Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

My stay was fantastic. The provided breakfast of Dutch pancakes was delicious, the staff members at reception and the cafe were all happy and welcoming, the facilities were charming and attractive. I appreciated the charging station behind the reception, where I knew my cell phone and tablet were safe as they charged. This free service came in handy since I didn't have an adapter myself! I recommend this friendly and safe hostel to everyone!

This is one of the best hostels I've been to! Very clean, amazing location, helpful staff, great cafe and lounge space. The staff helped me rent a bike and pre-order museum tickets. Free breakfast included!

Beautiful building, lovely staff and really nice hot showers! Lockers in bedrooms and reception charge your phones (and other stuff) Really peaceful courtyard garden with a pond.

Very friendly and helpful staff. Thank you for a lovely stay!

My friend had to keep their belongings in a different box office to hes bed because it was busy. Staff broke her lock but later they gave her one.

• 11th Jul 2015
  • Spain

Very good atmosphere, and the staff was extremely nice and helpfull. I totally recomend it.

• 10th Jul 2015
  • Spain
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Shelter is a great place if you want a chilled, friendly vibe. No drinking is allowed in the hostel so, despite the very close distance to all of the main bars/clubs, it makes it quite a challenge to go out. However, if you're not looking for that kind of a time in amsterdam shelter is perfect. If you do stay - free cooked breakfast everyday which is good but make sure you bring a lock/ buy a lock for your bag if it's a rucksack/not hand luggage sized because the lockers are quite small.

Sheets were not change at my arrival. Rooms are small. Cool staf with cool service. Okay/good price for the location.

The hostel is in a great zone, near Amsterdam central and in the heart of the red light district. The staff was very helpfull and everything very clean and organized.

• 8th Jul 2015
  • Mexico

This was our first of three hostels on a three week vacation in Europe and it set the bar almost too high for us. The staff were friendly, helpful, and understanding of the fact that we were lost!!! It was a really cool place to stay and a great price. The location could not have been better it was close to all the action of the red light district but back in an alley where there was less traffic.

• 7th Jul 2015

I had the most incredible stay and Shelter City, couldn't have asked for a better hostel and right in the centre of Amsterdam! The staff were so lovely and friendly, I couldn't recommend it more :)

I enjoyed my stay. Only complaint I could lodge is that the 16 bed dorm is very bright in the mornings.

Would've been good to have a kitchen. But had a great stay! Thank you!

• 1st Jul 2015

We enjoyed our stay in shelter City very much. Thank you so much for your kidness. I apriciated also very much the helpfull staff.

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Switzerland

If you're looking for a prime location in Amsterdam without any sketchy nonsense, this is it! If you get a room in the attic, there are a few narrow staircases to climb (no lift) and sometimes the wifi is on and off. This hostel holds very firmly to their statement that it's a Christian hostel so if you're into philosophical and deeper conversations-you'll enjoy it. Overall Shelter is clean, secure, and well located. A+

The staff is very friendly and helpful! The hostel's facilities are very simple but everything is clean and decent. I wouldn't say that beds and rooms are very comfortable (quite hard to charge the phone - no options for the most of the beds in dorm) but for that price and that location you can handle it easily. Also free breakfast on the morning was a good surprise.

Shelter City is a brilliant hostel in a GREAT location. It is right in the heart of the Red Light District and a close walk to Jordaan. The staff are very friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The rooms were clean and comfortable. I'd definitely recommend staying here.

It´s well located but the main problems for me are: 1. There's no outlets near the beds, you need to have your phone charging in the reception or wait for it to charge in the hallways and 2. The bedrooms doors don't lock and many people that are not from your room walk in and see inside all the time. Aside of that, breakfast is delicious and staff is really nice.

Most amazing place, wouldn't consider staying anywhere else. The staff were so friendly, the rooms were clean, you felt very safe and couldn't tell you were in the red light district. It was walking distance to everywhere, free hot breakfast and it even has its own cat. If you're in Amsterdam, definitely stay here!

• 26th Jun 2015

Perhaps you can make locks rentable? Rental fee can be same as the price it costs.