New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

The shower does get hot but takes 10 minutes to do so. The beds are wire which flip. The wi-fi is non-existent. I encountered two members of staff while I was there - one who was super friendly and helpful and the other who was one of the least friendly people I've ever met in a hostel. Most of the guests seemed to be older folk who stayed there permanently. My room was not cleaned once during my 3 days there. In terms of hostels, you can definitely do worse - but you can do so much better.

Ended up not staying in hostel due to some extremely poor customer service before arriving. I asked for clarity on an issue and received the following I am sorry if our email confirmation to you was unclear. Since we are not aware of any accommodation that has an official morning check in time, we just assumed it was understood that it depended on the availability of the bed or room. Apparently this is a mistake on our part, although to my knowledge you are the first guest to make an issue

• 15th Feb 2015

this place had charm and the staff was very nice. the beds and blankets were just yucky... clean but old and VERY worn. for god sakes take 20 bucks and hit the local goodwill store and get some decent blankets!

• 15th Feb 2015

Don't let the negative reviews scare you, this place is perfect for a traveler. It isn't for those used to posh environments, dorms and facilities are very basic but clean and functioning - that's all that matters. Very fun atmosphere, great outdoor area and kitchen complete with pots and pans. If you go through make sure to hang out with Cleveland, he lives there and has beautiful bracelets he weaves along with other crafts.

• 15th Feb 2015

Great location, easy to get to and near lots of food and streetcar. Bunk beds are old (and rickety!) shower had water pressure of a toy watering can. It was ok- I wouldn't stay again unless beds and showers were fixed/replaced.

• 14th Feb 2015

The folks working around the hostel and the guys who worked at night were all really nice, the guy working the desk during the day was not so friendly. He looked miserable and was impatient. The beds seem like they are all about to fall apart, it was kind of nerve racking every time I had to climb into my bunk or watched others climb into theirs... I've stayed in a lot of hostels, on a lot of bunks and they have never been that wobbly. Also the water pressure in the shower is reallllly bad.

• 14th Feb 2015

My brother and I came for Mardi Gras and the hostel was only one block down from the parades!! It was also just a 5 minute walk to the Garden District. The staff was friendly and helpful. I liked that they'd come hang out in the courtyard and talk with the guests and invite people passing to come sit. I met a lot of interesting people that way. My only complaint was that the lock on the dorm I stayed in was duct taped open. There's a lock to get into the hostel, but it made me a little nervous.

• 13th Feb 2015

I really enjoyed my stay here. I liked the atmosphere and the architecture of the little buildings around the place. Everyone was really nice around the hostel in particular the guy with dreadlocks who sells bracelets.

• 13th Feb 2015

The rooms had dead bugs everywhere. It was questionable whether or not they were alive but they were huddled in the corners and all over the floor. The sheets didn't look like they were washed at all.

So much potentiel here... ! My dorm was clean and had a fridge, sink and micro waves... but there is almost nothing in the kitchen... not sure if the kitchen was finish! Great outdoor space, garden and backyard. A bit far from the French quarter, but we walked and took the tram another time. But there is plenty of bars ans resto and nice vintage shop just around the corner. We were happy with that! We get along well with the staff... they are not crazy frendly(!) and helpful but nice.

Everyone here said they were only staying because everywhere else was full. Unless you really like bed bugs, strange older people who seem to live there, having no lockers or secure space in the dorms, short check-in hours and rude staff, probably give it a miss. I am not joking about the bed bugs.

The worst place that I already stayed in my life as a hostel. So much dirty and I have payed for a room with 14 beds and my room had 16 beds. The room was just for women, but one men slept inside the room with a woman.

It was terrible. The hostel was dirty, small and insecure! I had a bad time there.

• 29th Dec 2014

This hostel was our last resort. The hostel is not clean, the doors don't lock and the shower is disgusting. There is no security. WiFi does not work and there is not a lounge where you can seat and talk. Only an out area, but the weather was too cold to stay out there. However, the neighbohood is really nice and you can do so many things there.

• 29th Dec 2014

Everybody at the hostel, myself included, were staying here as a last resort. BED BUGS ARE REAL. A friend complained about them, showed the staff her bites, and was given fresh sheets because the staff couldn't see any bugs the moment they came to look. Gross. There is a little common area outside, mostly occupied with older people who seem to live at the hostel. The wifi sometimes works inside the lobby, never in th rooms though. There are also no lockers! On the upside, the location is good.

I left the hostel without staying there one night after seeing the room and the people staying there. It feels like a shelter rather than a hostel.

I called the front desk to see if I could check-in a little later for going to a nba game I already had tickets. The guy on the phone was very rude and didn't allow that, which resulted in me losing the first half of the game. NOT a clean hostel, with a terrible smell in the room and a yellow liquid was in the floor of the bathroom for five days. Many homeless people living there. Upside? Location, no bed bugs, confortable bed and ONE staff member was really nice.

Great location

For the price is a really nice hostel I totally recommend it

• 27th Nov 2014
  • Mexico

I have stayed at this hostel previously and the price is fantastic for being right on the edge of the Garden District along with 1 block from the St. Charles street car - which really does get you all over the city. The staff were very helpful and we were able to request a specific room (we stayed in one of the private suites).

• 20th Nov 2014