New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

Stayed here for Mardi Gras, and cannot understand bad reviews! Yes it is a bit worn in places, and there are some long-term residents, but that adds to the charm and atmosphere of the place! It is quite a walk to the French Quarter, but walkable to the Greyhound and Megabus, and has loads of good local hangouts around! Felt very safe and staff very friendly!

Did the job for Mardi Gras but the facilities were not the best. We paid $50a night but the WiFi was non existent, no security lockers and the the staff is missing between 12 and 3 every day

Good hostel for a one night stay! Good location, 30 minuters walk to french quarter!

I was very pleased with my stay. It's definitely not the Ritz, but it's equivalent to the price.

• 5th Feb 2016

The water in the shower was brown, there was cockroaches in the room, the beds were uncomfortable unsafe and unclean, and there's no safe in the rooms. Minimal facilities, building looks like it's falling down and it's a 30 minute walk to the French quarter. Really disappointed with the hostel itself and hostel world.

• 5th Feb 2016

I was nervous after reading all of the reviews of this hostel but was more than pleasantly suprised.. I stayed in the girls dorm (P) which was clean and nice and big. The bathrooms were clean enough by hostel standards and so were the beds unlike many of the other reviews suggest. The staff was friendly and helpful.

• 4th Feb 2016

Not great... I was there or one night because all thethe other cheap places were booked. But I felt like leaving as soon as I woke up...

• 1st Jan 2016

There was a worker that was really impolite. And it was important o ask things to him. The cleanliness of the hostel and the equipments in itit were terrible. There is plenty space to improve. The hostel was expensive and not worthy.

If you are looking for a cheap place to stay, not so far from the Canal St and French Quarter this is the place. Also, it's very close to the Garden District (a very beautiful place to walk around), and you can use the trolley to go Downtown if you don't like to walk. The kitchen is not so clean but the dorms were ok. The problem is that the Wi-Fi doesn't work and they don't have lockers, which could be better for security.

• 30th Dec 2015

There are fleas in the beds. By the time I knew there was nowhere else to stay. My face and neck and limbs have obvious bites, but hostel owner was very unapologetic and unhelpful.

• 30th Dec 2015

I read the bad reviews and booked this hostel regardless thinking 'how bad can it be? I'm fine with basic'. No one should make the same mistake! When I arrived all the beds in the dorm had been slept in, after a lot of arguing between the staff the took the dirty sheets off one of the beds and told me I could have that. The beds felt like they were about to collapse every time anyone moved, there are no lockers, staff don't seem to know who is supposed to be there.

The Marquette House is pretty basic, even in hostel accommodation terms. What it lacks in atmosphere, it makes up for with location and price. People are generally friendly and I would staustau here again.

Very spaciousspacious/convenient place to stay for the cost, highly recommended. My only complaint is the fact that the office is closed in the middle of the day.

• 28th Dec 2015

Interesting. A bit out of the way.

Good ratio quality vs price.

• 26th Nov 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I have stayed at Marquette House numerous times in the past 10 years, and I have never been unhappy there. Until this visit. Some of my food was stolen from the kitchen, and the place is now occupied full-time by drunks. The whole week that I was there, I saw one young couple who actually seemed like travelers from another country. Everyone else I saw lives in the hostel and they spend their time drinking in the courtyard.

I booked an eight-bed-room and ended up in a room with 16 (!!) beds. There was mold, there were cockroaches, it was dirty and smelly and the employees were unfriendly and ignorant. The wifi did not work, the mattress was so thin that you could also sleep on a plank, the sheets and blankets were covered with dark spots and rust(why?!). I wanted to check out three days earlier, but they refused to do ANY refund! I left and stayed at a better hostel in the FrenchQuarter which was of the same price

This was my first time staying at a hostel, but the the bathroom looked gross, and I wish I had brought sandals to use in the shower. The towel I received looked like someone had used it to wipe cheeto crumbs off of their hands, and the sheets looked stained. It did the job as far as having a place to sleep, but I tried to avoid it at all other parts of the day.

• 30th Oct 2015

The rooms, blankets, sheets are dirty. Mold everywhere. I could not shower because of the cockroaches. I could not sleep because of the thin, hard mattresses and wifi does not work.

more cleanliness please