Rainbow Lodge Backpackers Reviews

99 Titiraupenga St, Taupo, Taupo, New Zealand

I'm giving this hostel an average score, because we made a booking online 2 days in advance, yet the staff made a mistake and never transferred our booking from the online system to their own in-house handwritten system. Therefore they accidentally double booked our room. We were very tired when we arrived in Taupo as we were after a long journey. So this was not what we wanted to hear. As we were unable to stay here I scored everything average for this hostel. The staff were very apologetic

Nice hostel, we had a pleasent stay there. The rooms were spacious and clean and had a nice little terrace attached.

Enjoyed my stay. The free made coffee in reception is the real winner in this hostel. A nice, leisurely downhill walk to the lake, right on the rim of the Taupo CBD. Large kitchen and common areas, clean rooms. Accommodating hosts who offer free pick up/drop off at the iSite. Would definitely stay again.

Outstanding combination of value and pleasant location, coupled with a completely natural and friendly staff. One of the few such hostels we would unreservedly recopmmend to others.

Thank you or taking the time to review our backpackers. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. Enjoy the rest of your time here in NZ.

Really friendly helpful staff. I would recommend this hostel to others.

We're glad that you would recommend us to others, hope to see you here again one day. :-)

Good atmosphere and helpful staff. I had an ensuite room and while I was out the room was entered by the staff and the windows were left open with my stuff inside. more clean tea towels would be good and about half the gas cookers didn't work. But it was a nice place anyway.

Thank you for comments. The windows are opened every day as its the middle of summer and very hot here in Taupo. All windows have safety latches so none of them can be opened more than 3 inches so nobody can in. Enjoy the rest of your travels :-)

I stayed in a twin with an ensuite and there were beautiful big windows and a decent amount of space. It was nice to also have a tv (for olympic coverage) and a hairdryer. The site is very secure, with keys required for all entrances and a gate for the parking lock that gets locked at night. The staff at the front desk was very helpful, both in explaining the facilities and in providing information for excursions. The kitchen was big and the outdoor seating areas and BBQ were a nice touch.

Thank you for taking the time to rate the backpackers. We're glad you enjoyed your stay :-)

My room was very nice little 4-share with ensuite, it was in the back house, clean and I enjoyed being there. Kitchen in the main house however was a whole another story. I felt it to be one of the saddest I have come across. The knives were not sharp, all kitchen appliances pretty old and grubby, you could not find a clean/dry proper tea towel and it was quite dirty and didn't seem to be cleaned much at all. I did like that there was plenty fridge space and the little pantry to keep food in!

This is a very good place to stay. A short walk to town. The beds are very comphy and quite quiet.

• 7th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand
  • All Female Group, 41+

Bag security on check out was very poor, bed was very soft/uncomfortable. The staff were very friendly.

The atmosphere was nice. All of the people staying there were really friendly and outdoorsy. I didn't dislike the place, but it felt pretty crowded, especially in the kitchen/common area. Cutlery ran out a couple of times. As far as cleanliness goes, my sheets had some weird stains on them that I unfortunately didn't notice until the office was closed, which was not ideal. However, the staff thoroughly cleans the kitchen every night, so that's nice. Overall, I'd say it's alright for what it is.

What a wonderful place. On arrival, and initially, it seems nothing special - your usual 'bread-and-butter' hostel, but we got great vibes here and all credit goes to the owners, especially Ian who are such friendly, open and interesting people. They are so helpful when it came to trekking advice and as a result our walk around the Northern Circuit was made much better. Fair play to owners keeping PRICES DOWN. Furthermore there's plenty of space, a good Internet deal ($5 unlimited) and GREAT sho

I like this hostel a lot however the kitchen is to small and not really easy to cook/prep your food if there are more than 6 people at the same time. it was a bit annoying. The room was great, clean and really nice. At night really silence. The atmosphere is really good and I recommend others to go here.

Thank you for taking the time to review the backpackers. We're glad you would recommend us to others. Happy travels.

The hostel was really well located as it was a couple blocks out of the 'noisy' part of the town, but this was all still really really close to the lake and restaurants/cafes. The staff was really friendly and helpful and the kitchen was well equipped with all the pots/pans/utensils what not AND spices! That was a definite plus.

• 7th Jan 2014

Thank you for your review, we're glad you enjoyed your stay, our location away from the noise and the free spices. Happy travels.

Shared facilities rather dirty, lots of moles in the kitchen, toilets and shower facilities, however the room was clean. We wanted to take shower and store backpacks after checking out, because of an evening coach to Wellington. When we checked in we were told that was not a problem but after checking out we were told to pay 6$ dach of a "day charge". Definitely not recommended.

We offer a free baggage storage for people that checkout at 10am until 4pm. Any time after 4pm occurs a $5 day charge which lets you use all the facilities until your bus left at 1am. We think this is quite reasonable and are disappointed you didn't talk to us at the time if you were unhappy.

Always a nice place to stay, have stayed twice now. Not directly near the lake but not too far away and in quiet location. Kept clean and tidy and nice big communal area. Friendly staff.

We only stayed here for one night, but wish it was longer! After some bad hosteling experiences, this place renewed our faith that there are good hostels out there. The staff are very friendly, and though it's not in the centre of town, it's only a short walk away, and close to the Huka Falls area.

Thanks for your comments guys, we wished you'd stayed longer as well, enjoy the rest of New Zealand :-)

Great hostel, very friendly and helpful staff. We stayed in a private double, was like a hotel room, well furnished and clean, with TV, hairdryer, and decent shower. Loads of parking too. Not as central in Taupo as other hostels but easily walkable. Very secure too.

• 20th Nov 2013

Cheers for taking the time to rate our hostel, we're glad you enjoyed your stay.

This is my favourite hostel in the world :) The staff is just the best, so nice and helpful with whatever you need! The hostel and all facilities gives a very nice feeling, good atmosphere, and they have a sauna wich is very comfy. I must say I really like Taupo as well, I was just passing by on my way down to the south but ended up staying for several days. Don't know if it was mostly because of the hostel or the town, but go there and see for yourself!!

Nice, helpful staff and clean rooms

We're glad you enjoyed your stay, thank you for your comments.