Oliver St. John Gogarty Reviews

18-21 Anglesea Street, Temple Bar, Dublin 2, Dublin, Ireland

Brilliant hostel located right in the middle of Temple bar, all staff where fantastic extremely helpful. excellent value for money, very clean and would highly recommend to anyone traveling to Dublin. Our party had two 8 bed dorms so ideal for big groups of traveling people.

• 9th May 2014

I had to leave at 2am on the first night , I was told I'd get a bed , I waited all day then nothing arrived . I was then woken up by another man claiming I was in his bed. , a fight nearly broke out . I went to reception to ask for advice and they could not help and still no bed . I asked fro a refund and they could not do that either . At 2am I had no alternative but to go to the airport and cut short the three day trip , left on a flight on night one . I would not recommend this place .

• 9th May 2014

At the heart of Temple Bar to enjoy the nightlife and close to the major attractions of Dublin to visit them during the day. Nice place ... I will return

• 8th May 2014

Had a fantastic weekend. Have used the hostel many times before and would highly recommend. 5 girls in 1 dorm amazing laugh. Staff are amazing and very helpful and friendly. Will be using again the very near future.

• 8th May 2014
  • Scotland

My roommate recommended this hostel and it did not disappoint! I would definitely stay there again!

Everything was good - very good location, atmosphere, clean bathroom, hot shower all the time, good price even during busy weekend BUT just one key from room for 10 people? I thought that it is joke. All the nights we had open door because of one key.

The location is very good, but you don't feel like in a hostel in this hostel. The staff is not friendly, the window of our room was turned to really inside a bar, so it was very noisy. There was only two socket in a room for 13 people, and far from the beds. There was not enough bathrooms for everyone. So, I recommend only if you want the good location of the hostel.

The hostel was in the best possible location. Since I am from USA, I am an 8 hour time difference from them. It was hard to contact them because the TV room and Kitchen closed at midnight. I understand the noise issue for the rooms adjacent to the common areas, but having another solution to use a good wifi connect on a 24/7 basis would be nice. Internet in the room was not great, which normally isn't a problem when there is a common area to use wifi at all times. No complaint, just a suggestion

We had a great time! Thanx

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland
  • All Male Group, 25-30

They screwed up my booking. I booked a month in advanced & even had it confirmed twice. The weird guy at the desk tried to blame me for it too. He was all 'I can extend you stay' even after I showed him it was originally planed. I had to move rooms to a 4 bed. & the slow/no internet connection made me loose my well priced plane ticket!. They told me my old room was full, but the girls i knew said no one else showed up. Plus the free breakfast is bad. The more attractive receptions is good tho

• 23rd Apr 2014

Late night music and crowd noise was expected (and appreciated) and easy to tune out, however early morning (7.30) high pressure cleaning of the hostel building right outside our window was outrageous, and was constant for over two hours. On leaving the hostel, we were showered with building filth and detritus from the cleaning, with no alternative way out possible. This probably doesn't occur often, but is an indication of how little the hostel cares about its guests.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Nice place to stay and cheap as well. The only problem is the fact that the rooms has only one key and you have to leave it on the reception before you go outside.

Great if noisy location (both during the day and night). You'll struggle to sleep if you're on the first floor, which is where the private rooms are located. Higher up you might be ok. Staff were friendly and resourceful. Pub has a great vibe albeit very overpriced Guinness (but that's typical for Temple Bar).

The room was tiny and had only one little table and one chair to six people. The breakfast wasn't that funny either. We stayed at the 3rd floor and had to carry our bags bc no elevator exsisted. Otherwise the location was ok. Staff was ok but came into your room to clean and didn't ask you if it was ok or to come back later. Won't stay there again. / Swedish girls.

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Sweden

Staff were friendly and helped when needed, but overall the conditions were unclean. The excessive noise at all hours was definitely the worst part. Even though it is great to be central in Dublin the noise until 3am and then getting woken up at 6am everyday by kegs being tossed into a truck is very disturbing. Will not be staying there again.

Location is very central and good, BUT staff, security and the hostel in itself is not worth the visit. For example we stayed in a 10 bed dorm and to this dorm there were only one key! This meant that you had to return the key in the reception or let the door stay open – maybe this could work, but then there have to be some rules, so everybody does the same. At some points people couldn’t get in, because the key was in the room and people were sleeping and closed the door.

Awesome location in best area of the city(Temple Bar), and central to all the sights. We would definitely stay here again.

Great hostel, friendly staff, really good location.

Only point of complaint is what's been addressed in previous reviews as the flawed entry system for the rooms. Only one key between 12 people is not enough. It causes all sorts of issues, one of which being the fact the door is often left open for extended periods of time. Don't let that put you off though, there's good lockers under the bed which squeak if they're moved much. Good hostel, good people.

• 16th Apr 2014

The location and atmosphere of Gogarty's couldn't have been better! I felt really safe and met tons of amazing people, all while getting to hang out in the heart of the tourist district. The staff, Paul, Ronan and David consistently went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of and were always good for a chat :) I would highly recommend this hostel to anyone traveling through Dublin!

• 15th Apr 2014