North Borneo Cabin Reviews

1st & 2nd Floor, No. 74 Jalan Gaya, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia

Excellent location with Sunday Market right down the stairs (if you are into wholesale accessories that you could see everywhere else in Asia), max. 15 minutes walk away from all the diving agencies and one of the biggest malls in KK. Breakfast was toasts and really bad coffee. DISAPPOINTED when one of the staff members tried to guilt trip us into paying for his own mistake. Otherwise nice place to just stay for 8 hours a day and out and about for the rest.

The property was secure and clean. There is a nice backpacker's atmosphere and all the necessary amenities are there. The location is smack dab in the middle of city centre! Very convenient! The staff is also friendly.

Perfectly fine hostel, in a good part of town near to shops banks etc. loads of information on tours and I found the best prices were to book at the hostel after a lot of shopping around! Hot showers as well which is a nice treat! As always you get what you pay for but I've paid the same and had a lot worse at other hostels. Beds ok, air con dorms are definitely worth it, and it's very safe. Would recommend

A family-run business, the staff were considerate enough and treat guests like a part of their family sometimes. My personal requests were entertained and I was satisfied with my stay there. Toilets and showers are relatively cleaner than the surrounding hostels around. So far my favourite place to stay in KK. P/s: to those who are not familiar with backpacking culture, you pay for what you get, so for less than RM 30 do not expect a five-star treatment as you would get in a hotel.

Great place to stay! It feels like staying at a local family's house. Lovely staff and location.

Overall a very pleasant stay. Room was clean, hot showers. Staff friendly. Excellent location for us on a diving holiday very close to all the tour operators. Thank you

• 17th Feb 2015

Bathroom and toilet where a little nasty. The room was a bit dirty and the staff wasn't too nice. They did help us with our questions but didn't for exsample smile at all. They also had a baby that cried all the time!

Excellent Hostel, lovely staff very helpful with everything stayed every time I ended up back in KK...

• 30th Jan 2015

Easy to find, in funky Gaya Street, near to "Old Town Coffee". Good security, unfriendly staff, "deluxe" room was disappointing. Didn't like it

It felt more like being in someone's home, more than a hostel. The staff/family are very friendly, but I still couldn't help but feel like I was intruding in their home. There are young children playing in the lobby all day; while they are very cute, the infant seems to cry loudly very often. The children were up until midnight (admittedly I was there on a weekend), and then they are put to sleep on the sofas in the lobby/living room. I wouldn't stay again; there are better hostels in KK.

Decent hostel

Nice hostel with good atmosphere and nice communal area. Breakfast is simple: white bread with jam/butter and bananas. Good value for your money

• 8th Jan 2015