North Borneo Cabin Reviews

1st & 2nd Floor, No. 74 Jalan Gaya, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

It felt more like being in someone's home, more than a hostel. The staff/family are very friendly, but I still couldn't help but feel like I was intruding in their home. There are young children playing in the lobby all day; while they are very cute, the infant seems to cry loudly very often. The children were up until midnight (admittedly I was there on a weekend), and then they are put to sleep on the sofas in the lobby/living room. I wouldn't stay again; there are better hostels in KK.

Decent hostel

Nice hostel with good atmosphere and nice communal area. Breakfast is simple: white bread with jam/butter and bananas. Good value for your money

• 8th Jan 2015

more places to hang clothes would be useful.. it would really help if there are directions on how to get to the hostel from the airport (shuttle bus), and also how to locate the hostel without a gps (upstairs of the zen-q shop and the very crowded bak kut teh restaurant etc.) overall nice stay and recommended.

Well located and friendly staff. Very simple and basic facilities.

Excellent location――Gaya Street, makes everything close to it, Tourism Board, post office, night market …… And its sanition and shower devices are definitely the best among a lot of similar hostels for backpackers. Admittedly in my person I don't like the no-key room cuz I was worried that guests from other rooms might get into my dorm, considering its super low price everything unsatisfying could be ignored. Come to North Borneo Cabin, guys!

The family that runs this place are lovely and will do anything to help you out (ask them about boat trips as they have discount vouchers). Facilities and place are basic, you get what you pay for, but no complaints. Definately a good launch pad for further adventures.

Great place to stay. Basic rooms and breakfast but it does the job, very cheap and in a perfect location..the sunday market starts basically at the door step. Everybody has been awesome, they do go the extra mile to help you and if you are lucky enough you might get caught in one of the family reunion. They share and care :)

A few minutes walk to the Jesselton Point, which is quite convenient for me. It is also near many local restaurants. Good location. Facilities very basic.

It is a very nice place to spend no more than a few days and relax. Very basic but working facilities. I liked it!

When I received an email telling me they were overbooked I was initially upset but staff made another reservation for me at a different place or gave me the option of another room and blocking it out so I could have it as the private I initially booked. It was so nice of them!

The room was super small. Way smaller than expected, but it was perfectly functional. It felt very prison like as the cement walls were just cold slabs of stone. The AC didn't work but the fan was more than enough. It's not like we spent much time in the room anyways. The shared toilet and shower were always clean which was nice. The inclued breakfast is just toast, butter, and jam. One day there were a couple of bananas too. Location was good, right in central KK. Staff was always helpful.

• 11th Oct 2014

Basic dorms, basic showers, basic breakfast, but does the job. Very nice staff

location and price are exellent,but the mix room has no aircon,and the fan is broken

It is a great stay at North Borneo Cabin. The toilet is very clean and dry. the staffs are friendly. It is located at Jalan Gaya, pretty much accessible to a lot of mall, jetty and night market. Keep it up!

• 17th Aug 2014
  • Malaysia

Aa lovely spot to crash in KK.

We stayed in a mixture of accommodation and North Borneo was by far our favourite so we chose to extend our stay there. Staff are very friendly and helpful, keen to get to know their guests. Location is great, 5min walk from Suria Sabah shopping centre and bars, markets etc and a 10min walk from Jesselton Point Jetty. We had a double room as it worked out cheaper than dorms, lots of space and they are happy to hold on to bags past your check out time. Chilled out and easy to meet people,clean!

View all Kota Kinabalu Hostels