Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Good and easily to find. just 10 min from Centraal station. stay near Nieuwmarkt and attractive place. A little bit noisy at night due to close to RL district. Staff are very friendly and appreciate for their kindness to run this hostel.

Nice hostel and staff. great location

• 10th Sep 2015
  • Portugal

Overall good experience, but most of the staff are recently new and rotate pretty frequently so you are always having to deal with the new volunteers learning curve.

• 9th Sep 2015

Staff is so nice,they have some event in friday so is easy to meet people, and make you feel safe

This hostel was good because of it's location, but there wasn't much atmosphere. The breakfast was delicious and and the dinner you could buy was a great value for what you got!

Room mates not considerate at all, purposely make noise in the middle of the nights, provoke others. On the 2nd nights, the staff(i guess is chinese) came and warn them, thank god.

It was my first time staying in a hostel and could not believe that it was actually really good. It was clean Staffs were very helpful. As I forgot to take adaptor, they charged my phone and e-cig at the reception everyday. I am going back with some friends and definitely staying at shelter house.

• 7th Sep 2015

Great location. Nice Breakfast. A bit over crowded. Too many people walking around. Toilets were not the cleanest .

Hostel was great! Besides the great security system as well as for charging, I particularly liked that they were not on my face in terms of it being a christian hostel.

• 6th Sep 2015

Worst hostel ever. Too expensive. Horrible area. Dirty sheets. Staff were friendly in a fake way. Would never recommend staying here. Ruined my Amsterdam experience.

• 5th Sep 2015

Nice hostel. Recommend. Great location.

The hostel was welcoming, safe and secure. I felt completely comfortable staying there alone. Wonderfully welcoming and hospitable staff in a great location. I highly recommend.

• 4th Sep 2015

Great hostel, but careful with your belongings. Someone stole my pair of jeans and umbrella...

• 4th Sep 2015
  • Malaysia

My stay was enjoyable, staff was nice and helpful, the room was clean but small and overall the hostel was nice and tidy. There's no kitchen, but there's bar in the hostel where you can get food and in the morning the staff will prepare your breakfast!

Amazing location and all the facilities we needed. Breakfast was great and included in price, and rooms were clean and spacious. A bit loud at night from outside, but only since it was such an awesome location was that the case as it was so central and an easy walk from anywhere centrally. If in Amsterdam would recommend.

Fantastic, central location. Staff were very welcoming. Christian hostel but still very open for all kinds of people. They also have a lovely, live in hostel cat that roams the grounds.

I only stayed for one night but it was extremely well located. Right in the red light district. Staff were friendly enough. Because it is a Christian hostel obviously no alcohol was allowed inside.

Possibley teach proper edicate to all travelers especially the young ones. For example second night a girl flipped on the main light to get ready for bed at 1130 instead of politely and quietly fumbling around in the dark like the rest of us. She woke up ten people and 1130 is late. Second 8 young girl kept the room up till 130 in the am talking, giggling, getting ready to leave and turning on the lights. We asked for the lights to be off and for quiet but nothing. It was so rude.

I really enjoyed to stay at Shelter! You have an amazing stuff! And I love the cafe! If possible, please tell the people who stay there, to be more silent between 00:00-8:00. It was loud about midnight, (people talking loudly, passing the corridor loudly), so it was hard to fall asleep. It was great to stay with you! Thank you!

• 2nd Sep 2015
  • Poland

We got bitten during our stay here and as the weather was relatively cold we can only presume this was from the beds. It was not clearly advertised that this was a Christian hostel and as neither of us are Christian there seemed to be an awkward atmosphere. We were preached to by staff. The Internet was rubbish, although free and the paper slip to enter the hostel was a bit rubbish.

I think it was mosquitos, we don't have bed bugs!