Shelter City Reviews

Barndesteeg 21, 1012 BV, Amsterdam, Netherlands

excellent location, nice characteristic building. outstanding friendliness.

• 23rd Feb 2015

The staff was more than friendly and helpful, i'd come back there not because of hostel but because of great people who work there!

• 23rd Feb 2015
  • Belarus

The staff was really nice most of the time although it is a little uncomfortable to refuse invitations to bible discussions or other activities. We actually did want to go to one but we were never in the hostel when they took place. The rooms were pretty clean but the bathrooms and showers weren't. The cafe is really nice and homey and the free breakfast is a definite plus. Although I was very disappointed that they were always out of pancakes.

• 22nd Feb 2015
  • Austria

Excellent Hostel! The breakfast is good, with special options everyday, the beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. It's a very calm and cozy hostel and I definitely would come back!

It's a great value, especially considering they include breakfast (which was very good). It's a bit close to red light district, so be mindful when walking back if you wish to avoid those streets.

• 19th Feb 2015

I had stayed only for one night! Friendly staff, good breakfast (for free), excellent location but poor facilities. Accommodation in Amsterdam costs and this is just a cheap place to stay.

A very cool place to stay. I would recommend if you are in a group. It's not a hostel to get to know people, I would say, because it is very big (too many people). Great location, clean and so on. The staff is sympathic but I didn't get cool (local) hints from them. Just the normal things already shown in any map. I really liked my stay.

Good location, just in the red-light district. very nice staff. you can find all the interesting stores and snacks just nearby. love the breakfast.

A good stay at Shelter City, the location is excellent 10 minutes walking from Amsterdam Centraal and a lot of attractions, great free breakfast and no problem waiting in the showers or toiletts.

Nice staff, Good spaces and gréât breakfast!

The staff was very friendly and helpful.There were few toilets and bathrooms for the amount of people sharing. There are lockers but u have to bring or buy ur own lock,we didn't put our stuff in the lockers and we had no problem. The food and drinks in the cafeteria in the hostel are really well priced and tasty.

• 15th Feb 2015
  • Greece

I really have nothing but good things to say here. The location was awesome, smack in the middle of Amsterdam, right around the corner from the red light district. We comfortably walked everywhere we wanted to go, never even ended up getting a bus ticket while we were there. That staff was beyond friendly and we were greeted with big ole smiles the minute we arrived. The breakfast is great, you always have three options to choose from, it isn't huge, but it was always tasty. No curfew either!

Christian hostel. Staffs tried to persaude me to join some events which are intended for their missionary work. Everytime u get into the hostel, you have to show them a paper voucher which was bit annoying. Great location. Breakfast is really awful considering some staffs are busy with cooking and serving guests. Not many seats either.

quiet, calm, great location. The cons are it is very bare bones compared to other hostels I have stayed at..no free coffee...no complimentary snacks...and whoever cleaned the bathroom missed a big chunk of hair in the drain. The staff was friendly..and I felt safe. It was an average hostel.

• 11th Feb 2015

It is a very relaxed atmosphere. Definitely and obviously strong in their Christian faith, but nobody is going to pressure you to get involved in anything religious. It's sociable in that everyone is very friendly, but it's mostly the staff that are super outgoing and friendly and not so much the guests.

Good option if you're on a budget. Nice staff, free breakfast, great location. However, the space is very small (specially in the rooms) and you don't have enough power points

The chilled atmosphere of the hostel was good and somewhat unexpected given its location in the heart of the red light district. If you are going for the intense party scene of Amsterdam maybe this hostel isn't for you, but given the nature of Amsterdam you would rather be out in the city itself than in the hostel. Rooms were clean and the breakfast was good. The only thing I would suggest is having a toaster available for toasting the bread at breakfast.

Christian books and Christian messages on the walls freaked us out a little. Overall experience was good.

Okay to rest your head for the night. Very cold throughout the building. Not very clean, but could have just been the result of the people staying there at the time. Staff were very lovely.

In the rooms there should be some tables and chairs. It's very uneasy to wonder all the time where to put your belongings.