North Borneo Cabin Reviews

1st & 2nd Floor, No. 74 Jalan Gaya, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

You pay for what you get. I wanted a really cheap place to stay for a one-night stay, and I got it. The result is: convenient location, but pretty rundown hostel. Overall it was a pretty dull, dreary atmosphere with cheap furniture. Bedroom lights were dim which made it hard to see. But everything was functional and the staff was kind enough. Stay here if you just want a place to sleep, not a place to hang out.

I stayed at North Borneo multiple times while exploring the KK area. This place can't be beaten when it comes to value for money and quality of service. I opted for the dorm each stay and was always greeted with a very clean bed and fresh sheets. The free breakfast is great given the price and the 24 hour tea and coffee is always a nice touch. The staff are very helpful and have answers to any questions regarding transport and surrounding area. Great central location too.

I had a really nice stay at the North Borneo Cabin! The location is great, the facilities are totally okay, it looks really clean and the atmosphere seemed really good - all in all you get a lot for your money. The dorm I stayed in was however really big and didn't have A/C - so the air inside was pretty bad in the morning.

The hostel has all the basic needs covered, great atmosphere, friendly staff and strategic location. However the locker is not placed by the bed which is quite inconvenient. Overall, we had a nice stay and would recommend the hostel.

• 3rd Sep 2015
  • Malaysia

On day I arrived there was NO water. It had been turned off no one explaining why. WIFI was intermittent. Never had my sheets changed while I was there for 2 weeks. NO, I didn't complain, but some people might !

• 23rd Aug 2015

Decent hostel, good value for money, nice staff very friendly and helpful; the dorms are OK, showers and common bathroom cleaned every day, basic breakfast but nothing to complain 'cause it's included!

the staff there were amazing, very helpful and very friendly if i stay in kota again i defintely will stay there again.

• 15th Aug 2015

I only stayed here for 1 night in a dorm. The staff were very helpful when I asked about restaurants and tours. The only small issue was the only plug socket for a room of 10 was at one end of the room and only reachable by about 6 beds. It does have a multi socket attached but not great if you need to charge your phone (for alarm) overnight. I would stay here again.

Stayed in a lot nicer places for the same if not less money. Didn't seem to be much effort put into the place.

Excellent location with Sunday Market right down the stairs (if you are into wholesale accessories that you could see everywhere else in Asia), max. 15 minutes walk away from all the diving agencies and one of the biggest malls in KK. Breakfast was toasts and really bad coffee. DISAPPOINTED when one of the staff members tried to guilt trip us into paying for his own mistake. Otherwise nice place to just stay for 8 hours a day and out and about for the rest.

The property was secure and clean. There is a nice backpacker's atmosphere and all the necessary amenities are there. The location is smack dab in the middle of city centre! Very convenient! The staff is also friendly.

Perfectly fine hostel, in a good part of town near to shops banks etc. loads of information on tours and I found the best prices were to book at the hostel after a lot of shopping around! Hot showers as well which is a nice treat! As always you get what you pay for but I've paid the same and had a lot worse at other hostels. Beds ok, air con dorms are definitely worth it, and it's very safe. Would recommend

View all Kota Kinabalu Hostels