New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

The kitchen facilities are quite poor and there is a problem with some people stealing food from others. Might be a good idea to maybe install some webcam so the perpetrator can be found and banned from the place.

• 1st May 2015
  • Czech Republic

This hostel won't be suitable for a princess, but if you're looking for an affordable option in New Orleans this place isn't so bad. The hostel is set up in an old inn which means there's more privacy than you would have at another hostel. I had to stay an extra day due to bad weather and I really would have appreciated a common area to meet other travelers to spend the time. There are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. Plus, the streetcar and bus is very accessible.

• 24th Apr 2015

Very clean and roomy Well worth the money Would stay there again on my next visit

• 19th Mar 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

After reading all the bad reviews, I wasn't sure if I wanted to come here. I have stayed in hostels all over the world and this place is great. Couldn't have asked for a better experience with this hostel.

Bad smell in the room. A lot of dirt and cockroach in the kichen! Terrible place to stay. Please runaway!

• 16th Mar 2015

Over all it was a great experience. Not your typical lets party hostel but i made many friends and its new orleans if you limitnparty to the hostel you're doing it wrong. The staff at the desk were very helpful and friendly. The people who stay there long term were not bad, i found most to be very kind when you opened up, and am atmosphere like this is common amongst hostels. I would stay again

Door to my dorm barely latched, I'm pretty sure a small child could've broken into it. The kitchen stove is ornamental at best, other than microwaving there's almost no way to cook anything. It is a block or two away from some former housing projects - did not feel safe walking through them to a laundromat, (more Google's fault for not having an 'avoid the ghetto' option). Toilet felt like it was going to break. One of the permanent residents was a bit of a hustler.

Minus the couple of dead cockroaches and the musty smell the room was very large and comfortable. My only issue was the WIFI. Apparently my MAC computer was too good for the WIFI and my firewalls were too high that I was told I would have to walk around outside to find a connection so I was unable to do my homework or watch a movie with my boyfriend.

• 11th Mar 2015

My stay was ok. My likes: the courtyard and location. Dislikes: only one shower had hot water, Wifi wasn't good, a bit pricey for a place that doesn't serve breakfast, no lockers

• 10th Mar 2015

Two days for cleaning clogged toilet... Shity smell during my whole stay.

• 10th Mar 2015
  • Switzerland

The shower does get hot but takes 10 minutes to do so. The beds are wire which flip. The wi-fi is non-existent. I encountered two members of staff while I was there - one who was super friendly and helpful and the other who was one of the least friendly people I've ever met in a hostel. Most of the guests seemed to be older folk who stayed there permanently. My room was not cleaned once during my 3 days there. In terms of hostels, you can definitely do worse - but you can do so much better.

Ended up not staying in hostel due to some extremely poor customer service before arriving. I asked for clarity on an issue and received the following I am sorry if our email confirmation to you was unclear. Since we are not aware of any accommodation that has an official morning check in time, we just assumed it was understood that it depended on the availability of the bed or room. Apparently this is a mistake on our part, although to my knowledge you are the first guest to make an issue

• 15th Feb 2015

this place had charm and the staff was very nice. the beds and blankets were just yucky... clean but old and VERY worn. for god sakes take 20 bucks and hit the local goodwill store and get some decent blankets!

• 15th Feb 2015

Don't let the negative reviews scare you, this place is perfect for a traveler. It isn't for those used to posh environments, dorms and facilities are very basic but clean and functioning - that's all that matters. Very fun atmosphere, great outdoor area and kitchen complete with pots and pans. If you go through make sure to hang out with Cleveland, he lives there and has beautiful bracelets he weaves along with other crafts.

• 15th Feb 2015

Great location, easy to get to and near lots of food and streetcar. Bunk beds are old (and rickety!) shower had water pressure of a toy watering can. It was ok- I wouldn't stay again unless beds and showers were fixed/replaced.

• 14th Feb 2015

The folks working around the hostel and the guys who worked at night were all really nice, the guy working the desk during the day was not so friendly. He looked miserable and was impatient. The beds seem like they are all about to fall apart, it was kind of nerve racking every time I had to climb into my bunk or watched others climb into theirs... I've stayed in a lot of hostels, on a lot of bunks and they have never been that wobbly. Also the water pressure in the shower is reallllly bad.

• 14th Feb 2015

My brother and I came for Mardi Gras and the hostel was only one block down from the parades!! It was also just a 5 minute walk to the Garden District. The staff was friendly and helpful. I liked that they'd come hang out in the courtyard and talk with the guests and invite people passing to come sit. I met a lot of interesting people that way. My only complaint was that the lock on the dorm I stayed in was duct taped open. There's a lock to get into the hostel, but it made me a little nervous.

• 13th Feb 2015

I really enjoyed my stay here. I liked the atmosphere and the architecture of the little buildings around the place. Everyone was really nice around the hostel in particular the guy with dreadlocks who sells bracelets.

• 13th Feb 2015

The rooms had dead bugs everywhere. It was questionable whether or not they were alive but they were huddled in the corners and all over the floor. The sheets didn't look like they were washed at all.

So much potentiel here... ! My dorm was clean and had a fridge, sink and micro waves... but there is almost nothing in the kitchen... not sure if the kitchen was finish! Great outdoor space, garden and backyard. A bit far from the French quarter, but we walked and took the tram another time. But there is plenty of bars ans resto and nice vintage shop just around the corner. We were happy with that! We get along well with the staff... they are not crazy frendly(!) and helpful but nice.