Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

The staff was really nice and helpful. The bed was comfortable and the location was in the center of Amsterdam. The breakfast was poor....

A good hostel. The breakfast was good, but I wish it had a kitchen (it only has a refrigerator and a microwave). I thought the location was great, but be aware that it is right in the center of the red light district.

We stayed in this hostel for 3 nights over the weekend in I think 16 or 14 bed hostel. The location is great right near the red light district. The rooms were okay, i felt clostrophobic in my bunk as there was hardly any room between me and the other person, it was ridiculous. Don't stay here if your gonna be partying, there is no atmosphere for it what so ever. Some of the staff were a bit rude to us if we forgot the tiny peice of paper you need to enter the building. Really good free wifi tho!

• 31st Oct 2014

For sharing a room with 16 beds I think it is expensive. The breakfast was so good and the staff at the breakfast time was so kind.

The front desk was very helpful. The security at the facility was great. Although the hostel was a bit dated.

I spent only one night in a 4-bed room with it own toilet/bathroom. It was very clean and the the fellow room mates were very friendly. Very quiet. There was free dinner in the evening I stayed and also the free breakfast of eggs on toast with ham was very good. The staff who are volunteers organised a free tour of the city which was very good. All in all, I'd recommend and stay here again.

• 31st Oct 2014

very nice, particularly in location.. Easy to find the place,

• Thailand

There is no plug in the rooms and the bathrooms are very dirty.

I loved the Christian atmosphere! I am a Christian and have been studying abroad for a few months now, and your hostel reminded me of home. It was so nice to walk into a building with a familiar environment.

• 29th Oct 2014

I absolutely loved my stay! All of the staff were extremely friendly and welcoming and really made my stay great! It was so wonderful staying in a place that shares my Christian beliefs in an area that has such a need for Christ!

• 29th Oct 2014

The staff was super friendly! If you get a chance, go to prayer time and hang out with them or even go to one of the movie nights! They are super chill and really good at making people feel included.

• 29th Oct 2014

I loved this hostel! It is one of the best I have ever been to. They offer many services included in the price. The breakfast they make every day is delicious, it was the first time I have had a home cooked breakfast at a hostel. Would definitely recommend. Has a chiller vibe, so don't expect a party hostel. But I was still able to meet a lot of people. Great location as well. Right next to the center of town.

really nice place!!

I really enjoy at Shelter city. Location is great, separete rooms for boys and girls, there are 3 breakfast on menu + you can take bread, marmelade etc...I really like security: they actually check your ID card before they let you in... staff was nice and they help me when needed. The common area is great and batrooms are clean... Really nice hostel...I wouldn't stay anywhere else :)

• 27th Oct 2014
  • Slovenia

This place is awesome! Everyone who works there is very friendly and genuinely cares about you. I got food poisoning on my flight and everyone there was so kind and helpful that it wasn't so bad. The events are fun and good. The free breakfast is great too! I stayed in a four room dorm for a few nights and no complaints, in fact its one of the best hostels i've been to! the location is yes on the edge of the red light but if you dont feel comfortable going through it you can always go around it

Everything was clean and tidy. The people were very nice and helpful. It is very on the safety of the guests. That was my first night in a hostel and I liked it.

• 26th Oct 2014

Great location. Otherwise no real complaints, but nothing spectacular.

The common washrooms were not as clean as expected also the showers could have been better. The breakfast could be better and offer more variety. The location and WiFi is excellent.

• 25th Oct 2014
  • India

An old place. Not so clean. Dishes in breakfast were not clean. The location is good as well as the fact that no smoking, drugs and alcohol are allowed. I stayed also at Shelter Jordan which I enjoyed more because it is cleaner and better managed.

There were no locks on the doors and the lockers didn't work. The room was super cramped and tiny. It's in a good location and cheaper than other hostels in Amsterdam so that makes it worth it. Also breakfast was free.

• 24th Oct 2014