India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

General cleanliness was very poor, nothing was actually cleaned but just surface dirt swept. Decor now tired, not enough toilets or showers at peak times. Good atmosphere both an advantage and not especially at back by pool as noise frequently to 3/4 am. Position excellent near trolley bus line with supermarket 10 mins away.

India house was amazing! Walking through the front door I felt immediately at home. It was so familiar I felt like I had been there before. The main house is tidy and clean but a little rundown. The second night we stayed in the west wing which was immaculate with great facilities. The atmosphere was great, the first night it rained so everyone hung out in the common room and got to know one another.

• 9th May 2014
  • New Zealand

This place was great. I wish I had been staying longer but just needed a place to crash for the night. I booked a private room with a brand new bathroom and shower that were very clean. I would bring my own blanket next time because the ones in the room were a little uncomfortable, no big deal though. This place felt safe and was in a nice spot just outside of downtown Nola. Highly reccommend it to anyone traveling on a budget.

• 8th May 2014

Friendly and helpful staff, close to a tram stop, not enough bathrooms for the amount of guests.

Great place! Whenever Im in New Orleans, India is the place to stay at! All staff were nice and friendly and helped us with activities, where to eat and where to go for fun! The atmosphere was amazing, so many different kinds of people from all over the world, we had a blast! We stayed in a twinned room which was quite narrow but still nice to sleep at. I would recommend this place to anyone who comes to New Orleans and wants to enjoy themselves!

good vibe, "hippie" hostel, they are cooking breakfast every morning (for payments), pool, take the streetcar towards downtown

A very very awesome hostel. Nice dorm rooms and bathrooms are fine. Excellent location near the city park and right next to the trolley line to get into town. Fantastic shared areas and a great atmosphere for meeting other travellers. Decent breakfasts as well!

When I arrived from a long trip, staff Melissa was on duty at the front desk. She did not welcome me and my friends properly. She was not polite and was confused about the reservation. The cleanliness was very poor: the garbage cans smelt bad all the time although they were cleaned everyday, the kitchen was messy all the time, their wasn't sufficient place in the frige and the kitchen for all guests, the table didn't look clean,the room sink drain was blocked, the water of the pool wasn't clean.

• 6th May 2014

The staff did many mistakes and was poorly prepared for our arrival. Our room was dirty and the ceiling leaked. The hostel is good for meeting new people, but the facilities are disgusting.

• 6th May 2014

Could be one of the best hostels in America, just needs to clean the rooms up a bit...... Well a lot !!

My friend and I stayed for 4 nights all up and absolutely loved it! The staff were very helpful with any enquiries and put on a tasty affordable breakfast and dinner each day which helped us save plenty. The atmosphere was awesome with a great set up that allows you to meet so many different travellers or if you like you can easily find peace. The new rooms were very clean and for $25 each a night to have your own room and bathroom was really good. Made some amazing friends here! Hope I get back

Negatives: they don't accept credit card when you arrive and you have to pay $5 dollars more (that they give you back when you do check out). You must bring your lock or they will bill you $6 dollars to use them. And the common area's atmosphere is like New Orleans, scary.

Amazing experience! I haven't visited many hostels, but this is definitely a go-to while in New Orleans!

• 5th May 2014

This hostel is definitely for young people. We loved it however some of the staff weren't helpful at all when we asked questions. On our last day we met two staff members who were actually nice and helpful, which surprised us. Facilities are excellent and include a pool, and breakfast runs til 1pm which is handy. Would recommend but don't rely on staff for suggestions or help.

The hostel is a few blocks away from a bad part of town. Thankfully the street car is literally a few feet away from the hostel so you do not need to walk past the bad parts. It was a shock though arriving late at night and hearing my shuttle driver tell me to avoid walking to the next block. The staff is great and very knowledge about the area. They even hosted a a free crawfish boil when I was there that was a lot of fun. Very friendly atmosphere with international travelers. I would go back.

• 2nd May 2014

You'all rock!!!!

• 30th Apr 2014

Had an amazing stay at India House, met some great people and the breakky was incredible! Definitely staying there again when I'm back in New Orleans.

• 30th Apr 2014

Cool hostel , you meet travelers from around the world.

Very fun place to stay! Lots of areas to socialize and yet my sleeping place was nice and far away from that. I will say that the girl on staff was originally not so friendly about the "cash only" rule, sassing to us that "it's ALL OVER the Web site," though myself and the girl in front of me were unaware. However, she earned points back by calling the manager and allowing the girl to pay on her card. Otherwise, staff was lovely, rooms seemed clean, LOVED the big blanket.

We were greeted by a friendly girl who showed us around the place and made us feel at home. It is a very laid back hostel with mostly young, open-minded travellers. Very easy to meet people from all over the world there. We loved that it had a pool so we could go for a dip in the morning. They also serve meals which was very handy if you needed a quick, cheap ($5) bite. Very chill atmosphere. Definitely worth the money!

• 29th Apr 2014