New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

The staff was great and I did book another stay there.

• 15th Jul 2015

The hostel was very dirty and didn't seem very secure. There were a lot of strange people who seemed to just congregate in the courtyard smoking cigarettes who didn't seem to be staying at the hostel. The sheets and towels had weird stains, the shower was mildewed, and there was not really air conditioning in most of the dorm.

• 2nd Jul 2015

Pretty far from the French quarter, but is in a lovely part of the garden district and there are some great (quiet) bars/cafes nearby. Very little kitchen facilities, there were no forks or glasses. The dorm room I stayed in was facing a residential street, but the large window didn't have a curtain for privacy or even the huge amount of light coming from the nearby street light. This hostel is fine, you just won't have an amazing time here. Probably the most average hostel I've stayed in.

Not really bad. Old, rusty, and musty but tolerable and has its charms. If you're checking-in late, e-mail Steve for instructions. There are lots of long term residents but they're nice and friendly. I was just worried for health reasons because one roommate was coughing all night, might have been better experience if I was in another room. I heard their private rooms were great.

Staff was great and upgraded our room to a neat apt style. Property was neat and clean. The only thing that was a little gross was the in-shower mat, so bring flip flops

• 15th May 2015

Truly one of the strangest places I've ever been. It was dirty, very dirty... there was rotting rubbish lying around and I never saw a cleaner. There was no wifi or lockers and for most of the day no staff. My dorm had no lock on the door. The dorm smelled horrendous. But, the (one) staff member I met was helpful and polite, the sheets were clean enough and the atmosphere was reasonably good, plenty of people having a good time. Good location but if you want a clean safe hostel, go elsewhere

The kitchen facilities are quite poor and there is a problem with some people stealing food from others. Might be a good idea to maybe install some webcam so the perpetrator can be found and banned from the place.

Very creepy hostel. Not a good environment for travellers. It's basically a half way house where people live, and then they rent some additional rooms out... Old rusty beds, stained sheets, creepy bathroom/bedroom Has cockroaches. Outside doors do not lock. No lockers. No breakfast. Wore out kitchen: not welcoming for cooking. Terrible place to stay and more expensive than other alternatives (many other better and cheaper hostels in New Orleans)

This hostel won't be suitable for a princess, but if you're looking for an affordable option in New Orleans this place isn't so bad. The hostel is set up in an old inn which means there's more privacy than you would have at another hostel. I had to stay an extra day due to bad weather and I really would have appreciated a common area to meet other travelers to spend the time. There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. Plus, the streetcar and bus is very accessible.

• 24th Apr 2015

Very clean and roomy Well worth the money Would stay there again on my next visit

• 19th Mar 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

After reading all the bad reviews, I wasn't sure if I wanted to come here. I have stayed in hostels all over the world and this place is great. Couldn't have asked for a better experience with this hostel.

Bad smell in the room. A lot of dirt and cockroach in the kichen! Terrible place to stay. Please runaway!

• 16th Mar 2015

Over all it was a great experience. Not your typical lets party hostel but i made many friends and its new orleans if you limitnparty to the hostel you're doing it wrong. The staff at the desk were very helpful and friendly. The people who stay there long term were not bad, i found most to be very kind when you opened up, and am atmosphere like this is common amongst hostels. I would stay again

Door to my dorm barely latched, I'm pretty sure a small child could've broken into it. The kitchen stove is ornamental at best, other than microwaving there's almost no way to cook anything. It is a block or two away from some former housing projects - did not feel safe walking through them to a laundromat, (more Google's fault for not having an 'avoid the ghetto' option). Toilet felt like it was going to break. One of the permanent residents was a bit of a hustler.

Minus the couple of dead cockroaches and the musty smell the room was very large and comfortable. My only issue was the WIFI. Apparently my MAC computer was too good for the WIFI and my firewalls were too high that I was told I would have to walk around outside to find a connection so I was unable to do my homework or watch a movie with my boyfriend.

• 11th Mar 2015

My stay was ok. My likes: the courtyard and location. Dislikes: only one shower had hot water, Wifi wasn't good, a bit pricey for a place that doesn't serve breakfast, no lockers

• 10th Mar 2015

Two days for cleaning clogged toilet... Shity smell during my whole stay.

• 10th Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

The shower does get hot but takes 10 minutes to do so. The beds are wire which flip. The wi-fi is non-existent. I encountered two members of staff while I was there - one who was super friendly and helpful and the other who was one of the least friendly people I've ever met in a hostel. Most of the guests seemed to be older folk who stayed there permanently. My room was not cleaned once during my 3 days there. In terms of hostels, you can definitely do worse - but you can do so much better.

Ended up not staying in hostel due to some extremely poor customer service before arriving. I asked for clarity on an issue and received the following I am sorry if our email confirmation to you was unclear. Since we are not aware of any accommodation that has an official morning check in time, we just assumed it was understood that it depended on the availability of the bed or room. Apparently this is a mistake on our part, although to my knowledge you are the first guest to make an issue

• 15th Feb 2015

this place had charm and the staff was very nice. the beds and blankets were just yucky... clean but old and VERY worn. for god sakes take 20 bucks and hit the local goodwill store and get some decent blankets!

• 15th Feb 2015