New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

Wasn't a first choice. I was at first skeptical after reading some really bad reviews on Google+. (b e d b u g s etc.). But since most of the other hostels were booked out for the weekend we went with this one. I was surprised in a positive way.

• 14th Nov 2014

We had a great time overthere. Our concerns are about the apartment condition: The door needs a better lock and the furniture in general needs some update.

• 11th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Wi-Fi access could be greatly improved by adding another access point (Wi-Fi only worked in certain places on the porch and not in the room), which I think most travellers would welcome. I cannot speak for the dorms (I had a private room), but overall, I had an excellent stay - thank you very much!

• 21st Oct 2014

Terrible experience. As I arrived I was welcomed by a man with a severed hand who had broken into the room I was staying in. There was broken glass

• 11th Aug 2014

From the street the Marquette is an impressive two story brick building, fenced courtyard. The apartment had 13' ceilings, couch, table and chairs, refrigerator, oven, microwave. Double bed with dingy worn out sheets, filthy pillows in thin worn cases, old bathroom towels that had rips and holes in them, dirty carpet in apt,; grungy kitchen sink and stove were in need of some serious cleaning. The air conditioner worked well and the people in the office were friendly and helpful.

• 7th Aug 2014

The Hostel is very well located near busses and a street car and each room is its own little appartement but it is not clean, the washroom was disgusting and rotting and we even had to buy bed sheets because the two sets that we had had holes, rips and were transparent due to the use. Furthermore, when we arrived, in mid afternoon, the hostel was closed until 5:00 (we had not read that the hostel reception was closed from 1-5). The person in charge of the reception was drunk.

About what you'd expect from a hostel. Barebones no-nonsense accomodations, no frills.

• 3rd Jul 2014

Everything was just fine. In fact, the room arrangement turned out to be even better than described. I expected to see a single room for 16 people. Instead I found four connected rooms - for 4 people each.

Bed bugs. Awful staff. Horrible atmosphere. Stay away!!!

• 2nd Jul 2014

DO NOT STAY HERE this hostel has an infestation of bed bugs!I had to Change rooms twice only for my new room to have them as well! I met two people who had been eaten alive by them and one had to go to the doctors to get antihistamines! When I complained about them I was told- isn't it a case of just brushing them off to get rid of them! The staff do nothing! We went two days without toilet paper and there is no soap! Not worth even a cheap nights stay! It's in a seady area! I didn't feel safe!

• 1st Jul 2014

The only positive thing I can say about this place is that it's in a convenient location, particularly if you're coming on public transport. It is, however, part-hostel and part-halfway house. Several drunken characters skulk around at all hours. I got a private room - fixtures and fittings were falling apart, the bedspread had tiny insect-chewed holes in it and the bathroom was a sort of 70s-era Motel 6-style. The internet didn't work at all. Stay away - it's unclean and unsafe.

Alright, here's the nitty gritty (literally). Upon requesting a late check-in and even earlier check-out the staff was nice and understanding, but not totally helpful. The hostel room we stayed in was a large dorm room, with a kitchen, bathroom, "living room" and beds. It's clean enough, but really a get what you pay for situation. Location will involve a lot of walking if you want to get to Bourbon because it's located in a local area.

• 30th May 2014