Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Probably the worst hostel I have stayed.Pretty pricey place to stay considering that the staff all work there as volunteers. Room was situated in an attic a lot of stairs and had the hassle of changing rooms three times which was not a pleasant experience as check out is at 10 o'clock and check in is at 1pm. You also have to collect your bag from reception latest at 5pm. Would not recommend.

Overall, this hostel is pretty good. The rooms are somewhat cramped and have a lot of beds (16 per room), so there is a lot of traffic in-and-out, making it harder to sleep. There also seemed to me to be too few bathrooms/showers for the number of rooms in the hostel. But on the plus side, the staff is friendly, the wifi is free and fast, and they provide a free (HOT!) breakfast and fairly secure luggage storage room. I would definitely stay here again if I came back to Amsterdam.

Very valuable and worthy to stay if you are a sociable person and want to meet more friends from different countries. Staffs are pretty nice and friendly to help each visitor. But if you want to cock or wash your clothes, you may be disappointed.

• 4th Sep 2014
  • Syria

ensuit looks like not clean everyday'

숙소 찾기불편하고 시설자체도 깨끗한편은 아닌데 조식도 제공 해주고 역이랑 가깝구 암스테르담 물가자체가 높아서 싸게 잘머무르고온 것같아요 단기로머무실거라면 나쁘지않아요

first 4 bed dorm was very small and no place for a large bag, lockers were too small, but i got moved to 4 dorm with on-suite and this was much better although also more expensive..excellent location and relaxed place to stay..no hassles about religion...i have and would recommend it again..

Good! I'd definately go back again!

There should be a table in each room. And places on the wall there to put things.

• 1st Sep 2014
  • Finland

Really enjoyed my stay, a little hard to find at first but once you know where it is you won't forget! Staff are super really would stay here again :)

• 1st Sep 2014

No kitchen, and electricity charger is poor in the room but you can have your phone or camara be charged outside the room or at the reception with security control. Shower room water is not strong. However , the location is perfect and the staff are really nice. Go to breakfast early on pencake day. Otherwise it will round out pencake in the end.

I stayed at the Shelter for three nights and I was very impressed with everything. The staff are amazing with helping you where to go, what to do, and the best ways to go about it all. They are very friendly to just stop by and chat with too. Location is great, free breakfast, beds are comfortable, and there is a beautiful courtyard inside. They have security precautions to make it feel like a haven. The staff are real Christians, so it's pretty cool to see them being the light.

Warm and frienly ambient, I will come back!

I really appreciated the place, it was not easy to find safe and cheap place where to stay for one night. My room was too small, but for 1-2 nights it's ok. There's possibility to lock your baggage and the day after checkout leave it in reception Breakfast is ok but.limited. I was happy with shelter.

• 29th Aug 2014
  • Ukraine

Great people, great place!!!

We had a great time at the Shelter City! It is perfectly located in the heart of Amsterdam and has a warm and friendly atmosphere. You can make friends from all over the world when staying at the Shelter. The staff members are all very nice and helpful and especially with David and Jake we had a lot of fun and a great time! Thanks for making our stay there so special guys :) The Austrians 😊

Very friendly staff, security very high, breakfast was OK, in the city centre which, not so quiet if you have a room looking on a street as in my example and if you are looking for a quiet sleep communicate with the hostel. The only problem was very rude and ignorant persons in my room for two days. Otherwise, staying in the hostel is a good deal.

maybe if more lockers and keys on the doors where provided, would be better (I mean, safer) and the showers aren't that good (water doesn't flow as should be) . though, there is a great breakfast (espresso, capuccino, eggs, nutella...) and the location is excellent (very near to central station and all the main Amsterdan turistic atractions)

As soon as my friends and I walked I. The door we were greeted with a smile. The staff were excellent and very helpful, the food was amazing and the atmosphere was both so much fun and full of kindness. I have already recommend this place to my friends! It's in the heart of Amsterdam's nightlife and culture, if you go to Amsterdam - Go here!

Although I am agnostic I felt really well in this Christian hostel in Amsterdam's red light district. The staff consists of ambitious and helpful volunteers, so I was given an additional blanket for the night. Breakfast was good, but you have to choose between bread with ham & cheese OR Müsli OR hot breakfast. If you choose Müsli, again you have to choose either banana OR apple OR orange. Anyway, the meals are good and affordable. The hostel's highlight is a garden outside with a fish pond.

Could not be more central, lovely people, very clean. Couldn't ask for any more, would definitely stay there again.

• 27th Aug 2014