Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Excellent and very friendly staff. However the toilet cleanliness has to be improved being checked more regularly. Breakfast is very poor as there is a limited range to choose from and you are allowed to get only one portion of whatever you decide to go for. Once again, though, the staff was amazing looking like they were handpicked as they were as friendly and helpful as one could be.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • Portugal

Really kind awesome staff and in a great location

I love it !

• 8th Jul 2014

Very nice and clean hostel. Staff is great and helpful with whatever you need, location cannot be better,it's very central and everything is at walking distance. Rooms were clean with ensuite toilet,bed lights and lockers. There are just one or two sockets in the room so if you need to charge your devices you need to leave it at the reception. It's very secure though cause they give you a number that you'll have to show later to get your stuff back, same for luggages.Good even for non Christians

I would definitely recommend this place as it is right in the middle if the RLD and still safe and open throughout the night. The people are nice and they give you breakfast.

Very nice people and they showed amazing respect and support for guests. I am truly impressed with the customer service. Breakfast was included in the price. Very nice warm breakfast was served.

• 7th Jul 2014

I stayed in the hostel with my three children: 11-14-16 years old. We spent five lovely great days. This is a good place for families. Although it is next to the red light you could easly avoid it. The staff was very kind and helpful.

• 7th Jul 2014

완전좋았음 남자입장에선 아침이 조금부실한듯했지만 나머지가 전부좋았음 근데 와이파이가 잘 안잡히는게 아쉬웠음 나머진최고.

The staff here are very very friendly! Location is great! Right by the red light district, and within walking distance to the central!

It'll be nice to have a kitchen. Great staff and hospitality. Recommend!!

We booked the 16-bed so our expectation wasn't too high, but overall our stay wasn't bad. It was hard to manage such a huge amount of guests and all the staffs did very well in maintaining that (not to mention that they are volunteers!) The hostel situated right in the centre of everything so we saved loads on transport. Only a few downside: I wish there was at least a socket close to my bed to charge my phone, and the pancake portion during breakfast was a tad bit small.

Best deal in Amsterdam. Hostel with a conscience

When I came to the room, only one bed left and it was dirty and untidy like after someone using it, but then after I ask to the receptionist to clean it, they did and very nice.

Very good hostel, cheap and friendly staff!

• 5th Jul 2014

Such kind and caring staff! We had a wonderful experience. Wish that more shelter Christian hostels would spread throughout the work! What an awesome mission!

Thank you so much. We were so surprise to find such a ministry in the centre of Amsterdam. I never had the idea that you accommodate 200 people. It was so peaceful. What an amazing staff and thank you for the ministry.

• 2nd Jul 2014
  • Namibia

The staff was very nice and helpful. I was surprised how clean the bedlinen were. The bathroom facilities could have been better. A bit of renovating is needed. The breakfast was good, but I found it weird that there was only one portion for each. It would be good if there was a toaster for the additional toast everyone can get.

• 1st Jul 2014

Good place to stay; cramped, but the location is close to train station and many sights. The breakfast is included which is a big plus! Staff friendly and helpful. Above average cleanliness.

Excelent hostel. Excelent staff. Don't be afraid because it's a christian hostel, it's not a monastery.

We had a really nice stay in the hostel for 2 days in a 8 person bedroom. The hostel is located very well. The staff was friendly und the breakfast tasty.

• 27th Jun 2014