Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Everything was great about this hostel, I really enjoyed it, specially the presence of a cute cat. The staff was very helpful. Special thanks to David from the front desk for his friendliness. 100% recommended place.

Very nice hostel right in the heart of the famous Amsterdam Red Light District. I went for an early morning walk (5am, thanks jet lag) and was approached by a couple of homeless men for money but told them I was just out with my camera for a walk. They smiled, warned me not to take photos in the windows and greeted me a good day. We enjoyed our stay, facility's were old and basic but well maintained and breakfast was excellent for being included in the cheap price.

• 12th Mar 2015

The heater is not functioning well and will feel cold at night

• 11th Mar 2015
  • Malaysia

The staff is amazing, very kind and friendly. Not so much at the reception, but they are very good during the evenings, doing games and Bible study. The room is very clean, the locker is good. The breakfast is perfect. I just think they should add a way to charge your stuffs inside the room. But if I go back to Amsterdam, I am sure I will go there again! The idea of a christian hostel in a crazy city as Amsterdam is amazing! I loved it!

Very good stay. I thought the middle of the Red Light District was an odd location for a drug-free alcohol-free Christian hostel, but it's perfect for a tourist trying to see the sights, which are all within walking distance

• 8th Mar 2015

Shelter City is great place to stay for a few nights. I was in a 22 bed all female room. They had an excellent breakfast and I felt extremely safe the whole time. The only complaint I have is the lack of outlets in the rooms, I had to charge my phone before I went to sleep so I would have it for the next day. As well, there is no lock on the actual door to the room however there are lockers in the rooms. Overall my stay was pleasant and I would recommend to other travelers!

really close to the red light district, literally a block over, but a safe enough place to stay. very Christian vibe, serious about the no drugs in the hostel which was a nice environment to sleep in

I really enjoyed my stay at the Shelter Hostel in the centre of Amsterdam. The location was perfect and everything was within walking distance from the hostel. As it is a Christian hostel, we were invited to discussions and evening prayers, but the staff was never pushy on this subject. Dorms were ok and the beds very comfortable. We enjoyed a free hostel dinner on Friday which was very nice and a free city tour which we really enjoyed and met a lot of amazing people from all over the world.

• 5th Mar 2015

I thought this place was awesome. I felt really safe and the staff wanted me to be comfortable and were incredibly accommodating. Super awesome location, it is right in the middle of the red light district and less than a mile walk to Dam Square

• 5th Mar 2015

Great atmosphere, great location, nice staff.

• 5th Mar 2015

A very pleasant and revitalising experience. I went to Holland to get away, And have come back with a purpose. God is there for all, all you need is prayer and faith. He is listening and his army are ready to march. It takes but one word, and he will come. That word is " Jehovah "

• 5th Mar 2015

It was awesome to stay in a Christian hostel and have such a peaceful environment in the middle of the red light district. The location was awesome and we really enjoyed our stay.

• 5th Mar 2015

The atmosphere that the faculty created was excellent and welcoming! They even provided free dinner on Friday, along with each morning. In addition, they provided a free walking tour. If only they had more outlets in the rooms.

• 5th Mar 2015

Great location in the middle of Amsterdam, within walking distance of everything. They had a good breakfast and friendly staff. Bathroom facilities are busy. Good value for money

I was staying in the Hostel three nights and i really had a wonderfull time. The staff and travellers were very friendly. The Hostel is near Niewmarkt and you can just walk everywhere you want. You don't need a Bus Ticket. I definetly recommend it.

• 4th Mar 2015
  • Hungary

Very nice staff, didn't like how anyone could walk into your room though. I liked that they had events to do at night such As a bonfire. And Oliver the cat was very cute :) safe atmosphere

• 28th Feb 2015

If you want a cheap hostel come here. Facilities look like an old school converted to hostel. Walls had no plugs and look old and dirty. Toilets looked like camping sites ones. I had nothing against religion, but this places goes one step ahead and bombards you with christian signs like "Jesus loves you". When I arrived one guy was complaining about a stolen iPhone. Lockers dont close very well, get a big padlock for them. There were old ppl in my room (80 ). Breakfast was the only good thing.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood ^^!

• 26th Feb 2015
  • South Korea

It was quite nice, good place(it is located in the middle of red light district, but not that dangerous) nice security (you should show your voucher when you come in), and sooo nice staffs.(all the staffs I met was very kind and friendly) Breakfast was also perfect. I could choose among musli, bread, or warm menu(pancakes, french toast, or bread with fried egg-it depends on the day of the week). Only poor thing was wifi.. It was terrible even in the lobby

That one is a great hostel with a perfect location! You can use front desk services for maps, charging your phone and good advices about city. Guys are really awesome and kind. Breakfast is quite good you know for a hostel, rooms are tidy but pretty small (don't know others mine was like that) So if are you planing to go to Amsterdam, you can stay here with inner peace!