Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

To be fair, staff atmosphere and safety is good. But cleanliness NEEDS to be stepped up. Stale smell in the room, dusty and suffered bed bug bites!!

• 31st Mar 2014
  • Singapore

Once we found it, it was great and really easy to get around. Such a nice location, we were able to walk everywhere. The stuff were very nice and friendly, we loved that breakfast was included too. The bathrooms were worn but not very dirty. I would visit again.

• 30th Mar 2014

Great location, clean rooms, comfy beds and hot showers! Although its in the Red Light District there was no issue with security. Breakfast included in the price which was really nice. Really central location and good price for room as well.

The hostel is situated right in the middle of the Red Light District, but it's very clean, safe and drug-free. Valuables can be stored at the reception, at no charge. Luggage can also be stored in the luggage room for the day at no charge. Lack of power points in the room, but the staff will help you to charge your devices in the reception. During the last night of my stay, there was a nice music session, where people performed and jammed.

It's located right next to the red light district which is a little shady after 5 am. But very clean secure and nice staff. Keep in mind that it's a Christian hostel so no drugs, alcohol, or mixing of the opposite gender in the dorms.

• 28th Mar 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

fantastic warm, welcoming staff. helpful and genuine service. an absolute pleasure to reside here.

Thanks to all the staff of shelter city for your hospitality and warmness, We had a nice stay with you.

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Taiwan

This is the best hostel I have ever stayed in. I feel the staff treated me as a friend. The food was excellent. The bible discussions were a real inspiration and being able to go to church with members of staff was lovely. As a Christian I would not want to stay anywhere else in Amsterdam and I am looking forward to staying there again in the near future.

The staff was extremely friendly, the atmosphere was very nice as well. If you are looking for a budget hostel to stay a night or two, this place will suit you. It's very secure, and cheap. However, note that bathrooms and bedrooms are quite small and relatively clean, which means that staying for more than two days might not be ideal if you mind your hygiene as much as me. Overall, I definitely recommend it for staying for a short period of time!

• 26th Mar 2014
  • Greece

Great location, the atmosphere was good (not overbearing with religion, but quite welcoming), and breakfast was included and quite delicious.

• 25th Mar 2014

Very best Hostel, esp. the richful breakfast, and the wonderful Staff! They are really devoted to their jobs and atmosphere of the Shelter.

• China

An excellent stay here for 3 nights. The cleanest hostel I've stayed in. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. There's only one plug in the room but the staff will charge your phone at reception. Breakfast was really good. Very high quality.

Shelter City's location is perfect, I didn't use metro nor tram during my stay in Amsterdam. I came on my own but thanks to the hostel's staff (composed of a couple of very hospitable volunteers from all over the world) there was always somebody to chat with or take a walk together. I loved the international atmosphere as well as Oliver their cute cat you'll see at times snoozing in one of the cozy arm chairs of the hostel's cafe.

• 25th Mar 2014

the best hostel to stay!

저는 하룻밤 16인실사용했기에 침실환경은 따지지 않았습니다. 사인실이나 오인실 사용하실 분들이라면 꽤나 괜찮은 호스텔 같습니다.

Good location, good value for money. Will recommend to others.

This was the only place that had a spot available for a single night which was extremely helpful. Located pretty much in the red light district and centre of town. Quick to get everywhere by foot.

I had a really nice time in this hostel! The staff was AMAZING, always ready to help you ! The location was great as so was the breakfast (I got pancakes twice!) Although they don't mention it, there is a fridge and a microwave that we can use. I have nothing bad to say about this hostel but I have a suggestion: at least one of the mirrors in the (girls) bathroom should be a little lower!

I would definetly recommend the Shelter City Hostel - it was a very welcoming atmosphere and the staff was really friendly!

The staff was not only helpful but also very kind and with good mood! I really enjoy my stay. I will improve the common area for more facilities to cook something. The stairs are small so it´s hard to go up to the rooms in the third floor so I think you need a good health to use those rooms upstairs.