Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Toilets needed to be cleaned throughly once.

Right next to the Red Light District. Good location, good wifi. Bathrooms were dirty even though they are apparently cleaned "3x daily". Rooms were cramped, but was a decent place!

I got bit by a bedbug in my bed I said it to staff but he said it is just moskito. The next week were filled with pain and agony

• 20th Jun 2014
  • South Korea

I booked here for a night since there was nowhere to book and had doubts about the Christian thing. Upon arrival, I was positively surprised by the staff. The hostel isn't a big deal: beds are OK, the toilets for sharing sometimes busy and dirty, but nothing really caught my attention. And I didn't even realize I was in a christian hostel, besides for the many religious paintings and books that were everywhere, but no inconvenience.

I'm really pleased with my stay in Shelter City. I especially loved the beautiful patio. The breakfast was very good. The location is more than excellent! I would definitely want to stay there again.

Very friendly staff, excellent location, price, and facilities. Everything about this hostel is awesome!

Perfect location, pretty clean rooms. There are only two bathrooms, one was on my floor but hot water wasn't working for 2 days, so we've had to go downstairs to use the other toilets, passing right in front of reception. Really annoying. Staff is not the most professional I've seen but they're all travelers so I guess you can't expect too much. Some of them are really friendly, other not at all. Very good free breakfast

When I arrived, the place was super busy because most people were checking out. The staff looked extremely confused and flustered. The girl in the front told me to just come back in a few hours to check in. When I came back to check in, the process was 30 min (not including waiting for the 2 people before me). The guy asked me three times what I needed. The place looks kind of run down and my LEAST favorite part is that there are only a few outlets per room, so not everyone gets one!

If there are a guest kitchen, it will be perfect.

The bunk is too old, they should be exchanged for new ones. There is no electricity socket in the bedrooms, backpackers need to charge their stuff. There is no where to cook, this is something I particularly think as necessary in a hostel. At the time I was there, the bathrooms was being cleaned at the same time, and it took more than 2 hours, this is unacceptable.

You guys rock. Staff is amazingly kind. Quiet place, still with excellent atmosphere. God bless you all!

It's on the middle of the red light district, good location and nice staff. The only problem a little bit noisy on the mornings and light cortins that wake you up early

• 17th Jun 2014
  • Mexico

The garden is still just perfect!

Wonderful, helpful

• 17th Jun 2014

Good location

Overall it was pretty good. Free breakfast, good staff, clean facilities, convenient location. My only qualms were the sparsely located power sockets (but they'll happily charge your electronics behind the front desk) and that they filter the internet, which got annoying after a couple days.

Bathroom needs to be cleaned more often. When I saying it it was just before the cleaning so it was kind of dirty. Little space left to walk in the dorm room because everyone puts their luggage on the ground. Not enough power points. Other than that everything else is perfect. Will come back again because the staff is so kind and the Location is perfect.

Amazing location, cheap, and very clean. Open 24-7 but most people sleep early - I stayed out until about 1 watching a World Cup game and seemed to be the only one coming in late. People woke up early too - I could hear people around 7 am, so I didn't get good sleep. Breakfast is OK - not super filling, but free! Only things that were bad: 10 am checkout time, and the bathroom was closed for cleaning pretty frequently.

• 16th Jun 2014

Right next to the red light district. Disappointed that they dont provide seconds for hot breakfast (decent). Not the place to be if you want to meet new ppl to go out. Nevertheless, i personally made a good friend. Mixed bag in terms of age. Very strict in terms of security.

The staff are there working for free since it is a Christian hostel. Since they chose to be there, they are much nicer than staff at most hostels.

• 16th Jun 2014