Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

especially staff very helpful and hostel location very good.

Great hostel! Really well located, really safe and nice.

Staff is ververy friendly, bath and toilets are perfectly clean, it's close to the principal points of the city (everything is in a walking distance). Really recommend :)

The hostel is great. Everything was good, from the reception to the accommodation itself. I believe that for the money you pay, you get a great service. The only problem was the excessive light in the room 5 caused by the Exit light.

• 2nd Jan 2016
  • Lebanon
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The location was perfect, within walking distance to central station and typical cityview area. The stuff are helpful and friednly, and they try to make you feel like with frienda by trying to talk to you. The bar has reasonable prices and the breakfast is simple but enough. The facilities are kind of old but overall ok. I will recommend this place.

It was one of the "cheapest" hostel to book on new year, it is a catholic one, with some rules that are not my style, but i have to say that it was a nice place. Very good breakfast, with differents options, the room was a little bit noisy but and they didnt sell you bear in the bar, but all else very good

Extremely well located and secure. Breakfast as well. Didn't like the fact that the lockers were outside of my room, it made a little bit harder for me to organize all my stuff. Bathroom also, although it was constantly clean and very well kept, the way the showers were made did not feel hygienic, and it was really hard to wash myself without getting all my things wet. But It was a really nice place for staying, somewhere calm that I could relax without all the partying from outside. Nice!

The bathroom is a bit smelly sometimes... and a small kitchen would be great too! But the breakfast was very good and the beds are comfortable.

I had a terrible experience here & it really hampered my entire stay in Amsterdam. I was taking a shower in the girl's bathroom in the morning and this guy walked in. He first asked me for shampoo peaking his head above the locked door and then a few minutes later he reached his hand over to shake mine. I felt extremely uncomfortable so I spoke to the staff after. All he told me was that he's sorry that it happened to me. Unless you like being violated, and staff with lack of empathy AVOID PLS!

Excellent location, very near to the metro line, and in the middle of main attractions which makes you easier to get around by walking. 24 hours staff is awesome and they are very friendly. Highly recommended. However olease take note due to its location in the middle of tourist place, it will be noisy till 11-12pm if your room facing the front street.

Really enjoyed my stay here. All the staff were really really friendly, and I loved how there were movie nights and open mics too - it made it a lot easier for a solo traveller to meet people

A volunteer staff who is from German was so nice. He has accompanied me to where most tourists don't know and paid the dessert for me! Thanks :)

• 28th Dec 2015
  • Cambodia

The very friendly staff made the place amazing and the breakfast options were fantastic!

The room was way too small for 4 people, it should accommodate to a maximum of 2 people. The sink was placed just above my bed that every time I moved I hit my head and I get sprinkled every time someone uses it. My friend checked in 2 days before us and when we asked to be in the same room they refused stating that they have 2 people checking in today so they can't move them; however, our other friend who stayed alone in mixed dorms moved 3 rooms in 3 nights cause there are friends checking in

• 27th Dec 2015
  • Egypt

the room were too small, claustrophobic I'd say. We had to sleep with the window open to catch some breath (in December!!!)

Excellent location. Nice people, good breakfast. There are only one or two plugs in each room what I think it´s not enough, but there is a note telling you can charge your devices on reception if you need. Nice staff. For the first time I had some problems with a roommate and they were nice changing my bed.

• 26th Dec 2015

I'm a world traveler and I have visited more than 50 hostels. This is by far the worst hostel I have ever been to. The only positive thing about it is the nice location. I have booked 4 nights and they made me change my room 3 times !! There was no elevator so I had to get all my luggage down the stairs to the luggage room and when the room is ready at 1:30pm I had to bring it up all over again ! The reception kept telling me sorry but it's out of our hands !

The hostel is good located even it was in red district area,unfortunally the breakfast is limited to one option,the atmosphere at the café its a bit quite but personally I really liked the the volenteers girls all of them.thanks

The staff screwed up reservation put two guys in my female ensuite.

Staff very friendly & happy, no probs, went @ xmas 2015 had a good time, breakfast very nice, only thing could say is the pillows were very soft. very good value for money, would recommend it to anyone wanting a no hassle break in the centre of Amsterdam. Alan Smith & family.

• 24th Dec 2015