India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

This is the most fun I've had at a hostel!! There are not really enough showers and toilets to go around, and the rooms themselves are fairly basic, but there is a full kitchen and amazing outside and inside common areas where you will meet super interesting, friendly and fun-loving people! If you're in New Orleans to meet people and explore different neighbourhoods India House will do you just fine

The front desk staff were not very pleasant, every time they were approached, the feeling was that we were a nuisance to them (there were several of the same comments from other travellers) The 2 men who cooked the food were so happy and pleasant to talk to you :) I have experienced better hospitality and friendliness at other Hostels… The food, ammentinites, rooms and everything about the rest of the hostel was fantastic… the only thing I suggest is, the staff need an attitude adjustment.

• 22nd Dec 2014

Excellent place to stay overall. Good value. Great atmosphere. Staff was a bit grumpy I felt. Bathrooms need a heater in the winter months. Thanks for the nice Christmas dinner, we thought that was a great touch. And the little extras like the board out front with recommendations was nice. Thanks again!

• 21st Dec 2014

Great hostel party central! Need to fix the heating though our room was a sauna for a couple nights!

Friendly staff and close to the French Quarter!

• 16th Dec 2014

Great environment and ambience. Great location, close to streetcar. We stayed in a private double, great setup and clean. The staff was very friendly.

This is my second stay at India house and I was shocked at how different my experience was. This time we got a private room w/a bunkbed, the bottom mattress of which was awful, springs sticking out everywhere. I asked for a different room but found that all the bottom bunk mattresses were thin

Front door needs a lock, or staff should be confirming whether or not someone is staying there when they enter the building. Also, the place was generally grungy. Clean where it really needed to be, but overall sort of yuck. I talked with several staff people and, while they did their job, they were not friendly. There was this undertone of unhappiness or something. Ironic in a place where all over the walls were statements "India House=Love." House was filled with wonderful art!

• 15th Dec 2014

i loved this hostel! it was my first time in a hostel in the united states and i really enjoyed it

I wished the breakfast menu didn't change, it was not very tasty and mostly I miss the eye-opener !!! But for the rest I enjoyed very much my stay at India House :)

• 14th Dec 2014

It was cool. Lacking in costumer service, my expectations were low.

• 12th Dec 2014

Some rooms are very noisy and dirty, there are some strange folks around, there are no silverware and plates in the kitchen, it was not possible to see the room before paying, cockroaches in the kitchen, one stuff member refused us to change or upgrade the room

• 9th Dec 2014

Absolutely loved my stay here. Has a very welcoming feel and a perfect chilled atmosphere. Street trolley is maybe 100m from the door. Very easy to get into town. Staff were very accommodating and I was able to check into my room at 7:30am. Not the most modern hostel but still very comfortable. This place won't be for everyone, but if you like a relaxed atmosphere to meet new people in, then you will enjoy your time here.

Really nice hostel with friendly and helpful staff. Private rooms were good.

Good location but its very dirty :The bedrooms , the tables outside,the living room and the worst the bathrooms!!

• 2nd Dec 2014

Great dinners and breakfast, way better than anything we expected!

• 2nd Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

I went with my 23 year old son, he really enjoyed it. He met so many people while there that is why I choice the hostel. I am also a lifetime member. So I have to support what I think is important and that is to meet as many cultures as possible while traveling. Thanks for our stay.

• 1st Dec 2014

Seriously, this is one of the best hostels in which I've ever stayed. By far the best one in the US. Totally worth staying here. It's a fantastic place to meet friends. India House will make your New Orleans stay an incredible experience. The staff was cool but don't rely on them.

Amazing atmosphere and environment. Would recommend. But.. Rooms really need a good clean, new blankets. And better showers

• 30th Nov 2014

The staff were a little miserable looking but nevertheless helpful.

• 29th Nov 2014