Kunming Upland International Youth Hostel Reviews

92 Hua Shan Xi Lu, Kunming, China

Very well done.

Dear, Thank you for you stay in our hostel. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA

We were only at this hostel overnight but overall it was a comfortable stay. Good location within short walking distance of Green Lake park. Our double room with ensuite was clean and functional. The shower had nice hot water but the water pressure was borderline on the second floor. Front desk staff were efficient but a bit abrupt.

hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. UPLAND YHA

The place is wonderful and so was the staff. The only problem was wi-fi connections in the private room. I was on the 4th floor and had to keep going downstairs to use my computer . The other problem was I had alot of gear to carry and having no elevator until the first floor made it difficult. (not your fault). The food served at your bar restaurant looked wonder. I only had breakfast but would love to try another meal.

• 8th Mar 2015

Hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. UPLAND YHA

The bed is very comfortable.

• 6th Mar 2015
  • Benin

I just have something wrong with my arm,they gaven me too much help,thank you very much everone.Have nice time everyday!

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Antarctica

HM dorm is a good palce to reading .

• 5th Mar 2015
  • Algeria

The receptionist is very lovely!

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Angola

nice place. I really love the yard.

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Andorra

The receptionist is very busy,when they not ,chat with them is very nice.The have much information on the wall ,usefull for the ones who first come kunming.

• 3rd Mar 2015
  • Albania

I would not stay at this hostel. Staff are very unhelpful. No one speaks English

Hi, Thank you stay our hostel . We are making some changes at the moment and will use your comments to improve our service. We hope to meet your expectations next time you come to visit . Thank you for your feedback. Kind regards

It was ok. The food was good, facilities were nice and they had helpful info available. The lounge area was sort trying too hard to be a bar when people really just wanted to look at their guide books. Their staff wasn't wildly helpful with travel planning. The absolute best moment was when a girl demanded we fill out a survey while we were trying to leave and she sort of just yelled at us to do it. It's all pretty popular with chinese families who took lots of pictures of all the foreigners.

Hi, Thank you for you stay our hostel . We are making some changes at the moment and will use your comments to improve our service. We hope to meet your expectations next time you come to visit . Thank you for your feedback. Kind regards

Great location near the edge of Cuihu Park, easy to find. Very relaxed atmosphere with lots of places to hang out. Dorms and bathrooms clean and lockers are fairly large. Only minor complaint is that shower sandals are not provided.

Hi, We hope to meet your expectations next time you come to visit . Thank you for your feedback. Kind regards

In general the Upland Hostel was pretty good, and the location was very convenient. I enjoyed my stay there and would possibly stay there again if I needed a hostel in Kunming. However, a few of the staff members seemed a little bit rude, and pretty much anyone could walk in or out of the hostel without proof that they were lodging there, all doors were often left open so it didn't feel that secure. Also, the food was not very good. The dorm room beds are a great deal for their price though!

• 21st Feb 2015

The first thing I was asked when I checked in was whether I speak Chinese. Despite the fact that I do, I wouldn't expect this question at an international youth hostel (and I would expect the receptionist to be able to speak some decent English). Also, I would have expected a little more readiness to help their customers booking tickets, recommending places to go etc. If you don't insist on it nothing will happen. So, okay hostel - staff, well....

HELLO: Thank you very much for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and will certainly take it into consideration and use it to improve. We hope that if you return to Kunming you will decide to stay with us again. Hopefully we will meet your expectations. Kind regards

A really cool hostel with excellent communal spaces. The staff in the restaurant were excellent, just a little less friendly at the check-in counter. The only problem is finding it because it's on a side street and I didn't bring a big enough printout and it wasn't in Chinese. Both it and its partner hostel, Cloudland, are great places and I'd be lucky to stay at either if I'm back in Kunming.

The friendliness of front staff can be much improved with their way of giving help on directions to places and tone in English. They were very to the point and not a whole lot of conversation. Unwelcoming, to say the least. Towels being borrowed is 5kuai and 25kuai to have. You mind as well provide them to guests because other hostels have done so. I like the facilities, however. Most importantly, hot water for showering. Decor of the common area is comfy and suitable to Kunming.

Hi, Firstly, thank you very much for your advice. We will certainly take you comments into consideration regarding the front desk staff and the level and friendliness of service provided. Regarding the towels, however, we did at one point provide such ameneties free of charge, but decided to change our policy as so many things went missing. We hope you decide to stay with us again next time you visit. Kind regards UPLAND

Did NOT like this place. This is a huge hostel with a lot of guests, and we came at a busy time of year, but they only had one person working at the desk. Thus it was really hard to get advice from staff about making plans, and they often just said, "You can't do that." One staffperson in particular was a nice person but probably shouldn't be in this job, as she didn't know basic facts about the town or traveling and could hardly speak English. (But even in Chinese she wasn't very helpful.)

Hi, I'm really sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We are making some changes at the moment and will use your comments to improve our service. We hope to meet your expectations next time you come to visit . Thank you for your feedback. Kind regards UPLAND

The only hostel that I ever stayed telling me to take the bed sheet downstairs when checking out

This hostel was very well kept and in a very good location for some of Kunming's main sites - particularly Yuantong Temple and Green Lake Park. There is a very nice cafe / bar area with a pool table. My only slight complaint was that the staff at the front desk were slightly unhelpful and abrupt.

Hello: Thank you for our review, And Thank you for your advice, we will strengthen the training. Have nice tirp upland

I enjoyed a lot being so near of Cuihu park. The atmosphere in the common living room was the best, made lots of friends.