Kunming Upland International Youth Hostel Reviews

92 Hua Shan Xi Lu, Kunming, China

The courtyard atmosphere sealed the deal for me and they served a decent coffee and breakfast. I would return to this hostel and would recommend to others. It is a friendly and social atmosphere which is important in the backpacking world.

i m not a big fans of this hostels and i may consider other hostels if they got beds available with similar prize. RMB45 per bed in a 8 beds dorms would be a bit costly in kunming

Was under construction when i stayed there so there were a lot of noice and issues with the water and electricity. Wish they could have informed me (and the others who stayed there) about this so we could have chosen a other place. Instead i had water leaking from the cealing, overflooding bathroom and other issues. But the main issue that i had/saw about the place was that i saw rats in the kitchen. Staff were exelent though, only thing that made me stay for the whole duration.

This hostel is great! Lovely staff, good food, nice common room and roof terrace. The room was a bit small and the facilities more average than nice but they had renovation works going on while we were there for most of their rooms. I can only recommend staying here.

Hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. UPLAND YHA

I spent three comfortable days at this hostel while waiting for my Vietnam visa. I really liked the decor and the laid back atmosphere, my room was basic but comfortable with a big bathroom and had a channel with movies in English. That was a nice surprise. The wallpaper looked old but the entire hostel is undergoing renovations so hopefully that should be taken care of soon. The staff is very busy but still found time to help me with my queries. Very decent level of English in my opinion.

Hello: Thank you for your evaluation. we already change the new wallpaper. Thank you for your understanding of our work Have a nice trip YHA

Good hostel in a good location - happened to feel a bit quiet when we were there.

hello: Thank you for your evaluation. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA

this hostel's main meeting area for making friends is the restaurant cum bar cum wifi hotspot cum movie and tv lounge, and this is where it gets my brownie points, folks, for, get this, smoking is not allowed here from dawn to dusk (7 pm to be exact). In case u didn't already know, the entire province of yunnan is a smoker's paradise, unlike civilised chinese cities like beijing, shanghai, shenzhen and of course hong kong. To cut to the chase, if u abhor cigarette smoke, head for upland!

hello: Dear, Thank you for you stay in our hostel. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA

Stayed at both hostels and probably preferred this one although we did have to ask to change rooms as we were just outside the sink area where some nice Chinese 'gentleman' seemed to need to bring up phlegm with monotonous regularity over at least a two hour period and then again the next morning. Would have liked an area were we could eat in a smoke free environment. Food was good.

The hostel has two divided buildings that face each other, so people from the other dorm could look into our room (even bathroom since the door is clear!), which was inconvenient cause we couldnt open the curtains. You have to ask the staff to clean your room, they won't do it if you don't say anything. Shower was very nice; wifi reception wasn't good. We tried some Chinese dishes and they were OK but not as good as on the streets.

just very nice overall. could rent a bike, the bar they have is lively like all the time and they offer good breakfast, food and drinks. internet no problems. definitely recommendable

a lot of travel info

• 20th Aug 2014

nice bar and beautiful garden

• Austria

a nice place to stay!

• 20th Aug 2014

The hostel was Great, though the beds a little hard. great little bar/restaurant very helpful staff

Nice hostel in Kunming, close to the lake and the food/bar street (10-15 minutes walk), but slightly far from the commercial center of Jinbi Lu. The staff is really helpful though, and a big thank you to Enid whose English is amazing and helped me book a place to stay in my next location! :)

In 6 bed female dorm only 4 lockers, apparently no age rules, woman and her ~8 year old daughter in dorm :S. Big luggage storage, but no one enforcing security so store at own risk. Great facilities for hand washing and hang drying clothes. Wifi in bar and courtyard common area. Toilets smelly when not covered up by the smell of incense. Aside from one girl who helped me get some very important documents printed at a place nearby, the staff was indifferent and acted like giving info was a chore!

This was one of the better hostels I have been to in China with top-notch facilities and staff. It was very clean and secure. The common area was very welcoming and popular -- not at all forced. The staff were all very helpful and they had as many as 3 people working behind the counter at any given time. As Kunming was my first city in China, I found they lacked any ability to accomodate non-Chinese electrical plugs and had no recommendations whatsoever for how and where to get a converter.

the staff is really good.enjoy everything in upland.

• 11th Aug 2014
  • Macau

Upland is a nice tidy Hostel in a good location in Kunming. We've stayed to times there (at the beginning and the end of the trip). The first room was excellent, the second one was very little, although we've paid the same amount of money. So make sure, to ask for a large room! ;) The bar is great, with a lot of different beers. Overall a good hostel!

hello: Thank you for you stay in our hostel. Hepo see you again. Just enjoy your trip and best wishes from all of our staff. upland yha

1 2 Next » last »