India House Backpackers Hostel Reviews

124 South Lopez St, New Orleans, USA

My friend and I, both 26-year old women, had a very pleasant stay at the India House hostel for three nights. We were a little bit apprehensive about the very youth-hostel vibe of the place, and were concerned that it would be very noisy late into the night, but it was not. We were fortunate to have a room that was far enough from the pool deck that we were totally undisturbed by the noise of the guests drinking by the pool until the early morning hours. The location is very convenient.

• 24th May 2014

I´ve been there to Memorial Day weekend, 2014. Good points: excellent price, flexible check-in time, great people, best location, staff nice and help, best prices to tour. Bad points: two bathroom to all people in the hostel to share with male and female,unclean, the staffs come to female rooms sometimes to help new guest. The best one is because I was traveling alone and I met nice people there to hang out.

Great atmosphere, good location away from the touristy madness of the Quarter but close to the trolley on Canal Street, free parking, and a POOL! I didn't realize how great an asset that would be until I felt the New Orleans humidity. The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful, but they often seemed really busy -- you just need to catch them at the right time! Great value for your money; I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone planning a trip to the Big Easy.

Great place and people but a little lick of paint would do no harm.

• 22nd May 2014

Cheap party hostel for a party town. Not a very friendly vibe on arrival.People coming and going at all hours.Good place for meeting people to party with.The staff seem a bit aloof /not very helpful when asking for directions or finding out about tours /not interested in making sure people have a good stay.They don't except credit cards but do have an ATM.Breakfast not included.Bathrooms dodgy, clean sometimes,no lockers.You get what you pay for and not much sleep even when you're not partying.

The atmosphere in this hostel is awesome, everyone I met was really interesting and cool.

I stayed at the India House for 6 nights in May 2014 in the 8 men room. To make it short... I had an amazing time there and I would definitely recommend it ! It is right next to two citiycars which will take you either to French Quarter or to the cemeteries and the city park. The room was clean, the kitchen was great, the restrooms were always clean , you could always find great people to hang out with, the pool was lovely, aah I had a great time there.

• 21st May 2014
  • Austria

Great atmoshphere; however, the statt was unfriendly at some times. they have 7 people living there as staff members but there was no coffee there half the time (how much effort is it to make coffee even if you're not on duty?) Also, points off for only using disposable , cups and so on... I felt bad about the environment every time I had food there. While they do provide a kitchen, there was no basics such as salt or oil there which made cooking quite impossible.

My first hostel experience and I loved it! Pool, bar, laid back staff, very artsy awesome vibe. Fridges to keep your own food and booze. Not in a busy part of town, but the canal st trolley is RIGHT next to it so you can get through New Orleans on the cheap. Also, if you new a cab, use United. Highly recommend India House! Lots of accommodations for very little money and no lockout time. Can't say enough good things.

• 20th May 2014

India House rules. Funky atmosphere, friendly staff, lots of awesome people. I had so much fun while I was there. The only downside was that, while the neighborhood was pretty convenient, I didn't feel safe walking around at night. That said, the hostel felt like a totally safe environment. And the front desk staff will happily call a cab for you if you ask.

• 20th May 2014

Always been a great time.

• 19th May 2014

Best hostel ever. Location is good. Common area is big and good to meet people and hang around. Staff is really nice, friendly and helpful. Kenny is very nice. Had a great time!!! Make a good choice and stay there.

good hostel, easy to meet other travellers, had a good stay, easy to book tours, and the $5 dollar dinner was good every night.

I really enjoyed my stay at the India House Hostel, I met some great people and New Orleans is a truly magical place. The location is pretty good, the streetcar stop is a 30sec walk, and comes along every 5 mins and takes about 15 to get to the french quarter. I had no problems with safety, or security. The staff have varying temperaments but are helpful. Basically this is a cheap base, it's not the cleanest but it was perfect for me when I just wanted to meet people and enjoy New Orleans.

• 17th May 2014

We very much enjoyed our stay at the India House Backpackers Hostel. The staff and pool were great, the company was excellent. We enjoyed how close the hostel was to Canal street, the meals provided, and the daily information board.

• 17th May 2014

Awesome people and great atmosphere. Could've stayed here all night and probably had add good of a time as we did in the city.

• 16th May 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

We had a wonderful time, hope you continue renovating and upgrading the rooms, we loved the brand new one we stayed in.

I enjoyed my stay at India House. My only complaint is that my room had a weird smell that I can't even begin to describe. It was very unpleasant. But overall my stay was fine and the location was perfect.

• 15th May 2014

Perfect New Orleans atmosphere! The staff was friendly and helpful. Only complaint was the bed. Hard to get in and out of (because of placement next to shelf) and very uncomfortable. But I will definitely plan to stay there again on my next visit!

• 14th May 2014

Overall an excellant experience. I'd never stayed at a hostel before but I definitely will again. High quality, cheap food served in house. India House and New Orleans both have a great personality, recommend highly.

• 14th May 2014