Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Great location and nice staff!

the only thing that i didn't like it about my experience with them, is they didn't let me in in the hostal after check out (few hours). i only needed to go to the toilet and they said me "you are not our guest anymore". i thought was so rude,

• Colombia

The Shelter city Hostal, is a very good place to stay in Amsterdam. The Location is near of all. And is very kind and safe. I was three days there and my friend and me don`t worry about anything during our stay.

• Mexico

Ok hostel, although the atmosphere is non existent... It's the only hostel I've ever stayed at in which no one really ventured outside of their preformed/arrival groups/cliques. Didn't see any social interactions, no laughter, etc. Which is the main point of staying in a hotel (that and price). Apart from that, there are NO power outlets... You have to leave your devices at reception to be charged, which is a huge inconvenience, especially if you need to use your phone, tablet, laptop, etc.

We had a warmly welcome at the Shelter City. The staff was very friendly, we sleeped well and had a good breakfast in the morning. A perfekt stay.

• Austria

Many thanks.

• 29th Apr 2015
  • Czech Republic

Very good hostel. The towels were 1 euro but breakfast is included in the price. The location is prime because it is in the heart of the red light district. The staff was solid but sometimes did not help as much as they could.

It's great to be able to go out and have all the and then be able to come back to a relaxed envirenment. This hostel is very refreshing. Thanks Shelter City!

• 28th Apr 2015

As I was told by others, there aren't any good & affordable hostels in Amsterdam, but this may unfortunately be one of the better ones. The location is fantastic (aside from being literally in the red light district) and the staff were welcoming and very nice. After that things start to drop off. Not the cleanest place or the best facilities. The atmosphere was the worst part. Lots of older/kinda creepy people. No social environment outside of the hosts (wish I talked to them more). Not my fav.

I'm Christian and I work for the church, still the Shelter was a bit much in regards of mission and religious views

• 28th Apr 2015

Didn't realise this was a Christian hostel when booking so got a bit of a surprise. Some there was no bar or drinking in hostel but it felt very safe and friendly

Beds are really cramped and near each other, but otherwise location was very conveniently located near the central station. Staff was very courteous, helpful and kind!

• 27th Apr 2015
  • Singapore

I enjoyed my stay here, the staff were very friendly and chatty.

Very good price and central location. The only issue for me was the fact that each bed didn't have a power outlet. There are reading lights for each bunk. Why not put an outlet next to each of the lights, tapping its electric cable? That is standard with most hostels and would make satisfy most people, who usually have several electrical devices with them, like their mobile phones and laptops.

Extremely friendly staff who are very patient and helpful. Location is perfect and security is not a concern at all. Wifi is available everywhere even in rooms as well.

• 24th Apr 2015
  • Singapore

It in the heart of red light district ironically. The room doesn't have key but had lockers in which i can leave my belongings though i didn't have padlock with me and didn't need one as i stayed only one night. Was an average hostel

I was remarkably disappointed in Shelter City - when I arrived, I was told which room I was assigned to (and not given a key, since the room didn't have a lock). Within ten minutes, I was concerned by a gentleman (about forty five years old) who was talking to himself and pacing. I brought up my concern with reception, and their only solution was to have me move rooms and pay the difference in price. I was shocked that I was charged to feel safe in "Shelter City". Poor staff and service.

Catholic hostel. Catholic hostel. Catholic hostel. Catholic hostel. You cant have a beer even in the common room. (?)

The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is right in the heart of the city. The coffee bar is a great place for meeting people and socializing. This felt like the most secure hostel I have ever stayed in. The bathrooms were cleaned multiple times per day. The cost was cheaper than other hostels in the area. The only negative was that the hot water occationally went out in the showers. And it would be nice to have additional receptacles for charging phones at night.

• 20th Apr 2015

The location is close center and transportation top tourist places. The beds were comparable, staff was friendly, facilities are good for money. i have only one complaint about power plugs in the room. We are staying in 16 beds room, but we have only 3 power plugs for 16. Of course, they provide to charge mobiles/laptops at reception.