La Serrana Reviews

Via Palestina, La Serrana, Salento, Colombia

Nice quiet location & views if that is what you are looking for. Stay ruined by one statt member, told us we could do kettlebells at 7:30am, then meet the instructor who never heard this, does not have kettlebells nor weights!! Internet is terrible & same staff member said he was "too tired" to help all 4 of us to connect & to ask tomorrow!! Answer was always "well it works on my phone". Didnt appreciate his patronising manner on many occasions...too many to write here...

La Serrana is a gorgeous hostel, more like a country house, located an easy 1.5kms walk out of town. Perched on a hill with 360 degree views of the valley, it's a serene location. The rooms are absolutely spotless and are cleaned everyday. The staff are friendly, welcoming and knowledgable. The family style dinners are delicious and good value. All in all this was a great experience and I would highly recommend it if you're after a relaxed, country style experience in a beautiful setting.

Its worth the short walk from town. The location is great and scenic and breakfast is pretty darn amazing. my only concern was i was eaten alive by fleas or bed bugs. i spent time in many hostels and backpacking during my time in colombia, this was my first encounter. there are dogs on the premise, not a big deal, but a few of us got bitten. if that was cleaned up...this place would be amazing. otherwise, its a great choice if you can get past that part.

Amazing! The best hostel I've stayed at. Beautiful scenery, delicious breakfast (included) and dinners (optional). Helpful staff, a nice walk to town, comfortable beds

Hostel with the most stunning view and landscape I've been to! It felt more like a holiday villa than a hostel. The house was also very lovely, also the restaurant next to it. Huge garden areas. Very nice large rooms with comfy beds, clean facilities. Everything was great, only criticism: at 9.30 they would not sell anymore beers. This is not too great as the walk into the city of Salento takes about 30 mins.

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

Great hostel about a 20 minute walk from the centre of town. We did the walk at night a few times with no problems. Only gripe was no TV (we wanted to watch the World Cup) but otherwise excellent hostel, would stay here again for sure.

Stunning location amongst rolling hills, farmland, and forest. Hammocks to relax in and enjoy the view. Reasonable breakfast included, and optional dinners that were delicious and a good chance to meet other guests. The town is only a 20 minute walk away (or a jeep ride if you're lazy), and there are some coffee plantations fairly close to the hostel that offer tours. We loved this hostel, really one of the best we've stayed at. Ended up extending our stay for three more nights.

We loved the place and would stay there again. The only complaint I had is that there was a pack of at least 3 dogs that were leaving outside of our room which would bark and fight at night and would keep me awake.

• 27th Jun 2014

The location of this hostel is simply amazing. Only 15 min walking from the center of Salento and located in the mountains. English speaking staff. Great breakfast (included) nicely organized dinners. The hostel organizes all kinds of tours.

La Serrana is a beautiful hostel with an amazing view over the area. The staff was polite and helpful and gave all information needed. The included breakfast was nicer than normal with the possibility to add some extra pancakes, smoothies and other delicious stuff for a small extra fee. Their dinners is also great. Every night there is a bonfire going, you can do yoga in the morning (not included in the price) and the coffee plantations is just a small walk from the hostel. Highly recommended!

The hostel is a perfect place to relax and enjoy beautiful views. Good value for money and the atmosphere is great.

This was the first hostel I ever stayed in, and boy did it set the bar high! The beds were comfortable and everything was very clean. Most importantly, however, was the beautiful setting! Everytime I walked outside I was constantly overwhelmed by the natural beauty that surrounded me. The hostel is located on a small farm and there are hammocks where you can relax for hours. The pueblo of Salento is about a 20 minute walk away, and you will find the people there exceedingly friendly.

• 8th Jun 2014

Lovely hostel, lovely people love place!!!

One of the most beautiful settings I have ever experienced at a hostel. Great dinner every night and super friendly staff. Only place to stay in Salento.

The hostels staff seem vacant and they don't seem to care if you have any problems. There are a number of dogs which are allowed to sleep in the dorm rooms which made a lot of people ill. Especially those who are allergic. Throughout my stay there was absolutely no wifi and no hot water at all. I didnt have a hot shower all weekend. Everyone was complaining about this but the staff didnt do anything to redeem this.

• 23rd May 2014

WiFi nver worked which disrupted our travels plans for our next stop. Hot water never worked in our room. Dogs let roam around the hostel and stay in rooms, left Serrana sneezing and blocked up due to dog allergies, staff never took this complaint seriously in the slightest, some laughed! In the end, we complained about the key facilities not being provided and we were offered a discount. Everyone received different discount, seemingly made up at random at the desk.

I left Serrana feeling sick. I am allergic to dogs and the dorms smelled of dog, which isn't surprising as the dogs were allowed to sleep in the dorms, the staff laughed off any complaints about this. The fact that I could not take a hot shower for the three days I was there didn't help and so I spent a miserable time there...I had planned to use my time in La Serrana to organise my onward journey but the wifi didn't work for the entire time.so that too was ruined.

I highly recommend La Serrana- it's amazing

Look no further for accomodation in Salento (Although la floresta is nice). The most perfect hostel. Amazing surroundings, affordable food. Cheap beer. Staff always happy to help. A bit out of town but it's just so nice it doesn't matter. Nearer the coffee plantations anyway.

The best!!!