La Casa de Cecilia Reviews

Av. 9 de Octubre, Mindo, Ecuador

Such a nice hostel! Great location right on the river with a garden that attracts hummingbirds and butterflys. The hostel is a series of wood huts that are really cosy. Everyone who works there is very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was really good too (few dollars extra). Hot water was a slight issue sometimes, but if you let them know they will sort it. Good place to meet other travellers too. Really nice place to chill, also internet was good for Mindo!

The hostel is very cosy and clean. The staff is extremely helpful and would organize everything for you: from tubing to reserving the tickets for the bus back to Quito. Showers are very good (good pressure+warm), the only downside is that you are not allowed to use the kitchen (although they were ok with me using some dishes). Definitely recommended.

One of the best hostels i've ever been at! The location is amazing, just by the river where the people of Mindo take their daily swim. The garden is full of hummingbirds and butterflies. The owners are so friendly and helpful. Only downside is that you're not allowed to use the kitchen (though you're perfectly welcome to borrow a plate, knife and fork if you do buy your own food)

• 2nd Oct 2014
  • Sweden

Nice hostel, not anything special but in a good location, staff was nice and helpful when we asked questions. Wish the kitchen was open to use to guests.

Others have said the security here was slack -I couldn`t lock my door and could have queried this but we never had a moments worry about our belongings, especially when I noticed the staff left their own doors open! If you`re super worried about it, it`s probably not the place for you but you`d be missing out on a really beautiful, relaxed and friendly hostel by a river you can swim in with wi-fi access in the dining area where for a few extra dollars you can get an excellent breakfast.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Scotland

Super charming! We were in love. Very helpful with organizing excursions. The "pool" was lovely, breakfast was nice, and the room was DARLING. Will definitely be visiting Mindo again and will definitely stay here a second time!

• 26th Sep 2014

Lovely riverside setting. Ideally located next to chocolate factory ( great tour but rip off for food and drink - bagel shop down rhw road does a good hot chocolate for half the price) hostel staff really friendly, informative and helpful. Breakfast is brill.

Nice hostel. Good location. Extremely thin walls, can hear everything going on next door and upstairs! Friendly helpful staff.

Lovely place with lots of hummingbirds and forest around. Reception not often staffed so sometimes a bit hard to find someone, but they were very helpful when you did.

Really nice place - great value!

Casa de Cecilia was well located next to El Quetzal chocolate factory (although Mindo is compact enough that most parts of town are easily accessible). The facility was charming (wooden huts) and value was excellent! Downsides include shoddy security (keys left at unmanned front desk) and staff that didn't fully speak English. Oh, and walls are paper thin so light sleepers beware.

• 22nd Aug 2014

Very good hostel with a chilled atmosphere, lacking a few lights and the use of kitchen facilities but very helpfull staff and good facilities otherwise. Would recommend to others looking for a relaxing stay.

Lovely wooden cabins to stay in. The only downside was that the walls were thin so could hear everything in the room next door. Great hot showers! Breakfast was tasty, but at an extra cost of $3. Couldn't check into our room later on as no staff were around (maybe 30 minutes). Other than that we really enjoyed our peaceful stay here!

The hostel was really nice, right next to a river with a small swimming hole (would be nice when the weather is better). The staff were helpful, although a little shy at first (I don't know how well they speak English though). The breakfast was good too. The location itself is convenient as its just a little off the main road and more quiet but still really close to the city center and the bus station.

Private room with bath was great. Nice hot showers. WiFi worked great in the common area. Clean and great location.

Really nice family run hostel, very helpful - will stay here again if I go back to Mindo!

• 1st Aug 2014

You cannot always find the staff for long periods of time during the day and night - reception is unattended a fair bit. Setting is fantastic though and located right near El Quetzal where you can do the chocolate tour from which also does good food.

Nice place by the river with lots of potential. Pity that the staff was so unfriendly. We asked if it was possible to stay one more night and couldn't get a clear answer. I asked them if they could recommend another place but they didn't want to. We booked 2 nights at another place and at check out, they mentioned we could stay......

Security on the bags wasn't great. I was able to walk in with no staff and open the bag storage area by myself. If I had had bad intentions, well, I could've taken everyone's bags! Otherwise, I had a great time here with my friends. The room was quite clean with a treehouse feel, and I had a better shower here than in Quito! The hammocks are a nice touch, and the staff were very helpful in organizing tours (tubing, zip-lining, etc.)

• 19th Jul 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. Cheap breakfast ($2.50), strong wifi connection and clean. As a solo traveler, I appreciated that a single room was offered at $9 . Staff was helpful with any tours (chocolate tour, birding, zip line, etc). My only issue is that I would leave my key on the desk and they weren't always at the desk to watch the keys (the keys were on the desk the whole time, not put away). With that being said, no one entered my room and I would definitely stay here again.