! One of them flew directly on my arm, so I decided at the first night NOT to stay here any longer. I had to search for a hotel at 2:30 in the morning. So if you want to have a homeless experience please go there!

The price you pay is the value that you get. The area out back was pretty cool - the pool, tables to sit, fridges for both food and beer, etc. the a.c. Barely worked in my dorm room of the main house, which is pretty necessary in Nola's humidity and heat. It's not my first choice of hostels in the area, but it's a pretty good location and a social scene.

Perfect example of what a hostel should be! Staff are friendly, location is close to transport, they serve up a fantastic, cheap, traditional Louisiana meal every night, great fry ups in the morning, SO cheap to stay and a great atmosphere! You may stay in cleaner hostels, but none as fun as this one! (Be careful with the swimming pool, you may end up in there all day...!)

It's a good place, relatively large rooms, there is a pool. They also cook food, so you can buy something for breakfast or dinner. Nice common areas, in general it is a good hostel to socialize. However the staff couldn't be more uninterested. The staff would help you with directions or break a twenty for a street car(which you'll need to take every day to get to the city, 3$ day pass) however they didn't seem friendly. I'm not particularly sure they liked what they were doing.

My friend and I stayed in a private room. It had old furnishings and bedding but everything was extremely clean. The sheets smelled like bleach and the mattress was nice. The AC worked great considering the super hot temperatures. The bathrooms were totally functional and I never had to wait to take a shower or use the toilet. There were cleaning ladies there every day of my stay. The kitchen was great, too. Staff was helpful. Cool people and great vibes. Loved my stay-especially for the price!

• 5th Aug 2014

Great place to stay, right next to the Streetcar stop. Clean pool and helpful staff.

Bit too grimy and dirty for anyone who isn't a student. Very communal Staff not particularly approachable However good breakfast, easy to meet people.

• 4th Aug 2014

Incredible place. If you're in Nola, doesn't matter if you're on budget or not, stay here at least a couple of days to meet the most interesting group of travelers. I made many friends, from all over the world.

• 3rd Aug 2014
  • Nepal

I stayed here last year and had a wonderful time, but it seems like some of the staff this time around was a bit rude and surly. Nothing too bad, but definitely a change from last year.

This was one of the best hostels I stayed at. It was conveniently located next to the street car line. Everyone I met at the hostel was friendly, both guest and staff. Also considering the amount of drinking that was involved at the hostel I expected the common areas outside to be covered with alcohol bottles the next day but no it was cleaned thoroughly. I was so pleased by the hostel that I gave them a gift of mixed candy when I left which I have only done for one other hostel.

One staff member was rude every time she was approached. The kitchen was shared and some people didn't clean after themselves. There was no shows as advertised. The rooms was basic. The AC central wasn't as cool. You can hear the people around you talking while sleeping in the room. This was most inconvenience because they woke us up every morning.

• 31st Jul 2014

This place has all the quirks of a fantastic hostel. This hostel is lovely and ramshackle. The place is older so it doesn't look sparkly and clean but it is. The vibe of the place is relaxed and laid back. The pool is fantastic to sit around on a hot day! Highly recommend staying here. Being out of the French quarter is almost a good thing and the cable car is so close that it doesn't matter.

• 30th Jul 2014

Best Hostel I stayed in on my America trip. Easy trip into and out of town. Beds and rooms are good. Staff very friendly and breakfast for $6 (Cooked) really good and dinner for $5 each night even better. Couldn't recommend this place enough!

Staying at the India House was my first expirence stayin in the hostel, and it was wonderful. The location for this place couldn't be more perfect. The night life of New Orleans was either a short walk or street car ride away. The staff was amazing and so helpful. What I loved most about it was that you had to be a student from the U.S. Or from out of the country, so everyone stayin there were interested in meeting people and having fun. Staying here made my expirence and trip to NOLA perfect!

• 30th Jul 2014

I loved the atmosphere of the place. The home cooked meals were great, and the courtyard and pool were wonderful places to relax and meet other guests. The cats, art, and especially courtyard really made the place unique and enjoyable.

• 30th Jul 2014

best hostel i've ever stayed at. after walking the city for hours, you can relax in the pool and at 6 sharp dinner is served for only 5 dollars! usually it's a local specialty too! evenings are a blast, nobody on phone or laptop, but instead sharing beers and stories and having lots of fun! Read some reviews on how staff is unfriendly and aloof, this is not the case! I admit they are not backpackers and don't share their life stories or hang out w/ guests. but they are there when you need them

This hostel was very unclean (not totally unexpected from a hostel, but moreso than it should have been). There were cockroaches in the rooms and showers, and trash in the hallway wasn't removed frequently, so it smelled bad. Staff wasn't very friendly or informative/helpful.