Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I've never seen so strict place. It is a christian hostel, so it's more like a prision then a place to spend the night and relax from the crowded streets of Amsterdam. They are mad about security and you always have to have hundret of different papers they give you in order to enter. The people on the reception were the rudest people I've ever seen. They relly made us feel like unwanted. No smoking and drinking alowed. Cleanliness was very poor. The only nice thing was the free breakfast.

• 25th Apr 2014
  • Bulgaria

Very good location, quite room. Very nice and helpful staff. Breakfast was tasty. Wifi was available in our room on the ground floor. Only 3 Plugs in our 16-Female Dorm, which made it Very Inconvenient to Charge. Each time we had to charge in the public area or in the corridor. No lock for the door of our room. Shower nozzles were mounted highly on the wall. The water pressure was too small. I didn't think it's comfortable to take a shower. But this hostel's price was competitive in Amsterdam.

Very happy with facilities, the new ensuite was cleaned every day! The 4 bed dorm had extra blankets and good sized lockers. Excellent location next to the red light district and you wouldn't know it once inside. Atmosphere was very lacking especially during our stay over Kings Day. Overall very happy.

Great location, could have been a little cleaner, inclusive breakfast was good. Rather loud at night.

A good hostel

Near Amsterdam Centraal. Very close to the red light district but it's not at all a bother because it's very safe. Plenty of restaurants nearby.

I paid more than 30 euros and the breakfast was so poor compared with other hostel in Amsterdam for the same price or less. Moreover, you can use the Lugagge Room just until 6 PM, wich was not said before. The best thing in this hostel is the security.

Breakfast could be better, the room a bit small.

The ladies toilets downstairs (next to the café) could have been more tidy (toilet paper was laying on the floor all around which didn´t give such a good impression). We stayed in the female 4 bed dorm ensuite. The ventilation of the bathroom was running all night. Is that normal?! It was quite noisy. Apart from that we were quite pleased with our stay.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Nice old building in the centre of the city. Very friendly staff. Room (2 pers) good enough for sleeping, nice bed. Relaxing is better in other places of the hotel, like the restaurant or the yard. Showers as a pity high on the wall and no possibility to aim the water properly, so first part of the cabin - where you leave your cloths, becomes wet as well. But this was the only negative thing I could discover. Good choice in breakfast: warm, standard Dutch or muesli with yoghurt or milk.

• 23rd Apr 2014

Should have more plug in the room. It has only 1 plug per room.

• 22nd Apr 2014
  • Thailand

I stayed in a four person suite which has a lock on it (the 12 and 20 person rooms are just doors anyone can open and close). My room door was locked and one day after coming back, my phone charger was stolen by housekeeping or someone somehow broke into my room. I told the front desk, and they didn't even offer to replace my charger (they had like 20 themselves) or give me some money to buy another one (even though I strongly hinted at it).

• 22nd Apr 2014

Great location, central to the train station & the entire city. Staff was really friendly. It's a Christian hostel but no one pressured me or ever made me feel uncomfortable. Great wifi. I was in a big dorm and the room's door didn't have a lock but it is very secure to enter the hostel. Bathroom was cleaned twice a day, but a few of the guests seemed to spread a lot of water on the counters, otherwise it was very clean. I also stayed in a different hostel in the city and much preferred Shelter.

Shelter city is a christian hostel, the staff are very helpful and knew the answers to any questions we asked about Amsterdam. I think that security is a problem there, I didn't use a locker because I carried all my valuables on me during the day (passport, money, phone etc) and I just left my other belongings such as my clothes at the foot of my bed however even though there was nothing worth taking, my liquids and headphones were taken. My friend was also stolen from at a different time.

• 20th Apr 2014

I really enjoyed my stay at the Shelter other than an incident on the first night with a girl in my 20 bed dorm suffering the side-effects of Space Cake. Although , this wasn't a fault of the hostel and the staff dealt with it well. The staff are the loveliest, kindest people and gave helpful insiders tips about the city and were happy and interested to talk to guests. Great location, free WiFi, good breakfast and overall a nice atmosphere.

The staff are very friendly. The facilicity is fine,at lease you will have all the basic. We liked the atmosphere of the hostel,but the price is a bit too high, maybe it's just because it Easter.

• 19th Apr 2014
  • China

I arrived at the Hostel 3hrs late due to travel delays and was made to feel very welcome on my arrival , was booked in and shown the layout very prompt and efficiently The hostel itself is a Christian hostel but at no point was i pressured into anything or anything forced onto me regarding my faith although i am a christian. I had booked a 2 person dorm and made my way to the room , it was a basic clean and comfy room exactly what i was expecting , bunkbed , chair , sink very good place

I greatly enjoyed my stay at Shelter City, the staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was delicious and different every day. They also have planned activities that you can join in on, I was there for Easter weekend and they put together an Easter egg hunt, so much fun. Even though the hostel in located in the Red Light Distrist it is very quiet inside and you feel very safe. I will definitely be recommending this hostel to my friends who plan to visit Amsterdam. Cheers

Hard to find the location

• 19th Apr 2014
  • Thailand
  • All Female Group, 41+

Great staff for an hostel in a very good place of the city.

• 18th Apr 2014