India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

The place had a good vibe like a bunch of friends hanging out. The sleeping quarters were less than greatl. We killed a live roach before our bags were unpacked. That didn't freak me out too much because I'm from Florida! The overstuffed chair was dirty and spewing forth stuffing. Also a cushioned seat was a bit grimy. Too bad cuz it wouldn't take much to have clean furnishings. The bathroom a bit shabby w/plywood but clean enuf to shower w/flip-flops. Funky is cool, dirty is uncool. Fun place!

• 28th Apr 2015

Nice and friendly staff, good value for money. Couldn't book rooms in person had to use the net which was annoying. But over all was a great place to stay

• 28th Apr 2015
  • New Zealand

Everyone on the staff was very helpful, it's in a great location and the people staying were very cool. I will be back.

• 27th Apr 2015

This was my second time staying at India House and I loved it just as much the second time. It's a really cool, clean, friendly hostel.

I stayed in a 12 bed dorm but there were on 6 lockers.

I have stayed in many hostels and can honestly say this is the worst I've stayed in over the last few years. The staff were over-worked, the room was boxy and mouldy, the facilities are nearing the end of their life. I actually had to use a plunger on a toilet when someone else had clogged it and it wouldn't flush. The bathroom facilities are pretty gross. If it had not been for the fact that Jazzfest is a very expensive time to stay in NOLA I would definitely have stayed somewhere else.

Great people. Helluva good time.

• 24th Apr 2015

Great place

This is a good place to meet people. The pool and yard area are a nice touch, the common rooms are homey, and the kitchen is fully functional. There are a limited number of bathrooms in the main part of the house, and they're not always extremely clean. Some of the staff is not the most friendly, but others are exceptional.

not for everyone but fantastic if you value real people and good times

Good hostel

Every person of the staff are not really friendly.. But the atmosphere with the others travelers is awesome if you're not too shy. I was traveling alone and I met awesome people there.

The hostel is located about a 10 minute tram ride out of town. We weren't too fussed with the distance, although next time I visit New Orleans, I think I would prefer to stay closer to the French Quarter. India House was a cool little place to stay. The rooms were basic, but it is what it is. The staff were helpful. Just remember to bring your own towel, towels are not supplied by the hostel.

While the location made it hard to park with limited space, the rest of the experience was quite pleasant. We only spent one night, but I would do it again. Staff was nice, and was helpful. Place was clean and maintained. Even the guests were friendly.

• 18th Apr 2015

you get what you pay for, really no complaints from me though it has everything you need and is very close to the cable car which is a convenient ride down to the French quarter

I don't recommned this place to anyone , if is so unclean and dirty and smelly , very inconvenient bathes, bad facilities , uncomfortable bed and weird atmosphere , not safe enough for women as the staff is not strict about the rules . Only the common place is good and it's location is good too It is the worst experience on hostels I have

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Egypt

Very friendly cat! :)

I loved this place - unlike any hostel I've ever stayed in. It's so easy to get to the best bits of NOLA from here and there are loads of things in walking distance too. The people were great and it had everything one would need (the pool was awesome). It might not be the cleanest hostel in the world but it makes up for that in character.

It was very hard to feel comfortable here because it was so dirty. The bathrooms, the dorms, the kitchen all had dust and dirt hanging from walls to floor. The staff was doing the best they could. It needs a serious cleaning, painting and furniture update. There need to be hooks and shelving/cubbies in the dorms and bathrooms. Tiles in bathroom broken. Toilet seats were ill-fitted. We did not want to hang out here and left and stayed away as long as possible.

• 13th Apr 2015

The people we met at the hostel were excellent. .the staff were not. They were a bit rude and non informational. .there was also a cat inhabiting the hostel which I did not know and there was nothing on the website about it. And I am highly allergic to cats and had a bad allergic reaction. I stayed at this location 2 years ago prior to last week and had a great experience. This stay however. . Was not. I most likely will not stay here again

• 13th Apr 2015