India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

I dont really rate this hostel and wouldnt stay again. It's a fair way from the city but thats not really a problem as there is an easy tram to get there. They have a pool but there was always children in it while I was there. The place seems kinda messy and the staff seemed really unorganised. The front desk was hardly ever attended. I have stayed in hostels in over 40 countries but not many in USA so it could just be that this is the standard of hostels in USA. Others seemed to like this place

I really loved the pool, with the louisiana heat it is a nice relief. I would like to see a bar area, I think that could be a good addition.

The service of the grumpy guys don't add to the enjoyment of staying there, like if they are not happy with the job. Go do something else!!!! The girls were very kind, so just fire the guys and let the girls run the show. Atmosphere was good, kind of like a studentdorm. But toilets.. 'bathrooms' dont even call it that way.. are nasty. Terrible smell when I arrived in the dorm, sticky feet etc./ then the key didnt work proper (go fix it!!)/ all added up to me leaving the place early. :(

interesting hostel with great interior. easy access to French quarter etc via street car. breakfast not included which is a shame and paid breakfast not great value. Two female staff members on desk duty were very helpful and friendly. Not very clean compared to previous hostels we've stayed at particularly bathroom.

You will either love it for its character or hate it because the whole joint needs a desperate renovation.

Great place to meet fellow travelers and good comradery however a few of the staff are stuck up they take things that aren't yours and have horrible customer service e

• 15th Jun 2015

Nice and close to a rail car stop which is just a couple of minutes from bourbon street and the French quarter. Great value breakfast and dinner, and a really good atmosphere. Room and hostel weren't the cleanest ever but it was adequate for the price. Overall a very good hostel!

I was very disappointed with my stay at India House. It was very very dirty. I once threw something in the kitchen trash and about 50 insects flew & crawled from the sink and shelves towards it. I overheard the staff gossiping about guests on more than one occasion to the point of racism. It was very childish and disgusting behaviour! The beds were EXTREMELY squeaky and dirty. I heard that India House was a bit of a legend on this route. Obviously their standards have gone down over the years.

Place is great recommend it to everyone

I absolutely love the India House! This was my second time being there and it was a blast as always! The atmosphere is amazing and the people are always down to earth. The only thing I would recommend is the place do a deep cleaning. They are working on remodeling which is great but the rooms are dusty and a bit dirty. If they spent an extra day a week doing a deep cleaning it would be worth it. Other than that I love the India House and highly recommend it!

• 12th Jun 2015

Really awesome hostel, backyard with swimming pool, very easy you can met new people, streetcar from downtown to hostel is very easy to use!

• 12th Jun 2015
  • Finland

Yes I am very good feeling s have a good friends.And helping staff.cheap prize.so good decision I am taking this India house hostel.. Thank u so much .

• 11th Jun 2015
  • India

My boyfriend, sister and I stayed here for 5 days. We had an awesome time!! Everyone was so friendly. I highly recommend this hostel to anyone looking to have an fun, laid back and wonderful experience while they are in new Orleans!!

• 11th Jun 2015

They have to improve the facility. So dirty and old rooms. No hygiene at all.

I can't recommend this place more! India House Hostel made my visit to New Orleans one of the best I've ever had. I was surprised by how positive and communal the atmosphere was; everyone was extremely kind and helpful and the back patio area is perfect for relaxing after a long day exploring the city. The hostel isn't in the best area of town, but I felt completely safe inside. Most of all, it is located right by the trolley line, so I didn't have to drive or pay to park the entire time.

• 10th Jun 2015

There was such a great atmosphere. Everyone hangs out on the porch or by the pool. Met so many great people here. I stayed in a mixed-12 dorm and it was so clean! Never saw a bug in the dorms. Now, the main house/kitchen? Yeah, I saw cockroaches there. Other than that, the best trip/stay I've ever had. Going to be hard to beat India House.

• 10th Jun 2015

The best rate in New Orleans 5 minutes to french quater in trolley / 25 walking Great ambiance Ps: Go to frenchmen street for great NO jazz

• 10th Jun 2015

No mirrors, shelves or lockers in dorms. One bathroom between 7 rooms in the first floor. A cat that I didn't know about from the website (I'm severely allergic). Dust EVERYWHERE. Mattresses were torn and fluff was coming off. One of the front desk girls with brunette hair wasn't very friendly she treated me like I was wasting her time. Another New Zealander working at the front I overheard her and a few others from the hostel badmouthing Australians, I am Australian so it wasn't nice.

• 10th Jun 2015

This was much further out of town than I'd thought. Half the staff were very friendly and helpful, half weren't very friendly. The rooms weren't very clean and no towel provided. The bathrooms were pretty gross and filled with bugs at nighttime. Good kitchen and outdoor area though. Nice pool.

Awful experience! The room was dirty, the showers were really bad. We'd have gladly accepted that due to the good location, however, part of the staff was extremly rude ... During the three nights at the hostel we couldn't sleep at all because our room was right at the backyard and people were partying there until 7 am in the morning. Sorry, but at some point I want to rest a little, and I really don't need a staff member saying that this is "really not my problem". Worst place during our trip!

• 8th Jun 2015