Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I really enjoyed my stay at the Shelter Hostel in the centre of Amsterdam. The location was perfect and everything was within walking distance from the hostel. As it is a Christian hostel, we were invited to discussions and evening prayers, but the staff was never pushy on this subject. Dorms were ok and the beds very comfortable. We enjoyed a free hostel dinner on Friday which was very nice and a free city tour which we really enjoyed and met a lot of amazing people from all over the world.

• 5th Mar 2015

I thought this place was awesome. I felt really safe and the staff wanted me to be comfortable and were incredibly accommodating. Super awesome location, it is right in the middle of the red light district and less than a mile walk to Dam Square

• 5th Mar 2015

Great atmosphere, great location, nice staff.

• 5th Mar 2015

A very pleasant and revitalising experience. I went to Holland to get away, And have come back with a purpose. God is there for all, all you need is prayer and faith. He is listening and his army are ready to march. It takes but one word, and he will come. That word is " Jehovah "

• 5th Mar 2015

It was awesome to stay in a Christian hostel and have such a peaceful environment in the middle of the red light district. The location was awesome and we really enjoyed our stay.

• 5th Mar 2015

The atmosphere that the faculty created was excellent and welcoming! They even provided free dinner on Friday, along with each morning. In addition, they provided a free walking tour. If only they had more outlets in the rooms.

Great location in the middle of Amsterdam, within walking distance of everything. They had a good breakfast and friendly staff. Bathroom facilities are busy. Good value for money

I was staying in the Hostel three nights and i really had a wonderfull time. The staff and travellers were very friendly. The Hostel is near Niewmarkt and you can just walk everywhere you want. You don't need a Bus Ticket. I definetly recommend it.

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Hungary

Very nice staff, didn't like how anyone could walk into your room though. I liked that they had events to do at night such As a bonfire. And Oliver the cat was very cute :) safe atmosphere

• 28th Feb 2015

If you want a cheap hostel come here. Facilities look like an old school converted to hostel. Walls had no plugs and look old and dirty. Toilets looked like camping sites ones. I had nothing against religion, but this places goes one step ahead and bombards you with christian signs like "Jesus loves you". When I arrived one guy was complaining about a stolen iPhone. Lockers dont close very well, get a big padlock for them. There were old ppl in my room (80 ). Breakfast was the only good thing.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood ^^!

• 26th Feb 2015
  • South Korea

It was quite nice, good place(it is located in the middle of red light district, but not that dangerous) nice security (you should show your voucher when you come in), and sooo nice staffs.(all the staffs I met was very kind and friendly) Breakfast was also perfect. I could choose among musli, bread, or warm menu(pancakes, french toast, or bread with fried egg-it depends on the day of the week). Only poor thing was wifi.. It was terrible even in the lobby

That one is a great hostel with a perfect location! You can use front desk services for maps, charging your phone and good advices about city. Guys are really awesome and kind. Breakfast is quite good you know for a hostel, rooms are tidy but pretty small (don't know others mine was like that) So if are you planing to go to Amsterdam, you can stay here with inner peace!

Could improve on the free breakfast being provided. could give more than one option to the people who stay

The staff is amazing, the free breakfast in the morning is fulfilling and delicious, and it's a Jesus-centered friendly atmosphere within the red light district. I learned a lot about God and the amazing miracles he's done from people all over the world. There were a few creepy old people who were staying there… it's not a youth hostel… and they didn't have a community kitchen or a lot of space to hang out aside from the cafe (I might of just been spoiled by hostels in other cities)

Excellent localisation, helpfully and friendly staff ! Good services as well!

Great Location, friendly stuff, only negative: you cannot cook your own food. There is only a little fridge and a microwave.

I enjoyed the company I found at Shelter City, and the atmosphere. They had a good system of security, and I was very appreciative of them charging my cell phone securely in the desk drawer. The breakfast was average for a hostel, although I wished there had been a gluten-free option in there. The only small note I would like to make is that I wish I could have been allowed to stay in the hostel cafe after check-out at 10 AM, since my flight didn't leave until 8:30 PM.

excellent location, nice characteristic building. outstanding friendliness.

• 23rd Feb 2015

The staff was more than friendly and helpful, i'd come back there not because of hostel but because of great people who work there!

• 23rd Feb 2015