Jalan-Jalan Emas Reviews

8, Jalan Tukang Emas, Melaka, Malaysia

One of the best hostels I've stayed in Malaysia. Awesome, super friendly stuff, social atmosphere, location middle in Chinatown. There was sometimes no hit water, but who cares, it's hot anyway;)

Room was very hot, fan a bit weak, and mosquitos were feasting on us at night. Thank goodness for the mosquito net, although they were able to bit my hands and feet so much anyway through the net – the square kind might be much more comfortable, and perhaps easier to stay tucked-in. Bathrooms downstairs a bit inconvenient, but what to do in such a tiny place? Overall good value for the money.

The best things about this hostel are the staff and the location. The staff (while I was there) were all backpackers and travelling themselves. This made for a great atmosphere in the hostel. The location is just of Jonker street which is great. The only slight bad point for is there is no a/c in the large dorm room. And no protection from Mosquitos, I was bitten a lot and badly.

The location of this place was great, as were the staff. We did have a lot of problems with mosquitoes even though we had a net. It looked like there may have been some pots of standing water nearby for the mosquitoes to breed in, so we had to stay inside the mosquito net any time we were in the room. The place definitely had a bit of a rustic feel, and even though we were indoors, it still felt like we were outside. We ended up moving to a place next door that had air conditioning.

Easy location to walk to every where! Good single beds with individual fans each!

Very cheap and you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with this place, but not especially good either. Staff not great.

Stayed in the 10-bed dorm, which is not as hot and stuffy as it sounds as everyone has their own fan. Toilets and showers were cleaner than I was expecting. Only down side was being woken up at the crack of dawn by the mosque's call to prayer, but I guess that's all part of the cultural experience.

The hostel had a very charming atmosphere and was very well kept. The only improvement I can suggest is to increase the water pressure for the showers. The water flow was slow and it was inconvenient to shower in.

• 11th Sep 2015
  • Malaysia

Really enjoyed our time at Jalan-Jalan Emas. The chill atmosphere in the common area was great for hanging out, having drinks, and getting to know other travellers. Free tea was really nice, and 5RN bike rental makes seeing Melaka super easy. I would highly recommend staying here to anyone visiting the city, as it's right in the exciting old core. Make sure to find the shop selling 2RN noodles right around the corner!

• 10th Sep 2015

I enjoyed this place. It's run by backpackers, and feels very comfortable and homely. My only issue was the millions of mosquitoes, you need but spray on at all times, but that's not the fault of the hostel.

Great little hostel right in the centre of old Town Melaka! All the staff are super friendly and its a real small place so you get to know everyone right away and have a good time from night to night!

The bed was no good

What a great stay we had! Got a small welcome evening and party when we arrived at the hostel by the staff and other backpackers. Atmosphere is so easy going, relaxed and friendly. We got to see a lot of the city (also due to the great location with shops, cafés, temples and sights at the same or on the parallell streets) but also met great people. The famous night market is just one crossing street away so you are in the pulsing heart of Melaka. Will for sure go back again. Thank you so much!

Nice hostel. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Decent social area and group outings for dinner (so you get to know everyone). Lockers and lots of bathrooms. My only criticism is that the main dorm is very large and doesn't have AC - as a result, I received a lot of mosquito bites.

The host, especially Rodrigo, were really friendly, helpful and accomodating. The location of the hostel is very strategic, right in the middle of Melaka town. There is also a bicycle rental next door, and the place comes with a small cozy living area with free tea, coffee and wifi. We stayed in the 10bed mixed dorm, and though it was a little bit stuffy, the individual bed fans helped alot, and made the place really comfortable to stay. Great value for money and really friendly people.

• 15th Aug 2015