Maggy's Guesthouse Reviews

Martelaarsgracht 9, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The entire place smelled like smoke as did the sheets, towels, air etc. The window was propped open with a piece of wood, but there was no air circulation if you closed the window. Thus when we had a rain storm, we had to just move away from the window and pray not to get drenched. They wanted cash only...suspicious. The TV didn't work, the shower fell apart on us while we were using it. Also, there was no place to hang your towel or wet washcloth. The stairs were deadly steep and dangerous.

iàm really sorry that you had a bad experience but we supplies every thing what you asked to hang your clothes yes you stayed 8days iff we where so bad place why you don`t change new hotel! yes in the building every body smoke WEED MAGGY

you have to imagine that the hostal is there because there is no signal at all. it's to expensive, we stayed one night and we had to pay 35€ for cleaning services..... i have to say that we went there because we decided to go to amsterdam in the last minute and it was the only option available.

I was in 3 floor and no wifi

Worst experience I have ever had! DO NOT STAY HERE!!! Maggy called us american sluts and is blackmailing my friend money to get her ipod back that she left. During our stay, girls (strangers) in another room had guys come back and they got roofied and all of the stuff was stolen. Maggy took this out on us, yelling at us on the phone. Worst customer service ive ever encountered and the rooms are sub par. There is no lobby and they give you one key per room no matter how many people.

The room it self wasn't too bad. It was on the top floor so climbing the stairs after a long day in the coffe shops was a hit of a pain in the back side. Amsterdam Central is 2 mins walk from the guesthouse and so are many places where you can pick up the finest herbs. Tip1 make shore you know exactly where you are going there are no signs outside the front door just a little metal plate saying MAGGIES Tip2 once you ring all the bells and think somebody is opening the door, push it. Trust me

• 14th Mar 2014
  • Poland
  • All Male Group, 18-24

This is the second time we've stayed here, this time we were top room facing the main road! Perfect view and the beds are so comfy! Tea and coffee facilities are available. Forgot to plug the fridge in until the second day. Quite a way up the tiny staircase but it's defo worth the stay!

• 24th Dec 2013

Had a great time at Maggie and I will say there again made welcome value for money

• 9th Sep 2013
  • Scotland

Not cheap at all but the guesthouse is very well located next to central station and the staff is really nice. Our room was clean and pretty, under the roof with a bathtub (too bad there was no bathtub plug !). A nice place to stay if you want to be in the center.

• 7th Sep 2013

Upon arrival my partner and I where told there was something wrong with the room/or booking However Maggy had arranged accommodation else where for my partner and I at the same price, when we arrived it was much nicer than we had anticipated Maggys to be like and intern we where very pleased with the compromise Maggy had made! Although we didnt stay at Maggys we where very thankful for what she had done for us!

One of the sketchiest places I've ever stepped foot in. There is no sign on the door, the doorknob isn't attached to the door, you have to ring a buzzer and Maggy lets you in (by pulling a string from the 2nd floor). You walk up an unlit stairwell with carpet held together with duct tape - have her yell at you to close the door (which we didn't because the place was too shady to feel comfortable with the door closed). We ended up leaving because it was just too terrible. I would not recommend!

• 9th Jun 2013

20 euro/hr if you arrive after said time. rip off!

Very good restaurant downstairs Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 18th Apr 2013
  • Poland

Good ol' Maggys - you got to love this place. We were a bit sceptical about staying there after reading some of the comments on here and that most sites rate it as 2 stars. It's all bull guys, the place is great. Sure its not perfect and the stairs can be a bit steep when getting back from partying but very manageable. The owner was ver friendly and understanding (even after being late for check in!). New fitted bathroom, mattresses were extremely comfortable and they condone smoking..anything!

• 18th Apr 2013

The entry to the hostel should be much more visible. The floors of the building need a renovation.

wifi would be good. also some off the doors are a bit thin, so we heard the people from the room across the hall.

• 15th Jan 2013

Fantastic location, slap bang by the train station and just over the canal to the coffee shops and red light district! If you come out the door and turn left youll also end up in the city centre!! The staff are friendly however when we arrived we wished to cancel our last nights stay and weren't allowed even though on the website it says 24hr cancellation! that was disappointing. About a gazillion steep stairs to go up so bare that in mind!! Dont expect much from it and youll be happy

• 16th Dec 2012

Tiny room,dark walls,black furniture,electrical illumination barely enough to allow you to detect (we were definitely not seeing) the beds in the room. From the window,instead of the advertized breathtaking city view,we admired a magnificent grey wall blocking even the sunlight from the outside. I’d say the perfect hiding place for a vampire. Unfortunately, we are humans. The price was outrageous plus we were asked additional 50 euros cash key deposit not stated when booking.TERRIBLE.

• 22nd Sep 2012
  • Romania

Booked and paid for a double bed , got a single fold up bed. Showed up 10 minutes after booking but thy insisted that I had to pay for 2 hours of keeping someone there for a late check in at €20 per hour , the same person that screamed and yelled at me for Knocking on the door after ring the doorbell a bunch of times and getting No response . They also insist on a €50 key deposit so make sure u have lots Of spare cash when U book in. & don't expect a quiet night or sleep in SO MUCH NOISE

THEY HAD MICE!!!!! The location was excellent but they ask you to keep all your food in a plastic container, but I forgot I had some in my bag. I came in and found a mouse eating it! Do not recommend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall experience was fine. I didn't realise that smoking was allowed so the smell was a bit disturbing for non-smoker. The lady welcoming us was very nice and helpful.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7