New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

The rooms had dead bugs everywhere. It was questionable whether or not they were alive but they were huddled in the corners and all over the floor. The sheets didn't look like they were washed at all.

So much potentiel here... ! My dorm was clean and had a fridge, sink and micro waves... but there is almost nothing in the kitchen... not sure if the kitchen was finish! Great outdoor space, garden and backyard. A bit far from the French quarter, but we walked and took the tram another time. But there is plenty of bars ans resto and nice vintage shop just around the corner. We were happy with that! We get along well with the staff... they are not crazy frendly(!) and helpful but nice.

Everyone here said they were only staying because everywhere else was full. Unless you really like bed bugs, strange older people who seem to live there, having no lockers or secure space in the dorms, short check-in hours and rude staff, probably give it a miss. I am not joking about the bed bugs.

The worst place that I already stayed in my life as a hostel. So much dirty and I have payed for a room with 14 beds and my room had 16 beds. The room was just for women, but one men slept inside the room with a woman.

It was terrible. The hostel was dirty, small and insecure! I had a bad time there.

• 29th Dec 2014

This hostel was our last resort. The hostel is not clean, the doors don't lock and the shower is disgusting. There is no security. WiFi does not work and there is not a lounge where you can seat and talk. Only an out area, but the weather was too cold to stay out there. However, the neighbohood is really nice and you can do so many things there.

• 29th Dec 2014

Everybody at the hostel, myself included, were staying here as a last resort. BED BUGS ARE REAL. A friend complained about them, showed the staff her bites, and was given fresh sheets because the staff couldn't see any bugs the moment they came to look. Gross. There is a little common area outside, mostly occupied with older people who seem to live at the hostel. The wifi sometimes works inside the lobby, never in th rooms though. There are also no lockers! On the upside, the location is good.

I left the hostel without staying there one night after seeing the room and the people staying there. It feels like a shelter rather than a hostel.

I called the front desk to see if I could check-in a little later for going to a nba game I already had tickets. The guy on the phone was very rude and didn't allow that, which resulted in me losing the first half of the game. NOT a clean hostel, with a terrible smell in the room and a yellow liquid was in the floor of the bathroom for five days. Many homeless people living there. Upside? Location, no bed bugs, confortable bed and ONE staff member was really nice.

Great location

For the price is a really nice hostel I totally recommend it

• 27th Nov 2014
  • Mexico

I have stayed at this hostel previously and the price is fantastic for being right on the edge of the Garden District along with 1 block from the St. Charles street car - which really does get you all over the city. The staff were very helpful and we were able to request a specific room (we stayed in one of the private suites).

• 20th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Wasn't a first choice. I was at first skeptical after reading some really bad reviews on Google+. (b e d b u g s etc.). But since most of the other hostels were booked out for the weekend we went with this one. I was surprised in a positive way.

• 14th Nov 2014

We had a great time overthere. Our concerns are about the apartment condition: The door needs a better lock and the furniture in general needs some update.

• 11th Nov 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Wi-Fi access could be greatly improved by adding another access point (Wi-Fi only worked in certain places on the porch and not in the room), which I think most travellers would welcome. I cannot speak for the dorms (I had a private room), but overall, I had an excellent stay - thank you very much!

• 21st Oct 2014

Terrible experience. As I arrived I was welcomed by a man with a severed hand who had broken into the room I was staying in. There was broken glass

• 11th Aug 2014

From the street the Marquette is an impressive two story brick building, fenced courtyard. The apartment had 13' ceilings, couch, table and chairs, refrigerator, oven, microwave. Double bed with dingy worn out sheets, filthy pillows in thin worn cases, old bathroom towels that had rips and holes in them, dirty carpet in apt,; grungy kitchen sink and stove were in need of some serious cleaning. The air conditioner worked well and the people in the office were friendly and helpful.

• 7th Aug 2014