Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

After a long day of traveling, I arrived at Shelter City and was greeted by a wonderful staff who were very welcoming and encouraging. I felt extremely safe on the property and loved the tagging system for checking phones and other electronics to charge (I left my phone and a camera battery overnight). Breakfast in the morning was delicious, and the staff working in the cafe explained everything to me and were very patient. I loved Shelter City and would definitely stay again if in Amsterdam

• 9th Apr 2015

I love it all!

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Portugal

Overall is great! I enjoyed staying there. I am Muslim but the Christian hostel welcomed we well. The staffs are very helpful. The breakfast is good. Though it is near Amsterdam centraal, sometimes it's unpleasant to go back to hostel because it's near red light district. And the bathroom was a bit dirty in the morning.

• 8th Apr 2015
  • Indonesia

I spent juz night but really enjoyed, great people, atmosphere, location in the heart of Amsterdam

• Poland

The bunk beds were extremely low! I used the bottom bunk, and couldn't even sit up straight without my head hitting the rails. Also, it was odd that lockers were provided but no locks. A small fee for renting locks would be more helpful rather than only offering the option to buy locks.

• Malaysia

From the extremely dirty bathrooms, to the fact that rooms were open for anyone to walk in, I would not recommend this hostel to anyone. The staff was quite rude as well. They gave a group of us the wrong information about tours and they weren't very understanding other certain situations. One worker/volunteer stayed in our room, and one night mumbled about how loud and annoying the group I was with was being. All in all, not worth your time or money. Also, no plugs to charge phones.

• 7th Apr 2015

Can't say anything else than superb! I needed a place to stay in Amsterdam for just one night. As a girl of 23 alone I wanted a hostel that looked good and was not too expensive. Shelter city fulfilled these needs very well! Everything was clean, staff very kind and welcoming. Would definitely stay there again and recommend it!

• 7th Apr 2015

The staff was SO nice and helpful and I loved the atmosphere. I will say though that the lack of outlets was a huge minus in my book! The breakfast was also awesome!

I like the atmosphere there very much! The staffs are very nice, welcoming and friendly. The hostel have very good security and every night they have activities for you to join =)

• 5th Apr 2015
  • Malaysia

The hostel is good in all aspects, but if you compare it with the price, it's overpriced.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The staff we extremely helpful. We bought our Van Gogh museum tickets right at the desk which saved time. I loved the faith community atmosphere. Contrary to other comments, they are respectful of and weren't too pushy on non believers. Great (and hot) free breakfast. Decently clean shower and washroom area. Could improve if bedrooms were more spacious.

There are not enough AC plugs in the big male dorms to charge in all electronic units.

The staff is excellent and the free breakfasts are great! All around good vibes. They´ll let you use or buy a lock for your stuff and they have a ticket system to charge your phone at the front desk if you have to leave it unattended. Would recommend!

• 1st Apr 2015

Staff is very friendly in a very christian way. Some people feels this a bit overacted. I'd rather say they are really nice and polite. Security is old-fashioned, you need to show your voucher to enter (to a person). The room didn't have a key, so everything had to be stored in (big backpack sized) lockers. Facilities are not great but Ok. You have a bed, a shower, and a nice common area where you'll surely talk about god. Breakfast is good, the location is perfect No alcohol inside!

Great hostel great staff and facilities. rooms were a tad small though Cafe had great atmosphere and breakfast was adequate and was a nice quiet place to escape the bustle of the city

The staff was really nice.

Shelter City had an excellent location in the city center and it was a good price. It was close to a metro station, a grocery store, and lots of places to eat. The free breakfast was excellent as well. I was worried that this hostel is considered a Christian hostel and I´m not religious, but I had no problems with it. I felt very safe in this hostel.

We stayed in the Shelter hostel for 4 nights, in a female dorm. Overall, we are satisfied from the hostel, the atmospere was good, the staff friendly and the location really convenient. The bathroom was cleaned every day . The breakfast was good,as well, offering an option of 3 possible breakfasts, one changing every day (e.g. pancakes, fried eggs, french toast etc.) Just keep in mind there is no elevator in the building.

• 29th Mar 2015
  • Greece

The Location is very good, the room is very clean, it's very good.

It was a nice place with a very good location, clean and the stuff is very kind. David Vasquez is very friendly and good chance to talk in spanish.. I strongly recomment this place..

• 29th Mar 2015