Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

What a great place! I came here for the location (in the red light district and just behind the NieuwMarkt) and the free breakfast (french toast and coffee). The staff was really friendly and the dorms are roomy. I don't identify with the religious aspect, but that wasn't a problem - if you're easily offended then perhaps steer clear, as they do have some sermons and bible studies. The only issue for me was that there are no door keys, so once you're inside the hostel there's no security.

Everything was amazing, the only thing was my sheets were slightly stained but otherwise everything was very clean.

The hostel was great. The location is excelent you can walk to all the major touristic points in the city. The breakfest is nice and all the staff is polite and ready to help.

Perfect and very resonable choice that I made staying in Amsterdam! Thank you for making that! :)

The location it's just perfect!! It's has easy acces and it's safe An there's a lot of helpful and nice people working in there

Hostel is located in a good location. It is quite stuffy in the room but the staff are v.helpful and friendly :) Overall it's a pleasant stay! Security is good at the main door and big lockers are provided:)

• 6th Aug 2015
  • Singapore

Very friendly and nice staff.... Always ready to help u out with whatever issue u have

Nice place! Quite a few beds in the one room -- but our room was really airy with doors and windows opening onto the courtyard so it was never stuffy or smelly. Good breakfast setup with a choice of muesli, toast or cooked breakfast. In the middle of the red light district -- but still pretty quiet :-)

This is my second stay in Shelter hostels (the first was in Shelter Jordan) and I absolutely recommend them! Great value for money, and volunteers always careful to your needs and requests!

One of the best hostels I have ever stayed in ! Everything amazing. Location, staff, food and space. Bathrooms are huge and always clean

What a gem of a hostel! Located right next to the red light district, it's location is fantastic in terms of its proximity to sites and the central train station. Rooms are on the small side but they were clean and the bathrooms were fine (showers a little small). Breakfast is included in the price and there is a nice place to sit outside near the cafe. Very impressed based on the price!

It was a great stay! Highly recommend.

Very good location, 15 minutes walking from central station. The free breakfast was much appreciated and the stuff is very friendly, although a little too strict with some rules. I did my check in and the girl that already saw me geting in the hostel woll ask for the reicit that proves you are in the hostel.....that is not really a problem....just a comment. Is not a place to party but being in the middle of amsterdam you don't really need that. There is a piano a guitar in the coffe area.

I enjoyed my stay at City Shelter and will definitely go back there and pass their phone number on to friends who are looking for accommodation.

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • South Africa

Arrived for my stay and was greeted by the male receptionist.. im aware they are all volunteers but it would have been lovely to at least hold a conversation with the man for more than 30 seconds. He was flirting with the other staff and guests while checking me in. Very awkward.

This was a Christian hostel that provides prayer and bible discussions. I loved it and it was a great place to be amid the red light district. The accommodations were nice and the staff was so friendly! The breakfast provided was delicious also! Thank you!!

Great Hostel in a good location right in the center of Amsterdam. The staff are friendly and always willing to help and the hostel provides many services for a very low cost. Would recommend to anyone staying in Amsterdam.

I am thankful for our trip started at Shelter city. I came without expectation to have bible discussion and prayer meeting at night, and i found myself really touched by the bible discussion and prayers. Thank you!

• 2nd Aug 2015
  • Taiwan

Great stay! Good location and staff was super helpful. Would definitely stay here again if I came to Amsterdam.

• 2nd Aug 2015

Frendship atmosphere, clean, comfortable rooms, free breackfast, central location

• 1st Aug 2015