Rainbow Lodge Backpackers Reviews

99 Titiraupenga St, Taupo, Taupo, New Zealand

Comfortable stay and no fuss. Just what we needed for the night. Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to make a review, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again. :-)

Nice Place with good atmosphere & Everything you need, Clean rooms. Just a bit Cold :) But the heater in the room helps a lot.

Thank you for your comments, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you here again. The under floor heating is now on for winter :-)

Reception staff were awesome, and really knowledgeable its good that they have wooden bunk beds, but the linin & kitchen area were a tad shabby. The sauna is a nice touch. I think we were just unlucky with the roomies :/

Thanks for taking the time to comment. We're in the process of getting new linen after a very busy summer period. Sorry you were unlucky with your roomies. Next time tell us at reception and we'll move you to another room :-)

I'm giving this hostel an average score, because we made a booking online 2 days in advance, yet the staff made a mistake and never transferred our booking from the online system to their own in-house handwritten system. Therefore they accidentally double booked our room. We were very tired when we arrived in Taupo as we were after a long journey. So this was not what we wanted to hear. As we were unable to stay here I scored everything average for this hostel. The staff were very apologetic

Nice hostel, we had a pleasent stay there. The rooms were spacious and clean and had a nice little terrace attached.

Enjoyed my stay. The free made coffee in reception is the real winner in this hostel. A nice, leisurely downhill walk to the lake, right on the rim of the Taupo CBD. Large kitchen and common areas, clean rooms. Accommodating hosts who offer free pick up/drop off at the iSite. Would definitely stay again.

Outstanding combination of value and pleasant location, coupled with a completely natural and friendly staff. One of the few such hostels we would unreservedly recopmmend to others.

Thank you or taking the time to review our backpackers. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Enjoy the rest of your time here in NZ.

Really friendly helpful staff. I would recommend this hostel to others.

We're glad that you would recommend us to others, hope to see you here again one day. :-)

Good atmosphere and helpful staff. I had an ensuite room and while I was out the room was entered by the staff and the windows were left open with my stuff inside. more clean tea towels would be good and about half the gas cookers didn't work. But it was a nice place anyway.

Thank you for comments. The windows are opened every day as its the middle of summer and very hot here in Taupo. All windows have safety latches so none of them can be opened more than 3 inches so nobody can in. Enjoy the rest of your travels :-)

I stayed in a twin with an ensuite and there were beautiful big windows and a decent amount of space. It was nice to also have a tv (for olympic coverage) and a hairdryer. The site is very secure, with keys required for all entrances and a gate for the parking lock that gets locked at night. The staff at the front desk was very helpful, both in explaining the facilities and in providing information for excursions. The kitchen was big and the outdoor seating areas and BBQ were a nice touch.

Thank you for taking the time to rate the backpackers. We're glad you enjoyed your stay :-)

My room was very nice little 4-share with ensuite, it was in the back house, clean and I enjoyed being there. Kitchen in the main house however was a whole another story. I felt it to be one of the saddest I have come across. The knives were not sharp, all kitchen appliances pretty old and grubby, you could not find a clean/dry proper tea towel and it was quite dirty and didn't seem to be cleaned much at all. I did like that there was plenty fridge space and the little pantry to keep food in!

This is a very good place to stay. A short walk to town. The beds are very comphy and quite quiet.

• 7th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand
  • All Female Group, 41+

Bag security on check out was very poor, bed was very soft/uncomfortable. The staff were very friendly.

The atmosphere was nice. All of the people staying there were really friendly and outdoorsy. I didn't dislike the place, but it felt pretty crowded, especially in the kitchen/common area. Cutlery ran out a couple of times. As far as cleanliness goes, my sheets had some weird stains on them that I unfortunately didn't notice until the office was closed, which was not ideal. However, the staff thoroughly cleans the kitchen every night, so that's nice. Overall, I'd say it's alright for what it is.