New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

I loved the floor to ceiling windows in the 'apartments' across the st and the great court yard.

• 10th Apr 2014

This place was great! One street away from the Street Car. If you stay in a private room, which I did, you have so much room-kitchen unit, living area, couches, beds, table. The employees were very helpful and kind and there is a nice outdoor seating area with lawn chairs. For as cheap as it is, its a great alternative for student travelers or someone on a tight budget.

• 10th Apr 2014

It's cheap, but not really good at first sight. When used for a few days as stayover only and you don't expect too much this is a hostel to go to, it's close to the city and has some nice and friendly locals around. For a more comfortable experience, look elsewhere.

• 5th Apr 2014

The Marquette House was a cute and quaint hostel. I ended up having a very good stay there. Located in a really pretty area of in the uptown region of New Orleans. It was a little bit further away from the "action" of New Orleans- like the French Quarter or Bourbon Street- but it wasn't a difficult walk or streetcar ride. Actually it was a beautiful and very comfortable walk to downtown and taking the streetcar up St. Charles was breathe-taking. Overall- I had a great stay and met amazing people

I was surprised at how nice this hostel was! It was pretty clean and everything. It is kind of far from downtown, but a cab into town isn't too expensive. The staff is super nice too!

• 4th Apr 2014

I don't have any complaints. It was in a good location, right near the St. Charles railcar. It was easy to get there. The facilities were decent-- not extremely nice, but fitting to the price we paid. Nothing was extremely dirty, the bathrooms were usable (I wore shower shoes). The staff we interacted with were nice enough, we didnt have any complaints. I would stay there again.

• 4th Apr 2014

I stayed here for a conference in New Orleans. As a poor graduate student money is tight, so I needed a place to stay where I could park and get back and forth to the conference hotel, and this place was perfect (because of the streetcar line). I really liked the private room, the little kitchenette was great for leftovers, and the place was a lot quieter than the cheap hotels in the quarter. I plan to stay here again, and have recommended it to friends and family.

Extremely helpful staff who waited for me past the reception open time as my flight from New York was delayed by 2 hours. Interesting set-up but very homely, was in a 12-man dorm but this was sub-divided into 3 rooms of 4, which was nice. Half hour walk from Bourbon St but down a very well lit road, I never once felt unsafe and didn't use a single Streetcar whilst I stayed at the Marquette. Pleasant double courtyard area as well with vending machines.

Overall, I've met many nice people at this hostel, including the staff who helped me with my luggage when it got delayed at the airport. The location is fantastic, almost everything you need or want is within reach. I went here during WrestleMania, awesome atmosphere and good people. The building is old, not very hygienic, no lockers in my room. No bed bugs here, but always come prepared nonetheless. You do get your money's worth. They want me to come back, which I take as a compliment :-)

bed bug bites...

Just great

• 15th Mar 2014
  • China

Simply Fantastic. The staff is the best. Location is phenominal and perfect when you don't need the BS that comes with downtown New orleans. Its a very safe place and I met amazing travelers from every contnent but Antartica. Thank You.

• 13th Mar 2014

This was a great stop only blocks from St. Charles and the streetcar that will take you to the French Quarter. The rooms and bathrooms were some of the cleanest I've stayed in. The atmosphere was overall friendly yet quiet.

I've been to New Orleans on the 8th, 9th of March 2014 with a bunch of friends. Our room was perfectly clean with beds already done and waiting for us. I like a lot that the stuff was not wondering around, making you feel as if you are constantly watched. It felt like we rented an appartment for our own! The stuff is friendly and helpfull - we had a friend joining our company in the last moment and we were given a bigger room upon request - thanks to Steven!

• 8th Mar 2014
  • Russia

Despite all the bad reviews. I liked this hostel a lot, only a few blocks away from the AHS coven house, and the street car can take you to the Qtr and anywhere else. Met some cool people, if you're gonna be out and about you're not gonna mind this hostel. My time there wasn't bad. Very nice location in the garden dist. So you have a nice safe location here

• 8th Mar 2014

Staff seemed overwhelmed that we were there even after having made a reservation, sheets and towels never brought to our room even after the staff directly said they would. Provides only the basics and nothing more

Location was great. Staff could've been friendlier, and more excited to be there. Things need fixing up. Plumbing, courtyard, locks.

Do not stay here! Especially during Mardi Gras. Wifi was pathetic. Dorm rooms didn't lock. Toilet doors didn't close. Toilets blocked up. No soap in dispenser. No lockers. Sheets were dirty. Poor transport to French quarter as streetcars don't run during Mardi Gras. Kitchen gross. Staff unknowledgeable. All i can say positively is the outdoor space was ok and I didn't get bed bugs. For the love of god do not stay here, its super cheap for a reason.

The wifi didn't work in the building I was in, I had to go outside to catch it from the other building. The room had just been fixed (something with the toilets) before I checked in and was left dirty. One staff member was very friendly and helpful and the other not so much. A mixed bag but I could still pay to go there again if I had no other option or others were significantly more expensive. The location was very good. Away from the craziness but close enough to easily get to the craziness.

Management was extremely unhelpful. No security and unpleasant conditions.

• 14th Feb 2014