New Orleans Hostel - Marquette House Reviews

2249 Carondelet Street, LA 70130, New Orleans, USA

I don't have a lot of experience with hostels, but this seemed perfectly fine. The staff was courteous and helpful and the bed was comfortable enough. The beds were a little squeaky and the door to my dorm room was hard to close (it was usually just open a crack, which is sort of a security issue). A note says that the AC is routinely off during the day, which makes the rooms pretty hot during the day, but that probably helps keep the cost down.

• 11th Apr 2014

Staff, try to have something with their guest.Completly lack of ethic. Because it repeats again and again. And I have heard from a lot of guests. Wifi, never works. And is as clean as it need to be.

I loved the floor to ceiling windows in the 'apartments' across the st and the great court yard.

• 10th Apr 2014

This place was great! One street away from the Street Car. If you stay in a private room, which I did, you have so much room-kitchen unit, living area, couches, beds, table. The employees were very helpful and kind and there is a nice outdoor seating area with lawn chairs. For as cheap as it is, its a great alternative for student travelers or someone on a tight budget.

• 10th Apr 2014

It's cheap, but not really good at first sight. When used for a few days as stayover only and you don't expect too much this is a hostel to go to, it's close to the city and has some nice and friendly locals around. For a more comfortable experience, look elsewhere.

• 5th Apr 2014

The Marquette House was a cute and quaint hostel. I ended up having a very good stay there. Located in a really pretty area of in the uptown region of New Orleans. It was a little bit further away from the "action" of New Orleans- like the French Quarter or Bourbon Street- but it wasn't a difficult walk or streetcar ride. Actually it was a beautiful and very comfortable walk to downtown and taking the streetcar up St. Charles was breathe-taking. Overall- I had a great stay and met amazing people

I was surprised at how nice this hostel was! It was pretty clean and everything. It is kind of far from downtown, but a cab into town isn't too expensive. The staff is super nice too!

• 4th Apr 2014

I don't have any complaints. It was in a good location, right near the St. Charles railcar. It was easy to get there. The facilities were decent-- not extremely nice, but fitting to the price we paid. Nothing was extremely dirty, the bathrooms were usable (I wore shower shoes). The staff we interacted with were nice enough, we didnt have any complaints. I would stay there again.

• 4th Apr 2014

I stayed here for a conference in New Orleans. As a poor graduate student money is tight, so I needed a place to stay where I could park and get back and forth to the conference hotel, and this place was perfect (because of the streetcar line). I really liked the private room, the little kitchenette was great for leftovers, and the place was a lot quieter than the cheap hotels in the quarter. I plan to stay here again, and have recommended it to friends and family.

Extremely helpful staff who waited for me past the reception open time as my flight from New York was delayed by 2 hours. Interesting set-up but very homely, was in a 12-man dorm but this was sub-divided into 3 rooms of 4, which was nice. Half hour walk from Bourbon St but down a very well lit road, I never once felt unsafe and didn't use a single Streetcar whilst I stayed at the Marquette. Pleasant double courtyard area as well with vending machines.

Overall, I've met many nice people at this hostel, including the staff who helped me with my luggage when it got delayed at the airport. The location is fantastic, almost everything you need or want is within reach. I went here during WrestleMania, awesome atmosphere and good people. The building is old, not very hygienic, no lockers in my room. No bed bugs here, but always come prepared nonetheless. You do get your money's worth. They want me to come back, which I take as a compliment :-)

bed bug bites...