Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

My ipad was stolen and nobody gives me attention

Issues: No charging points in the room(1 for 16 persons). Lack of space, not worth the money paid. Positives: Nice breakfast, Peace, 24*7 reception.

It was my first experience In a hostel and it certainly exceeded my expectations! The staff were so lovely, they were helpful, friendly, and very welcoming. That facilities were excellent, very clean. The staff members I came across all seemed genuinely happy to be there, and like they thoroughly enjoyed their "jobs" which was very evident! It wa such a great spot to stay! I would totally recommend it to anyone staying in Amsterdam & will stay there if I am in the city again! God Bless

Fun place! A little bit of a walk to get up to the 2 female dorm but I was okay with that because I had a backpack. Hallway was quite echo-y up there and doors were heavy so don't expect the quietest place. I really liked the staff, hot breakfast was included which is awesome, 4 free computers to use, and a huge kitchen area where you can order food. Made it feel like a restaurant and great for socializing!

All were good. Special thanks for the open access computer with internet :)

• 27th Jul 2014
  • India

I personally found the staff to be rude and somewhat condescending, even to each other. The beds were the most uncomfortable I've ever had to sleep on and the pillows were nothing more than a layer of cotton with a covering. The rooms themselves were tiny and the bathroom/shower area was absolutely disgusting. Not a good stay. The only redeeming factor and why I managed to give this place even a 57% rating was the location. That's it. Not even worth it though. Awful sleep and mediocre staff.

• 27th Jul 2014

A great hostel in a superb location of the city.Even though there were a lot of beds in one room I had my privacy, due to the boards seperating the bunk beds from each other.

the location is perfert, staff is friendly, breferst is provided, but the room is not so good, it's too old, like a students' dormitory. they made a mistake of booking information, so i have to check out in the moring and check in again to change a another room...

Great hostel, breakfast was really good and the people who run the hostel are super nice and friendly. Definitely recommend! The only thing that could be improved is that there aren't any locks on the doors to the bedrooms. But honestly, it's such a minor thing, especially as the receptionists are pretty tight about security and only let people who are residents into the hostel, and the benefits of the place far, far outweigh this minor issue. I really enjoyed my weekend in Amsterdam!

• 26th Jul 2014

Great that you enjoyed your stay with us :) For future reference, or other guests, all rooms with 8 or less beds are locked.

The location is good (10 minutes from the central station), but you must keep in mind, that it is 50m from Red Light District, so it is very noisy at night. Also there was no AC. The stuff was very friendly, the breakfast was good.

The location is great, but a bit noisy at night, staff are very helpful and kind.

Really good location closer to the train station. good for back packers but only problem i faced was Hostel doesn't have proper ventilation. Amazing staff

• 24th Jul 2014

Upon arrival at the hostel it became clear the staff were not strict regarding entry. We were followed by a drunk homeless man to the hostel who arrived shortly after we had been let in, staff let him into the hostel with his trousers around his ankles. We stayed in a four bed private room and one of our party had a portable power bank stolen from beneath his pillow, the staff could not help. For the money we spent compared to other hostels on our trip, we expected much more.

키보증금 안돌려줘놓고 달라니까 안돌려줬다는 증거가 없다면서 안줬어요.. 그것도 15유로나...이젠 메일을 해도 무시하네요 스탭들은 착하고 좋았어요...시설은 별로에요 계단도많은데 엘레베이터없어서 짐옮기느라 낑낑 힘들었어요

• 23rd Jul 2014
  • South Korea

Shelter City was a wonderful hostel, because they care for their travellers. Each morning you can get a selfmade breakfast and enjoy this breakfast in the awesome Garden! Additionally, there are always some little but great Events at the evening. Moreover, the staffs are sooo friendly and just show you all great places in Amsterdam!! I just can recomment the shelter city. I will return some time :D

Superb! Awesome staff, very helpful and friendly. Excellent breakfast, highest praise for the hot breakfast. Definetely try it! Everything was spot on- i felt very secure, even when in room with 15 others. we loved to spend time in the terrace, it is very beautiful. you can play games, pinkponk... The hostels only fault is that it doesnt have a kitchen for use. But you can use the fridge and microwave. There is also food available in the cafe for a reasonable price. Cant wait to visit again!

Almost everything was great in Shelter City- its facilities, its charging services, its security (despite its location in Red Light District),and its friendly staff! But, I really wish that I could have some more for breakfast... I could not really eat enough, the portion was actually quite small and soon I was hungry before the lunchtime...

• 23rd Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

We're happy you had a good time staying with us, but it's a shame you didn't see the extra free bread, jam and juice available for everyone during breakfast. We're sorry you were hungry :(

역과의 위치는 좋습니다. 하지만 3층높이의 방에 엘리베이터없이 본인이 캐리어를 지고올라가야합니다. 조식은 그런대로 괜찮은편,

I think the service at the check in, can be much more efficient. As before, i had to wait a long time before things were done. Even i was lucky to be the first person waiting.

• 21st Jul 2014

10 min walking to Amsterdam Centraal. Albert Heijns supermarket nearby. Free breakfast (1 item only) and cafe serves reasonably priced made-to-order food until 10pm. Free linens. Secure and safe access. 24/7 helpful staff. Facility and rooms bit old. Loud at times, even night. Bike out from here. For the location and price, this place is hard to beat!