Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Such kind and caring staff! We had a wonderful experience. Wish that more shelter Christian hostels would spread throughout the work! What an awesome mission!

Thank you so much. We were so surprise to find such a ministry in the centre of Amsterdam. I never had the idea that you accommodate 200 people. It was so peaceful. What an amazing staff and thank you for the ministry.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Namibia

The staff was very nice and helpful. I was surprised how clean the bedlinen were. The bathroom facilities could have been better. A bit of renovating is needed. The breakfast was good, but I found it weird that there was only one portion for each. It would be good if there was a toaster for the additional toast everyone can get.

• 1st Jul 2014

Good place to stay; cramped, but the location is close to train station and many sights. The breakfast is included which is a big plus! Staff friendly and helpful. Above average cleanliness.

We had a really nice stay in the hostel for 2 days in a 8 person bedroom. The hostel is located very well. The staff was friendly und the breakfast tasty.

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Greece
  • All Male Group, 25-30

A perfect place if you have little time in Amsterdam and want to explore its best attractions - the hostel is located in the old town right next to the Red Lights District and provides clean, safe, friendly rooms.

Walking distance to the central station, and there's loads of food choices/supermarket right at the door step. Even though the place wasn't new and the room was small (4-bedder), the peopl/volunteers really made up for it!

• 25th Jun 2014
  • Singapore

Friendly service and clean facilities. I didn't find the place particularly social, and the visitors should be aware of the hostel's Christian mission (lots of posters and Bibles laying about, and rules prohibiting drugs and alcohol).

• 24th Jun 2014

Interesting stay. It was very close to things however the bathrooms weren't very clean and I was glad we were only there for two nights. Showers weren't the best and you could see out over them which is disturbing for tall people.. Haha Overall, it's a hostel. Nothing special- we stayed at better over the other side of the city wuth better facilities for the same price.

Staff are friendly, I slept well as the hostel is quiet at night (despite being literally on the same street as part of the red-light district), and there is free internet access including computers to use. However, if you are unlucky the toilet and shower for your room will be up two flights of stairs on the floor above (I was in a 4-bed all girls's room).

The staff was nice. Good location but a little bit difficult to find. Inside the hostel was too dark. The price is good (included breakfast).

• 23rd Jun 2014
  • Thailand

Many many thanks to the kind staff. May they be well and happy, they are are trying their best to please all the guest. Yves and Lily.

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

One thing bother me is that other roomates came late (after 11pm) and the door kept open and shut many times.....the sound could be reduced by carefully closing the door. The staff should put a notice to remind everyone about that.

I'm not Christian, but I really enjoyed my stay at Shelter City. The security is very high and you need to flash your stay voucher to the staff before you can be let into the building. I booked a 16-bed dorm, and was really surprised how quiet it was! The location and price are unbeatable, and on top of that a GOOD breakfast is included into the price. I had hotcakes! WiFi coverage was amazing. Last but not least, very friendly and courteous staff. I definitely recommend Shelter City!

Toilets needed to be cleaned throughly once.

Right next to the Red Light District. Good location, good wifi. Bathrooms were dirty even though they are apparently cleaned "3x daily". Rooms were cramped, but was a decent place!

I got bit by a bedbug in my bed I said it to staff but he said it is just moskito. The next week were filled with pain and agony

• 20th Jun 2014
  • South Korea

I booked here for a night since there was nowhere to book and had doubts about the Christian thing. Upon arrival, I was positively surprised by the staff. The hostel isn't a big deal: beds are OK, the toilets for sharing sometimes busy and dirty, but nothing really caught my attention. And I didn't even realize I was in a christian hostel, besides for the many religious paintings and books that were everywhere, but no inconvenience.

I'm really pleased with my stay in Shelter City. I especially loved the beautiful patio. The breakfast was very good. The location is more than excellent! I would definitely want to stay there again.

Very friendly staff, excellent location, price, and facilities. Everything about this hostel is awesome!