River View Guesthouse and Hostel Reviews

94 & 96, Jalan Kampong Pantai, Melaka, Malaysia

Basic little guest house with all the essentials. I stayed in a dorm room which was fine. Unfortunately I arrived on Wednesday and the whole of Melaka was very quiet including the guesthouse It picked up the next day though with lots more people checking in...would recommend visiting Melaka over the weekend.

Very welcoming and host pitiable. Good to have use of a kitchen with unlimited supply of tea/coffee, fridge and the daily supply of home baked cake is a treat! Thanks for the stay.

The building is old and colonial and has a great atmosphere. The view from the terrace is fascinating and one can really relax. The staff are very kind and helpful ... the only possible flaw being that they a bit too persistent on recommending you to dine at certain places (where they probably have connections and receive a commission). I recommend this guesthouse wholeheartedly.

• 11th Mar 2014
  • Bulgaria

When we first arrive the hostel, the rooms look well maintain and clean. But once I flipped up the blanket, there were strands of hair and dust and dirt under it. Guessed the turnover rate of the hostel rooms were so fast that the host does not have enough time to thoroughly clean the rooms but simply swept the floor clean and arranged the beds neat. Suspect the sheets were not change since hair and dirt were found under the tucked blanket. The blankets were definitely not changed which is a ba

• 7th Mar 2014
  • Singapore

Overall the stay was fine besides than the bed bugs part. My boyfriend and I were bitten by the bed bugs in the guesthouse. My boyfriend's condition was quite serious on the 2nd night until he need to go to visit the doctor after we went back. I would not have a second visit to this guesthouse again seriously just because of the bed bugs.

Thank you Carson. You were very kind to me. The not so pleasant parts I let go of.

• 4th Mar 2014

The guest house located in the Melaka China town area. There are 8 rooms, most rooms are two single beds, there was one room with double bed room next to the road where many cars and motorcycles pass. The house is clean, but room is not very clean, especially the blanket, I have been beaten by small insects many places along the legs and arms. The hotel owner is friendly both father and son, and they offer fruit in the morning and homemade cakes in the afternoon, which is very delicious.

Nice people own and run this guesthouse. I give it 5 stars.

• 20th Feb 2014

It was nice place to stay. Generally quiet and clean. The nice surprise would be the afternoon goodies of freshly baked pastries by the owner's wife. Had muffins and cinnamon rolls when I was there. Its yummy.

Thank you so much Raymund for helping us with the taxi and we still made it to the bus ;-) Always feeling at home in the "Riverview"!!!

The day before leaving a boy from staff asked me if I need a taxi. I told him "Yes" for tomorrow 3 p.m.. Next day he woke me up 10.30 a.m. with comment "Taxi is there" :-((( Later he told me Taxi Driver made a mistake. Very bad was then at 3 o'clock no taxi arrived and I must wait outside for a new one.

• 15th Feb 2014

We thank guest for the proactive review. We have checked on this issue. On the day of guest departure, the taxi did indeed arrive at the wrong time and was told to come back at 3pm. Our staff should have been alert instead of knocking on guest's door. However, we were not aware that the driver did not turn up at 3pm. We would have been happy to assist if guest had called us on the house phone provided for assistance. We do sincerely apologise for the inconvenience.

Great value hostel, warm and friendly welcome. Well situated for Chinatown. Lovely traditional property and terrace an excellent extra.

• 13th Feb 2014

I've stayed there for 2 night and it was an awesome. The owner always provide us different cake everyday which made by his wife. It was good service I think even though they don't provide breakfast but the cake is a good boost for your energy to starting the day. They have a tiny backyard so you can just sitting looking the river and chit chat to others.

• 7th Feb 2014
  • Indonesia

This place was perfect for me. I loved the creaky hardwood floors and steep stairs, in a classic building style for the area. It all added to the historical atmosphere of the area and I felt like I was really experiencing Melaka. One of my first impressions of Melaka was standing on the rear balcony looking out over the canel in the setting sun with the Muslim pray call eerily sounding out- magical. The location was perfect: easily close enough in walking distance to the major sights of Melaka.

• 24th Jan 2014

very nice stay, wonderful view over melaka river, very clean. great to relax, close to melaka center. although no breakfast was included, you could have fruits, cake and coffee/tea in the morning. wifi slow at times. staff was very helpful with organizing bus & taxi.

Nice place to stay really enjoyed the old building, the river view and the balcony!

Beautiful interior, wonderful cakes and nice view! Raymond introduces you wonderfully to the homemade citymap! Only it becomes a little loud in the morning if you stay in the dorm and the beds there are average. The cleaning lady is a bit rough and loud... In total: Wonderful stay!

Very nice owner and quite helpfull for us, this is the best hostel we lived in Melacca.

What a lovely place. The guesthouse makes you feel like home, it's in a beautiful building with a gorgeous view. The owners are so nice and helpful, and the homemade cakes and bread are a beautiful touch! If you go to Melaka stay here, you won't regret it.

this hostel is awesome! the place is clean, and it is right in front of the river. It's in the center of Malacca, so you can get around many interesting spots within walking distance