Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Nice position and breakfast! Good value for money!

• 13th Jun 2014

It was my first time in a hostel and it was totally different from what I expected. Wide and comfy showers, comfy beds, really good environment, kind and friendly staff, and very importantly, no one tries to impose Christianity onto you life. Rules are clear and fair and everyone respects them. The food was delish especially the hot breakfast.

• 13th Jun 2014
  • Panama

This place is great! Everyone there is very nice and friendly. The staff is spectacular. Most the friends I made there were acctualy staff members. Pay once and get great breakfast every morning you stay. It's not just toast and juice either. Utilities are good. Except only a couple outlets in each room plus no washing machine. The place is very clean, and has a great atmosphere. Also the hostel is just around the corner to everything you need. Check out shelter Jordaan is city is all booked up!

very friendly staff.

Its a Christian Hostel and i didnt knew it before arriving, but it wasnt TOO bad. I would recommend to have a nice place to meet people and drink something to have a better atmosphere inside. The breakfast was really bad, you have 2 options and I always finished hungry after those breakfast, just 2 toasts and some ham and bread.

Sorry that you went hungry. There is always extra free bread and jam plus juice available for everyone. Next time just ask :)

very friendly and helpful staff, very peaceful atmosphere, very quiet although in the heart of the city.

• 11th Jun 2014

Great location with a very friendly group of staff members. The hostel was very clean and the facilities had everything you needed.

• 10th Jun 2014

The location is convenient and safe, but around the red light district.

• Taiwan

I had a great time staying at this hostel! They have a wonderful, free breakfast in the mornings and the staff are very kind! Unfortunately, the setup of the rooms/bathrooms is not ideal and you have to walk down a public hallway to get to the women's bathroom. I also received several spider bites while staying here because they left the doors to the dorm room (on the first floor) open during the day.

Thanks for your comments - I'm glad you had a good time. If you come back next time book an en-suite room because then you have a private bathroom inside your bedroom :)

A very highly recommended place to stay on all levels.

Really friendly staff!!

• 10th Jun 2014

I truly love this hostel, it just 3 mins walk to the red light district :D staff is very pretty and kindness. But the toilet is ugly dirty!

Well it was my second time, so that says it. I chose to go back. Would prefer location outside red light district though. Will try Jordaan hostel next time.

A very nice hostel in the heart of Amsterdam. It was my first stay in this beautiful city and it exceeded my expectations :) I was a little sceptical due to the comments on hostelwold concerning cleanliness etc, but now I assume they came from people who expect hotel standards in a hostel and/ or who've never been in a hostel before. It was clean and the staff was very helpful all the time; also, I liked the dividing walls between the bunks. Made me feel like a 4 bed room instead of 16. :)

• 9th Jun 2014

Very nice and safe hostel. Very close to the center and to the red light district. Highly recommended!!

• 7th Jun 2014

The best place to stay when on a budget in Amsterdam !!

Nice place everithing ok.

• 7th Jun 2014

Staff there were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were overcrowded and without any locks, my upper bunk bed didn't have the ladder for the first night, which was fixed the second night but my bed was made over without me checking out and I never found my travel towel again, which was the only thing I did not bother to lock away.

Hostel was very clean and clearly well run and safe. Friday night dinner very tasty and I didn't mind the evangelistic bit on the end as payment. Staff was generally excellent except an incident when a light was bothering me at night and the night staff clearly couldn't care less. In the end I moved beds and told them - a solution they should have suggested themselves. Do not sleep in room 1 bed 14. The emergency exit light will give you a sleepless night.

• 6th Jun 2014

This place was great! Everyone was extremely helpful and nice. I thought sleeping in a 16 person room would be a bit strange, but it wasn't bad at all. The free breakfast was very good. I would definitely come back here.

• 6th Jun 2014