Ram Bhawan, Kautilya Society Residence Reviews

D-20/21 Munshi Ghat, Varanasi, India

Kautilya Society has to be one of the best hostels I've stayed in. The staff is very friendly, a simple breakfast and delicious lunch is included in the stay and the hostel is full of interesting people from around the world. What more can you ask for? There's also a water filtration system so you save 40 rupees/day that you would have otherwise spent on bottled water. The power is reliably backed up and there's good wifi and a wonderful rooftop view. Thanks for making me feel at home in Benares

Dear Chales, Thank you for the lovely review. We are glad that Kautilya Society is able to provide a home for like-minded travelers who join a combined effort to make the house a community of travelers. It is people like you who help us create a space that enables people to feel at home, where travelers are happy to start conversing on various topics and help each other. Best wishes, The Kautily Society Management

I think was too expensive....its a really nice please and also i liked the socity and food and all stuff they made for dinner!!! But im still thinking about the price!! Next time i will think about it

We enjoyed very much staying at Ram Bhawan. The place is superb and the atmosphere really friendly.

• 7th Mar 2014

Excellent! Just let me write one important thing: they try to create a real community; e.g. there is a round (!) table where You can eat Your breakfast and lunch so You can talk with other guests (and the guests are very nice, as well as the staff).

Great friendly atmosphere and super location. Clean and safe. Highly recommended.

• 7th Feb 2014
  • Poland

Without a doubt one of the best "hostels" i stayed in ever. The atmosphere is perfect. Nice and clean rooms. Very friendly staff. breakfast (basic) and lunch (incredibly good Indian food) are included. Location right in the middle of Varanasi next to the Ganges. cozy roof terras/cafe to meet up with others. Also very easy to socialise with other guests, so good for solo travelers.

Very nice place to stay, its clean and staff will help you in everything you want.

• 26th Jan 2014
  • Colombia

The Kautilya Society Residence is an amzing place! I really loved to be there, the hous is so nicelly decorated and really make you feel at home. I would have loved to stay longer and have the possibility to speack more with the people that actually created the place. If I come beck to India I definitly come beck to Varansi and maybe I can organize something with you. Maybe a workshop about mushrooms cultivation (my job!)!

• 25th Jan 2014

More a reflection on Varanasi but we left a day early. Our room had private ensuite and I am guessing would have been one of the most expensive rooms they had. Unfortunately the mattress was to thin and hard and casued us some problems.

Deserves the best hostel in India award and more. One of the three best hostels I have ever stayed in and my travels have been pretty extensive. Dorms are big and comfortable, staff is incredibly friendly, the included breakfast is good and the lunch is just out of this world. Perfect location to explore my favourite city in India, and oasis from the madness outside. Great rooftop cafe with Ganges views. We even had an awesome new years party up on the roof with locals and guests and staff.

It was great having the reverse osmosis system for drinking water! The food was also nice and we appreciated having it. Location was excellent and staff helpful.

Really nice place to stay in Vrindavan. Realy nice food also in their restaurant, and very clean!

Keep up the good and friendly service! And the menu is fantastic!

Ram bhavan is a wonderful place and the location is amazing, there cause is superb. I would say this place is the best for meeting and interacting with people from different part of the world as well.

• 15th Dec 2013
  • India

Sometimes whenever you walk into a hostel you get a warm feeling right away, they feel like home. Kautilya Society defenitly is one of these hostels. The staff is very friendly, it's on a good location and the facilities are awesome! They make you a nice breakfast and lunch as well. I wish I could have stayed longer.

One of the best hostels ever. Right at ghats, spotless throughout, great breakfast and lunch and wonderful rooftop cafe. The showers are hot and beds are comfortable with reading light and lots of charging points. Great place to meet other travellers and it's also an ngo charity!! Incredible refuge in hectic but fascinating Varanasi

Very challenging to find, the alleys that lead to this place are definitely full of character! keep going down the alley to you see the stairs and the tiny temple, follow the signs that say "baba guesthouse" or "ali baba" and the Kautilya Society Residence will be the building at the kink in the road. Loved the place, loved the food, and the people. Very good experience here. One thing to note are that the beds are very hard, you have a thin mattress on wood, hopefully they get new ones soon!

An amazing place, with lovely staff and great hospitality. Very clear and taken care of, this old building gives the feel of an authentic Indian experience. Excellent views from the rooftop for a chilled afternoon, accompanied by a very good espresso.

More than just an excellent value for money, this place just scores high on all fronts. It is one of the best hostels I have come across in India and has more of a "home feeling" than "hostel feeling". I wish there were more places like this all over India so that travelers have a place to rest and meet each other.

A very good hostel in the heart of Varanasi within 30 seconds of the river and run by very kind staff. There are no dorm rooms as you may expect in a typical hostel but it isn't a terrible trouble. The hostel provides breakfast and lunch which were excellent every time I was fortunate enough to eat in! Really, overall a great hostel that is most likely one of the most, comparatively, modern hostels in India.