North Borneo Cabin Reviews

1st & 2nd Floor, No. 74 Jalan Gaya, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Great place to stay! It feels like staying at a local family's house. Lovely staff and location.

Overall a very pleasant stay. Room was clean, hot showers. Staff friendly. Excellent location for us on a diving holiday very close to all the tour operators. Thank you

• 17th Feb 2015

Bathroom and toilet where a little nasty. The room was a bit dirty and the staff wasn't too nice. They did help us with our questions but didn't for exsample smile at all. They also had a baby that cried all the time!

Excellent Hostel, lovely staff very helpful with everything stayed every time I ended up back in KK...

• 30th Jan 2015

Easy to find, in funky Gaya Street, near to "Old Town Coffee". Good security, unfriendly staff, "deluxe" room was disappointing. Didn't like it

It felt more like being in someone's home, more than a hostel. The staff/family are very friendly, but I still couldn't help but feel like I was intruding in their home. There are young children playing in the lobby all day; while they are very cute, the infant seems to cry loudly very often. The children were up until midnight (admittedly I was there on a weekend), and then they are put to sleep on the sofas in the lobby/living room. I wouldn't stay again; there are better hostels in KK.

Decent hostel

Nice hostel with good atmosphere and nice communal area. Breakfast is simple: white bread with jam/butter and bananas. Good value for your money

• 8th Jan 2015

more places to hang clothes would be useful.. it would really help if there are directions on how to get to the hostel from the airport (shuttle bus), and also how to locate the hostel without a gps (upstairs of the zen-q shop and the very crowded bak kut teh restaurant etc.) overall nice stay and recommended.

Well located and friendly staff. Very simple and basic facilities.

Average dorm and private rooms (cleanliness/quality). Good showers. Not a lot of space between common areas and sleeping areas so if people are up it can be hard to sleep. They do give you a sarong when you check in which is nice to lay stuff out on when you go to the beaches.

Excellent location――Gaya Street, makes everything close to it, Tourism Board, post office, night market …… And its sanition and shower devices are definitely the best among a lot of similar hostels for backpackers. Admittedly in my person I don't like the no-key room cuz I was worried that guests from other rooms might get into my dorm, considering its super low price everything unsatisfying could be ignored. Come to North Borneo Cabin, guys!

The family that runs this place are lovely and will do anything to help you out (ask them about boat trips as they have discount vouchers). Facilities and place are basic, you get what you pay for, but no complaints. Definately a good launch pad for further adventures.

Great place to stay. Basic rooms and breakfast but it does the job, very cheap and in a perfect location..the sunday market starts basically at the door step. Everybody has been awesome, they do go the extra mile to help you and if you are lucky enough you might get caught in one of the family reunion. They share and care :)

A few minutes walk to the Jesselton Point, which is quite convenient for me. It is also near many local restaurants. Good location. Facilities very basic.

It is a very nice place to spend no more than a few days and relax. Very basic but working facilities. I liked it!

When I received an email telling me they were overbooked I was initially upset but staff made another reservation for me at a different place or gave me the option of another room and blocking it out so I could have it as the private I initially booked. It was so nice of them!

The room was super small. Way smaller than expected, but it was perfectly functional. It felt very prison like as the cement walls were just cold slabs of stone. The AC didn't work but the fan was more than enough. It's not like we spent much time in the room anyways. The shared toilet and shower were always clean which was nice. The inclued breakfast is just toast, butter, and jam. One day there were a couple of bananas too. Location was good, right in central KK. Staff was always helpful.

Basic dorms, basic showers, basic breakfast, but does the job. Very nice staff

location and price are exellent,but the mix room has no aircon,and the fan is broken

View all Kota Kinabalu Hostels