India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

Great hostel! Front desk staff could have been more engaged.

Stayed at India House Backpackers Hostel early June after a business trip to New Orleans. I had a private room (ensuite) in a renovated part of the hostel which was surprisingly large and clean. The atmosphere was amazing, almost every night people gather in the courtyard to eat together and have some drinks. Great place to meet people or to organize a group for a night out. The hostel has all facilities a traveler needs, location is also not too bad. Just great value for your money.

Awesome place to meet people! Hung out with a fellow Australian for a few days as we explored New Orleans. Bathrooms and air con could use some improvement but overall we had a really great time, this hostel had such an awesome atmosphere.

• 6th Jun 2014

great hostel. just stay here. the location is slightly out of town but with the tramcar stop right next to the hostel it's very easy to get into the french quarter. daily breakfasts and dinners are cheap and really good. rooms are clean enough, facilities are fine and there's a pool. but mainly it's just great fun and a very pleasant place to be. plus New Orleans is awesome.

ok i book my private room early april for my stay in early june. i checked in the evening and was giving the bayou room...what a total hole in the wall! a full size bed with an very very dusty air condition over it. no privacy because the blinds were broken, i could hear everyone on the outside (bench area), i could see the inside of the hostel from my room with no working blinds, light had no one or off switch so i had to use a sock to cover my hands to twist the light bub on and off.

• 5th Jun 2014

dirty, dirty, dirty! avoid this hostel. Staff with bad attitude. No security at all. No breakfast. the bathrooms are the worst. the light in our room was broken and we had to ask a few times for them to give us another one.

Very well set up hostel. Definitely worth staying at

The staff was friendly and the amenities were great! So much cooking/food storage space, affordable private rooms, and a pool! Awesome!

Funny hostel as regards the atmosphere. Close to Downtown Tampa, but there is not really much to do there (the Riverwalk is nice). The fountain in the patio might be the reason for the mosquitos... It's an ok hostel - I have seen worse and better ones.

• 4th Jun 2014

Very short stay, only one night. However, I thought the place was very charming. It's of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I have already recommended the hostel to several other travelers I have met! If I return to New Orleans, I would definitely stay here again. Only complaint is the showers could be better, but there are several around the hostel, so the water pressure could be better in the other ones than it was in the one I used!

• 3rd Jun 2014

General feeling of being unwelcome.

• 3rd Jun 2014

Great hostel. Met a lot of great people and really good value for money. I spent 5 nights there and could have spent another 5. I will definatley be returning.

I loved it! We were there for a roller derby game and what a perfect place to stay!

• 31st May 2014

The sheets had black marks on them, couldn't tell if they were stained that was or just plain dirty. Also it would be nice if there was a bar to hang clothes on in the room not just a luggage stand. Our room was constantly freezing cold and we couldn't change that without possibly messing with everyone else's room.

• 30th May 2014

We got one of the new private rooms. $55 a night and we had a great shower and a Fan. Pool was awesome! As was being able to buy laundry powder insure to do washing. Streetcar is right out front. Cab to the French quarter is under $15.

One of the best hostels I have stayed in a long time

• 29th May 2014

You get what you pay for and if you can walk there's no need for cablecars or taxis. Good atmosphere and the pool is a really good plus. I would stay there any time. Rooms are really clean and also the bathrooms, but the common areas not so much.

I was expecting a really awful place but it far succeeded my imagination. It was a beautiful hostel and I would go again!

• 29th May 2014

Sheets were not clean in either of the 2 rooms we had and our food taken from the fridge even though labelled with name and departure date.

I don't usually care about the other stuff on the list. I just like having a place to sleep and the atmosphere to meet people and be comfortable. With India House Hostel I really enjoyed and loved the small community atmosphere that this place creates and engenders. I've stayed at plenty of hostels in major cities in the US and this is probably my favorite. Yes, it's not close to the action but it doesn't matter as it's close to transportation to get to where you want to be.

• 25th May 2014