Kunming Upland International Youth Hostel Reviews

92 Hua Shan Xi Lu, Kunming, China

I would not stay at this hostel. Staff are very unhelpful. No one speaks English

It was ok. The food was good, facilities were nice and they had helpful info available. The lounge area was sort trying too hard to be a bar when people really just wanted to look at their guide books. Their staff wasn't wildly helpful with travel planning. The absolute best moment was when a girl demanded we fill out a survey while we were trying to leave and she sort of just yelled at us to do it. It's all pretty popular with chinese families who took lots of pictures of all the foreigners.

• 27th Feb 2015

In general the Upland Hostel was pretty good, and the location was very convenient. I enjoyed my stay there and would possibly stay there again if I needed a hostel in Kunming. However, a few of the staff members seemed a little bit rude, and pretty much anyone could walk in or out of the hostel without proof that they were lodging there, all doors were often left open so it didn't feel that secure. Also, the food was not very good. The dorm room beds are a great deal for their price though!

• 21st Feb 2015

The first thing I was asked when I checked in was whether I speak Chinese. Despite the fact that I do, I wouldn't expect this question at an international youth hostel (and I would expect the receptionist to be able to speak some decent English). Also, I would have expected a little more readiness to help their customers booking tickets, recommending places to go etc. If you don't insist on it nothing will happen. So, okay hostel - staff, well....

HELLO: Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly take it into consideration and use it to improve. We hope that if you return to Kunming you will decide to stay with us again. Hopefully we will meet your expectations. Kind regards

The friendliness of front staff can be much improved with their way of giving help on directions to places and tone in English. They were very to the point and not a whole lot of conversation. Unwelcoming, to say the least. Towels being borrowed is 5kuai and 25kuai to have. You mind as well provide them to guests because other hostels have done so. I like the facilities, however. Most importantly, hot water for showering. Decor of the common area is comfy and suitable to Kunming.

Hi, Firstly, thank you very much for your advice. We will certainly take you comments into consideration regarding the front desk staff and the level and friendliness of service provided. Regarding the towels, however, we did at one point provide such ameneties free of charge, but decided to change our policy as so many things went missing. We hope you decide to stay with us again next time you visit. Kind regards UPLAND

Did NOT like this place. This is a huge hostel with a lot of guests, and we came at a busy time of year, but they only had one person working at the desk. Thus it was really hard to get advice from staff about making plans, and they often just said, "You can't do that." One staffperson in particular was a nice person but probably shouldn't be in this job, as she didn't know basic facts about the town or traveling and could hardly speak English. (But even in Chinese she wasn't very helpful.)

Hi, I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We are making some changes at the moment and will use your comments to improve our service. We hope to meet your expectations next time you come to visit . Thank you for your feedback. Kind regards UPLAND

The only hostel that I ever stayed telling me to take the bed sheet downstairs when checking out

This hostel was very well kept and in a very good location for some of Kunming's main sites - particularly Yuantong Temple and Green Lake Park. There is a very nice cafe / bar area with a pool table. My only slight complaint was that the staff at the front desk were slightly unhelpful and abrupt.

Hello: Thank you for our review, And Thank you for your advice, we will strengthen the training. Have nice tirp upland

I enjoyed a lot being so near of Cuihu park. The atmosphere in the common living room was the best, made lots of friends.

Hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. UPLAND YHA

The receptionist is very kind.and have many different flowers in the gostel.

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Iceland

Very good,nice hostel.

• 31st Jan 2015
  • Bahrain

it is so beautiful

• Belarus

The yard and mini bar is cosy. It's easy to go to the shopping and eating. In general , not bad.

• Philippines

It's really nice one hostel in kuming.

• Finland

Apart from one of the girls at in the reception who was extremely helpful when I tried to find the things I lost, most of the staff was pretty arrogant and more interesting in chatting and having fun themselves than helping the guests. The atmosphere and people staying at the hostel were nice though and the vibe in the bar area. I would probably recommend people to stay at the other International Youth Hostel more central instead of this one, that one was much better according to me.

We arrived to check in earlier than we were able to so we left our bags and came back after a few hours only to be told people had decided not to check out so there were no beds available. We were kindly taken to the sister hostel, Cloudland,where we were given a room with only 3 beds and told 2 of us could just share even though we paid for four people. We also paid for meals that were missing ingredients or were cold or bad tasting. The staff at Cloudland we're very unfriendly and unhelpful.

• 17th Jan 2015

Really pleasant staff and the location was perfect. My room was clean and well maintained. The wifi in the rooms didn't work but it worked just fine in the restaurant.

It was shockingly clean for the price! The bar is a great place to hang out, the staff was very nice and helpfu. Best hostel I have stayed at in China by far!

The hostel is on the quiet side of the city centre . Staff are friendly and helpful. Strong wifi connection . Not so good is that the local non staying guests played pool until the wee hours of the night at the sitting room cum bar area.

Dear, Thank you for you stay in our hostel. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA

Close to the lake, nice bar/common area to meet other travelers

HELLO: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff.

« first « Prev 1 2 3