New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

Terrible experience. As I arrived I was welcomed by a man with a severed hand who had broken into the room I was staying in. There was broken glass

• 11th Aug 2014

From the street the Marquette is an impressive two story brick building, fenced courtyard. The apartment had 13' ceilings, couch, table and chairs, refrigerator, oven, microwave. Double bed with dingy worn out sheets, filthy pillows in thin worn cases, old bathroom towels that had rips and holes in them, dirty carpet in apt,; grungy kitchen sink and stove were in need of some serious cleaning. The air conditioner worked well and the people in the office were friendly and helpful.

• 7th Aug 2014

The Hostel is very well located near busses and a street car and each room is its own little appartement but it is not clean, the washroom was disgusting and rotting and we even had to buy bed sheets because the two sets that we had had holes, rips and were transparent due to the use. Furthermore, when we arrived, in mid afternoon, the hostel was closed until 5:00 (we had not read that the hostel reception was closed from 1-5). The person in charge of the reception was drunk.

About what you'd expect from a hostel. Barebones no-nonsense accomodations, no frills.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Everything was just fine. In fact, the room arrangement turned out to be even better than described. I expected to see a single room for 16 people. Instead I found four connected rooms - for 4 people each.

Bed bugs. Awful staff. Horrible atmosphere. Stay away!!!

• 2nd Jul 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE this hostel has an infestation of bed bugs!I had to Change rooms twice only for my new room to have them as well! I met two people who had been eaten alive by them and one had to go to the doctors to get antihistamines! When I complained about them I was told- isn't it a case of just brushing them off to get rid of them! The staff do nothing! We went two days without toilet paper and there is no soap! Not worth even a cheap nights stay! It's in a seady area! I didn't feel safe!

• 1st Jul 2014

The only positive thing I can say about this place is that it's in a convenient location, particularly if you're coming on public transport. It is, however, part-hostel and part-halfway house. Several drunken characters skulk around at all hours. I got a private room - fixtures and fittings were falling apart, the bedspread had tiny insect-chewed holes in it and the bathroom was a sort of 70s-era Motel 6-style. The internet didn't work at all. Stay away - it's unclean and unsafe.

Alright, here's the nitty gritty (literally). Upon requesting a late check-in and even earlier check-out the staff was nice and understanding, but not totally helpful. The hostel room we stayed in was a large dorm room, with a kitchen, bathroom, "living room" and beds. It's clean enough, but really a get what you pay for situation. Location will involve a lot of walking if you want to get to Bourbon because it's located in a local area.

• 30th May 2014

First of all, I wanted to write in albanian and you don't have albanian language in your list. The reason why I didn't like it it was because I really didn't feel safe in that place. There were some guys that made noice in the midle of the night. There have been several time when they didn't let us to sleep. Also there was not a kitchen.So, the place was noizy and not safety. And also the furniture where old.The staff was not bad

• 21st May 2014
  • Kosovo

The old new orleans house that is the Marquette house is great. It's not really a place to meet other backpackers, but there were several guys the were working in the area staying at the hostel that were really welcoming and cool. They gave some great recommendations. The location is great. A few minutes on the streetcar to Vieux Carre. Not far walk to Magazine st. Once walked there from French quarter was 35 minute walk or a 10 dollar cab ride. Place fit our needs perfect

Not a place to, stay, sleep or host people in a decent conditions.

• 9th May 2014

I can't really say anything bad about our stay at Marquette house. It's obviously not a 5 star resort but the sheets were clean and the staff were awesome. One of the staff members Clay gave us a lot of information and tips on New Orleans which was muchly appreciated.

I had a great time whilst staying here. My time was short (one night) but I met so many interesting people. Staff are chilled, area is 15ish minutes to canal street.Take a chance and book in Cheers K

Our room looked like it had never been cleaned, 1st room we had, had bed bugs staff moved us but made us do all our washing 1st at our expensive. The big problem I had was the drunks that live there, they LIVE there it's not a real hostel. There drinking when I come home at 2 and when I got up early at 8 there are out drinking then, they make all the common spaces unattractive to go to, I would recommend go to a different hostel. But lady on the desk was brilliant

This place is great I stayed here for jazzfest and it is the nicest hostel in town the private 2 bed is huge and has 3 beds and 2 couches the place is very nice and I would definitely stay here again

• 25th Apr 2014

My fiancé and I ended up booking another place to stay after checking in. Location on one hand is great but the other patrons left us feeling extremely uneasy and unsafe. The other reviews we read once we departed are correct, this is way more of a halfway house than a hostel. Glad we decided to forfeit our fees and find move on.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • New Zealand

A pleasent looking hostel in a good area that is well connected and easy to walk from. Stayed in a 'delux' 3-bed room. Very spacious with own door onto a lovely varanda. However, the room fittings were extremely dated and falling apart. Furthermore, while clean sheets were provided and the room was relatively tidy, it appeard not to have been cleaned for some time. An adequate room, but probably one of the dirtiest and poorly maintained I've stayed in.

Old mate Jerry was a friendly alcoholic... other than that we met a few cool dudes and the courtyard was a really nice area. But a french kiddy tickler clogged up our shitter and my bed was very uncomfortable and im pretty sure was being held up by bricks. Didnt feel safe . Ta

Staff was nice. Stay here if you don't mind a complete lack of soap, beds seemingly made of coat hangers, and loud International bros yelling drunkenly in the courtyard and smashing bottles into the wee hours of the mornin'; or waking to the sounds of said bros snorting cocaine, and slapping sounds of a 6am gang-bang starring a hapless young lady, while the bros reciting their cheesy macho lines as if they were acting out their own episode of Bros Gone Wild. 21 y/o bros only.