Roof Top Guest House and Hostel Melaka Reviews

39, Jalan Kampong Pantai, Melaka, Melaka, Malaysia

Nice hostel with friendly staff in a really good location. Tea and coffee for 24 hours as well sometimes muffins. Dorm is a spacious room with four single beds in it. Definitely recommend!

I'm really not sure what all the fuss is about...did I stay at the same hostel? I thought the Roof Top hostel was a very simple and clean place but it had absolutely no atmosphere. Most of the time there were no staff around and when I arrived at 9pm there was no one to let me in so i had to walk to a nearby cafe and wait for the guy to finish eating before I could check in. Shower and toilet in the same cubical which is a pet hate of mine. Free cake and fruit was nice but no breakfast. Average!

I stayed at better hostels to be honest. This hostel has a no shoe policy. Thats fine with me if it would be clean to walk everywhere without your shoes on. I found it a bit dirty. Also, you have to use the common showerslippers if you dont want to shower bare-foot. Furthermore, the guy that sits at the desk smells like sweat a little bit. But the van is blowing around this smell around the whole common area. The location is really near everything there is to see in Melaka so thats good!

My favorite part of this hostel was the rooftop garden shower. It's not much but it was nice to shower without a toilet a foot from me and the glass ceiling that allowed me to look at the sky. Will recommend

• 14th Sep 2014

I enjoyed my time and the service. They were really helpful when I needed a taxi booked. The atmosphere was very relaxed. I loved it! I would definitely recommend to others.

Could check in even before the usual time amd there are free muffins from time to time.

Staff almost never available. Clean but sterile atmosphere. Algae growing in sink area. Obsession about no footwear of any kind, even for toilets/showers where plastic slippers of doubtful cleanliness are provided (I used my own shower sandals despite the rules). Air con and a table with chair in the room were appreciated and also good wifi. There are more interesting places to stay in Melaka. Overall, ok for a short stay but nothing special.

Very clean place, and very at home feeling. Not the best place if you want to party hard, but very friendly staff and owner. Had a great time with the staff when going out in the evenings. Also, very informative about the local information, especially about restaurants. Very authentic feeling to it inside the place. Definetely would like to come back!

I've had a really nice week here! Free coffee, tea, fruits and even cake. Do I need to expain more? ;) Large common areas, downstairs and on their rooftop. I stayed in the dorm, which was big enough to accomodate at least 8-10 people in bunk beds, but they chose to place just 4 single beds, which I think was a very good decision. Big lockers, aircon, fan, daylight, daily room cleaning and a lot of space in the room. I will stay here again!

Roof top garden was very relaxing at night but would be better if they had a fan since Melaka is a hot place 365 days a year. Many problems with the internet going down. On Check-in the staff were rude when I told them that I needed to exchange money and although I had already paid my deposit they didn’t want me to leave my bag in the room until we had paid. Staff have very limited The owner also runs River View guesthouse where he spends most of his time. It seems strange that there

Great place. We had Room 9 with a private bath which was located on the third floor. The hostel was VERY clean, quiet, and well-run. The kitchen was large and there is a rooftop garden which overlooked the city.

• 17th Jul 2014
  • Couple, 41+

This is one of the better places we stayed in on our trip through Cambodia, Lao, Thailand and Malaysia. There is little to fault with Roof Top Guesthouse. I will be staying there again next year if there is a vacancy when I am in Melaka. If I could suggest one small thing, and that is that one of the two great roof top areas be made into a non-smoker, so that people that don't smoke can also relax in the great area. Great place to stay.

We were greeted with a fresh drink and a sit down with a staff member giving us a quick orientation of Melacca. Snacks courtesy of the house provided were an added bonus. Staff friendly and helpful. Room was spacious and clean. It's quiet so don't expect a party venue! Great accom and excellent location. Highly recommend. Just remember its payment in cash only so bring enough with you to avoid having to make a trip to an ATM as soon as you arrive.

Nice place, clean, quiet, tidy, pretty. Only down point is that the staff was kind of shy, but I realised he had just arrived, so not so many local advice. No computer, laundry by hand only. Good value for money but not so much contact with the other guests.

Don't leave food out in the open. Put in the fridge or ants will likely get to it. Aside from that, the stay was wonderful and the atmosphere was very peaceful.

It is very nice and good located hostel, just tree minutes walk from the centre. The staff was sometimes a little bit frightening, but who cares? They are polite and helpfull.

Delightful place. Would not hesitate to recommend or use again.

• 4th Jun 2014

Most excellent guesthouse. Safe

Place was good overall, but didnt appreciate the staff. Young guy wasnt helpful when I asked for directions. He asked me to refer to a map. And he brought in a guest to show him around the room w.o asking first if it was ok with us in the room. Just felt it was violating our space, since we pd for it. If we cant go in to ur private space, u shouldnt do the same. A lot of micromanagement, plenty of rules to follow. Felt like u were staying with a too uptight asian family.

We thank guest for the review and would definitely follow up with the staff on the issue of direction. Guest occupied a bed for 2 nights in a 4-bedded mixed dormitory. Our dormitory is not private and there are times we have to open the door to show other potential guests: the beds. Guests are encouraged to stay in private rooms for privacy and once a private room is occupied, it is deemed so. Thank you.

I had a really good time in this guest house. I am traveling now for 8 month and that was the best accommodation on my trip.