River View Guesthouse and Hostel Reviews

94 & 96, Jalan Kampong Pantai, Melaka, Malaysia

Free cake! Excellent location with scenic views of the river. And very friendly staff! Bike rental was a bonus too, we used them the whole three days we were there :-)

• 16th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand

Great spot on river.lovely garden and setting.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • New Zealand
  • Couple, 41+

Very basic place, but with a nice atmosphere. There's a huge hole in the matress of the lower bunk in the 3-bed dorm. Good value for money though, and the wifi worked. Plus it has a great view of the river.

Lovely guesthouse right in the middle of old town. Air con was good. Showers upstairs were bad....barely enough water pressure. Shower downstairs worked fine however. Breakfast wasn't included but they left out fresh cakes and fruit to help yourself. Would recommend to a friend!

I had such a great stay - Ray and Mani were so so helpful and kind. And your guesthouse is beautiful! Will recommend it for sure.

Owner and staff friendly and helpful. Upstairs patio is a nice place to relax and view the river below. Only downside was tiny room size (but other rooms might be fine).

Make yourself a cup of tea and sit overlooking the river;the best thing to do in Melaka town. Very nice atmosphere in this guest house

Perfect location perfect guest house....best place ever!!!! migliore guest house trovata in 4 mesi di viaggio davvero si sta benissimo sembra di essere a casa! Grazie di tutto

• 8th Jun 2014

Loved my stay here, the owner Raymond was very friendly in greeting me on arrival and pointing places of interest on the map, and answering any questions. His wife immediately gave me a glass of cold beverage, and as others have mentioned, provides baked goods on the kitchen table that guests are free to take. The place was very quiet, to the point where I felt like I had it all to myself, and located a short walk away from all the main tourist sites. The other staff were very friendly as well.

great house with beautiful interior, offer tea/coffee and delicious cake and fruits, beautiful balcony next to the river, good location

Owner Raywin was lovely. Very welcoming and friendly, however all of the other staff let the guesthouse down. On one occasion I walked out of my room to put something in the fridge and was shouted at by one of the male staff with a very rude 'hello, room no?' Which made me feel very uncomfortable like I wasn't meant to be there. Also he had obviously forgotten that he had actually checked us in the previous day. The check in and welcome meeting was halved arsed! Lovely building. Shabby room.

• 16th May 2014

Dorm has 3 beds for 20 myr. Very nice place with great patio overlooking the river.

• 14th May 2014

A fantastic place to stay during our time in Melacca. The rooms are basic, but are set in a beautiful old house with a stunning terrace with river view. The home made cake on offer in the afternoon was delicious! We would stay here again!

• 12th May 2014
  • Belgium

Lovely hostel in safe area. Clean, comfy and excellent tasty free cake. Staff very helpful .. Place is often full as a result of good reviews so try to book in advance, especially if arriving at the weekend. There was a common area - I'm travelling alone - so would have been nice to meet people but no-one ever hung out there. So was a little lacking in atmos. But other than that - a great stay and would recommend. Not much to do in Melaka. So would only stay 2 nights max.

Stay with 3 others friend here last week. The river view from ground and second floor was amazing!! (We spent most of our night time hanging out on the deck) And thanks for the delicious cakes. I think we gain weight after this trip. 😁 Somehow, the housekeeper was not really nice. Maybe she was on bad mood the day we checked in. If you are looking for a cozy, classic stay, this hostel will be perfect for you

• 3rd May 2014
  • Malaysia

Rooms - walls are 'thin' & guests chatting in next room can be heard. Guests who stayed in the room next to mine were inconsiderate & chatted till 12 midnight.

Extremely nice people who work and own this place and in a great location.

Basic little guest house with all the essentials. I stayed in a dorm room which was fine. Unfortunately I arrived on Wednesday and the whole of Melaka was very quiet including the guesthouse It picked up the next day though with lots more people checking in...would recommend visiting Melaka over the weekend.

Very welcoming and host pitiable. Good to have use of a kitchen with unlimited supply of tea/coffee, fridge and the daily supply of home baked cake is a treat! Thanks for the stay.

The building is old and colonial and has a great atmosphere. The view from the terrace is fascinating and one can really relax. The staff are very kind and helpful ... the only possible flaw being that they a bit too persistent on recommending you to dine at certain places (where they probably have connections and receive a commission). I recommend this guesthouse wholeheartedly.

• 11th Mar 2014