Kunming Upland International Youth Hostel Reviews

92 Hua Shan Xi Lu, Kunming, China

In general the Upland Hostel was pretty good, and the location was very convenient. I enjoyed my stay there and would possibly stay there again if I needed a hostel in Kunming. However, a few of the staff members seemed a little bit rude, and pretty much anyone could walk in or out of the hostel without proof that they were lodging there, all doors were often left open so it didn't feel that secure. Also, the food was not very good. The dorm room beds are a great deal for their price though!

• 21st Feb 2015

The first thing I was asked when I checked in was whether I speak Chinese. Despite the fact that I do, I wouldn't expect this question at an international youth hostel (and I would expect the receptionist to be able to speak some decent English). Also, I would have expected a little more readiness to help their customers booking tickets, recommending places to go etc. If you don't insist on it nothing will happen. So, okay hostel - staff, well....

The friendliness of front staff can be much improved with their way of giving help on directions to places and tone in English. They were very to the point and not a whole lot of conversation. Unwelcoming, to say the least. Towels being borrowed is 5kuai and 25kuai to have. You mind as well provide them to guests because other hostels have done so. I like the facilities, however. Most importantly, hot water for showering. Decor of the common area is comfy and suitable to Kunming.

Did NOT like this place. This is a huge hostel with a lot of guests, and we came at a busy time of year, but they only had one person working at the desk. Thus it was really hard to get advice from staff about making plans, and they often just said, "You can't do that." One staffperson in particular was a nice person but probably shouldn't be in this job, as she didn't know basic facts about the town or traveling and could hardly speak English. (But even in Chinese she wasn't very helpful.)

This hostel was very well kept and in a very good location for some of Kunming's main sites - particularly Yuantong Temple and Green Lake Park. There is a very nice cafe / bar area with a pool table. My only slight complaint was that the staff at the front desk were slightly unhelpful and abrupt.

Hello: Thank you for our review, And Thank you for your advice, we will strengthen the training. Have nice tirp upland

I enjoyed a lot being so near of Cuihu park. The atmosphere in the common living room was the best, made lots of friends.

Hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. UPLAND YHA

The receptionist is very kind.and have many different flowers in the gostel.

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Iceland

Very good,nice hostel.

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Bahrain

it is so beautiful

• Belarus

The yard and mini bar is cosy. It's easy to go to the shopping and eating. In general , not bad.

• Philippines

It's really nice one hostel in kuming.

• Finland

Apart from one of the girls at in the reception who was extremely helpful when I tried to find the things I lost, most of the staff was pretty arrogant and more interesting in chatting and having fun themselves than helping the guests. The atmosphere and people staying at the hostel were nice though and the vibe in the bar area. I would probably recommend people to stay at the other International Youth Hostel more central instead of this one, that one was much better according to me.

We arrived to check in earlier than we were able to so we left our bags and came back after a few hours only to be told people had decided not to check out so there were no beds available. We were kindly taken to the sister hostel, Cloudland,where we were given a room with only 3 beds and told 2 of us could just share even though we paid for four people. We also paid for meals that were missing ingredients or were cold or bad tasting. The staff at Cloudland we're very unfriendly and unhelpful.

• 17th Jan 2015

Really pleasant staff and the location was perfect. My room was clean and well maintained. The wifi in the rooms didn't work but it worked just fine in the restaurant.

It was shockingly clean for the price! The bar is a great place to hang out, the staff was very nice and helpfu. Best hostel I have stayed at in China by far!

The hostel is on the quiet side of the city centre . Staff are friendly and helpful. Strong wifi connection . Not so good is that the local non staying guests played pool until the wee hours of the night at the sitting room cum bar area.

Dear, Thank you for you stay in our hostel. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA

Close to the lake, nice bar/common area to meet other travelers

HELLO: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff.

Staff wasn't the friendliest I have met and they were just there their jobs and not really enjoying it. First hostel I have been to where you have to turn in your bed sheet and pillow case during checkout. Cold water showers after a certain time. It was good location and have really chilled atmosphere otherwise. Wonderful decors and activities.

Hello Thank you for you advice We will improve as soon as possible, We try our best to offer the nicer place for the guests stay in. Welcome to back here again if you have free time . YHA VICKY

This hostel was too far away from the city center (even though it was not too far away from the lake): the feeling was to be in the middle of nowhere. There were only two toilets for a 16 beds dorm, and in one of them the door couldn't be closed. Also, there was a bad smell nearby. The sinks were only outside on a balcony, and it was not so nice to have to get out all the time we needed to use it. The personal didn't give us a map (which would have been helpful).

The room was cold and the wifi could only work at the common room which was outside and therefore cold to be there

« first « Prev 1 2 3