Kunming Upland International Youth Hostel Reviews

92 Hua Shan Xi Lu, Kunming, China

The room was cold and the wifi could only work at the common room which was outside and therefore cold to be there

非常好,下次还要这里,是个休闲的好地方

• 27th Oct 2014
  • China

你好: 谢谢你点评,期待您的下次光临! 祝好 昆明倾城国际青年旅舍

Clean the toilets regularly several times a day. Add more showers and toilets per floor especially the dorm floors. Improve staff attitude.

This hostel isn't really near much, and was predominately filled with Asian tourists, so the atmosphere was lacking a bit (I can't speak Chinese). Staff were okay and it was nice and clean

Located in the beautiful Green Lake Park area just behind its namesake hotel, Upland is one of the more impressive hostels I've stayed in. The dorm room was spacious, modern and clean and there's even a little balcony area to hang clothes out. The bar/restaurant has a nice selection of beers and the food is good, perfect place to talk to other travellers. One person (may have been the owner) was smoking here which I didn't like regardless of this being China. Staff are very helpful. Great hostel

Really nice room with spacious, comfortable, clean beds. Wifi didn't work well in the rooms but it did in the lounge. Food was overpriced and just fair tasting, but the common room was really nice. Staff English is only fair. Because the facilities were so great, we'd definitely stay again.

hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. UPLAND YHA

Hostel was okay - the recreation room next to the mountain dorm didn't have any doors (so it was often chilly) and the washing basins were located outside - staff always seemed a bit busy, but tried to help, although I think it's a shame to call yourself an international hostel and not have an English map - even the Chinese map wasn't any good... the bar area was nice to hang out!

All round good hostel, great atmosphere in the cafe (not to mention great prices). Ensuite double rooms are excellent value.

I only stayed one night but it was a beautiful hostel. The rooms where nice and the bed was pretty comfortable. I was disappointed that you could only access the wifi in the bar/care which was generally quite loud. Also, all outside food and drink must be consumed in the outside common area, which would be fine, except that it rains while I was there so that was not very convenient.

hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Now we installed 2 light thousand, the room also can surf the Internet. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA

Beautiful hostel. Staff we had wasn't very experienced, but one girl (with bangs) did go the extra mile in arranging our bus tickets, even though it was very busy (golden week).

It is a charming place with excellent food. The deluxe double room was nice and clean. I just felt that there was a lot of smoking (smoking is allowed any time in the courtyard and after 7pm in the main room) which made spending time in these areas very unpleasant.

hello: thank you stay our hostel . Thank you for giving us some Suggestions. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. UPLAND YHA

I did feel that the bar upstairs could benefit from a little more knowledge in food related English terms, especially when it comes to food allergies and special requirements. Other than that, the place was really clean and on point. The restrooms could use a quick mop every now and then. The floors get filthy quickly, especially on rainy days, but that's to be expected.

Our stay at Kunming was okay. Not the best place we've been but not awful either. Only a few staff members spoke english and ordering food at the bar was always a struggle - do not order the upland burger! Got told that the beef was not good for foreigners.. we fear it may be dog.

The courtyard atmosphere sealed the deal for me and they served a decent coffee and breakfast. I would return to this hostel and would recommend to others. It is a friendly and social atmosphere which is important in the backpacking world.

i m not a big fans of this hostels and i may consider other hostels if they got beds available with similar prize. RMB45 per bed in a 8 beds dorms would be a bit costly in kunming

Was under construction when i stayed there so there were a lot of noice and issues with the water and electricity. Wish they could have informed me (and the others who stayed there) about this so we could have chosen a other place. Instead i had water leaking from the cealing, overflooding bathroom and other issues. But the main issue that i had/saw about the place was that i saw rats in the kitchen. Staff were exelent though, only thing that made me stay for the whole duration.

This hostel is great! Lovely staff, good food, nice common room and roof terrace. The room was a bit small and the facilities more average than nice but they had renovation works going on while we were there for most of their rooms. I can only recommend staying here.

Hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. UPLAND YHA

I spent three comfortable days at this hostel while waiting for my Vietnam visa. I really liked the decor and the laid back atmosphere, my room was basic but comfortable with a big bathroom and had a channel with movies in English. That was a nice surprise. The wallpaper looked old but the entire hostel is undergoing renovations so hopefully that should be taken care of soon. The staff is very busy but still found time to help me with my queries. Very decent level of English in my opinion.

Hello: Thank you for your evaluation. we already change the new wallpaper. Thank you for your understanding of our work Have a nice trip YHA

Good hostel in a good location - happened to feel a bit quiet when we were there.

hello: Thank you for your evaluation. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA

this hostel's main meeting area for making friends is the restaurant cum bar cum wifi hotspot cum movie and tv lounge, and this is where it gets my brownie points, folks, for, get this, smoking is not allowed here from dawn to dusk (7 pm to be exact). In case u didn't already know, the entire province of yunnan is a smoker's paradise, unlike civilised chinese cities like beijing, shanghai, shenzhen and of course hong kong. To cut to the chase, if u abhor cigarette smoke, head for upland!

hello: Dear, Thank you for you stay in our hostel. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA