Kunming Upland International Youth Hostel Reviews

92 Hua Shan Xi Lu, Kunming, China

Great hostel, great location, great cafe/bar! My only complaint was that the staff was not very friendly. Overall would recommend.

very nice hostel, clean, confortable, a nice bar and good food

Dear, Thank you for you stay in our hostel. just enjoy your trip .And best wishes from all of our hostel . We hope see you again. UPLAND YHA

The staff wasn't very attentive, didn't try to help much.

HELLO: Thank you for you advice We will improve as soon as possible, We try our best to offer the nicer place for the guests stay in. Welcome to back here again if you have free time . UPLAND YHA

This hostel has great potential...but wasted! It's a shame that the staff don't seem interested in interacting with travellers & would much rather stayed glued to their smartphones! It does not cost the earth to smile occasionally. The hostel does have a cool bar area where people can meet..But, do not expect a good nights sleep if your window faces directly into the adjacent garden as people are likely to be sat here chatting/making noise way into the night! The rooms were clean & spacious

Thank you for your feedback.We feel apolpgetic for paying too much energy to stay on our smartphones but didn't give you too much help as we can do.We will do some interactions with our guests.If you book our hostel next time,we will arrange another room for you,which should be much more quiet.Thank you for your feedback again,best wishes to you from every staff in Kunming Upland Youth Hostel.Hope you have a nice day every day~

Stayed twice, well thought out place. nice to have plenty of common area in and out of the bar/restaurant, also good there was no pressure to eat or drink if you wanted to sit (but cheap beer selection too). good outdoor area under the "mountain". I preferred the big Top Mountain dorm to the ones in the modern block. Helpful sightseeing and transportation info in the reception without trying to sell you a tour. recommend :)

Pros: perfect location, great facilities Cons: OMG the staff is so rude and unprofessionnal. Ive read comments about that on TripAdvisor and thought the people were complaning for nothing, but this is a real issue. I wouldnt mind if this hostel was in an english speaking country, but in China (as a non-chinese speaker) I rey a lot on the staff to help my book my transports. Each time, every day, every staff member seem to be bother a lot when we asked questions.

Thank you for your feedback. We are very sorry for making you unhappy when you stay here, we will pay attention to our behaviour,and do our best to help every guest. Beside, we will learn much more knowledge to improving our professionnal level.We are really very sorry for didn't helping you too much.From now on,we will solve every requirement for every guest politely.Thank you for your feedback again.Best wishes from every staff in Kunming Upland Youth Hostel.Hope you have a nice day every day~

I traveled 28 countries and always stayed at Youth Hostels. This was by far the best ever. We were stranded a couple of days after checking out, and even though we were not paying guests anymore they let us use the facilities, the lounge, internet, bar and restaurant... and they helped us find our way to our next destinations. Rooms were first class and the patio was beautiful, it made us not even want to go outside.

Nice hostel. Staff could have been a little more knowledgable and friendly but not too bad. Door a little hard to spot, it's up a side street. Rooms very clean and bathroom great. Awesome shower!

• 28th Jun 2015

This hostel is very good.There are many flowers in front of the reception,it's beautiful.The staff is very nice and friendly.I like to stay here,and I had a nice day here.

• 26th Jun 2015

This hostel is perfect.I like their bar,the music is pretty good.

• 26th Jun 2015

This hostel is very nice.The staff is courteous, and their food is very delicious.In short, every thing is very good,and I'm glad to stay here for one night in my journey.

• China

This hostel is very good.

• 25th Jun 2015
  • North Korea

Super nice hostel with a great location to the beautiful Green Lake Park and a really nice atmosphere at the hostel. You really want to spend the evenings here because you get to meet so many great people. A really nice one!

The atmosphere in the bar was great, really loved it! Wifi a bit dodgey though...

The hostel was pretty good overall, especially for the atmosphere. It's a bit far from everything, like the airport and bus stations, but Kunming is a pretty big city so it comes with the territory. The staff was incredibly unfriendly and unhelpful. We had to pry information out of them as they had their faces glued to their phones, and not once did we see them smile. Security-wise, the only negative is that anyone is free to roam in and out of the luggage room. Nevertheless, we still recommend.

Hi, Thanks for the feedback. We'll work on smiling : ) ... and pay a bit more attention next time. We usually accompany people into the luggage room. I fear the day you used it we may have been short on staff and trusted you, or someone else to only take their own bags, but I assure you these are very unusual circumstances. So far nobody has lost any luggage from the luggage room. Sorry for any inconvenience. UPLAND

The 16-bed dorm was really clean and atmospheric. The entire aesthetic is really nice at this place and it has a really good common space. My main complain is that the staff was not terribly friendly or helpful during my stay. I've found most staff members at other Chinese hostels to be excellent, so maybe my previous experiences have just set the bar really high.

Had two of the best nights here at the upland. Such a great vibe with a good mix of both foreigners and Chinese tourists making it a great social experience. The location was great, quite with local shops very close and only a 10-20 minute walk away from the main attractions in the city. Definitely worth the money as well.

I stayed in the hostel for a night when I arrived in Kunming, and then 2 nights when I returned from Dali and Lijiang. The hostel was in a good location, just a 2-min walk to the lake, and 15-min walk to wenlin street where the cafes/ eateries are. The hostel is next to the green lake hotel - if you need to tell the cab driver/ navigate, you can always use the hotel as a reference point. The rooms were simple but has everything you need. The upland bar/ cafe was nice place to chill out!

• 30th May 2015
  • Singapore

Beyond checking you in the staff at the front desk really couldn't care less about helping you. All the hire bikes are currently broken and not available for hire but they still keep the signs up. The bar staff are really nice and try hard and make good food. The hostel rooms, etc are good. The cleaners do a good job keeping on top of things.

HLLEO: Thank you for you advice We will improve as soon as possible, We try our best to offer the nicer place for the guests stay in. Welcome to back here again if you have free time . UPLAND YHA

Good but very noisy