Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Had to wake up somebody sleeping in my bed at 02:00. Door to the beds didn't have a curtain and the hall light was left on all night, you can hear everything on the floor above every little step, so didn't sleep a wink. Woke up to somebody attempting to steal my laptop within my bag. Breakfast was included which was nice. Deposit of €15 for the key. Locations on a red light district street, so not recommended for family's at all.

Free breakfast!! Good breakfast too, not the cheap stuff. Very kind and hospitable hosts. Comfy beds with personal lights and plugs. Plenty showers and toilets. Central location, I would definitely stay again. Pricey during peak months.

This hostel seemed to be very safe. The location right in the red light district very attractive. But its cleanliness is one of the worst I've ever seen in hostels. The toilet was broken to the half and it stinked all the time, plus the shower is located in the toilet room which made it even worse. Except the dining room where a good breakfast takes place every morning for free, the facilities of the hostel is bad. You live in a tight room with more people that suits in, with only one socket!!

• 1st Jun 2015

Had a good stay, well located. The cooked breakfast every day was great and the staff were friendly and helpful. Luggage storage handy and safe. Beds comfy although ladder to top bunk wobbly. 16 bed room was a bit noisy, common garden outside window plus woken up more than a few times a night by roommates but that's not really the hostels fault. Also no locks on room doors and only 3 power sockets in room, apparently for safety as they dont want you to leave your things charging and get stolen.

nice surprise, great value for money. don't expect any luxury, it has the basics for a backpacker (i.e.: bed and breakfast). staff is friendly and attentive.

Staff was nice, but check-in was really slow. There was only one person in front of me and I still had to wait 15 minutes before another staff member had to come out to help me.

• 31st May 2015

Staff are very helpful an friendly. hreat location. the breakfast was also very nice :)

This is a christian hostel. Made the mistake of staying here. BUT the hostel was very nice. Great cleanliness, staff, etc. Not for me, especially in Amsterdam.

NOTE: This is a Christian-run hospital which means there are bible references aplenty and often people chatting about religious things in the kitchen area – avoid if you’re not comfortable with this. Sadly there’s also no alcohol allowed at all. I was looking for quiet accommodation but as it’s located in the red light district it’s very noisy on Fri/Sat evenings. It should be cleaner & have more charge points in rooms. Overall for a cheap night’s accommodation it’s fine and breakfast is ok.

I'm not religious and I felt incredibly welcome here! The staff and other guests were very friendly and there were good spaces for meeting new people. Also the free breakfast in the mornings was very good. It was a little frustrating though that you needed to show your paper voucher to enter the building because something like that can easily get wet or lost so I would suggest they use something a little more durable. And be aware you need to pay a 15 euro key deposit upon check in

I liked the hostel very much! Thanks for everything! The cat ist wonderful :-) I miss him....:-)

• 29th May 2015

Stayed in a 2 person room which was a bit small but did the job. Location was great, staff was really nice and helpful, and the breakfast was awesome. Overall good stay and would recommend.

Excellent staff everyone very kind. Perfect location! Had a great holiday

• 28th May 2015

I absolutely LOVED the Shelter! The staff was incredibly friendly and joyful! They would hang out with us in the cafe and loved giving us suggestions on where to go. The security was incredible which was a super huge plus since my friend and I (both girls) were traveling by ourselves - we never once felt scared inside the Shelter. Also an incredible value for your money - it was very clean, good location, and cheap!

• 27th May 2015

Good set up, top security and friendly people.

Great value for money and in a good location and nice if you want a quiet place to chill out. Only real problem was there wasn't enough plug sockets in the dorm for everyone, however they will charge phones...etc at reception for you.

• 26th May 2015

A very nice hostel, the staff were really kind. The breakfast was very good. It was a nice choice in Amsterdam for the price. I highly recommend and would definitely stay there another time.

• 26th May 2015

Great central location. Staff was friendly and helpful. Atmosphere was just ok. Was offered many times to attend a bible study but outside of that there was very little conversation. One power outlet in my 8-person room. Could not sit up on the bottom bunk. Internet was good. Bathroom was a bit of a walk but was big enough. I would recommend for the location but not the atmosphere.

The only thing I didn't like was that everyone in my room was very loud and would eat bags of chips in the middle of the night or turn on all the lights while we were all sleeping.

We really had a good time in Shelter City. I can only recommend it to the others.